• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

kswiston

A decent chunk of the adult audience won't watch an animated movie. Is Transformers still really popular with actual kids?

Remember in Transformers 2 when that one old guy comic relief character tore out his own heart in a blood sacrifice to empower a newly resurrected Optimus, who then proceeded to strip the corpse for parts ?

jetfire-death-in-transformers-1003740.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But it looks so cool when he transforms!

*WUBWUBWUBWUB*

l_4675795931cdd10de2bdb6d306afb4e4.gif

I did like that Starscream felt like he was actually really effective in that movie. Like he blew up a bunch of shit and when he showed up at the end battle the Autobots were all like "shit, it's Starscream!"

DMczaf

Things I liked about the TF series

1. Score of the first film

2. Linkin Park's song from the first film (I was young!)

3. "The boy and his first car" dynamic in the first film that Spielberg brought

...that's it.

Nononono nono ononononon ONONONONNONONO

Edit: The third movie had Bumblebee like, flying off an overpass, ejecting sam, Transforming, catching Sam, and transforming back into a car.

That was pretty cool.

Toa TAK

Banned

Edit: The third movie had Bumblebee like, flying off an overpass, ejecting sam, Transforming, catching Sam, and transforming back into a car.

That was pretty cool.

Now have you listened to the first film's score yet?

Hmmmmm?

Now have you listened to the first film's score yet?

Hmmmmm?

I did, but it was awhile back. Haven't revisited it in awhile.

I don't think I've listened to any of the others, though. I heard Jablonsky's work on those films is the definition of "just listen to the soundtrack if you wanna enjoy the music"

Toa TAK

Banned
Remember in Transformers 2 when that one old guy comic relief character tore out his own heart in a blood sacrifice to empower a newly resurrected Optimus, who then proceeded to strip the corpse for parts ?

It's okay because Optimus rips out the Fallen's heart, too.

Remember?

7KIM06B.gif

3N16MA

Banned
A decent chunk of the adult audience won't watch an animated movie. Is Transformers still really popular with actual kids?

It gets a decent amount of year around aisle space for the toy line.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise is on par with Justice League Action in terms of ratings. Not sure what that means in the overall cartoon ratings world.

kswiston

That was pretty cool.

The third film did have several cool sequences in its overall garbage plot. I can see where the false hope of a recovery for the franchise was coming from. I have only seen about two thirds of Age of Extinction, but whatever fire Bay still had in the third film was clearly extinguished by #4.

3N16MA

Banned

I thought the parts automatically attached to Optimus once he got Jetfire's heart?

Toa TAK

Banned
There's a lot of pretty cool *stuff* in these movies across the board, whether it's the CG, the action, or some wow moments, it's just that none of these are enough to justify in being in these monstrosities of cinema.

I did, but it was awhile back. Haven't revisited it in awhile.

I don't think I've listened to any of the others, though. I heard Jablonsky's work on those films is the definition of "just listen to the soundtrack if you wanna enjoy the music"

Yeah pretty much.

Triply so for the latest one. Like, what's this?

I think my most sobering moment with the Transformers franchise was in Dark of the Moon, where Optimus shoots down a decepticon ship after faking his death and his first words back are "We will kill them all."

Then, NASCAR themed but cockney accented iterations of The Wreckers proceed to descend on the helpless Deception pilot like those tiny dinosaurs in the opening to "The Lost World"

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_rrtb2ep70j4ssk4ockw4ksgc_640.gif

This is probably the first franchise where the sequels retro-actively ruined the first film for me, which I legitimately enjoyed at the time of release. Although, the first movie could still be legit good if they cut out Anthony Anderson, the blonde Aussie, John Turturro and half of Shia's NO!NO!NO!'s.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think my most sobering moment with the Transformers franchise was in Dark of the Moon, where Optimus shoots down a decepticon ship after faking his death and his first words back are "We will kill them all."

Then, NASCAR themed but cockney accented iterations of The Wreckers proceed to descend on the helpless Deception pilot like those tiny dinosaurs in the opening to "The Lost World"
That whole movie's depiction of the autobots was pretty much a sobering moment.

But at least Bumblebee didn't skin Ravage alive.

ROTF-bumblebee-vs-ravage-wasted.gif

This is probably the first franchise where the sequels retro-actively ruined the first film for me, which I legitimately enjoyed at the time of release. Although, the first movie could still be legit good if they cut out Anthony Anderson, the blonde Aussie, John Turturro and half of Shia's NO!NO!NO!'s.

NO

NOnonononono

And no, I love the Leboof. Dude's always entertaining.

Anth0ny

i remember when one of the hot girls called megatron a bitch

this was after megatron walked around with like... a ripped cloak thing the entire movie

robot clothes

3N16MA

Banned
Shia has charisma. Mark Wahlberg lacked any in the previous film.

I will take some "Nononononono" over whatever Wahlberg did.

It never really struck me when I watched the transformers movies, but Jesus fucking Christ, from the point of view of the robots, this would be a fucking gore fest wouldn't it?

Like they're not just killing each other, they're basically doing Mortal Kombat fatalities.

GhaleonEB

I still haven't seen any of Bay's Transformers (no plans to change that), but jesus those designs in the .gifs are all horrifying. So busy and ugly you can barely tell what they're supposed to even be.

It never really struck me when I watched the transformers movies, but Jesus fucking Christ, from the point of view of the robots, this would be a fucking gore fest wouldn't it?

Like they're not just killing each other, they're basically doing Mortal Kombat fatalities.
Not only that, but a couple of the transformers movies have reddish fluid erupt like a geyser from wounds.

remz

I still haven't seen any of Bay's Transformers (no plans to change that), but jesus those designs in the .gifs are all horrifying. So busy and ugly you can barely tell what they're supposed to even be.

it's pretty goofy especially considering the original designs have great (if a lil too chunky) readable silhouettes and color schemes. they did the same thing with powerrangers... dunno why they do it.

Anth0ny

he's straight up doing fatalities

I wonder if Bay and Snyder have brainstorming sessions about how RAD it would be to see a children's character in children's movies FUCKING KILL THE FUCK OUT OF A MOTHER FUCKER

giphy.gif

Laplasakos

Any chance for Pirates 5 to reach 800m in BO? Really liked the movie and i love the franchise (so unique) so i would like to see more Pirates in the future.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Any chance for Pirates 5 to reach 800m in BO? Really liked the movie and i love the franchise (so unique) so i would like to see more Pirates in the future.

I feel like it will miss $800m but it should at least hit $750m by the end of its run I would think, once its Japanese run is done. (It opens there in a few days.)

I'd say Pirates 6 with Orlando and Keira returning full time, is likely at this point, given the ending of 5.

Personally, I'd love to see Gore Verbinski to come back and end the series himself.

he's straight up doing fatalities

I wonder if Bay and Snyder have brainstorming sessions about how RAD it would be to see a children's character in children's movies FUCKING KILL THE FUCK OUT OF A MOTHER FUCKER

giphy.gif

Wow. I've never seen this before.

Pretty much seals the deal on the argument that Supes had to kill Zod or that it was included as some tragic thing for him.
not really but damn

Laplasakos

I feel like it will miss $800m but it should at least hit $750m by the end of its run I would think, once its Japanese run is done. (It opens there in a few days.)

I'd say Pirates 6 with Orlando and Keira returning full time, is likely at this point, given the ending of 5.

Personally, I'd love to see Gore Verbinski to come back and end the series himself.

Oh i didn't know that it hasn't opened in Japan yet. Yeah, Gore Verbinski returning is my wish as well and i think that the end credits scene really opened the way for the grand finale but it would take 2 movies to end it and not 1.

jett

D-Member
Most of the China box office regulars on the BOT forums are declaring $250M dead for Transformers 5 in China. TF5 is currently trailing Warcraft, which ended up with $220M total. It might be able to make up the difference, but $230M is looking like the high end for the Last Knight.

So that is $90M or more lost in China. At least $100M lost domestically (after TF4 already dropped $100M from TF3). The rest of the overseas territories aren't going to be much better.

We are likely looking at a WW total for Transformers 5 that is under the first film. Sort of crazy to think that it and Logan could end up separated by as little as $50M worldwide.

Man fuck this franchise, glad it's finally getting buried.

The way Bay and Paramount have handled TF almost seems self-destructive. At no point have they ever cared about making a good movie. Except the first one, I guess, but I didn't really like that one either so whatever.

AndyVirus

Verbinski returning to finally wrap up the franchise would be good. Don't trust it in anybody else's hands.

Was Penelope Cruz supposed to be in 5? I find it weird she didn't return yet her husband gets cast.

Remember in Transformers

You could've stopped there and the answer would still be no.

except Megan Fox on a car

Guzim

Things I liked about the TF series

1. Score of the first film

2. Linkin Park's song from the first film (I was young!)

3. "The boy and his first car" dynamic in the first film that Spielberg brought

...that's it.

You were in your 20s. You were a grown ass man!

First week for transformers in Australia was awful. It made around 3.3 million compared to 8.3 million for the last transformers and that was with almost 1/3 of the viewers per screening.

A 50%+ drop is all but guaranteed here. I expected a drop but that's massive.

It joins a host of films that have seen big drops in Australia this year. Transformers, pirates, fast and the furious, 50 shades, lego batman, alien all had big drops from their predecessors.

I like the Bay designs tho :(

I always did kinda appreciate with what they were trying to do with the Transformers. They basically wanted to make them look more like a high tech alien race rather than blocky cartoony mechs as seen in G1. I also think it lend itself to some pretty neat looking transformations sequences.

Optimus_First.gif

Rather than simply being "oh they bend over and pull their arms back and now they're a car ahuh" as seen in other TF incarnations, the Transformers here like completely re-arrange their entire structure like a really complex Rubik's Cube. Dunno, I just think it looks cool. But yeah, ultimately they just went too far with too many details and pieces everywhere and thus most of the bots just kinda end up blending together, especially in Bay's super fast paced robot battles.

Prime-1-Optimus-1.jpg

I really like this concept art of Optimus Prime from John Nizzi. Still has that high tech alien look I mentioned before but it also has a more compact, recognizable design. If they ever reboot this shit, I wouldn't mind them using designs like these.

Top Bottom