• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC recommended specs run game at 30fps - reddit

Wait for the benches.

You're right, and I've actually been defending the game all day, but that statement about identical textures and models on PC as on consoles and then looking at that recommend spec really rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully their statement here was inaccurate.

Durante

How about we wait until it comes out and see before we make judgements. This happens *all the time*, some bit of information comes out, an off comment here and there, and the entire internet freaks out - often for no good reason.
Of course people will freak out again. This is what happens every. single. time.

And of course when the game is actually out and sites do actual measurements, it will turn out that an i7 and a 290 run the game either at much higher than console level at 30 FPS, or at more than 30 FPS at console level settings.

I guarantee it.

Recommended specs always lie, anyway. Was there ever a game where the recommended specs meant you could comfortably max out the settings?
How are recommended specs a "lie" because you can't "max out" the settings? That never was the idea of recommended specs in the first place.

Besides that, there's the whole issue of "maxing out" as a metric being incredibly stupid and problematic.

Bl@de

Sounds about right. High/Ultra on AC:Unity did get me 30-40fps and I have a Xeon v3 1230/GTX770. Game should be similar.

I think people did not see the two unspoken words in that statement: "recommended specs will run this game with at least 30 fps". Got a better rig? Better fps! Nowhere was it said that it has 30fps cap.

Angel_DvA

here's my rig:

Intel CPU Core i7 4790k 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 980
RAM 16GB
64-bit Windows 8.1

Can i run it at 60 FPS max out ? or I'm dreaming ?

Seanspeed

Banned
Console optimisation for the win. :)

Keep justifying that purchase to yourself, bro.

Anyways, people obviously never learn. I've only been PC gaming properly for about a year and a half and I've wisened up when it comes to these never correct requirements.

A lot of people just cant stop themselves from overreacting even when they should know better. Its weird.

here's my rig:

Intel CPU Core i7 4790k 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 980
RAM 16GB
64-bit Windows 8.1

Can i run it at 60 FPS max out ? or I'm dreaming ?
There is no way for us to know that.

Well at least they are honest.
I had exactly the recommended specs for the second game (quad core AMD, 1GB HD4850, 4GB RAM) and I wasn't able to hold 30 fps at 1440x900 with everything on lowest.
It's kinda sad that this game probably won't even start on my notebook (i7 4702MQ and gt740m) :(

Tacitus_

You're right, and I've actually been defending the game all day, but that statement about identical textures and models on PC as on consoles and then looking at that recommend spec really rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully their statement here was inaccurate.

You do know that there's a bunch of other stuff that contributes to the final look other than resolution, models and textures? It's not 2004 anymore where turning off bump mapping made everything look like shit.

Can't wait for the face off.

For now... every multiplats game shows you are wrong. Even AC Unity runs better on a GTX750ti and an entry level i3 CPU.

And this one will be the same case too. We will see that same level hardware as PS4 can run the game at same settings (in fact I'm sure you will be able to have AF on PC... which PS4 is kinda lacking on some games) while any better specced PC or even the recommended one will run much better.

valkyre

Keep justifying that purchase to yourself, bro.

Anyways, people obviously never learn. I've only been PC gaming properly for about a year and a half and I've wisened up when it comes to these never correct requirements.

A lot of people just cant stop themselves from overreacting even when they should know better. Its weird.

I agree, but with the addition that pretty much every one (no matter the platform) is acting like he is trying to justify his purchase. Console users do it when there are issues with a PC version (due to bad optimization) and PC users also do it when they are trying to rub in othjer peoples faces that they cant play in full maxed 60 fps settings.

Its immature as fuck.

People should enjoy their platform of choice and agree to its shortcomings without having to act like an ass to the others.

Jon X. Porter

Neo Member
If 30fps bothers you that much then just turn off some eye-candy?

I don't get why this is an issue. If the devs were targeting 60 they'd be turning off eye-candy on our behalves, so at least this way both 30fps+more detail and 60fps+smoother gameplay camps can be happy.

Arulan

You would think after more than a year after these consoles launched, and the countless benchmark results demonstrating so, that people would stop believing you need more than console-equivalent hardware to match consoles in settings/performance.

You would think after more than a year after these consoles launched, and the countless benchmark results demonstrating so, that people would stop believing you need more than console-equivalent hardware to match consoles in settings/performance.

It takes a long time to undo deep seated beliefs. Literally every comparison has proven it wrong but we still get people freaking out over publisher provided specs and believing the console version is going to punch above its weight.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's a mirror copy of rig that CDP used to demostrate game but theirs had 8GB of ram- it can barely run demonstrated version on high with fps drops below 30.
Where has it been stated that it was barely running 30fps with drops?

Either way, the game is still more than three months away.

I agree, but with the addition that pretty much every one (no matter the platform) is acting like he is trying to justify his purchase. Console users do it when there are issues with a PC version (due to bad optimization) and PC users also do it when they are trying to rub in othjer peoples faces that they cant play in full maxed 60 fps settings.

Its immature as fuck.

People should enjoy their platform of choice and agree to its shortcomings without having to act like an ass to the others.
He's been talking about this 'console optimization' in other threads as well, talking about how he decided to get a PS4 instead of a GPU upgrade because console optimization gets him super smooth performance guaranteed(yes, he actually said that). Not to mention that pretty much every multiplat so far can be run at console equivalent settings/performance with equivalent PC hardware. All things that have been pointed out to be him before, yet he still comes into a PC thread to persist with the same shit.

Its not just obnoxious and unnecessary, its just kinda sad to see somebody so clearly trying to justify something to themselves. I mean, if we're honest, we all justify stuff to ourselves in life, but I at least make an effort to not delude myself in the process.

Durante

Can't wait for the face off.
Me too. It will show the exact same thing every single multiplatform face-off has shown.

You know what Albert Einstein had to say about insanity?

Where has it been stated that it was barely running 30fps with drops?
The only statements I've seen were that (a) it was running more smoothly than the console versions and (b) it had higher texture resolution than the PS4 version.

Kezen

Banned
PC has already been confirmed to have more effects and recommended specs always aim for 30-40fps.

I'm positive a 290 will run the game much better than any console (more effects, more FPS).

It seems some people never learn.

I think some people feel like they're not getting the "full" or "intended" experience if they can't "max out" their games on PC. It's probably a subconscious thing, like you're not getting the most out of your game if you can't get the highest settings at 60 fps. With consoles, the settings are already locked in and there's not much to fiddle with, so it's not something people think about at all (aside from choosing a version between consoles if you own multiple).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Me too. It will show the exact same thing every single multiplatform face-off has shown.

You know what Albert Einstein had to say about insanity?.

I'm sure it will be

PC > PS4 > Xbox One.

But I'll be interested to see how well the PS4 holds up to the PC and if it has a stable frame rate.

valkyre

Again, please point us to where it was said that it was only barely running 30fps and had drops below.

I went ahead and read a lot of previews and I havent seen anyone claim that the framerate is bad on PC. In fact I saw someone mention framerate dips (quite frequent) in PS4 version of the game. Which kind of sucks balls if true because it is the only system I got that can run "decently" the game atm.

Kezen

Banned
I went ahead and read a lot of previews and I havent seen anyone claim that the framerate is bad on PC. In fact I saw someone mention framerate dips (quite frequent) in PS4 version of the game. Which kind of sucks balls if true because it is the only system I got that can run "decently" the game atm.

There is still time to optimize, I would not worry about that.

Nzyme32

PC, PS4 and Xbox One use the same build, textures and models. Game will look almost identical on all platforms, although Xbox's version will be showed in 900p, scaled up to 1080p.

Curious that no other articles got this info. There are several articles that say the opposite in terms of textures, although this could be the work of FXAA. Meanwhile the actual models may be the same, but again several articles show the details of those characters are very clearly different between the platforms, including deeper wounds and armour detail. I assume there must be various effects that are missing on other platforms for that to occur.

All this makes me all the more curious to see the finished build

Portugeezer

Curious that no other articles got this info. There are several articles that say the opposite in terms of textures, although this could be the work of FXAA. Meanwhile the actual models may be the same, but again several articles show the details of those characters are very clearly different between the platforms, including deeper wounds and armour detail. I assume there must be various effects that are missing on other platforms for that to occur.

All this makes me all the more curious to see the finished build

I hope it's just PR talk to keep Microsoft and their partnership happy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
FX-8350 as recommended huh? I guess my FX6300 should work just fine. Especially after I OC it.

I remember Witcher 2 absolutely owning the shit out of my old dualcore though, maybe we'll get the same thing here :)

Gbraga

I was expecting High settings at 30fps with Recommended specs, so yeah, not surprsied.

I hope they have an in-game lock with proper framepacing.

Dmax3901

Really appreciate how honest CD Projekt Red are. That stuff about how the lighting will make some areas look better than others etc is refreshingly frank.

One thing that stood out in this latest gameplay video is how good the facial animations look. Huge improvement from earlier showings. I can't wait.

Mista

Banned
PC and 30fps? Isnt this supposed to be the best platform?

Anyways, the game will be optimized to 60fps on PC for sure

Kezen

Banned
This is a spit in the face to all of us in the Elite Gaming PC Race (EGPCR). 30fps is simply unplayable trash.

?

Nothing prevents you from playing at 60fps if your system has enough grunt.

I don't get the drama here, recommended specs always aim for 30fps or close. A 290 can most likely play at high/ultra 30fps and close to 60 using console settings.

Sometimes I feel I'm missing something.

Faith

I still believe that my GTX970 SLI Setup @1350Mhz (with a 4770K @4Ghz) will be able to achieve stable 60fps maxed out. At least after Nvidia updates the driver.

Top Bottom