• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Checked out a bit of the streams today. I think DA:I looks better overall, except for character models. The lighting just seems very flat and last gen.

Who woulda thunk that dynamic weather and TOD is more difficult than a fixed lighting solution?

It feels like its way too early in the generation for consoles to be holding back PC potential this much. Damnit this is going to be a long console generation for PC gamers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

boevir3vu4urr.png

cwf3didhej8b.png

The main difference between these two images, outside of NPC density, is the tone of assets. And the tone of lighting. It's quite odd, as aesthetically more or less everything between the two images is identical, but many of the assets are lit differently and/or have taken on a new tone.

With foliage it does make me wonder how much of the new look is due to the way the engine apparently handles foliage, in that it adjusts the tones based on the surface colour underneath in an effort to blend them in. Seems very aggressive in that shot.

Also needs a dash of AO.

Raven77

It feels like its way too early in the generation for consoles to be holding back PC potential this much. Damnit this is going to be a long console generation for PC gamers.

Precisely why I am now holding off on putting together my new PC. I see no point at all in spending over a thousand dollars to play suped up ports if that's what PC gamers end up getting for the next 4-5 years.

buffelo

Neo Member
Look no further than Star Citizen.

Ha, i hear you man, but that game seems so big and intimidating, and I don't have a flight stick or fancy HOTAS setup. Maybe I'll give it a shot when it's further along in development. Game does look gorgeous though.

Well uh, I don't know who that guy is, but just because someone got a rig for free doesn't necessarily mean it is contradictory or hypocritical of him to make that observation.

Uh, it is, because no developer is going to make games for the 1% that have rigs that everyone else can't afford. They target what the largest audience have, and consoles are the best target.

It's business.

Mandon

Banned
The main difference between these two images, outside of NPC density, is the tone of assets. And the tone of lighting. It's quite odd, as aesthetically more or less everything between the two images is identical, but many of the assets are lit differently and/or have taken on a new tone.

With foliage it does make me wonder how much of the new look is due to the way the engine apparently handles foliage, in that it adjusts the tones based on the surface colour underneath in an effort to blend them in. Seems very aggressive in that shot.

Also needs a dash of AO.

Population density's an interesting thing though.... I mean look at GTA V on PC. It's entirely possible there will be more people inhabiting Novigrad on the PC version, in which case the difference would be minimal.

buffelo

Neo Member
Uh, it is, because no developer is going to make games for the 1% that have rigs that everyone else can't afford. They target what the largest audience have, and consoles are the best target.

It's business.

Fair enough, but there are still things they can do to let people capitalize on having monster rigs like having robust AA options, increased draw distance, etc.

Vitor711

Oh god my soul, it hurts.

Like, you people get that the final screen is from a PS4, right?

I don't deny that the graphics have taken a hit but that comparison picture is BAD. Let's all wait until Tuesday and see what it looks like maxed out. I just bought a 980 equipped machine to do just that.

buffelo

Neo Member
Yes it was. It was just running on very high end hardware and wasn't exactly representative of the final product.

I guess the question now is what is the proper place for material of this kind in marketing games? Does it need a disclaimer? Should devs be more transparent? Should we be less naive? It's a tough thing.

Downgrades don't affect me as I go on media blackouts, but I'm glad people bitch about them because I'm sick of false advertising by these companies prerelease.

Games use to get better looking as production goes on, remember God of war 3? Now they seem to start impossibly high and eventually lose the great atmosphere they show off.

It's annoying.

VanWinkle

Also needs a dash of AO.

That's what I was thinking. The detail is all still there, but there is an obvious huge divide in the look. The art style seems to have changed dramatically, to something now more akin to Dragon Age: Inquisition.

tuxfool

Banned
Fair enough, but there are still things they can do to let people capitalize on having monster rigs like having robust AA options, increased draw distance, etc.

And you don't think that they have done that? what does more draw distance look like in the context of what has been shown in this thread so far?

viveks86

Then there is also the fact that people keep on posting bullshit gifs without a care in the world in accurately determining between what has changed and what hasn't.

Randoms then come into the thread and cry "what could have been" without actually considering artistic changes and technological changes.

Forgive them, brother. We are all traveling to the same destination. But in different vehicles at different speeds.

I have no idea what I just said, but I wanted to. Deal with it. :p

Lunar15

Also needs a dash of AO.

As much as I hate to say it, the details aren't even there in the second shot. Perhaps it's load distance, but tons of details like paint chipping off of the walls and rocks holding down the ceiling tiles are completely gone. It's slightly more than just lighting. I'm hoping that's a PC to PS4 type thing, but I doubt it.

vpance

Who woulda thunk that dynamic weather and TOD is more difficult than a fixed lighting solution?

Definitely more difficult.

I think GTAV will still be the best looking open world game for a while longer, maybe until The Division. Such great dynamic lighting in it.

2013 trailer was never gameplay.

Only yourselves to blame for being so naive.

TBF they faked it juuust well enough so that the carrot wasn't too far away to be so blatantly obvious. Masterful manipulation.

tuxfool

Banned

I think GTAV will still be the best looking open world game for a while longer, maybe until The Division. Such great dynamic lighting in it.

Don't worry. They have already said they have turned down the asset quality in the Division. You should forget what you saw in previous demos.

Lunar15

Quite frankly, as much as the downgrade here disheartens me, I'd have to say that Witcher 3 still tops it by a good margin, at least in my opinion.

buffelo

Neo Member
Quite frankly, as much as the downgrade here disheartens me, I'd have to say that Witcher 3 still tops it by a good margin, at least in my opinion.

I'm with you, I think the game looks nice despite whatever downgrade. I think it's just more the symbolic meaning of the downgrade itself that bothers people, the fact that CDPR, who seemed beyond reproach, did something perhaps for expediency and to maximize profits.Which, hey, it's though to blame them. Still, who doesn't want to play that 2013 build?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think the reality of development is what it is. If it wasn't consoles, it would be lower configurations of PC's holding back developers, as well as the base cost of investment.

Its just something PC players have to learn to get on with. A majority of last gen games were 360 based by default(even those games later in the gen that were started on PC engine wise were eventually scaled down in order to meet the minimum requirement for 360 and PS3.

I think the bright side is, if it werent for PS4 and XB1 bringing up the baseline, a game like witcher 3 to begin with as it current exists, with all its scope could not really exist anyway, forget about what you saw in the trailers.

I'm just making the argument that the cost of development is a lot more than people attacking consoles out of bitterness realize.

vpance

Don't worry. They have already said they have turned down the asset quality in the Division. You should forget what you saw in previous demos.

Still always hope for the PC version on ultra. That's half the fun in anticipating new AAA releases these days.

The Llama

If nothing else, this should serve as a reminder to people not to pre-order. Wait until games are actually released and assess them based on what the developers have actually delivered, not based on what they promised.

viveks86

I think the reality of development is what it is. If it wasn't consoles, it would be lower configurations of PC's holding back developers, as well as the base cost of investment.

Its just something PC players have to learn to get on with. A majority of last gen games were 360 based by default(even those games later in the gen that were started on PC engine wise were eventually scaled down in order to meet the minimum requirement for 360 and PS3.

I think the bright side is, if it werent for PS4 and XB1 bringing up the baseline, a game like witcher 3 to begin with as it current exists, with all its scope could not really exist anyway, forget about what you saw in the trailers.

I'm just making the argument that the cost of development is a lot more than people attacking consoles out of bitterness realize.

Yeah I don't understand the bitterness towards consoles. People are finding a scapegoat to blame. What I do understand is the bitterness of being lied to. CDPR is currently accused of lying to us, with no closure in sight for another 5 days! 5 days of endlessly refreshing this thread. Ugh! :/

buffelo

Neo Member
If nothing else, this should serve as a reminder to people not to pre-order. Wait until games are actually released and assess them based on what the developers have actually delivered, not based on what they promised.

I agree. Unfortunately, when I preoredered I was caught up in all the romanticizing of CDPR and what a great, pro-gamer studio they are, and I wanted them to have my money early so they could put it to good use. Next time I'm going to try to stay more grounded in reality.

Coflash

Yeah I don't understand the bitterness towards consoles

We had two games previous to TW3 that looked great before and after release. This is especially true for The Witcher 2.

A console version of TW2 came out later on and had to be downgraded, understandably so.

Here we are with the third installment, where the series has opted for a multiplatform release for the first time, and we have all of these technical problems that have lead to a downgrade because they want parity and consoles aren't powerful enough to do what a PC can do.

If they had opted to do it the same way as TW2, there wouldn't be anywhere near as many issues.

Consoles holding us back, yet again. If anyone believes that better visuals don't add to the experience or atmosphere (I say this, because it's generally the next thing someone replies back with) then they may as well remove most of the effects and visual improvements that make the game world look and feel better.

Cerity

As much as I hate to say it, the details aren't even there in the second shot. Perhaps it's load distance, but tons of details like paint chipping off of the walls and rocks holding down the ceiling tiles are completely gone. It's slightly more than just lighting. I'm hoping that's a PC to PS4 type thing, but I doubt it.

It's the sharpening, for some reason the recent trailers and console screenshots we've gotten so far aren't using it and there is an option on PC for it. It makes a pretty big difference in the second game and it looks like it'll be the same here unless they've dialed the effect back by that much. I knew that they sharpened the second game so I turned it off earlier but didn't realise how much of an effect it actually had, some screenshots I took earlier.

viveks86

If they had opted to do it the same was as TW2, there wouldn't be anywhere near as many issues.

Consoles holding us back, yet again. If anyone believes that better visuals don't add to the experience or atmosphere (I say this, because it's generally the next thing someone replies back with) then they may as well remove most of the effects and visual improvements that make the game world look and feel better.

But would they have had as much potential revenue to risk making a massive open world game? Consoles are holding PC games back technically, sure, but they are making things possible financially by simply expanding market reach. To suggest that they are deadweight is missing the big picture.

RedSwirl

I posted these earlier in the thread. These 2 really show how much atmosphere was lost with the downgrades.

W2475ee.gif

ilo8ZEuf1yn7w.gif

[edit]

Completely subjective but I think the new artstyle really hurt the swamps. The old colors looked a lot better here.

They both look great but I'm personally not sure I like the old version more than the new one.

Reposting:

nwqnoy.gif

boevir3vu4urr.png

cwf3didhej8b.png

Compression, time of day, weather, seasons and all that, but I think it's safe to say there are a lot of details that have been removed/reduced.

I still think it looks great and I think they did a great job. While it still isn't entirely impossible the PC-version will look like the gameplay from 2013 (like CDPR are saying), it's very unlikely.

It should have been the other way round. T_T
They game still looks really good but I guess we're all a little disheartened with what it could have looked like.
It's like showing us a cake and giving us candy, I like candy but I wanted the cake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Technical considerations aside, I really do prefer the old color grading. The final colors don't look bad by any means, they're quite nice, but the original look really adds personality to the areas and conveys various tones and emotion just from looking at it. I'm guessing given the sheer amount of dynamic stuff in this game (weather/time of day) it would have been tough to color grade everything appropriately all the time so they went with the more natural/original source color.

CHC

Technical considerations aside, I really do prefer the old color grading. The final colors don't look bad by any means, they're quite nice, but the original look really adds personality to the areas and conveys various tones and emotion just from looking at it. I'm guessing given the sheer amount of dynamic stuff in this game (weather/time of day) it would have been tough to color grade everything appropriately all the time so they went with the more natural/original source color.

Should be easy to emulate the original look via SweetFX, it's just a cooler, desaturated image with more contrast.

dlauv

In all of the PS4 version videos and screenshots I've seen, the colors are either saturated or unsaturated. The unsaturated captures look fairly poor. Could be due to the gamma of the capture, or maybe certain daylight prescribes a certain amount of saturation. I've seen more saturated than not, however.

The big killer for me is definitely the lack of NPC density. I want it densssssse. The sharpening config in the ini and the AO in the PC versions will do the rest.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oops. Well you can always fiddle with your TV if you won't be playing anything else at the same time! (Half kidding)

LOL

I'm kind of obsessive about my TV settings so that suggestion literally made my eye twitch. That actually plays into why I'm not a PC gamer any more. I spent so much time preoccupied with tweaking settings that I never really paid attention to the games themselves. Even just recently playing Portal 2 on my new laptop, I kept pausing to tinker every few minutes. Drove me nuts and I enjoyed the game less because of it. On a console, I can just get my TV set up properly and pop the game in without having the temptation to tinker with it.

justjim89

Dishonesty aside, this seems like a pretty open and shut case of having to downgrade for the sake of console performance. The game was first shown when specs weren't known, but as the realities of the consoles' abilities meant they either needed to make separate versions of the game or downgrade it all. This is what happens when you take a great PC series and then promise day and date console versions. It's a shame.

Though I won't lie, I'm hoping the downgrade means it'll run better on my PC.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We had two games previous to TW3 that looked great before and after release. This is especially true for The Witcher 2.

A console version of TW2 came out later on and had to be downgraded, understandably so.

Here we are with the third installment, where the series has opted for a multiplatform release for the first time, and we have all of these technical problems that have lead to a downgrade because they want parity and consoles aren't powerful enough to do what a PC can do.

If they had opted to do it the same way as TW2, there wouldn't be anywhere near as many issues

I think it is a fair assessment to make that if the Witcher 2 model was tried with Witcher 3, it would not have been greenlighted for development on a PC only userbase.

To say that there are technical issues on PC because of consoles is also ridiculous i think. A bad conclusion to make considering there is no basis for that claim.

The graphics were downscaled in comparison to the trailers, i don't think anyone can make a claim to anything besides that.

I fully understand being disappointed by being hyped for a product in trailers and not getting that thing you were sold by the trailers.

But the reality of development i think is such that i think your anger should be more towards CDPROJECT RED saying they did not have to sacrifice anything during development, lying about that then doing what they had to do.

If CDPROJECTRED had been fully upfront about downgrades instead of doing this bizarre dance of "we didn't downgrade anything", "we're not going to show ultra until the game is out" thing, there would be no real leg for the complaints i think.

I posted these earlier in the thread. These 2 really show how much atmosphere was lost with the downgrades.

W2475ee.gif

ilo8ZEuf1yn7w.gif

[edit]

Completely subjective but I think the new artstyle really hurt the swamps. The old colors looked a lot better here.

I really don't get these comparisons.

Is that the exact swamp and Time of Day? Definitely not. We haven't played the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dishonesty aside, this seems like a pretty open and shut case of having to downgrade for the sake of console performance. The game was first shown when specs weren't known, but as the realities of the consoles' abilities meant they either needed to make separate versions of the game or downgrade it all. This is what happens when you take a great PC series and then promise day and date console versions. It's a shame.

Though I won't lie, I'm hoping the downgrade means it'll run better on my PC.

Thing is, the console versions look better than I expected them to even when I was thought that these trailers were 1:1 with the PC Ultra settings. I'm not sure that blaming the consoles for the changes is a logical conclusion when they're holding up better than many thought.

Thing is, the console versions look better than I expected them to even when I was thought that these trailers were 1:1 with the PC Ultra settings. I'm not sure that blaming the consoles for the changes is a logical conclusion when they're holding up better than many thought.

What is another logical conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom