• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 05•16-18•14 - Efron's hard abs unable to stop Godzilla's blue meth breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Say that to Batman 6 and 7

Like Batman has competition from his DC brethren lol. Not to mention how much WB poors into him, he's popular in every form of media he's in, and even has the best comic book videogames atm. Spider-Man has fucking Beenox making his games, and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe blossoming ahead of where Sony has him. No one here is gonna tell you Sony is handling the property well (well, maybe some will, but not me!)

The next Batman is a crossover, so it will probably break back easily.

kswiston

I see that you skipped Batman 5. $374M worldwide on a $150M production budget (not including the marketing costs) and it still got a sequel.

Batman 5 had to undo the damage of the previous movie, which was what Amazing Spider-man was supposed to do. We're talking about the second movie into the relaunch.

Also, Sony sat on Spider-man for 5 years. 5 and 8 years aren't exactly worlds of difference.

Abounder

Banned
The future seems brutal for ASM3 because other premier superhero franchises will offer must-see experiences like Batman/Superman, X-Men's Age of Apocalypse, and Captain America 3 will be following not only CA2 but Avengers 2. ASM3 needs to bring back positive word of mouth for the webslinger

Also, Sony sat on Spider-man for 5 years. 5 and 8 years aren't exactly worlds of difference.

Does the 1966 film not count as Batman 1? Those eight years are helped by the fact that Batman Begins was much darker than the campy Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. The ASM series isn't all that different from Rami's trilogy in terms of tone, which may be adding to the fatigue.

kswiston

Does the 1966 film not count as Batman 1? Those eight years are helped by the fact that Batman Begins was much darker than the campy Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. The ASM series isn't all that different from Rami's trilogy in terms of tone, which may be adding to the fatigue.

I suppose technically, but that was just a movie tie-in to the TV show, so I don't really count it.

As for the rest, that was Sony's choice.

ZoddGutts

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/amazing-spider-man-2-box-office-international-launch/

ASM2's budget was $250 million, plus around $180 million extra spent on marketing. That's
$430 million total. Remember get roughly 50% of ticket sales (sometimes less from International markets depending on what deals were made). So then ASM needs to make about $860 million to break even. Note that the marketing figure is estimate, no one knows exactly so it could be more...

Sony also doesn't make any money from merchandising for the Spidey movies, Marvel does.

Batman 5 had to undo the damage of the previous movie, which was what Amazing Spider-man was supposed to do. We're talking about the second movie into the relaunch.

I'd say 3 more years makes a big difference. Also, I'm not sure what damage you're talking about when it comes to Spider-Man - you're forgetting how much Spider-Man 3 grossed.

kswiston

I'd say 3 more years makes a big difference. Also, I'm not sure what damage you're talking about when it comes to Spider-Man - you're forgetting how much Spider-Man 3 grossed.

It made a ton of money in that first week, but legs were shit, and home video sales poor compared to the first two films. Amazing Spider-man faced the same problem that Pirates 4 did domestically, and people were expecting the drop. ASM2 has no excuse other than the fact that Sony messed their relaunch up.

It made a ton of money in that first week, but legs were shit, and home video sales poor compared to the first two films. Amazing Spider-man faced the same problem that Pirates 4 did domestically, and people were expecting the drop. ASM2 has no excuse other than the fact that Sony messed their relaunch up.

It still grossed 12% more than Spider-Man 2 world-wide.

Enjoyed Godzilla, some folk I know hated it due to the story or some other fucking reason. Not expecting a Shakespearean level story from this, wanted to be entertained and I was.

SvrVZ4s.gif

Holy fuck, is "People shouldn't expect Shakespeare" the default response to those who didn't find the film that entertaining? My friend's status update today is eerily similar to yours.

lhjhalC.jpg

Kusagari

It still grossed 12% more than Spider-Man 2 world-wide.

Do you really think Sony started the reboot series with the expectation that they wouldn't match SM3 by the second title?

And if anything the domestic gross constantly falling with each title paints a bleak picture for ASM3 beating SM3 either.

Amalthea

Banned
No place for songs in Godzilla, thankfully. Besides, Frozen is one of the weakest films in Disney's catalogue.
Uh, there are quite a few Godzilla films that contain songs. Monsters like King Caesar or Mothra must be summoned by a swanky musical number first or they won't give a shit.

Shouldve called it MUTO, gimme a high five!
*internet high five*
Real talk, I would've loved the film if it was called "MUTO".
It would have actually been kind of tragic.
It was so cute when the Muto's rubbed each others faces before the female took the missile.

Kraftwerk

Holy fuck, is "People shouldn't expect Shakespeare" the default response to those who didn't find the film that entertaining? My friend's status update today is eerily similar to yours.

lhjhalC.jpg

What if I am your friend? :0

I know what you are saying, and I can see why my response is not that great. But honestly, when I go see movies such as Godzilla, Transformers, Expendables and whatnot; me and whoever I am going with go have a few drinks beforehand and then just enjoy all the chaos.

I do enjoy movies with depth and all that jazz,, and I am not trying to say that action movies should have shitty stories. I just feel that some people expect too much from the story in these blockbuster action movies.

Pray this doesn't get past a quick reference:

frozen-easter-eggs-tangled.jpg

What if Disney decides to start linking all their future Princess movies and then eventually doing an Avengers type reunion movie. Wonder if it'd be met with any success. Of course, that's likely just an easter egg, but still, interesting.

Toad.T

Banned
Uh, there are quite a few Godzilla films that contain songs. Monsters like King Caesar or Mothra must be summoned by a swanky musical number first or they won't give a shit.

Jet Jaguar, Jet Jaguar, He mother never really loved hiiiiiimmmmmm.

What if Disney decides to start linking all their future Princess movies and then eventually doing an Avengers type reunion movie. Wonder if it'd be met with any success. Of course, that's likely just an easter egg, but still, interesting.

They were planning to do that for their last traditionally animated (And 50th) feature film. But then Princess and The Frog bombed, which shut it all down.

Where did I say they didn't have higher hopes for it? I said it will make them money, which it will when it's all said and done. You guys can keep pretending it won't with bullshit estimations, but they have already announced a sequel and spinoffs (which I'm sure won't have Spider-Man budgets.. I'm still not sure if those will even do well). I don't see them announcing those if they were unsure whether or not this film would make profit.

The problem here is that you assume when people call a movie flop that they're saying it won't make any money. Obviously this movie will still make a profit and they would be foolish not to make another. It's still Sony's biggest IP and despite how poorly they have managed it spiderman is still a huge popular character.

There are 2 issues here, first one is opportunity cost. As i said above you don't want invest 400-500 million dollars into a product to make a modest profit. The other issue is that sipderman is now making less money than it did over a decade ago despite inflation and the huge surge in the overseas market.

You even have a quote showing that they were aiming to make a billion dollars (despite the spiderman name basically being in the dirt right now).

Leave the console wars bullshit on gaming side. People actively ridicule Sony in OT, especially their mishandling of Spider-Man.

And the issue there is? Sony has run the franchise into the ground, why should they be free of critiscm?

Can you quantify how much profit it needs to make?

Spider-Man was once the biggest superhero because it was one of the first done right. This is the fifth movie on its franchise. Franchise fatigue is bound to happen.

I'm not sure there is an exact number but you can be sure it's a lot higher than 700 million (if the quote on the last page is accurate 1 billion is closer to the mark).

Why hasn't franchise fatigue had an impact on say batman (or other franchises like say bond). All of marvels properties are surging in popularity despite flooding the market. Spiderman is now on level with captain america and barely bigger than thor. Batman and ironman are now by far and away more popular.

In general the superhero market has exploded in popularity and now arguably the biggest or 2nd biggest IP of them all has fallen so far.

Anyone who thinks Sony would be happy with this is deluding themselves. Does that mean they will stop making spiderman movies? Of course not it still makes some money and if done right has the potential to be massive. Doesn't change the fact that this movie is a pretty huge failure.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Can someone explain to me he hate Frozen is getting here? I've never seen the movie but I've heard only good things about it. Is it overrated or something?

Betty

Banned
Can someone explain to me he hate Frozen is getting here? I've never seen the movie but I've heard only good things about it. Is it overrated or something?

I would say so, it's good, but it often feels like a retread of Tangled at points and has a few too many moments where it panders to children to the detriment of it's quality, unlike Tangled.

Donos

And the issue there is? Sony has run the franchise into the ground, why should they be free of critiscm?

He didn't say that. All he is saying that people shouln't bring the "GAF is Sonyland because everybody is critzing the XB1/MS PR and is the homebase of Naughty Dog fanatics...".
Sony get's a lot of (rightful) critizism from GAF in OT/BoxOffice/Spiderman threads an got stomped/ridiculed for the failed PS3 start here like everywhere else.

Going to see Godzilla next week and to X-Men (hopefully in english). Edge of Tomorrow is coming too. Nice. Debating with my GF if we should go to Neighbors or wait for the BluRay.

Me and my gf thought Tangled >>>>>>> Frozen. I think they are both good for kids but Tangled had definitely more charm.

Tookay

Like Batman has competition from his DC brethren lol. Not to mention how much WB poors into him, he's popular in every form of media he's in, and even has the best comic book videogames atm. Spider-Man has fucking Beenox making his games, and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe blossoming ahead of where Sony has him. No one here is gonna tell you Sony is handling the property well (well, maybe some will, but not me!)

The next Batman is a crossover, so it will probably break back easily.

I don't think the movie-going audience is fatigued on the basis of whether a property is from DC or Marvel.

Buyer's remorse is more apparent on the next film's grosses. Everybody is going to see a Spiderman 3 or Pirates 3, because they've already invested this much time in a trilogy. It's when they start another one that the sequel usually gets the brunt of the last movie's poor WOM.

It's a decent movie with decent characters and great comedy, but is too busy trying to subvert/toy with genre tropes that most of the changes made to the story are either unnecessary or flat out don't make sense. And the songs suck.

Subitai

What is X-men tracking at now?
It's a decent movie with decent characters and great comedy, but is too busy trying to subvert/toy with genre tropes that most of the changes made to the story are either unnecessary or flat out don't make sense. And the songs suck.
That said, the songs are ridiculously popular and Disney can't keep up with certain merchanise. Like if your daughter decided she wanted one of the dresses from the movie for Xmas, you'd have 2nd job trying to get one for her.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
That'd be a very good opening for the franchise right? On par with The Last Stand.

It's over double what First Class did OW and nearly the entire film's run so it's a pretty big bump yeah
Reviews have been really good too so it shouldn't fall off a cliff like Last Stand did either

numble

I think Spider-Man is going to have a big drop in China this coming weekend. In 2 theaters near me in Guangzhou, they are showing X-Men on all screens this Friday (I didn't check other theaters).

Road

Last minute guesses for X-Men Days of Future Past:

Realistic: $500 million ($200m domestic $300m foreign)

Optimistic: $600 million ($220m domestic $380m foreign)

Ceiling: $700 million ($250m domestic $450m foreign)

My fanboy wet dreams because it deserves it: $800 million ($300m domestic $500m foreign)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom