• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 05•16-18•14 - Efron's hard abs unable to stop Godzilla's blue meth breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

These weekend box numbers are fine and dandy but the true measure of success will be weekend 2. Happy for Gareth, though.

Weekend 2 is memorial day. Godzilla will likely be sitting in the $170-175M by next Monday. It can have Watchmen legs after that and still clear $200M domestic with ease. Based on the overseas gross, I think $500M is the bare minimum worldwide gross.

Calling Pacific Rim a flop is a stretch. It cost $190 million and made $411 million. They were certainly hoping for more, but it has also certainly made a healthy profit especially with DVD/Bluray sales.

Iamrogue.com asked Legendary CEO Thomas Tull about a Pacific Rim sequel.

IAR said:
On another subject, there's a rumor that Legendary is working on a Pacific Rim 2. Can you confirm or deny that?

Tull: Here's the deal. We're very close with Guillermo. He's doing Crimson Peak for us right now. With the amount of money that we did on Pacific Rim, over $400 million, it didn't quite hit our expectations, but it did better than a lot of other films. If there's another great story to tell with Guillermo then we're all over it because we think it's really hard to create one of these things from scratch. The movie did really well on home video and merchandise, and it certainly has a big international following. We're not just going to do Pacific Rim 2 just to do it. Right now we're talking to Guillermo del Toro. If we can crack the story, we all think it's great, and it's him at the helm, then fantastic. But right now there's nothing going on officially to proclaim.

Source

Ceebs

Calling Pacific Rim a flop is a stretch. It cost $190 million and made $411 million. They were certainly hoping for more, but it has also certainly made a healthy profit especially with DVD/Bluray sales.

Most of that was international though, where studios receive far less from the gross (And I am pretty sure China, a big country for that movie, is even less than the usual international split.) Add in marketing costs and I would be shocked if it actually did break even.

Weekend 2 is memorial day. Godzilla will likely be sitting in the $170-175M by next Monday. It can have Watchmen legs after that and still clear $200M domestic with ease. Based on the overseas gross, I think $500M is the bare minimum worldwide gross.
I think I remember Tull of Legendary mentioning they needed over 380 m worldwide for the film to break even.

There were a few people doubting Godzilla would be a big draw in the B.O. thread when ASM2 opened 2 weeks ago. Or that it would even hurt SM's legs. Now it ended up beating ASM2 opening...

jtb

Banned
Well deserved. One of the best reboots in recent memory.

Particularly glad it outperformed Spiderman's OW, which is one of the worst reboots in recent memory.

artist

Banned
having rewatched Frozen just recently, I can confirm that Tangled is actually the better movie (Wreck-It Ralph too)
There are a lot animation movies that are far superior to Frozen like those you mentioned. Heck, even Toy Story 3 was much better.

ZoddGutts

Yup, it's already a huge success. 200M is a lock. No one will argue if the movie had made a profit let alone broke even by the end of it's run, unlike with Pacific Rim which people still argue if it was a success or not. Sequel for Godzilla is coming, Pacific Rim on the other hand....

Really curious as to how Godzilla will perform in Japan. Has their been any word on what they think of the movie so far, aside from the "fat" comments a couple weeks ago? Any hype?

Daingurse

Godzilla_(2003).gif

Gooooooood, good.

Fezan

Gotta love it when everyone decides Frozen is bad because it's made a shitton of money

¯_(ツ)_/¯
nah frozen was just meh. There are much better animated movies.

ASM 2 not making this much money makes me sad. It was disappointing but very enjoyable movie.

Glad for godzilla. Hopefully xmen wont cut its legs

jett

D-Member
Gotta love it when everyone decides Frozen is bad because it's made a shitton of money

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It happens with every mega-success. Neckbeards considered Titanic one of the worst movie of all time for a while. Same deal with ABADAR.

Holy shit @ Godzilla. Granted, they made some awesome trailers but I never expected it to do that well.

EDIT:
it also blows away the “Godzilla” B.O. curse set nearly 16 years ago with Sony’s same-titled monster remake.
Holy shit, that was 16 years ago?! I'm getting old.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
In a franchise that made $115m opening weekend and over $800m worldwide 12 years ago.

If Avatar 2 does $1.4 billion worldwide, people will label it a failure as well.

The movie has only been out two weeks in NA and three weeks internationally. It's at $633M as of now, so let's check back middle of June (a month and a half is the exact amount of time it has taken for CA:WS to get to ~$700M) to see where it's at before comparing it to SM3.

kswiston

The movie has only been out two weeks in NA and three weeks internationally. It's at $633M as of now, so let's check back middle of June (a month and a half is the exact amount of time it has taken for CA:WS to get to ~$700M) to see where it's at before comparing it to SM3.

It's been out 3 weekends domestically and 3-5 weekends internationally. We don't need to wait a month. All of the international markets have opened.

Weekend international gross for ASM2 is $31.5M. Last weekend's international gross was $69.5M. The Weekend before was $116M. Its run is wrapping up quickly. Spider-man has $30-40M domestic left in the tank, and maybe double that overseas. Most probable worldwide finish is $720-750M. It will top Captain America worldwide, but barely. If X-Men hits it hard enough, it could conceivably fail to hit $720M. Man of Steel collapsed pretty rapidly at this point in its run last year.

Best case scenario for Sony is that the Overseas gains (particularly in China) make up for the domestic losses. And that ignores the fact that they only get 25% of the take in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom