• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Gets New Game+ Mode as Final Free DLC

But is there horse armor DLC?! Hnn? HNNNNNN?

The horse armour (with a matching set of armour) was the first DLC they released, you know.

this-weeks-free-witcher-3-dlc-is-143323581929.jpg

CDPR knows their audience.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can't believe so many of you are so gullible to be buying into this notion that CDPR is releasing all this free DLC out of the kindness of their heart.

Why would anyone want their customers to feel appreciated? That's not how good business works.

Nice try CDPR, we all know that we are pawns in your little game. Next time charge us for the DLC.

I am totally kidding and trying to be funny. Probably unsuccessfully.

erawsd

Read better?

It's not that it's weird that people are happy about it, I just find it a bit weird that NG+ is being touted as a part of super-duper-FREE-dlc promotion when in other games, well... games that I played anyways, it's usually just come within the package.

Relax, I am not calling CDPR out or anything like that. I just find it a bit weird, that's all. Good for W3 to (eventually) have it!

Write better?

Other games having ng+ is irrelevant, good for them. Witcher 3 didn't have it at launch and now it (eventually) will... that is what is being "touted". I don't think anyone is suggesting that its some sort of incredible new game mode. Its small addition to a DLC promotion that is all about adding small bits of content to the game to keep players engaged.

I guess I just find it weird that you find it weird. If tomorrow From announces that they'll add proper PVP arenas (that work) to Bloodborne, I'd think thats pretty cool and I'd commend them for post launch support. The fact that videogames have had PvP arenas since the 16bit days doesnt make any difference.

Shengar

So Souls games now have become "every other game" that set NG+ as standard of the industry?

In all seriousness, there's a big misunderstanding on how NG+ practiced. It's only a standard package with the base game if you play Japanese games. NG+ is a feature that prominently found on japanese part of the industry, not as a whole. WRPGs rarely feature NG+ since their replaybility comes from role-playing different role. To treat as a standard practice of the industry is absurd as not any developer obliged to have their games feature NG+ on the day of release.

And if this is a PR move by CDPR, what's the matter? What's the fucking matter? Can't a company try to make a good image of themselves without lying and giving actual benefits to their consumer? Saying that CDPR ripping off these contents just so they can make good PR material is accusation without proof. Are there any data miner found these files in the base game? If this accusation doesn't have any proof to back it up, then it is just slander.

Hypron

So Souls games now have become "every other game" that set NG+ as standard of the industry?

In all seriousness, there's a big misunderstanding on how NG+ practiced. It's only a standard package with the base game if you play Japanese games. NG+ is a feature that prominently found on japanese part of the industry, not as a whole. WRPGs rarely feature NG+ since their replaybility comes from role-playing different role. To treat as a standard practice of the industry is absurd as not any developer obliged to have their games feature NG+ on the day of release.

And if this is a PR move by CDPR, what's the matter? What's the fucking matter? Can't a company try to make a good image of themselves without lying and giving actual benefits to their consumer? Saying that CDPR ripping off these contents just so they can make good PR material is accusation without proof. Are there any data miner found these files in the base game? If this accusation doesn't have any proof to back it up, then it is just slander.

This. Well said.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Write better?

Other games having ng+ is irrelevant, good for them. Witcher 3 didn't have it at launch and now it (eventually) will... that is what is being "touted". I don't think anyone is suggesting that its some sort of incredible new game mode. Its small addition to a DLC promotion that is all about adding small bits of content to the game to keep players engaged.

I guess I just find it weird that you find it weird. If tomorrow From announces that they'll add proper PVP arenas (that work) to Bloodborne, I'd think thats pretty cool and I'd commend them for post launch support. The fact that videogames have had PvP arenas since the 16bit days doesnt make any difference.

Okay.

Write better?

This is of course a very reasonable sentiment. But with that in mind, I do feel the all caps glee, the reaction gifs and comments like "they continue to shit on other IPs when it comes to substantial DLC" a bit weird.

I mean, if I wandered into a thread about how Valve is adding monocles to Dota 2 and somebody went all "MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE" I could probably safely assume he's just having an exaggerated reaction. With this, I'm not sure; is it that much of a big deal?

tuxfool

Banned
It's not that it's weird that people are happy about it, I just find it a bit weird that NG+ is being touted as a part of super-duper-FREE-dlc promotion when in other games, well... games that I played anyways, it's usually just come within the package.

Relax, I am not calling CDPR out or anything like that. I just find it a bit weird, that's all. Good for W3 to (eventually) have it!

By this token any (most) games without NG+ are incomplete?

SeppOCE

New Game + is welcome, but it's pretty damn underwhelming to see this being the final bit of free DLC. I feel like this is something that should have been added via a patch and not as part of the free DLC promotion. But hey, I'm just happy we're at least getting it. :D

This is what I've been saying at every site I visit and the general consensus is "burn in hell" or "downvote him!". It is true though it's a cop out that this is the final DLC but 15 other pieces of DLC make up for it. It should be a patch though, not optional.

geordiemp

What does CDP do ?

- releases a best game in years
- releases it DRM Free
- gives loads of bonuses and preorder discount (I bought it on gog for 40 bucks)
- heavily supports the game after release with new content and new features people ask for, all for free

What do morons do ?

- they bitch, cause thats what they do

Not bought the game yet (ps4) - waiting for them to fix the 20 FPS and stuttering, I know I cannot play a game like that anymore it just does my head in.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
By this token any (most) games without NG+ are incomplete?

As far as I am concerned, yes. Of course, we're talking about RPGs.

I mostly play JRPGs though, and they often offer NG+ of some kind, like Bloodborne for instance. This most probably colors my "it's not really a big deal" view regarding this particular case.

erawsd

This is of course a very reasonable sentiment. But with that in mind, I do feel the all caps glee, the reaction gifs and comments like "they continue to shit on other IPs when it comes to substantial DLC" a bit weird.

I mean, if I wandered into a thread about how Valve is adding monocles to Dota 2 and somebody went all "MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE" I could probably safely assume he's just having an exaggerated reaction. With this, I'm not sure; is it that much of a big deal?

I cant really speak for others, but based on what Ive seen in the OT, on reddit, and their official forums there appears to have been a lot of demand for the feature. So Im not surprised by the excitement, the caps, and the gifs. I do agree that that particular comment is totally unfair to others like Diablo 3 which has had amazing post launch support.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I usually loathe the kind of post I'm about to make, but this really is the most NeoGaf thread I've ever seen on NeoGaf.

Not sure I'll get to use it, but free is good.

I have played who knows how many hours (because of the suspend/time bug) and have had a good time, but I'm kinda taking a break from the game with Arkham Knight. I'll get back to it when I finish the AK story in a few days.

benjammin

Did you have played it on ps4? Bugs are increased not diminished. PC version is fine but console getting more bugs at every new patch. I said this thing because I loved this game and play it constantly. But the last patch seems has increased the numbers of graphic glitch. Shadows now are broken, wet shader in the ground seems gone sometimes in Velen during the rain (I hope it's not the famous optimization because... ). I can continue for hours.

I'm playing on ps4 and still having a great time. They fixed huge gameplay issues with the movement and inventory management tweaks. I'll take those over a couple of minor graphical issues that will undoubtedly be resolved in a future patch. You're talking like the game is broken or unplayable and that is simply not the case.

I'm trying to understand the universe in which there's a meaningful difference between a patch that adds NG+ (which is free, as all patches are), and DLC that adds NG+ (which is free, because that's how CDPR are doing non-expansion content).

Either way, you're getting something that wasn't "missing" from the base game (read, not an expected piece of content that was absent on May 19), and adds to reasons to replay the game.

What the fuck is anyone complaining about?

Yes, the Souls series has NG+ by default. It's also a completely different kind of game (not story or character driven, for one, and much, much shorter), and the NG+ mechanic is a core part of the game's staying power and replayability. Comparing the two is pointless.

Itachi87

Even if NG+ was released as a patch instead of DLC, people here will still bitch and complain...
^word. Moreover, the addition of NG+ to the game is better than all the previous DLCs they've released combined imo since it's compelling me to jump back into a game I've spent nearly 200 hrs in already.

Kosma

Banned
If CDPR witheld and released a content poor game (splatoon) and then kept releasing stuff that was done already that would be bad.

But CDPR released one of the biggest games ever and then added shit on top. Thats great and the haters should rethink their lives.

I haven't bought this game yet cause I'm waiting for the performance on the PS4 to be ironed out. Reading through the thread though I get both sides of the argument tbh

Yes it's nice that they're giving us free DLC. Most other AAA games sell us cosmetic stuff in addition to gameplay modes and whatnot. But I also can't help but think if they're gonna be giving us cosmetic stuff like armor as free DLC, then why not just include them with the base game? It does kind of come across as PR.

NG+ is understandable though as it's something that might not have been ready when the game launched or it can just be a device to keep people playing which is understandable.

Staf

Haven't ben to this thread since the early pages. People still upset about getting free DLC with gameplay upgrades?

boskee

But I also can't help but think if they're gonna be giving us cosmetic stuff like armor as free DLC, then why not just include them with the base game?

Gee, let's see. Perhaps because they couldn't afford pushing the game again and again just so people wouldn't complain about that completely optional content not being included in the already enormous vanilla version of their product?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Gee, let's see. Perhaps because they couldn't afford pushing the game again and again just so people wouldn't complain about that completely optional content not being included in the already enormous vanilla version of their product?

Apparently "pleasing people on the internet" was not their priority!

Jamaro85

NG+ would definitely get me to do another play through. I spent way too much time beating it on Death March, clearing all non Skellige water points of interest, and obsessively looting everything. I started a second play through on story mode where I am looting and killing as little as possible, just for the sake of seeing different event outcomes. However, going through the game with mediocre gear and a very limited selection of bombs, oils, potions, etc., will definitely take away some of the fun and make it more of a grind, even on easy.

Being able to play a second play through with everything carrying over from a previous one while being able to lower the difficulty to story mode would certainly be welcome.

I would gladly exchange all of the armor dlc and NG+ for a bug-free/stable framerate ps4 version. Seems to me like CDPR prefer quantity over quality, this game wasn't released in a good state and serious issues remain... but hey we got alternative ciri armor and minor side missions as free dlc so fuck anyone who dares question CDPR.

you people are the bitchiest bitches to ever bitch
PMSing over FUCKING FREE content
Windows 10 is fucked right now but im not cursing Microsoft to the pits of hell am i?
no i simply restored 8.1
sometimes i think Neogaf posters should make a soap opera
wed make millions

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I would gladly exchange all of the armor dlc and NG+ for a bug-free/stable framerate ps4 version. Seems to me like CDPR prefer quantity over quality, this game wasn't released in a good state and serious issues remain... but hey we got alternative ciri armor and minor side missions as free dlc so fuck anyone who dares question CDPR.

There is no such thing as a "bug free" open world game. Baldur's Gate II remains buggy. Every Elder Scrolls ever had/has bugs. Dark Souls is/was/will always have bugs, and it's much smaller in scope and size. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are buggy still. Divinity: OS stopped being patched in Jan, but fans still love it, bugs and all. The Witcher 3 launched in a fine state, comparatively speaking and they continue to patch it. It's not "fuck anyone who dares question CDPR" but more like "Maybe get a little perspective on how massive these types of games are." They're never going to be bug free.

Bedlam

lol @ all this bitching and complaining. Some of you guys are the worst.

All the "should've been in the game from the start!" or "they cut this!" arguments are absolutely ridiculous.

1. NG+ is not an industry standard, much less so in the west.
2. CDP have never done this in their previous games.
3. The game's scope is gigantic already. This is especially astonishing given the size of the development team and the production costs compared to other big Western RPG developers.

There is so much other stuff with higher priority than NG+ that wasn't delivered with the vanilla game, it's hard to imagine that a feature like NG+ was deliberately cut just to tout it as DLC. IF it was in discussion, and that's a big "if", it was most likely not executed because there was, and still is, so much more pressing stuff that needed to be done to at least ship a working game of this size.

That said, while I enjoy the game, I also have my issues with some aspects of it (a LOT of open world jank, messy scripts, bugged quests that I cannot complete etc.). But the DLC support for this game is absolutely exceptional. Not only did they deliver numerous cosmetic options and new armor packs (already noteworthy in Destiny-times), they even gave us completely new quests/content for free.

Furthermore, it's not like CD Project neglected the much needed patching for this game in order to produce DLC. Quite to the contrary. The work of the artists', moreover, has little to do with with producing the patches.

Thanks to CD Project for showing the industry how DLC and patch support should be handled.

There is no such thing as a "bug free" open world game. Baldur's Gate II remains buggy. Every Elder Scrolls ever had/has bugs. Dark Souls is/was/will always have bugs, and it's much smaller in scope and size. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are buggy still. Divinity: OS stopped being patched in Jan, but fans still love it, bugs and all. The Witcher 3 launched in a fine state, comparatively speaking and they continue to patch it. It's not "fuck anyone who dares question CDPR" but more like "Maybe get a little perspective on how massive these types of games are." They're never going to be bug free.

What I have seen is that no matter how well, articulately or how many times you explain the same thing over and over again, some people will always refuse to understand, be that due to their lack of brain cells or just pure ignorance I never know.

They will always bitch and moan and there is no reasoning that will make them change their minds.

That said, while I enjoy the game, I also have my issues with some aspects of it (a LOT of open world jank, messy scripts, bugged quests that I cannot complete etc.). But the DLC support for this game is absolutely exceptional. Not only did they deliver numerous cosmetic options and new armor packs (already noteworthy in Destiny-times), they even gave us completely new quests/content for free.

Thanks to CD Project for showing the industry how it should be done.

CDPR games often have a lot of problems, but that is mainly because of their sheer complexity. What people should at least try to understand is that they always deliver excellent post sale support and not expect such a massive game like TW3 to be bug free at launch. Nothing ever is, nothing ever will be. What counts is how they deal with it.

tbd

I just wonder how NG+ works in combination with the expansions. What level will the enemies in the expansions be? Wouldn't I be extremely overpowered at the end of my NG+ run? Will there be a short level scaling when you enter the new DLC area?

Hypron

I just wonder how NG+ works in combination with the expansions. What level will the enemies in the expansions be? Wouldn't I be extremely overpowered at the end of my NG+ run? Will there be a short level scaling when you enter the new DLC area?

If NG+ works like in Dark Souls and the likes, all the enemies will be stronger in NG+ (by a fixed amount that doesn't depend on your level). So I'm thinking if you're already in NG+ by the time you tackle the expansions they'll just be on NG+ difficulty straight away.

squidyj

to be perfectly honest I find it literally impossible to take anyone seriously who complains about this not being in the game from the start. bunch of clowns complaining about something they're getting for free in a game with a metric shit ton of content already, fuck off with that shit.

Top Bottom