• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

3N16MA

Banned
Most of the China box office regulars on the BOT forums are declaring $250M dead for Transformers 5 in China. TF5 is currently trailing Warcraft, which ended up with $220M total. It might be able to make up the difference, but $230M is looking like the high end for the Last Knight.

So that is $90M or more lost in China. At least $100M lost domestically (after TF4 already dropped $100M from TF3). The rest of the overseas territories aren't going to be much better.

We are likely looking at a WW total for Transformers 5 that is under the first film. Sort of crazy to think that it and Logan could end up separated by as little as $50M worldwide.

Time to pack it up. You had a good run.

See you on the reboot.

My 3 year old daughter has asked me about 20 times why she can't see Wonder Woman.

Maybe she'll be old enough to see the sequel in theatres.

In other news, I should be seeing the "now 98% on Rotten Tomatoes" Baby Driver on Thursday. Two others are going with me, so I can now safely predict that the opening weekend will be >$30. Sorry Zyzzyx Rd.

My niece is almost 5 and she wants to see it. My sister passed on letting her watch it right now as she does not watch any films geared towards adults. Perhaps a little down the road.

kswiston

Dark of the Moon was at one point the 5th highest grossing film of all time worldwide.

Age of Extinction peaked as the 10th highest grossing film of all time worldwide.

Revenge of the Fallen wasn't nearly as big overseas, but I think that it peaked at #20-21 of all time worldwide.

The Last Knight could feasibly miss the Top 100.

Anth0ny

Most of the China box office regulars on the BOT forums are declaring $250M dead for Transformers 5 in China. TF5 is currently trailing Warcraft, which ended up with $220M total. It might be able to make up the difference, but $230M is looking like the high end for the Last Knight.

So that is $90M or more lost in China. At least $100M lost domestically (after TF4 already dropped $100M from TF3). The rest of the overseas territories aren't going to be much better.

We are likely looking at a WW total for Transformers 5 that is under the first film. Sort of crazy to think that it and Logan could end up separated by as little as $50M worldwide.

FINALLY THIS NIGHTMARE IS OVER

I need to make an amendment

"Luckily, in 2017, humanity smartened up... and Transformers 5 bombed. Now things make sense. The end."

Dark of the Moon was at one point the 5th highest grossing film of all time worldwide.

Age of Extinction peaked as the 10th highest grossing film of all time worldwide.

Revenge of the Fallen wasn't nearly as big overseas, but I think that it peaked at #20-21 of all time worldwide.

giphy.gif

My-reaction-watching-my-hot-neighbour-run-naked-every-morning-when-she-gets-ready-Stephen-Colbert-creepy-smile.gif

Mario007

See, he should be getting some credit for it but everyone's too busy crapping on him. He's in a no-win situation with the public. It's sad.

Same thing will happen with Justice League honestly. It will be Johns and Whedon getting the praise and Snyder getting the hate.

Just for WW, think of Snyder and his production company basically acting like Feige and the Marvel factory.

DMczaf

Considering they produced it, Zack himself put her in BvS, put her in Justice League as the founding member with Batman, Zack came up with the story for WW and the stunt guys tha worked with the Snyders were used on WW, yes it took Snyders pushing WB to get WW off the ground.

See, he should be getting some credit for it but everyone's too busy crapping on him. He's in a no-win situation with the public. It's sad.

Because sometimes...truth isn't good enough...

Shaanyboi

Banned
When do we get a Transformers film that takes place on Cybertron?
Do you think they're going to drastically inflate their budget so much as to do that? Why do you think these movies emphasize the humans so much? Because any time even a single Transformer is on screen, they cost a shit ton of money, let alone having to do a full cg environment.

kswiston

It's probably too late to scrap the Bumblebee film given that it starts production in the next month or so, but I bet that Paramount will be watching its budget like a hawk.

Paramount also has new leadership, so who knows what happens to the Transformers franchise now.

If they're making Bee a VW and setting it in the 80s and giving creative control to the Kubo guy, the chances this more or less becomes a "soft reboot" (whatever worth the term actually has) goes up quite a bit, I think.

We'll probably get a much better idea of that when we get the Bee designs. Like, if he's a lot chunkier, and has a face (and HORNS!) then I think the idea that we're kinda stepping away from the Bay-iteration.

3N16MA

Banned
Do you think they're going to drastically inflate their budget so much as to do that? Why do you think these movies emphasize the humans so much? Because any time even a single Transformer is on screen, they cost a shit ton of money, let alone having to do a full cg environment.

Paramount is in the dumps right now. Prime time to get them to overspend and try to correct a problem.

It's to our benefit.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Paramount is in the dumps right now. Prime time to get them to overspend and try to correct a problem.

It's to our benefit.
The only thing they're prime to do right now is scrap and reboot this whole awful franchise with a tone and design that isn't utterly revolting in every sense of the word.

Bay should've quit while he was ahead. Now he'll be forever known for driving the Transformers film franchise into the ground instead of building it up and leaving on a high note.

They should start over and Pixar that shit. Does Paramount even have an animation division? Seriously, I'm totally blanking here and it would be weird for them not to, wouldn't it?

Bay should've quit while he was ahead. Now he'll be forever known for driving the Transformers film franchise into the ground instead of building it up and leaving on a high note.

They should start over and Pixar that shit. Does Paramount even have an animation division? Seriously, I'm totally blanking here and it would be weird for them not to, wouldn't it?

Viacom/Paramount owns Nickelodeon, I think. So while I don't think they have an animated movie division, they could release animated movies.

Top Bottom