• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipeOut HD - new screens (wow!)

Atrophis

Havent played wipeout since the since the first one. Dang it does look good. Love how smooth the curves of the tracks are. Is the engine using bezier curves like the quake 3 engine did way back when i wonder?

Half glad i didnt get round to buying a ps3 today as it would just piss me off having to wait for this :p

andycapps said:
I've actually been debating picking up the Wipeout offering on PSN for my PSP with some Christmas money... Question being whether to get COD4 for the online, Ratchet to support Insomniac and play a great game, or to buy a ton of downloadable games that I've had my eye on.. Decisions, decisions.
All of it. :).

RiverBed

Banned
lolgif050.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
andycapps said:
I've actually been debating picking up the Wipeout offering on PSN for my PSP with some Christmas money... Question being whether to get COD4 for the online, Ratchet to support Insomniac and play a great game, or to buy a ton of downloadable games that I've had my eye on.. Decisions, decisions.

you mean the old PSone one ? no it's not that good for today's standards , you may hate the series because of it , if you want a Wipeout go buy Wipeout pulse or Wipeout pure ( now for $18.99 greatest hit ) for your PSP .

meppi

Totobeni said:
you mean the old PSone one ? no it's not that good for today's standards , you may hate the series because of it , if you want a Wipeout go buy Wipeout pulse or Wipeout pure

Fantastic gameplay doesn't age at all, it's just that some people become graphic whores over time.
I've been playing the original on Saturn and Wip3out 3 on PSone alongside the 2 PSP games these last couple of weeks. They are all great in their own right, even though the gameplay engine has gone through several changed over the course of the years.

meppi said:
Fantastic gameplay doesn't age at all, it's just that some people become graphic whores over time.
I've been playing the original on Saturn and Wip3out 3 on PSone alongside the 2 PSP games these last couple of weeks. They are all great in their own right, even though the gameplay engine has gone through several changed over the course of the years.

Yeah, the Wipeout series is timeless. The only one that's a bit strenuous is the first, mainly because it's so sensitive to walls. But they're all still incredibly playable, because every track of the series is so lovingly and thoughtfully crafted.

I love you, Wipeout.

meppi

The only one that I didn't fall in love with was the PS2 game.

It did get better after putting many, many hours into it but it never reached the same levels as every other game in the series for me personally.
Not sure why that was the case, since it's been a couple of years since I last played it, but I believe it was a combination of the game being to one sided when comparing combat with actual racing, the handling of the crafts, the courses not living up to the same standard and the music being pretty awefull.

I'm so glad they turned things around with Pure and now Pulse.
Everything feels pretty much perfect in these and the soundtrack in Pulse in just godly.
The one thing I hate is that they never ported the games to the PS2 as well. I just want to play them on the big screen.
I even thought about buying a slim to do just that, but seeing as games won't play on a regular CRT I'm pretty much screwed. :(

meppi said:
The only one that I didn't fall in love with was the PS2 game.

It did get better after putting many, many hours into it but it never reached the same levels as every other game in the series for me personally.
Not sure why that was the case, since it's been a couple of years since I last played it, but I believe it was a combination of the game being to one sided when comparing combat with actual racing, the handling of the crafts, the courses not living up to the same standard and the music being pretty awefull.

I'm so glad they turned things around with Pure and now Pulse.
Everything feels pretty much perfect in these and the soundtrack in Pulse in just godly.
The one thing I hate is that they never ported the games to the PS2 as well. I just want to play them on the big screen.
I even thought about buying a slim to do just that, but seeing as games won't play on a regular CRT I'm pretty much screwed. :(

Yeah. Fusion was a departure for sure, but I loved a lot about it. Mostly the visual upgrade. I think the time between 3 and Fusion had also ballooned the expectations of Fusion to an insane degree. I remember imagining, on Zone, having the tracks of all 3 games on a single DVD! The entire history of the game in one place!

But looking back, there's still a lot to enjoy in Fusion.

But, um, what's this about a CRT?

meppi

Well I read in one of those PSPslim threads a while back that you can view UMD movies on a regular tv with a slim, but for some stupid reason you need to have a tv that can handle certain inputs and also does progressive if I remember correctly.

Something my 3 year old Panasonic CRT certainly doesn't, so I'm doomed to play them in bed with headphones, at least for a couple more years. ;)

meppi said:
Well I read in one of those PSPslim threads a while back that you can view UMD movies on a regular tv with a slim, but for some stupid reason you need to have a tv that can handle certain inputs and also does progressive if I remember correctly.

Something my 3 year old Panasonic CRT certainly doesn't, so I'm doomed to play them in bed with headphones, at least for a couple more years. ;)

I see.

Ah, well, there are worse things in the world. I bet they look so great squinched down on a PSP screen, though.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This past few days all ive been doing is playing Wipeout Pure and Pulse. Now i see these pictures and have fallen even more in love. This has now become my most anticipated game for 08.

TONX said:
This past few days all ive been doing is playing Wipeout Pure and Pulse. Now i see these pictures and have fallen even more in love. This has now become my most anticipated game for 08.

Pulse? The euro promo?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
last one I played was XL on the PS1. Liked it alot but I was bummed that it didn't support the NeGcon :(

Totobeni said:
you mean the old PSone one ? no it's not that good for today's standards , you may hate the series because of it , if you want a Wipeout go buy Wipeout pulse or Wipeout pure ( now for $18.99 greatest hit ) for your PSP .

I haven't played either Pulse or Pure (or the godawful PS2 one, Fusion was it?), but out of the PSOne trilogy Wipeout XL is by far my favorite and I think is still very playable and enjoyable today. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was rereleased for PSN.

Meier

Very impressive -- I had a blast playing the Wipeout game for PSP online when I had one. Makes me yearn for a new F-Zero.

Kosma

Banned
A shameful bump, but has anyone heard anything about a final release date? The version I played a few months ago seemed finished :(

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
oo Kosma oo said:
A shameful bump, but has anyone heard anything about a final release date? The version I played a few months ago seemed finished :(

Hoping for new info at GDC.

Kosma

Banned
Would you prefer I made a new pointless thread about it? That could result in heart failure, and me getting junior status (at least in my mind, because seeing the kind of threads that are made.....)

Pimpwerx

Holy shit! How did I miss this thread? The game looks crazy. This is just HD, too. With this kind of effort for a PSN game, maybe they don't intend on making a real full-blown Wipeout. I hope that's not the case. My mind boggles at what they could do with a full-scale effort. PEACE.

Grayman

Man I was ready for this game in like september.

What the fuck is sony doing not having their interim games out in 2008? When it WO5 coming 2013?

Kosma

Banned
I really don't think we will see WO5 on the PS3, this is it, and maybe a PSN expansion pack or something.

oo Kosma oo said:
I really don't think we will see WO5 on the PS3, this is it, and maybe a PSN expansion pack or something.

So what is Sony Liverpool going to do other than this? They don't have the F1 license to bother them anymore, so they mainly make WO games.

Kosma

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So what is Sony Liverpool going to do other than this? They don't have the F1 license to bother them anymore, so they mainly make WO games.

No clue mate, really. I just hope this franchise never dies, because it keeps getting better.

oo Kosma oo said:
No clue mate, really. I just hope this franchise never dies, because it keeps getting better.

This to me seems like another SOCOM situation. There's one team working on a version of SOCOM they can get out quick and on PSN, while the main team is working on the true sequel that's a way off. It's basically a way of giving hardcore fans something to hold them over until they can get the real thing done.

Grayman

SolidSnakex said:
This to me seems like another SOCOM situation. There's one team working on a version of SOCOM they can get out quick and on PSN, while the main team is working on the true sequel that's a way off. It's basically a way of giving hardcore fans something to hold them over until they can get the real thing done.
yeah except the little games haven't come and seem as far off as full games.

Kosma

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

According to Wiki (-_- I know) they have a 100 employees, so besides the people working on this (25? according to the OP) there are still 75 people unaccounted for. The next Wipeout is said to be in the works, but wouldn't it be more logical to have these guys finish Wipeout HD (most of which did Pulse and Pure too) and have them move to next Wipeout, while the other guys (former Formula 1) work on some new IP?

Just speculating.

Esperado

I don't know why, but for some reason I skipped these threads initially. After seeing these screens, the memories of WipeOut Pure returned and now I can't wait. I'm kind of hoping WipeOut HD becomes a platform and not just a single experience. What I mean is that I hope they keep releasing new maps and vehicles instead of yearly sequels.

Kosma

Banned
OMG MY FACE IS MELTING AND MY EARS ARE BLEEDING FROM ALL THE AWESOME!!!!

NEED TO SEND PS3 TO REPAIR ASAP 111111111

Top Bottom