• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 05•16-18•14 - Efron's hard abs unable to stop Godzilla's blue meth breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Days of Future Past is at $262M worldwide this weekend. I think that gives it by far the largest overseas opening of the year. $600M will be passed with ease.

RedStep

I don't find it surprising Godzilla was so front loaded. It will still be over 150 domestic after this weekend which is more than I thought it would do total a few months ago. 450-500 WW will mean it was profitable

It felt like it would have a sharp drop - even though I liked it, I have to add a "but" when recommending it. As in "It was a good movie, but don't expect a ton of action". People at work hated it, I haven't heard any actual recommendations. Kind of a strange movie, when you're selling toys and wanting kids to go, expectations are different.

(Oddly, my 6-year-old daughter loved it and had no criticism. My 5-year-old son hated it and said it was the most boring movie ever)

Road

Days of Future Past is at $262M worldwide this weekend. I think that gives it by far the largest overseas opening of the year. $600M will be passed with ease.

It is the biggest, but it's also the widest simultaneously -- 100 territories. The others were staggered across two or more weekends.

Anyway, happy for X-Men. An increase is an increase. Frontloaded as hell; hope WOM exists outside of internet forums.

kswiston

It is the biggest, but it's also the widest simultaneously -- 100 territories. The others were staggered across two or more weekends.

$170M might still stack up favourably against Cap/Spider-man if you took first week totals across territories. If you are talking about past X-men movies, it is zero contest. Past titles struggled to cross the $200M mark overseas for the most part. This film will be there by Wednesday.

Speaking of which:

Amazing Spider-man 2 - $676M worldwide
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $708M worldwide
Frozen - $1.219B

- Amazing Spider-Man 2 will pass Cap 2, but it's starting to look pretty likely it will fail to top its prequel
- Frozen is now the highest grossing film of 2013 worldwide

If those BOM numbers have international updates the I think Sony are going to struggle to profit from ASM2. If it doesn't then I hope it forces them to go back to the drawing board before ASM3 production starts. Get rid if Orci. Get a new screenplay in and script done and maybe even a new director, though Webb seems to be good at getting the best out of Garfield.

It felt like it would have a sharp drop - even though I liked it, I have to add a "but" when recommending it. As in "It was a good movie, but don't expect a ton of action". People at work hated it, I haven't heard any actual recommendations. Kind of a strange movie, when you're selling toys and wanting kids to go, expectations are different.

(Oddly, my 6-year-old daughter loved it and had no criticism. My 5-year-old son hated it and said it was the most boring movie ever)
I know what you mean. Its difficult to give a solid recommendation as it does seem to be a divisive film. I really enjoyed it but I'm also pretty big Godzilla nerd; its hard to know how the average movie goer is going to view the slow burn and human sections. I did take my parents and sister and they all had positive impressions at the end so idk.

I was really impressed with DoFP, I hope it has some long legs.

Mario007

If those BOM numbers have international updates the I think Sony are going to struggle to profit from ASM2. If it doesn't then I hope it forces them to go back to the drawing board before ASM3 production starts. Get rid if Orci. Get a new screenplay in and script done and maybe even a new director, though Webb seems to be good at getting the best out of Garfield.

I enjoyed the movie (Spiderman bits were absolutely amazing) but this is true. Get a new pair of writers. The story is good, the acting is good, the directing is good but you need a good screenplay. What's more worrying is that Kurtzman is set to direct Venom so I think Sony seems to be happy with the duo.

Road

$170M might still stack up favourably against Cap/Spider-man if you took first week totals across territories. If you are talking about past X-men movies, it is zero contest. Past titles struggled to cross the $200M mark overseas for the most part. This film will be there by Wednesday.

Was talking about 2014. DoFP was apparently bigger than the others individually in some countries. When BOM updates, we can add each one individually for greater (in)accuracy.

Changing to domestic opening weekends:

CATWS: $95m ($9m IMAX)
TASM2: $92m ($9m IMAX)
G: $93m ($14m IMAX)
XDoFP: $90m ($0 IMAX)

No, this doesn't implicate X-Men would have been better with IMAX, but who knows...

I enjoyed the movie (Spiderman bits were absolutely amazing) but this is true. Get a new pair of writers. The story is good, the acting is good, the directing is good but you need a good screenplay. What's more worrying is that Kurtzman is set to direct Venom so I think Sony seems to be happy with the duo.
That was when they though ASM2 would make around $800m globally which is enough if an operating profit for them to continue down the current path. It will make around $720m globally with a higher proportion of income from China Film which has a lower yield for them. Derived revenue for ASM2 at $720m with the current level of Chinese returns is around $320m. With a purported $375m budget for production and promotion it means SPE will barely make any money after home video income. ASM had a smaller budget and made more money. ASM2 is a commercial failure and SPE will have to change the formula to re-energise the franchise. Though I don't see the need for a reboot.

Mario007

That was when they though ASM2 would make around $800m globally which is enough if an operating profit for them to continue down the current path. It will make around $720m globally with a higher proportion of income from China Film which has a lower yield for them. Derived revenue for ASM2 at $720m with the current level of Chinese returns is around $320m. With a purported $375m budget for production and promotion it means SPE will barely make any money after home video income. ASM had a smaller budget and made more money. ASM2 is a commercial failure and SPE will have to change the formula to re-energise the franchise. Though I don't see the need for a reboot.

Definitely no need for a reboot. You pretty much got a good set-up in ASM2, introduce new love interest for Peter, a group of villains out to get him etc. Just need a good writer. Can't be that hard to find one. I mean I'm in for more Garefield Spidey and even though
we lost Emma Stone
I feel like Dane Daneen (is that how you spell his name) was really great in ASM2 so the actors are there. Just get a better writer.

BLACKLAC

3-Day Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) X-Men Days of Future Past - $90.7M
2) Godzilla - $31.4M - $149M total
3) Blended - $14.25M
4) Neighbors - $13.9M - $114M total
5) Amazing Spider-man 2 - $7.8M - $185M

- Horrendous hold for Godzilla
- Not amazing for X-men either

Could the Singer situation be a cause for the lower than projected numbers of DoFP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom