• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Gets New Game+ Mode as Final Free DLC

GenericUser

Bethesda removes level cap of skyrim with a patch - nobody gives a fuck

CDPR adding new game + mode with "free dlc" - based cdpr, this teach other devs a lesson, so grateful! much appreciated.

I don't say this isn't great, but I think it's a bit shady to use something that other devs deliver in form of a patch to fullful their promise of "x amounts of free dlc after launch".

a game mode is not exactly what I associate with "dlc".

Ralemont

not me
Hmmm... well, what did DA:Inquisition have in the way of post release free content besides the Black Emporium stuff? And even that came out 5 or 6 months post release.

Meanwhile, BioWare is still charging for piecemeal armor/weapon DLC like the Spoils of the Qunari that came out recently. Whereas stuff like the Wolf School armor for TW3 was (rightfully) free.

Even just beyond the DLC itself, the general timeliness of CDPR's DLC/patches is leagues better than what BioWare did with Inquisition. I mean, CDPR has done everything they've done like fixing the walking and inventory all within ~2 months post release. While it took BioWare about 4 to 5 months to put in basic PC controls like mouse look.

CDPR's post launch support has been awesome. I was just pointing out that DA:I has also had free content released, including the Black Emporium and multiplayer DLC.

Bethesda removes level cap of skyrim with a patch - nobody gives a fuck

CDPR adding new game + mode with "free dlc" - based cdpr, this teach other devs a lesson, so grateful! much appreciated.

I don't say this isn't great, but I think it's a bit shady to use something that other devs deliver in form of a patch to fullful their promise of "x amounts of free dlc after launch".

a game mode is not exactly what I associate with "dlc".
Alright, you know what, since it's not obvious to some of you (in general) I'll spell out what the free DLC program is: it's a loyalty program designed to encourage ownership of the game. The "free DLC" might as well be free patches, but the gesture from CDPR is: own this game and get even more stuff! It is essentially their spin on traditional DRM, hence the staggered rollout.

Now, considering that this content only exists due to CDPR's gesture to begin with, there's no genuine reason to be so dour about its existence. It isn't cut content, it isn't something that should be included for free - its sole reason for existing is to promote ownership of the game. Pretending like it's some dastardly scheme by CDPR to garner goodwill is ridiculous, when the truth is it's their attempt to discourage pirates - the goodwill is just coincidental.

The only "DLC" the Witcher 3 truly has is its expansion packs, which are not yet released. They promise great things, like 30 hours of content, and considering some other games' take on "season pass DLC" (I'm looking at you, Arkham Knight) these releases are the ones we should be critical of; if they live up to the hype, then we need to look at every other developer and ask why their DLCs don't meet this high standard.

The bottom line is, CD Project Red is trying to ford new territory in pro-customer development, by scorning traditional anti-consumer methods of development, like pre-order DLC, paid cosmetic/microtransaction DLC, ripoff Season Passess, and even incorporating player feedback to make their games better post-release. This sort of attitude should be lauded and held up for what it is: the right path for game development to take, instead of cynically analysed and cut down at every turn until CDPR finally decides to join everyone else in a race to the bottom.

Don't ask why they are doing this, ask why others aren't doing it. Have higher standards. After all, you're worth it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
1-People arent praising it as the most marvelous thing in the world. They are loving that its yet another new free update to extend the life of the game.

2-Saying it should have been included at the start means nothing to anyone outside of cdpr. That could mean development delayed yet another 5 months, or it could mean they wouldnt have even done it without fan feedback.

3-People complaining are delusional, ignorant fools. I'd like a list now of all the 80 hour western RPGs containing New Game+

*Shrugs*

It just feels weird to see New Game+ being treated as this OMGAWESOMEFREETHING incredible thing, hah. Maybe it should have been included as a patch or something?

Heh, I feel like this brobably because I tend to favor JRPGs and they tend to always have it and also Bloodborne was just like, including it with no fanfare---it's just there with no fuss whatsoever.

Cool that W3 is going to have it regardless.

Don't ask why they are doing this, ask why others aren't doing it. Have higher standards. After all, you're worth it.

Maybe it's precisely that we have been conditioned so well to accept such low standards across the industry that stuff like this are now considered as something really amazing, heh.

vocab

Doesn't matter, they didn't need a patch to get new game+.

They are adding it in because people suggested it + it's something they want to experiment with for Cyberpunk. It's optional and changes nothing on what the game already accomplished.

Warablo

I guess people wanted the game to get delayed. Tell me why they didn't just release NG+ now if it's so easy as flipping a switch?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mass Effect 1 didn't have NG+

What are you even talking about?

It does. Why do you think there's a trophy/achievement to get to level 60? It's impossible to reach that high (and indeed 50-60 is locked out before NG+) in one playthrough even if you do everything.

It will let you carry on Shepard's levels, talent skills, items, money, amongst other things.

diamount

Banned
I'll revisit the game once the 2 expansions have been released, not enough content that I haven't explored to justify another 100+ hour playthrough.

erawsd

*Shrugs*

It just feels weird to see New Game+ being treated as this OMGAWESOMEFREETHING incredible thing, hah. Maybe it should have been included as a patch or something?

Heh, I feel like this brobably because I tend to favor JRPGs and they tend to always have it and also Bloodborne was just like, including it with no fanfare---it's just there with no fuss whatsoever.

Cool that W3 is going to have it regardless.

Maybe it's precisely that we have been conditioned so well to accept such low standards across the industry that stuff like this are now considered as something really amazing, heh.

A bunch of people have been requesting that CDPR add NG+, CDPR confirms that NG+ is coming, people are very happy... Whats weird about that? Should they not be excited that something they want is being added to the game?

The1Ski

I think about this "DLC" model like if I bought a car and the manufacturer sent me an alternate set of floor mats a couple weeks later.

I didn't buy the car because I'd get a free gift (DLC) later. The car got good reviews so I test drove and then bought it. If I'm going to get some free stuff to go with it, sounds good to me. Sure, they could have handed me the floor mats when I picked up the car. But they didn't have to do that in the first place, so it's all good.

Does this make the company gods? No, of course not. But if other companies send you a catalog of stuff you can buy for your new car, the company giving me free things for supporting their product sounds better to me. Is it marketing? Of course it is. But they're a business and businesses market their products.

What CDPR is doing with this entire free DLC program is a PR stunt (which was obvious to a lot of people the instant they announced it back in January/February). They know that a lot of gamers are unhappy with being nickel-and-dimed with DLC from other companies, and are seizing the opportunity to try score easy "goodwill" points with consumers and the press. Many companies in lots of industries do that. I quite like CDPR's free DLC; I'm just calling it for what it really is. There are a few other devs that are also very consumer friendly...and at the same time a bit more honest, down-to-earth and humble than CDPR.

However, I find it bizarre that some people are getting really worked up and perturbed over CDPR's free DLC program, including this NG+. C'mon, it's free DLC as a nice gesture. How is that bad?

Also, I haven't read one single convincing argument here that indicates that the free DLC was completed before the May launch and cut out of the game. Having a door that can't be opened until the DLC is released does NOT mean that the DLC was already finished. Yes, the DLC framework was likely planned and storyboarded out, with perhaps some internal mockups, a long time before TW3's launch. (Except for NG+; they're adding that due to requests from fans.) That's normal and kinda necessary. But all of that is pre-production stuff. It is easily plausible that actual DLC production (as in coding, testing, etc.) didn't kick into high gear until after TW3's launch.

O.DOGG

So I've been busy going back and collecting all the witcher armors for my NG+ playthrough, to have them just in case. Though knowing myself, I'll probably end up playing the entire game wearing the cat armor again.

What are you even talking about?

It does. Why do you think there's a trophy/achievement to get to level 60? It's impossible to reach that high (and indeed 50-60 is locked out before NG+) in one playthrough even if you do everything.

It will let you carry on Shepard's levels, talent skills, items, money, amongst other things.

It it has it it was patched in way later on the re-release, because I played the original release and there was no NG+.

cripterion

You made a statement implying you knew how long it took to make this content and how much resources it took. You made a very specific statement. Don't use the "everyone says racist things" cop-out when called out on it.

So.... you're pissed off they are calling it DLC instead of something else?

The terminology is what is fucking you up here?

What?

Could have taken a year of their time to do it for all I care, I'm still not impressed with what I got, how hard is that to understand? Free of charge doesn't equal free of criticism.
You think people won't bitch about Windows 10 just cause they got it for free?

And no CDPR can call it how they want, I said it's the people being amazed by this staggered line of DLC that seems weird to me, acting like all companies should take lessons from them.

leng jai

I think there are people who think NG+ should be a standard feature by now in progression based single player games, so having it patch in months after and classed as "DLC" possibly rubs them the wrong way. There's also the group of annoyed people who would have loved it but gave up on waiting and already finished their second play through a while ago.

Of course there's also people complaining for the sake of it, and also people who find the praise CDPR are getting disproportionate for essentially what is a day one feature for a lot of games.

It it has it it was patched in way later on the re-release, because I played the original release and there was no NG+.

Mass Effect 1? I bought it in what, 2007 on Xbox 360, and it sure did have NG+. You pick the existing ID in the menu when starting a game, it didn't scream out new game plus.

tuxfool

Banned
And no CDPR can call it how they want, I said it's the people being amazed by this staggered line of DLC that seems weird to me, acting like all companies should take lessons from them.

They absolutely can take lessons from it. It is a lesson on creating goodwill and only the most dour and cynical will find a reason to whine about it.

Daingurse

Could have taken a year of their time to do it for all I care, I'm still not impressed with what I got, how hard is that to understand? Free of charge doesn't equal free of criticism.

Most companies would have nickel and dimed us for every single bit of the post release DLC The Witcher 3 has had. So yeah, other companies should take a few lessons from CDPR on how to handle dlc and post-release content. Considering the bullshit I constantly see being sold as DLC, I definitely give them props for releasing the content for free.

zkorejo

Because its a good gesture to their customers. They are thanking the people who bought the game with little things like that. You are not supposed to be impressed with the content but atleast should be thankful about it or atleast just be indifferent because it sure as hell is not anything to complain or argue about.

A great dev like ND sells gas masks etc. $0.99 each in TLOU MP even on PS4 remastered version. Same goes for other numerous companies. CDPR comes out and says that small DLC is not worth paying for and Companies should instead give back to their loyal fanbase.

It does two things:

1. Maintaining interest for the game for the players by adding small things and supporting with patches. Which shows as It has been more than 2 months and the game is still relevant.

2. Earn Goodwill for their company.

You are not supposed to like the content but the gesture. I am not using half of what they released as free DLC in my game. But I sure appreciate what they are trying to do.

All you guys complaining about the free DLC program.

10 years ago, Epic rolled out a free DLC program for Unreal Tournament 2004. It contained the following:

• Multiplayer skins
  • An entirely new Multiplayer mode
  • Multiple map packs
  • Weapons and vehicles

When it was all said and done, they re-released the game with all that free DLC and called it the Editor's Choice Pack.

What Witcher 3:

• New character skins
  • New weapons and armour packs
  • New quests
  • An entirely new mode.

All CDP did here was do DLC the way it used to be done back before developers figured they could charge people $15/pop for three shitty multiplayer maps.

cripterion

Because its a good gesture to their customers. They are thanking the people who bought the game with little things like that. You are not supposed to be impressed with the content but atleast should be thankful about it or atleast just be indifferent because it sure as hell is not anything to complain or argue about.

A great dev like ND sells gas masks etc. $0.99 each in TLOU MP even on PS4 remastered version. Same goes for other numerous companies. CDPR comes out and says that small DLC is not worth paying for and Companies should instead give back to their loyal fanbase.

It does two things:

1. Maintaining interest for the game for the players by adding small things and supporting with patches. Which shows as It has been more than 2 months and the game is still relevant.

2. Earn Goodwill for their company.

You are not supposed to like the content but the gesture. I am not using half of what they released as free DLC in my game. But I sure appreciate what they are trying to do.

That's a way to see things, this + announcing 2 expansions before releases makes it so people don't resell your game which itself isn't bad at all but I don't see why I should be praising them to high heavens for it and not be allowed to criticize said free content if it's not to my liking.

I'll agree that maybe my perception of things would have been better if I didn't finish the game so early and didn't end up popping every week or so to see and try what was new and have a "meh" feeling about it.

Most games that have New Game+? New Game+ wasn't DLC in the souls games...

It's almost like they were made by different companies with different budgets and resources.

I'm still not impressed with what I got, how hard is that to understand?

No, I totally got that you think anyone that disagrees with you or does something you dislike is either greedy or an idiot.

I don't see why I should be praising them to high heavens for it and not be allowed to criticize said free content if it's not to my liking.

When making grand criticisms based on how easy it was to beat the content for you personally with implications that the creation time is linked to your personal enjoyment, then yes, people require you to clarify your posts.

You don't have any idea how long it takes them to make any of the content.

omonimo

Banned
Wait a minute, say new game+ in a free dlc it's not something of particular incredible it's like to not appreciate free dlc? 10 pages about this ? O_O ok.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You've still yet to prove they lied.

"Hey Karl, we're shipping, how far along are we on that quest your team was working on?"

"Well, we have an outline of what we want to do in the quest, but there are a few models we haven't finished, the script is on its first draft, then we'll obviously have to do some testing. Who knows if we'll find a bug that'll need to be ironed out. It's about a week out."

"Looks like we won't make the deadline then."

"Well, should I delete the house and this door?"

"Why the fuck would we do that and risk introducing more bugs and using up time?"

"Some guy on the internet might get angry that we cut something unfinished."

Funniest post!

Jonm1010

Banned
.....As someone that was fighting off people left and right defending CDPR over the downgrade controversy.

......As someone that was very pissed and constantly having to defend myself for the right to be upset I was sold a game that crashed to desktop for a not insignificant number of people on PC at launch very frequently.

.....Someone that felt paralyzed during CDPR letting slip an XP bug and doing a piss poor job communicating with fans about progress of said bug.

.....Who was admittedly a bit annoyed that it seemed CDPR was engaging in patch parity.

What the fuck is the problem here?????? This is a game that was sold to consumers as an open world, one time play through RPG with branching choices. Where even the future paid DLC was made public in advance. You are now being given a New Game+.....For FREE! On top of multiple, admittedly, minor free DLC updates. What the fuck is the issue here???

Maximo

So the Witcher 3

- Doesn't have Pre-order bonuses,
- Doesn't game retailer exclusive content.
- Doesn't have paid day one DLC.

Offers 16 free *DLC* varying from small missions to outfits.

- Temerian Armor Set
- Beard And Hairstyle Set
- Contract: Missing Miners
- Alternative Look For Yennefer
- The Nilfgaardian Armor Set
- Elite Crossbow Set
- Fool’s Gold Quest
- Ballad Heroes – Gwent Card Set
- Wolf School Gear
- Alternative Look For Triss
- Skellige Armor Set
- Contract: Skellige’s Most Wanted
- Quest: Where The Cat And Wolf Play
- Alternative Look For Ciri
- New Finishing Animations
- NG+

And the final piece is NG+ a feature that wasn't in the game (And they were under no obligation to have it in the first place) a feature that was requested "by Fans" and yet some people for some reason complain about it ? While not successful in some of the patches(Causing some frame-rate issues) but ALSO fixing various bugs but also improving the quality of the game such as Geralts movement, underwater controls, making the inventory easier to manage. Why are people complaining again?

Please somebody shake my body and wake me up because im trapped in some sort of Twilight Zone Episode.

You guys are hilarious. It didn't exist in the game and people wanted it. Now it exists and people want more (or don't want it)? There's an entire expansion planned!

This is FREE. Folks are mad about FREE stuff. Don't consider it a DLC. Consider it an update. FREE update.

Denton

What does CDP do ?

- releases a best game in years
- releases it DRM Free
- gives loads of bonuses and preorder discount (I bought it on gog for 40 bucks)
- heavily supports the game after release with new content and new features people ask for, all for free

What do morons do ?

- they bitch, cause thats what they do

GVA1987

I really don't understand the outrage here. I see some people getting upset that they should have added it via a 'patch' and it isn't new content. They literally just released a patch adding content in the form of a stash. The stash means more to me than alternate outfits for characters as it is useful.

Regardless if this is a PR stunt or simply DRM in the form of encouraging longer ownership of the game surely we should all be appreciative of a dev providing post game support in a manner that doesn't cost the consumer any more money.

It's like some of you guys have stocks in tin mines.

zkorejo

That's a way to see things, this + announcing 2 expansions before releases makes it so people don't resell your game which itself isn't bad at all but I don't see why I should be praising them to high heavens for it and not be allowed to criticize said free content if it's not to my liking.

I'll agree that maybe my perception of things would have been better if I didn't finish the game so early and didn't end up popping every week or so to see and try what was new and have a "meh" feeling about it.

You should not be praising them for it if you dont feel like doing that.

But if others are praising them for it, I dont see how they are wrong about it. What they are doing with free DLC is rare these days and its okay for people to want to praise them for it.

cripterion

It's almost like they were made by different companies with different budgets and resources.

No, I totally got that you think anyone that disagrees with you or does something you dislike is either greedy or an idiot.

When making grand criticisms based on how easy it was to beat the content for you personally with implications that the creation time is linked to your personal enjoyment, then yes, people require you to clarify your posts.

You don't have any idea how long it takes them to make any of the content.

Greedy?Idiot? I think you got that the other way around pal, if you're caught not worshipping the darling devs of the week you get called names and pointed at.
It was the same pre-release, you couldn't say shit even when evidence was in front of everybody's eyes cause you had the CDPR defense force on your ass the minute you made a negative comment towards them.

Feel free to think however you like man, I don't care. You like that way of marketing good for you. I won't be calling you an idiot over it, but I certainly don't have to think the same way you do, got it?

I don't know why you keep repeating the same, "Do you know how long did it take them to do it" line when I made myself clear before.

You should not be praising them for it if you dont feel like doing that.

But if others are praising them for it, I dont see how they are wrong about it. What they are doing with free DLC is rare these days and its okay for people to want to praise them for it.

And I said several posts ago that was fine too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Uhhh how about no? Maybe you should have paid more attention?

A bunch of people have been requesting that CDPR add NG+, CDPR confirms that NG+ is coming, people are very happy... Whats weird about that? Should they not be excited that something they want is being added to the game?

Read better?

It's not that it's weird that people are happy about it, I just find it a bit weird that NG+ is being touted as a part of super-duper-FREE-dlc promotion when in other games, well... games that I played anyways, it's usually just come within the package.

Relax, I am not calling CDPR out or anything like that. I just find it a bit weird, that's all. Good for W3 to (eventually) have it!

Top Bottom