• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•10-12•17 - Giant gorilla, just like in one of those old video games, king

Status
Not open for further replies.
screen-shot-2013-08-05-at-8-53-52-pm.png

Son Of D

I really wonder how BatB does overseas. In America is is going to do extremely well, as is already known.

Anecdotal but the cinema I work (in the UK) at had BatB sold out for 2D screens whilst 3D screens were at most 60% full. Also Get Out was incredibly popular with both screenings last night selling out.

hmm, enough lower than the $68m that was thrown around last night to make it now a toss up to beat BvS for March record. Thinking Disney's estimate tomorrow will be over so it gets the March record headlines.

They've probably already recorded the tv/radio spots that reference breaking records, so yeah.

kswiston

Friday studio estimates

1) Beauty and the Beast - $63.8M
2) Kong: Skull Island - $7.3M (-64%) - $89M total
3) Logan - $4.7M (-55%) - $171M total
4) Get Out - $3.8M (-38%) - $124M total
5) The Shack - $1.6M (-40%) - $38M total
6) The Belko Experiment - $1.5M

Beauty and the Beast is at $104M worldwide after Friday

pestul

With St. Patrick's Day Friday and BatB being a very family oriented film, I really think this one is going to earn a lot on Sat/Sun. That's probably why the March record is still in play.

kswiston

Actually, Gitesh is saying that the $40.3M OS total listed on BOM is just for Friday and that the actual total should be $50.8M OS, and $115M worldwide. That makes more sense given China and the UK's take on Friday ($19M combined).

The Worldwide total for Beauty and the Beast should pass $300M this weekend.

kswiston

Get Out's gonna cross 150, right?

How close can it get to 175?

Get Out will be about $20M ahead of Split after 4 weekends, coming off a fourth weekend that's about 40% higher than Split's.

Split is heading to around $138M. The same drops would leave Get Out at nearly $170M. Get out has been dropping better than Split so far.

gamz

Get Out will be about $20M ahead of Split after 4 weekends, coming off a fourth weekend that's about 40% higher than Split's.

Split is heading to around $138M. The same drops would leave Get Out at nearly $170M. Get out has been dropping better than Split so far.

That's an amazing one two punch to start the year. Wow!

kswiston

It looks like Rth is putting Beauty and the Beast's Saturday somewhere around $60M.

Biggest-Geek-Ever isn't going to get his $200M opening, but BvS's record has a pretty good chance of falling.

Guess every year Disney will have one live action remake of an old animated movie, at least two Marvel movies, and a Star Wars movie. Not exactly shocking before this weekend.

And seems March is a good time to open big movies nowadays. Looking at other months, the post-summer/winter break months are barely over $55mil, with only American Sniper way past it in January.

On Beauty and the Best taking March, I am curious if Thor 3 or Justice League can top Hunger Games (again if JL) for November. I don't see any other movie leading a month. Maybe Kingsman 2 in October, but opening the same day as Blade Runner might split things.

kswiston

Guess every year Disney will have one live action remake of an old animated movie, at least two Marvel movies, and a Star Wars movie. Not exactly shocking before this weekend.

And seems March is a good time to open big movies nowadays. Looking at other months, the post-summer/winter break months are barely over $55mil, with only American Sniper way past it in January.

On Beauty and the Best taking March, I am curious if Thor 3 or Justice League can top Hunger Games (again if JL) for November. I don't see any other movie leading a month. Maybe Kingsman 2 in October, but opening the same day as Blade Runner might split things.

April was September-tier until just a few years ago. Anger Management was the record holder with $42M before Clash of the Titans broke the $60M mark on the back of the 3D novelty wave. Even now, the Top 20 opening weekend cut off in April isn't much better than the cutoff in September.

The Fast and Furious films have since driven that April opening record way up, and it looks like we will be getting at least 1 huge April release a year for the foreseeable future. It's only a matter of time before someone does the same thing in Late September and in October.

It looks like Rth is putting Beauty and the Beast's Saturday somewhere around $60M.

Biggest-Geek-Ever isn't going to get his $200M opening, but BvS's record has a pretty good chance of falling.
Boooo! :p

With $60M Sat, the March record will be close, so the actuals this weekend could be very exciting. Regardless, Beast should be the biggest opener until Star Wars.

Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3, and Pirates 3 opening weekends adjust to $190M, $152M, and $144M respectively, so it's certainly possible for three films to open over $150M in a month.

It'd just require studios to go as batshit crazy as they did in 2007.

Yeah, but adjusted numbers ain't shit
Fight me.

I mean, those adjusted numbers are probably underselling how big those openings would have been, since large format screens provide a much bigger boost to the openings of blockbusters nowadays.

Following May 2007 was fucking bonkers; those 3 were the biggest franchises Hollywood had at the time. It would be like if Universal for some reason decided to move up Jurassic World 2 to the same month as Avengers 3 and the Han Solo flick. Which, at the very least, would make for some very entertaining GAF threads.

It'll be interesting to watch Beauty and the Beast. I think word of mouth might be quite a bit better than some of the reviews indicate. My wife and her cousin just got back from the movie and they both loved it, and were saying Disney did an amazing job.

Film is gonna do some crazy business that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom