• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is pretty clear that this game got a massive change in art direction, along with a significant graphics downgrade. I do not really care about the drop in graphics, but the change from a dark and gritty art style to a more colourful one really bothers me. This has been apparent for quite a while now. Personally, I cancelled my preorder of the Collectors Edition many months ago. There is no way I am walking into to this game completely blind. I will probably pick it up later when the inevitable Enhanced Edition hits.

Sid

I think that Bloodborne looked same, AC Unity was almost same (huge drawing distance for 5 seconds in initial reveal wasn't in game) but generally AC games are really close to initial reveal , Wolfenstein, Sunset Overdrive, i think that Dragon Age looked really close to initial reveal... So there are games that looked same.
Killzone:SF and Infamous Second Son as well,also The Order 1886 looked better than its announce trailer

Faith

So we are really comparing screenshots from low-quality YT videos?

Sometimes I think that we don't deserve good games anymore. We should just get crap like The Order.

szaromir

Banned
Frankly I think we have gotten the videogames industry we deserve.

Which is unfortunate.

It is an industry where the most trusted journalists are still almost exclusively just producing work as fanboy enthusiasts. Acting mostly as unpaid marketing arms of the industry.

Where consumers by and large have put up with and allowed the industry to normalize almost every bad practice they have introduced over the years. Heck you get to a point where people will even defend them for doing it and try and shame others for not just accepting it. This thread is a bit of an illustration of that process at work.
IMO it's not such a bad industry from the consumer point of view. The worst part are free to launch games engineered to squeeze money out of the player base.

CDProjekt scaling back on the initial vision is a sad reality of development, but the fact that they don't admit to it is really more of "damned if they do, damned if they don't" case, where openly stating it would generate as much bad press as denying it.

Fuz

Banned
Funny how CD Projekt RED gets a pass but Ubisoft gets all the flak.

Maybe because CDPR has always been pro-consumer(Ok, let's forget for a minute that xbone CE fuckup), while ubisoft always did things like this:
7LK.jpg

Maybe?
And maybe because the downgrade, if there's really one, is just not as big as watch dogs' one?

Edit: Holy shit, 23 pages already?

Sanctuary

Reading this thread one would think that EA/Ubisoft were always the lying, corporate giants that they are today and that CDPR has released countless upon countless flawless titles across decades. Not just two.

sgs2008

Does anyone remember that gif of Geralt walking through a dungeon's door with a torch?

That's one of the gifs that completely floored me back in 2013 when it was first shown.

[edit]

fuuuuck

2504401-6535952199-ip9VU.gif

What could have been. :(

Yea that and the bath house scene made me realise the downgrade was there, incase you wanted to knwo they are in 1:22-1:25 of the sword of destiny trailer

Don't be stupid... don't buy games mostly for their visuals. Enjoy games for all they have to offer.

I'm waiting U4 since they promised a lot of changes in the gameplay and I was bored with the 3rd one. Now graphics look awesome in their trailers but if there is a "downgrade" but gameplay keeps being interesting and even better if it's so we can have 60fps or constant 30fps with no tearing I'm more than ok for a little downgrade. Still I wish devs and editors would be less stupid pushing people to focus on graphics with their stupid trailers and PR communication :/

Fuz

Banned
Reading this thread one would think that EA/Ubisoft were always the lying, corporate giants that they are today and that CDPR has released countless upon countless flawless titles across decades. Not just two.

They also have GOG. Which is extremely pro-consumer.

It is pretty clear that this game got a massive change in art direction, along with a significant graphics downgrade. I do not really care about the drop in graphics, but the change from a dark and gritty art style to a more colourful one really bothers me. This has been apparent for quite a while now. Personally, I cancelled my preorder of the Collectors Edition many months ago. There is no way I am walking into to this game completely blind. I will probably pick it up later when the inevitable Enhanced Edition hits.

The art style change doesn't bother me too much, but I think its more apparent than the actual downgrade that's happened. As I've said earlier in the thread, the game STILL looks incredible, but it looks almost 'cartoony' and stylised rather than the darker, more muted colour palette that matches the first to Witcher games, that we were originally shown in 2013-2014.

Sanctuary

Chû Totoro;163393108 said:
Still I wish devs and editors would be less stupid pushing people to focus on graphics with their stupid trailers and PR communication :/

You can't make mass market advertisements for 60fps or tactical gameplay in a matter of 20s that will grab people's attention.

They also have GOG. Which is extremely pro-consumer.

This is still pretty stupid. They haven't even been a known commodity for ten years yet, while these other companies have had ages to tarnish their once good reputations.

I think that Bloodborne looked same, AC Unity was almost same (huge drawing distance for 5 seconds in initial reveal wasn't in game) but generally AC games are really close to initial reveal , Wolfenstein, Sunset Overdrive, i think that Dragon Age looked really close to initial reveal... So there are games that looked same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzBJPOcmke0

My AC Unity on X1 didn't run nearly as smooth. I would have actually liked it if they downgraded the visuals in favor of the FPS.
But yeah, the other games you named did not differentiate much.

Very disappointing. I really don't want downgrades and showing PC footage as console footage to be a trend. It seems like it already is.

It's always been a thing
_1371234169.jpg

The game's clearly been downgraded in some areas, and improved in some. Some areas look better, and some look worse. I think the point at which the game looked best was probably E3 2014.

Jonm1010

Banned
IMO it's not such a bad industry from the consumer point of view. The worst part are free to launch games engineered to squeeze money out of the player base.

CDProjekt scaling back on the initial vision is a sad reality of development, but the fact that they don't admit to it is really more of "damned if they do, damned if they don't" case, where openly stating it would generate as much bad press as denying it.

But we as consumers have accepted false advertisement as the norm. Or at least if GAF is to be a measuring stick, it is slowly becoming an accepted behavior for the industry to engage in. If you are a highly regarded company you get an even easier pass for that behavior as evidence of the backlash against witcher downgrade posts.

I actually think it is about the most corporate friendly entertainment industry around right now. it's like if the entire movie industry was basically just E! style coverage at every outlet.

The movie and music industry would LOVE to get the sort of success rate the games industry has in terms of acceptance to their monetization attempts and freedom of consequences from marketing deception.

Denton

CDP is 20 years old company that has always done great things, even if there were couple mistakes along the way.

It was before the introduction of regional pricing. Now it's just like any other store around, except you can buy DRM free games instead of Steam ones.

Which other shops give you credit for purchasing from more expensive regions?

Shredderi

It's good that we have a dedicated thread for this, as I too don't want this talk to dominate in any form in the OT thread when the game comes. Let us not pollute the other threads with this stuff but let's also not pollute this thread with "it doesn't matter to me" posts either that don't actually discuss about whether there has been a downgraded or not.

I can see clearly the change in art direction. Not talking about a technical downgrade necessarily here. The colors are a lot more saturated now and less "realistic". I think this one comes down to personal taste however. I myself really preferred the old less cartoony direction. Thing is, I do actually like the way it is now too, but if given the choice between the two I would choose the older style.

The interesting part is always the automatic backpedaling that spontaneously arises in people's mind:

- There isn't going to be any downgrade!

- There is no downgrade, it was just a trailer!

- It's because youtube compressed the video!

- If there was a downgrade it was just about tiny details and artistic choice!

- It is only on the vegetation!

- The game still looks beautiful!

- Even if it doesn't look as promised it's the gameplay that matters!

As time passes wishful thinking has to face truth, does it mean people learn? Nope, they only adapt perception and their own desires. If at one time you desired a wonderful game, after that isn't possible you'll just accept as willingly a lower compromise.

If people wanted grapes but only got sour grapes, they'll still tell you it's the sour grapes they wanted all along. The mind conforms to reality.

People want to BELIEVE The Witcher 3 to be great more than they want to know if it's actually true.

Next time, next game it will be all over again, believing the pre-rendered videos and screenshots and expecting them to actually tell anything meaningful about the final game.

We'll also see about the 200 hours length claim. That too will have to face reality at some point.

the way I look at it is that if it were downgraded on my particular platform, it's because the game cannot run properly yet at the previous settings. so, the final version is running the best it can look for now. as long as it's looking as good as it can, then i'm OK with it. it's too bad if it cannot look like a previous goal but that's about as relevant as that ever is.

so however good it ends up looking is neither too good or too poor but exactly how it was always going to end up looking.

Which becomes a problem when you advertise your game with visuals superior to what it ships with. And the advantage of PCs is they have settings menus for visuals. If it doesn't run well yet on Ultra, no problem, leave it in for the next generation or two of GPUs. That worked out pretty damn well for Crysis. Scale it down for consoles, but please not for PC, and especially not when you're advertising it with settings beyond what it ships with.

Heck, they're still using screenshots from the early trailers on their store page. None of their screenshots advertise the current downgraded build:

raphier

Banned
The interesting part is always the automatic backpedaling that spontaneously arises in people's mind:

Don't forget "oh, put that is just not the same area" and 'different weather' like it's cool argument. Although come on guys, Don't be so synical, It's still better looking than skyrim and that's enough for me.

Nugg

Maybe because CDPR has always been pro-consumer(Ok, let's forget for a minute that xbone CE fuckup), while ubisoft always did things like this:
7LK.jpg

Maybe?
And maybe because the downgrade, if there's really one, is just not as big as watch dogs' one?

Edit: Holy shit, 23 pages already?

As always, when someone posts this misleading crap: get the game on playstation + the season pass, and you get EVERYTHING (minus physical junk).

Houndi101

Sad thing about the aesthetic change that it makes Witcher look like cartoony Dragon Age instead of realistic and low fantasy Witcher 2

sunnz

It is disappointing the game wont look as atmospheric( that's what annoys me, it looks so good because it looked so alive,real and gritty), clean and visually stunning as the earlier videos made us believe but it will still be a gorgeous game with so much to do and a lot of fun will be had.

The noticeable difference is that the game goes from being atmospheric, real and gritty to cartoony and looks like a game ( I know its a came but still) ..

Jonm1010

Banned
Sad thing about the aesthetic change that it makes Witcher look like cartoony Dragon Age instead of realistic and low fantasy Witcher 2
Yeah, downgrade aside, I really do not like the artistic shift in tone of the game. The original reveal and early footage had a gritty but still colorful tone to it. Now it looks more cartoonish.

With the amount of comments about it I am optimistic that mods will hopefully do a fairly decent job at tackling it though.

You could also add something along the lines of "Really, I'm fine with this downgrade because it's from one of my favorite devs, CDPR, not the EA & co. scumbags that screw us over all the time!"

It's not like they made some common mistake or anything, CPDR intentionally deceived (or tried to) everyone with the initial footage and has since uphold the lie that supposedly nothing was downgraded. In the grand scheme of things that doesn't have to mean CDPR is now a bad developer or anything, but please call out scummy practices for what they are.

deejay

Let's just wait before it releases before we decide that it looks like crap, ok? It can still look amazingly beautiful.
Hell, even Watch_Dogs looked great with everything turned up. No, it didn't look like the E3 trailer, but come on, it were definitely no PS2 graphics (or whatever the hell you want to compare them with).

Always these discussions... Growing tired of them.

It's not like they made some common mistake or anything, CPDR intentionally deceived (or tried to) everyone with the initial footage and has since uphold the lie that supposedly nothing was downgraded. In the grand scheme of things that doesn't have to mean CDPR is now a bad developer or anything, but please call out scummy practices for what they are.

Yep, they specifically promised there was no downgrade and there never would be. That if anything the game would look better than the screenshots:

"The final version of the game will look better than what can be seen in the latest screenshots – no matter the platform. As you probably know, when publishing screenshots, some of them can be subjectively less appealing than others (depending on one’s opinion), that’s perfectly normal. The most important thing here is that the game will come out looking gorgeous when we are done working on it. There will be no downgrade."

Majukun

But we as consumers have accepted false advertisement as the norm. Or at least if GAF is to be a measuring stick, it is slowly becoming an accepted behavior for the industry to engage in. If you are a highly regarded company you get an even easier pass for that behavior as evidence of the backlash against witcher downgrade posts.

I actually think it is about the most corporate friendly entertainment industry around right now. it's like if the entire movie industry was basically just E! style coverage at every outlet.

The movie and music industry would LOVE to get the sort of success rate the games industry has in terms of acceptance to their monetization attempts and freedom of consequences from marketing deception.
quoted for truth..it's absurd

Jonm1010

Banned
I think the downgrade issue combined with the aesthetic change has pushed me to the point that I am not sure I will get the game day 1 anymore.

I kinda want to take a wait and see approach to see just how extensive the downgrade is and might wait a While until the mod community can get a few high quality mods out to clean up a bit of the downgraded assets and maybe try and match the tone of the initial trailers.

I have faith the underlying bones of the game will be excellent if history of their products is the judge, but I would of preferred to combine that experience with the sort of visual flair they originally promised.

noshten

Are there games on this scale which look better?
Do you think the Ultra settings are going to be the maximum of graphical fidelity for the Witcher or will future updates and patches to the PC version allow it to scale further?

Personally Iooking at the game it looks fantastic, my PC is ready and I know for a fact that there is going to be plenty of FREE post launch support. I'm also not quite sure if we have seen the Witcher 3 MAXED out yet.

OmegaDL50

As time passes wishful thinking has to face truth, does it mean people learn? Nope, they only adapt perception and their own desires. If at one time you desired a wonderful game, after that isn't possible you'll just accept as willingly a lower compromise.

If people wanted grapes but only got sour grapes, they'll still tell you it's the sour grapes they wanted all along. The mind conforms to reality.

People want to BELIEVE The Witcher 3 to be great more than they want to know if it's actually true.

Next time, next game it will be all over again, believing the pre-rendered videos and screenshots and expecting them to actually tell anything meaningful about the final game.

We'll also see about the 200 hours length claim. That too will have to face reality at some point.

So are you saying despite the downgrade that the Witcher 3 won't be a wonderful game? Is that what it's come down to?

Have we gone beyond just criticizing just the downgrade but questioning the overall quality of the entire game itself.

I would say a 200 hour game length sounds kind of bloated, however The Witcher 3 unlike the previous games being open world may just have enough fill in content in it's world to make a completionist save file to have considerable length.

I mean in comparison The Witcher 2 is hub and act based and for for the sake of completion in doing absolutely every thing in the game, it can take upwards of 60 hours.

I don't necessarily believe that difference in The Witcher 3 being open world gives the potential to have 140 more hours of game length over The Witcher 2, so I'd definitely say a more realistic and fair estimate may be 75 to 80 hours.....100 hours if we are lucky, which is half of the estimated 200.

Majukun

Let's just wait before it releases before we decide that it looks like crap, ok? It can still look amazingly beautiful.
Hell, even Watch_Dogs looked great with everything turned up. No, it didn't look like the E3 trailer, but come on, it were definitely no PS2 graphics (or whatever the hell you want to compare them with).

Always these discussions... Growing tired of them.

nobody decided that or even said that

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Are there games on this scale which look better?
Do you think the Ultra settings are going to be the maximum of graphical fidelity for the Witcher or will future updates and patches to the PC version allow it to scale further?

Personally Iooking at the game it looks fantastic, my PC is ready and I know for a fact that there is going to be plenty of FREE post launch support. I'm also not quite sure if we have seen the Witcher 3 MAXED out yet.
It's only a few more days dude. Let it be. The dream is dead.

Tenebrous

Which other shops give you credit for purchasing from more expensive regions?

It's still not great. It's like paying £30k for a £20k car only for the dealer to give you back £10k in store credit, must use here, no withdrawals, etc.

Can't they just price shit fairly?

Black Hat

It is pretty clear that this game got a massive change in art direction, along with a significant graphics downgrade. I do not really care about the drop in graphics, but the change from a dark and gritty art style to a more colourful one really bothers me.

How certain are we that the whole game has this "colourful" art style.

Could certainly be limited to the "White Orchard" sunny area in which the game begins... and that's what we've mostly seen footage and screenshots of so far.

SaberEdge

The people who are using the footage from a one-minute trailer from 2013 and measuring all other footage from 2014 and 2015 against it are misleading themselves. CDProjekt showed the first playable build at E3 2014 and compared to that there has been no downgrade. You have seen hours of footage since then so I really don't know how you can claim that CDProjekt lied to you and tried to mislead you with a straight face.

Exactly this. It only makes sense to compare raw gameplay footage to raw gameplay footage. If people want to start a "trailer wars" thread and argue the old trailers look better than the new trailers then that's one thing, but comparing highly cinematic, carefully edited trailers to raw uncut gameplay is pretty nonsensical.

I think why some people are convinced it looked better before, but can't really articulate why, is for this very reason.

In my opinion the recent gameplay trailer looks every bit as good as the earlier trailers anyway.

Jackpot

Banned

People want to BELIEVE The Witcher 3 to be great more than they want to know if it's actually true

Exactly. This downgrade is significantly more obvious than most.

I do not really care about the drop in graphics, but the change from a dark and gritty art style to a more colourful one really bothers me.

I remember throwing this same criticism at Diablo 3 before its release. While it never matched the bloody, gothic style of Diablo 2, it still turned out alright.

Majukun

No need, implying it is enough.

all people are doing it's accusing the developers of false advertising,and that the game looks nowhere near as good as it looked before.
saying that and saying it looks like crap are not the same thing..he can look good,even amazing,and still look worse thatn what was promised to us.

Denton

That's a positive things, for sure, but consider other stores have similar things:

-you can use credits from card selling on Steam
-you can use credits on GMG
-you can use credits on Gamersgate

Yes, it's different, but in the end each store try to fidelize its customers.

And I'm talking as GOG customer, since I have around 170 games here.

Those are completely different (not "similar") things, even if they all use the word "credit".
No other shop refunds you the currency regional difference, period.
I am digital distribution customer. I have over 100 games on GOG, over 400 on Steam, dozens on GMG, Gamergate, Gamesplanet, Amazon etc.
GOG is the current gold standard, for many reasons.

It's still not great. It's like paying £30k for a £20k car only for the dealer to give you back £10k in store credit, must use here, no withdrawals, etc.

Can't they just price shit fairly?

No, they cannot if they want to sell games whose authors disallow it.

deejay

all people are doing it's accusing the developers of false advertising,and that the game looks nowhere near as good as it looked before.
saying that and saying it looks like crap are not the same thing..he can look good,even amazing,and still look worse thatn what was promised to us.

How was this 'promised' to us? It's always been a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom