• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 rumors: 900p PS4/720p Xbone, 30fps, equals minimal settings of PC

Yeeeesh!

I hope they fix that if true.

The new consoles may not be PC powerful but they have enough untapped potential to be harnessed to get a 1080P/30FPS game on PS4 at least.

x3sphere

That's why you don't run a company. A game that's minimum requirements is a 7850~ is unoptimized.

So minimum requirements should never go beyond a 7850? This is a game that's coming out in 2015. You must hate progress.

At any rate, if the requirements are indeed that steep, it'd probably still be playable on a 7850 if you lowered the res.

Some Nobody

Yes. The bolded is even worse. I hope you're kidding.

Why would he be kidding? A lot of Steam users (and computer users in general) are people with run of the mill laptops. Even the gamers among that group most likely just bought a gaming laptop that has only a half-decent graphics card. Honestly 25% sounds too high.

I think people are comparing the PS4 and Xbox One to the best graphics cards on the market and are coming up a little misguided in terms of thinking of these new systems as "weak".

And, even with optimization, I don't think a lot of PC gamers are going to be happy soon. Watch_Dogs recommended specs look kinda crazy, that LotR game looks crazier, and both of those games are cross-gen.

Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 are, to my knowledge, the first next-gen only games that will actually hit PC, so that'll give you guys some idea of what you'll be needing to shoot for in the future.

It's been seven years since the last console generation, so if you guys wanna keep being king of the hill you just might have to drop a bit more coin.

Tagg9

For fuck's sake, the game doesn't release for almost another year. CDP likely hasn't decided on a final resolution for the consoles yet.

maneil99

The majority of console owners still only own a Ps3/360.

Moving goalposts is fun.
Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What exactly is your point? The game is not coming to those platforms. Also, this game will end up selling more on consoles btw. You can take it to the bank.

It will sell a respectable amount targeting the high-end systems. Just like the previous Witcher games.

straw man argument where targeting less then 25% of steam users is the same as Ps3 vs PS4 userbases..?

Strawman now? i though I was moving my goalposts.

Selective shots can be argued both ways

Game is mediocre at best, selective shots downsampled and ubersampled look good in certain areas but once in an area where animations hdr and sharpening are in effect it looks bad

Have you played The Witcher 2? Because you can turn off sharpening and bloom

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't think it is unreasonable at all. The PS4 is weak and the Xbone is even weaker. I'd like to see games that lead on the PC for development, struggle to hit 1080p on the PS4.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
ITT: People find out 8GB of GDRR5 RAM isn't their lord and savior.

The Sony love on this forum is literal madness, accusing one of the best technical devs in the business of not optimizing their game because your PS4 is too weak to run it at max settings? Shameful.

FeiRR

Banned
Yeah, I noticed that, but if it was from a different Eastern European website it still made a bit of sense.
I figured that if someone there found something (if it was on a Facebook post because of the language barrier it likely was someone local), it would make some sense for that person to report it to a local website.
I tried to find that "Cyberland PC" user/site (quoted as the original source) on Facebook and I can't. Anyway, the language barrier between Polish and Russian is quite big because of the alphabet Russians use. I know it sounds cool to report a Russian website but it doesn't add to credibility of the news.

Serandur

PC Gamer Perspective: The mental classification console gamers tend to have, for every game, as either "last-gen" or "next-gen" is very odd. It's a very binary (and arbitrary) way of thinking that perceives the continuously evolving PC microprocessor market and general game development software as being purely subjected to more stagnant platforms with fixed capabilities. The Witcher 2, on the 360, may very well be a "last-gen" game. The Witcher 2 on PC is not... it's not in any generation, but by its texture resolutions, lighting effects, polygon counts, shadowing, and resolution (especially given the impressively low budget CDPR had to work with), it is not something the 360 or PS3 could have run in any meaningful manner (specifically referring to the version PC gamers played) and the PS4 and, especially, the Xbox One would still struggle a bit to run it were you to be aiming for 60 FPS (excluding ubersampling)

In the same manner, Crysis games, Metro, Battlefield 3, Arkham Origins, etc. on PC are also in their whole own league which the PS4/Xbox One would definitely still struggle with on their greater settings, let alone the PS3 and 360. Consoles do limit a lot of baselines for a lot of developers, but not completely and not for all developers. People need to understand that computer hardware and engine tools do not evolve in a binary "next or last gen" manner as consoles (really an arbitrarily-timed hardware update scheme reflective of only a small window in the continuum of processor development). On the PC, they evolve gradually over time (some obvious limits notwithstanding and with a few exceptional games that ignore the limits and cut down to their level when necessary, as well as the renaissance of scalable engines we see now) and these changes/experiences are what eventually allow developers to give a strong showing on the next generation of consoles (as well as produce more efficient and "optimized" results within the same console generation), not a binary shift in development standards, first-party developers excluded.

I dont see how it is unoptimized. They said a gtx780 ti can run it beyond 30fps, with everything maxxed out (which means crazy IQ, physx and such) and it's an open world title (bigger than skyrim).

How can you say it's an unoptimized game if you havent seen how the game looks in low preset for exemple ?

TheCloser

Banned
So, you are saying that the Witcher 3 (or other AAA games) won't target high end systems?
Most AAA devs won't, they'll target midrange systems and ps4/xb1 because that's the largest growing segment of the market. Some people believe the rest of the world is like pc gaf buying $600 gpu's. Get real, even in pc gaf, most of the upgrades are moderate. You're looking at cards like 760 and 750ti's.

That looks better than a framebuffer screengrab of The Last of Us. You're crazy.
Did I say the last of us looks next gen? No, so why make such a pointless statement? Well only you can answer that question.

Top Bottom