• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 05•16-18•14 - Efron's hard abs unable to stop Godzilla's blue meth breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

weK5LgN.jpg
m0KUZvG.jpg
ic67prg.jpg
gDZIy6F.jpg
PkL9cB3.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
72% Godzilla (2014)
9wcOG.gif
74% Neighbors
8mB0Q.gif
53% The Amazing Spider-Man 2
3Pj0x.gif
59% Million Dollar Arm
5f4ew.gif
23% The Other Woman (2014)

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source*

‘Godzilla’ Stomps Into Theaters With Record Estimated $93 Mil. Warner Bros.-Legendary Pictures tentpole driven by premium formats

Leaving a colossal footprint at the box office this weekend, Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures’ “Godzilla” estimated $93.2 million domestically through Sunday, marking the largest-ever May opening for Warner.

Historically, the weekend before Memorial Day weekend has been more modest given that it comes shortly after the first weekend in May — a huge moviegoing frame — and the long holiday fray, during which a good number of schools have commenced for the summer break.

“Anytime I beat tracking by $20 million, I’m happy,” said Warner domestic distribution prexy Dan Fellman. “That’s like a whole other movie.”

“Godzilla” benefited from massive fanboy support in the Imax and premium large-formats. The former company alone contributed 15% of the gross at $14.1 million from just 352 screens, averaging $40,057 per-screen and marking the exhib’s largest Stateside opening this year.

“When you look at what Imax did, it was clear that if you wanted to see a big monster movie, you saw it on a big screen in Imax,” Fellman added.

Other premium large-format screens contributed $8.4 million (or 9%) of the film’s opening gross, of which Cinemark (including its XD brand) led the charge with $2.2 million.

Not only does the tentpole’s overperformance skew the Memorial Day lead-in slump, it also blows away the “Godzilla” B.O. curse set nearly 16 years ago with Sony’s same-titled monster remake. Warner and Legendary’s version, meanwhile, which cost $160 million to produce, entered its theatrical blowout with postive critical reviews and strong audience interest. Pic scored a solid (though not glowing) ‘B+’ CinemaScore.

“Godzilla” led the domestic B.O. to a 17% increase over the same frame last year, when Paramount’s “Star Trek Into Darkness” scored a boffo $70 million opening.

Holdovers including Universal’s “Neighbors” and Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” which estimated $26 million and $16.8 million, respectively, also helped move the needle this weekend. “Neighbors” reached $91.5 million through Sunday; “Spider-Man” surpassed $172 million Stateside.

Also, Disney’s inspirational sports drama “Million Dollar Arm,” starring Jon Hamm, fell in line with expectations, grossing a projected $11 million in three days. The film cost just $25 million to produce and should leg out nicely given its strong ‘A-’ rating with domestic auds.

Warner’s Fellman said “Godzilla” over-indexed with Hispanics and urban audiences. He credits Legendary topper Thomas Tull and his team for spearheading the project.

“Looks like we’re going to have a nice healthy run, and a great franchise,” Fellman said. “You’ve got to give Thomas Tull credit. He hired (director) Gareth Edwards, who only made one movie before which made just $2.6 million.”

Fellman added of Edwards: “He’s a talent that we’ll see around for quite a while.”

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Godzilla - $196M
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $703M
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $633M
Frozen - $1.206B
Noah - $343M
Rio 2 - $440M

From the last thread:

Frozen's run in Japanese theatres

Weekend # - Gross - Total

1 - $7.5M - $7.5M total
2 - $8.5M - $30M total
3 - $8.6M - $52M total
4 - $8.2M - $75M total
5 - $8.3M - $91M total
6 - $8.0M - $105M total
7 - $7.6M - $119M total
8 - $11M - $143M total
9 - $7.3M - $167M total
10 - $7.9M - $180M total

It is now pretty much locked to become the highest grossing film of all time in Japan. It might even hit $300M there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"God's not Dead" made $56,000,000 in profit?

As someone who was disappointed with Godzilla I'm glad to see it do well so we can get more Kaiju movies. Just hope they get some better script writers for the next one.

Nice to see Godzilla do well after Pacific Rim's flop.
Can't wait for X-Men

Calling Pacific Rim a flop is a stretch. It cost $190 million and made $411 million. They were certainly hoping for more, but it has also certainly made a healthy profit especially with DVD/Bluray sales.

Soma

So glad to see Godzilla do well in the box office.

Yeah it had some issues but they did the big guy justice. Thinking of a possible sequel makes me very excited.

kswiston

Noah also crossed $100M this week. Despite the mixed reception, it ended up with a solid gross for its $125M pricetag.

ЯAW

Banned
Worldwide Updates:

Godzilla - $196M
Frozen - $1.206B
Noah - $343M
Rio 2 - $440M

From the last thread:

1 - $7.5M - $7.5M total
2 - $8.5M - $30M total
3 - $8.6M - $52M total
4 - $8.2M - $75M total
5 - $8.3M - $91M total
6 - $8.0M - $105M total
7 - $7.6M - $119M total
8 - $11M - $143M total
9 - $7.3M - $167M total
10 - $7.9M - $180M total

It is now pretty much locked to become the highest grossing film of all time in Japan. It might even hit $300M there.
Ghibli to release musical! Frozen's triumph around the globe really is something but it's success in Japan is truly baffling, I mean if it's even going to top Spirited Away.

Kraftwerk

Enjoyed Godzilla, some folk I know hated it due to the story or some other fucking reason. Not expecting a Shakespearean level story from this, wanted to be entertained and I was.

SvrVZ4s.gif

Tucah

you speak so well
Godzilla was very good, glad to see it's successful. Not perfect but a solid story with a really fantastic climax.

TheMan

Godzilla worth to watch in theater or wait for bluray?

my friends and I all thought it was mediocre. it has a stupid plot, overly dramatic dialogue, and merely decent fighting scenes. i'm sure some will say that's the point, and if you agree then you might like the film more than we did. i would have rather spent 1 dollar on a redbox rental rather than 10x that for the movie ticket.

kswiston

Where are those dudes that said Godzilla was going to flop after Pacific Rim flopped?

This is what I said in Pacific Rim's OW box office thread:

Emmerich's Godzilla made more than Pacific Rim will likely make, and it was released 15 years ago. I think that a Godzilla movie done right has the potential to make a decent amount of money. No idea if the 2014 take will be that movie though.

Seems like the 2014 take was that movie. At least from a marketing stand point. I have not seen the film.

EDIT: it looks like me and BoobyRoberts argued with Jett over it bombing due to the $150-200M price tag in that thread. I don't see a ton of people saying Godzilla would bomb though:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622906&page=7

artist

Banned
Worldwide Updates:

Godzilla - $196M
Frozen - $1.206B
Noah - $343M
Rio 2 - $440M

From the last thread:

1 - $7.5M - $7.5M total
2 - $8.5M - $30M total
3 - $8.6M - $52M total
4 - $8.2M - $75M total
5 - $8.3M - $91M total
6 - $8.0M - $105M total
7 - $7.6M - $119M total
8 - $11M - $143M total
9 - $7.3M - $167M total
10 - $7.9M - $180M total

Man, I hate watching trashy movies like Frozen rake that kind of money in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom