• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•10-12•17 - Giant gorilla, just like in one of those old video games, king

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I wonder if a monster opening will come with the trade-off of truncated legs in comparison to most of the other Disney live-action fairytale stuff.

The Alice films had the worst legs to date, and even those were over 2.85x their opening weekends.

I wonder if a monster opening will come with the trade-off of truncated legs in comparison to most of the other Disney live-action fairytale stuff.

The Alice films had the worst legs to date, and even those were over 2.85x their opening weekends.

Judging by reviews on Beast, it might not have the same legs as the last couple live action adaptations. But, if the opening is as beastly as predicted, it won't really matter.

Fantastic 4 made $167 million on a $120 million budget

that's the floor

I think with even a bad R-rated superhero movie, the floor will always be well above the budget. We have all been afraid the big bad R rating... but in reality there is such a massive adult fanbase for this stuff.

Except that the thing about Logan/Deadpool that made them large successes to the point of wanting to emulate them were their budgets, not their rating. The takeaway here if you're a company looking to make money shouldn't be that you should/have to make your movies R-rated, it should be that you don't have to make a $150-$200 million superhero movie where the world is at stake in the third act, that you can make a more personal movie at $50-100 million and possibly still make just as much, if not more money in profit. There are tons of comic book characters and stories that can be explored without ever having to touch an R rating.

Edit: In other words, that an R-rated X-Men team movie isn't going to be or do better because it's an R-rated movie. Figure out the story, find a creative who is passionate about telling it, and try to keep the budgets down where you can. If that involves an R-rating, then so be it, but adjust expectations (and budget) accordingly.

Judging by reviews on Beast, it might not have the same legs as the last couple live action adaptations. But, if the opening is as beastly as predicted, it won't really matter.

Eh, reviews won't probably matter as much this time. The film could still end up with a 3X multiplier.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Eh, reviews won't probably matter as much this time. The film could still end up with a 3X multiplier.

Movie is gonna be huge. Reviews could be all 4/10s it won't matter. If it the story is close to the original and has all the same songs. It won't matter.

3N16MA

Banned

The Jungle Book only has slightly better legs than Maleficent despite receiving higher praise form critics. Of course Jungle Book opened to a much bigger haul and grossed more WW.

However like you said it probably won't matter much. The opening will be huge.

Except that the thing about Logan/Deadpool that made them large successes to the point of wanting to emulate them were their budgets, not their rating. The takeaway here if you're a company looking to make money shouldn't be that you should/have to make your movies R-rated, it should be that you don't have to make a $150-$200 million superhero movie where the world is at stake in the third act, that you can make a more personal movie at $50-100 million and possibly still make just as much, if not more money in profit. There are tons of comic book characters and stories that can be explored without ever having to touch an R rating.

Edit: In other words, that an R-rated X-Men team movie isn't going to be or do better because it's an R-rated movie. Figure out the story, find a creative who is passionate about telling it, and try to keep the budgets down where you can. If that involves an R-rating, then so be it, but adjust expectations (and budget) accordingly.

I agree, looking at what Fox has done with Deadpool and now Logan it shows you don't need to always make these huge $150+ million CBMs and that you can do just as well if not better with smaller scale movies

Sulik2

I must truly be out of touch.I have zero interest in the live action Beast movie, but apparently everyone else in the USA wants to see it.

Bulzeeb

They become best friends after discovering both their mothers are named Mothma.

this 2 pics need to be shared here

this one is to long to post here, so I'll just post the link

http://i.imgur.com/Da2164l.jpg

wFBF3mW.png

kswiston

Variety/Deadline are reporting an expected overseas take of around $120M for Beauty and the Beast this weekend.

They have consistently under-estimated openings these past few weeks. I think they had Logan at $170M WW, and it debuted over $240M. Kong was placed at $110M, and it opened to >$145M. I expect that Beauty and the Beast will follow suit.

$120M overseas seems pretty low for a film that is heading towards at least a $40M opening in China.

kswiston

I wonder how long we will have to wait before we know whether or not Power Ranger is a critical dumpster fire. There definitely doesn't seem to be any sort of rush towards early reviews for buzz building purposes.

jett

D-Member
I must truly be out of touch.I have zero interest in the live action Beast movie, but apparently everyone else in the USA wants to see it.

I don't understand where this hype is coming from either. It looks thoroughly mediocre.

BumRush

I don't understand where this hype is coming from either. It looks thoroughly mediocre.

With a lot of these movies, so many people who grew up with the animated classics don't want to miss the remake.

My wife's friends already have a girls night planned since they saw the original together when they were kids...

I wonder how long we will have to wait before we know whether or not Power Ranger is a critical dumpster fire. There definitely doesn't seem to be any sort of rush towards early reviews for buzz building purposes.

(Shrug) "90s kids, I guess?"
(Shrug) "I guess"
(Sigh) "push it on out there, then"

My wife's friends already have a girls night planned since they saw the original together when they were kids...

This is partially why I think the legs won't be there. I'm not hearing a lot of positive word of mouth from older fans. They'll show up on opening weekend and bail out. I'm not sure the younger fans will pick up a lot of that slack, because apparently this version of the story is a lot longer, not as fun, and when you make this story live action, the weird kidnapping/bestiality aspects of it start feeling... differently than they do in full animation.

Keep in mind, even if that paragraph there sounds negative, I feel like that paragraph is still going to equal north of $400 mil domestic, easy.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

I honestly don't think its going to get hammered in reviews. The trailers show it'll at least have a decent amount of fun. I'm expecting an RT% in the 40s or so.

3N16MA

Banned

Power Rangers is riding the same nostalgia wave as ID4 2. Guaranteed success.

tonka

I remember thinking that was going to be way bigger than it was.

I almost forgot it even happened until you just mentioned it.

I remember considering it for the worst cinema experience I'd had.
I bought a ticket for Independence Day (the first one) the day before that film was supposed to come out, and they came into the screen and said they couldn't get that working, so they showed the new film instead.

Not an enormous buzz around people I know for Beauty and the Beast, but I'm interested in seeing how it does

kswiston

Kswis any tracking on Ghost in The Shell?

boxoffice.com has it at $40M OW/$105M total domestic. I haven't seen much else in the way of tracking. It's both not large enough for presales several weeks before release and 5th in the lineup of expensive March films this year. We will probably have to wait another week or so before deadline or variety chime in.

3N16MA

Banned
I remember thinking that was going to be way bigger than it was.

I almost forgot it even happened until you just mentioned it.

Caught it on Netflix not too long ago. It's mind numbing just how horrible it is. The characters are flat as a board, they managed to make the somewhat enjoyable characters from the first film a complete nothing, the dialogue is below Battleship level, they managed to suck out all the fun from a big budget popcorn flick.

Will Smith made the right decision to pass.

Schlorgan

Caught it on Netflix not too long ago. It's mind numbing just how horrible it is. The characters are flat as a board, they managed to make the somewhat enjoyable characters from the first film a complete nothing, the dialogue is below Battleship level, they managed to suck out all the fun from a big budget popcorn flick.

Will Smith made the right decision to pass.
Which is sad since IDR had a better critical reception than Suicide Squad. Squad made a lot more money though, so overall the right call.

Oh, we're talking ID4-2?

tumblr_inline_o0wws9bTff1tbiac5_540.png

I'll just leave my spoiler post on it here. And then you think: "this has to be the worst editing I've ever seen". And then you get hit by Suicide Squad.

Excuse me while I go severely poison my liver.

Speaking of booze shortage, have you good people seen the latest Resident Evil? Because that happened. I think. I don't know, my liver is pretty drunk from all this shitty editing.

And of course, the theatrical cuts of Ghostbusters 2016 (that came out) and Spectre, the worst Bond movie after Roger Moore. That happened. After the wonderful Skyfall too, like, how?

I mean, what's the point of making a movie when the studio doesn't even provide sufficient time to actually edit all that footage into an actual movie? Editing matters, man.
(which is the primary reason why I like The Accountant: from the first minute on, you know the editor is doing his / her job, and doing it well. It's weird, but that's what I look for in movies now...)

okay, I'll just let you guys get back to your sales that are ruining movies. Aside from Disney that is. (and I may not be entirely drunk joking about that last one)
At least I can now remake They Live: "I'm all out of booze and awkwardly stumble. And I'm all out of booze."

El Topo

boxoffice.com has it at $40M OW/$105M total domestic. I haven't seen much else in the way of tracking. It's both not large enough for presales several weeks before release and 5th in the lineup of expensive March films this year. We will probably have to wait another week or so before deadline or variety chime in.

Question is if the movie will work as well overseas as Lucy did.

GhaleonEB

Going to go with $160 opening, $440 total, domestic. I think the hypothesis that it will be on the more front-loaded side of things for Disney remakes is probably right.

I'm gonna stick with the $575M I predicted earlier, off ~$200M opening. I could be putting too much stock in the online hype (I've certainly done that before!) and assuming this will attract all audience quadrants more than it will, but I can't shake the feeling this run is going to be something special. But I won't be disappointed if it makes "only" $150M this weekend. The legs are another question mark, but Alice in Wonderland got a 2.9 multiplier and I don't think most audiences are going into this asking for more than "It's Beauty and the Beast, but live action."

Some updates from deadline: http://deadline.com/2017/03/beauty-and-the-beast-weekend-box-office-selling-out-1202045224/

Non-Disney early estimates are pegging Beauty and the Beast between $12M-$14M for tonight, which would blow away recent Disney live action titles, The Jungle Book ($4.2m Thursday, $32M Friday) on its first Thursday and Cinderella ($2.3M Thursday, $23M Friday). That's a great start for a female-skewing film and unlike last year's Batman v. Superman which was frontloaded with a $27.7M Thursday –the best for the month of March– sources' notions are that Beauty will blossom throughout the weekend.

After Batman vs. Superman, The Hunger Games five years ago clocked $19.7M on its first Thursday.

Fandango is reporting that already more than 1,000 showtimes are sold out this weekend across the country from big cities like New York and Los Angeles to small ones from Billings, Montana to Texarkana, Texas. That number is on par to the pre-sales for say, Dark Knight, Avengers and the Twilight sequels at this point in time.

Still that doesn't mean that tickets aren't available for the Bill Condon-directed musical. In the digital age, exhibitors can add showtimes in the blink of the eye, and if you look at say a theater like the Hollywood Arclight on Sunset Blvd, they're showing the movie ten times tonight, but that goes up to 30 showtimes tomorrow. One takeaway from the heartland pre-sales of Beauty and the Beast: The whole uproar among the faith-based over the pic's LeFou homosexual character doesn't seem to be slowing business one bit.

Currently the online ticket seller says that Beauty and the Beast is set to topple one of its biggest March pre-sellers Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice with more than 90% of this weekend's ticket sales on Fandango alone. As previously reported, Beauty is already Fandango's biggest family pre-seller outstripping the advance sales of Finding Dory and Captain America: Civil War.

Deadline/Variety are sticking with their $120-140M range.

Was talking to someone about this, he said he thinks the movie can make it to the all time Top 5 (not adjusted for inflation) but I'm on the Deadline boat, feel like the movie's gonna slightly underperform with Kong dominating international BO at the moment and still yet to open in China.

Sulik2

If Scarjo wasn't in Ghost I bet we would be looking at a Ben Hur level flop from it. It looks terrible, but she is quite a draw as Lucy proved so seems like it might not completely crash and burn.

Variety/Deadline are reporting an expected overseas take of around $120M for Beauty and the Beast this weekend.

They have consistently under-estimated openings these past few weeks. I think they had Logan at $170M WW, and it debuted over $240M. Kong was placed at $110M, and it opened to >$145M. I expect that Beauty and the Beast will follow suit.

$120M overseas seems pretty low for a film that is heading towards at least a $40M opening in China.

Any guesses as to why they've been underestimating lately? Or is that normal this time of year?

kswiston

Moana finally passed $600M

Any guesses as to why they've been underestimating lately? Or is that normal this time of year?

The trades like Deadline tend to stick to studio tracking even when it's clear a film is building momentum in that week or two before release.

They were still selling Logan as $60-70M after the excellent reviews started pouring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom