• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

kswiston

Which studio would you say is producing your favorite stuff?

For me, it's definitely Disney as I love star wars, Marvel has been so damn consistent and my daughter looooooves princesses right now. Disney's consistent quality makes me feel like I'm not going to waste money seeing a shitty movie (most of the time). Other studios are so hit or miss for me.

I like the (usually smaller budget) director driven stuff that Disney has largely left behind.

Disney animation is by far the best. Most of the other studios try to cram their animated films with zany randomness that they figure appeals to 7 year olds with 5 min attention spans, while sprinkling in a few jokes for their parents to laugh at. The Disney films are mostly watchable by everyone without resulting to that nearly as often.

Ross61

I like the (usually smaller budget) director driven stuff that Disney has largely left behind.

Disney animation is by far the best. Most of the other studios try to cram their animated films with zany randomness that they figure appeals to 7 year olds with 5 min attention spans, while sprinkling in a few jokes for their parents to laugh at. The Disney films are mostly watchable by everyone without resulting to that nearly as often.
WAG might not be making as much money as the pillars of animation, but they've got 2 Lego classics, a great original movie, and a whole lotta potential.

A24 is great. As an indie-movie fan of the 80s and 90s, it's great to see them bring back the spirit of that decade, before everything became Weinsteined or Little Miss Sunshined.

(I actually like those types of movies too-- but the indie scene had become very formulaic and not very indie.)

I have zero interest in Homecoming. Thor:Ragnarok and Black Panther though... Gimme some of that!

Yea... this.

Spider-Man used to be my favorite comic character and he is now relegated to top ~10-15... everything after Spider-Man 2 was a trainwreck.

BumRush

I have zero interest in Homecoming. Thor:Ragnarok and Black Panther though... Gimme some of that!

I'm still going to see Homecoming (probably alone, on a business trip), but my wife has no interest in it. Thor and BP are different stories.

As somebody who goes to see a lot of animated movies with my kids, the biggest problem with non-Disney stuff is milking. Ice Age and Despicable Me were genuinely great original movies, and the sequels all suck. Disney/Pixar generally takes more care with a sequel (although Pixar's track record is not what it used to be).

Bizazedo

Feels like there hasn't been anything truly incredible, for me at least, in awhile.

Even though it released April 28th, my favorite movie so far this "summer" has been Sleight....And even that I didn't think was 10/10 amazeballs or anything.

I wonder if it's me.

kswiston

WAG might not be making as much money as the pillars of animation, but they've got 2 Lego classics, a great original movie, and a whole lotta potential.

If you are talking about Storks, I wasn't a fan. It's in the same pile as Secret Life of Pets and The Boss Baby for me. Not terrible, but not something I particularly want to see again.

LEGO Batman was fun, but mostly for all the pop culture and Batman references. My young daughter disliked it, and its terrible performance overseas sort of highlighted how important it was that you got all of those references. I haven't seen the original LEGO movie.

This Wonder Woman run is crazy satisfying after hearing for years that "no one cares about Wonder Woman, lol".

Seeing angry DC fans/randoms trying to say Wonder Woman is only succeeding because of SJWs and paid off reviewers is absolute bliss for me. Even better when you ask why reviewers weren't paid off for MoS or BvS.

Also, necessary avatar quote
image.php

If you are talking about Storks, I wasn't a fan. It's in the same pile as Secret Life of Pets and The Boss Baby for me. Not terrible, but not something I particularly want to see again.

LEGO Batman was fun, but mostly for all the pop culture and Batman references. My young daughter disliked it, and its terrible performance overseas sort of highlighted how important it was that you got all of those references. I haven't seen the original LEGO movie.

I loved LEGO Bats and so did my daughters, but I agree fully with the others.

Moana has been the only decent kids movie in a long time.

There are DC fans that arent glad of WW success?

Maybe you mean Snyder fanboys.

Yea it is, really. Folks on /film and deadline and other stuff - most posts are along the lines of "WW is only getting good reviews cause of SJWs and reviewers being scared of backlash... MoS and BvS are obviously superior"

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wonder Woman's third act did not kill the movie's word of mouth. Y'all are painting some revisionist history. The movie was instant praise from the get-go. It was too big to fail. A measly divisive third act wasn't gonna stop the hype train.
Ok, for the record I was being sarcastic about the 3rd act almost killing WWs WoM. I feel better now that I got that out. lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I feel like Fast Furious well hit past the point that most of these other franchising that are bombing hit.

Rather, their moves earlier to diversify the cast positioned themselves well ahead of the game for the booming International Market. Alongside not really being a franchise tied to toys, rides, attractions, etc. It's simply just a movie series.

Also helps that the continuity between the flicks is pretty good too, due to having the same writer since 3. He did manage to build up the change pretty nice, from basically a street racer to the super hero bit we have going now.

I agree with all of this, but I think they need to add onto their cast again.

Ramsey and Owen just don't work as well as characters that they have lost. Deckard is a good addition..

but I think (this is not a joke) unkilling Han in 9 might be the best move.

Ross61

Aww man I loved Storks. One of the funniest movies last year. Can't wait for Smallfoot. Plus they Lego Movie 2, Bone, Adventure Time, Meet The Beatles. And shit's gonna get real when they start their Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe.

Glass Rebel

It's no surprise that Snyder's films would attract misogynists.

edit: to clarify before peeps jump down my throat, many of his movies have walked this weird line between criticizing and glorifying hyper-masculinity that it's no surprise that insecure idiots would miss the former and focus on the latter.

kswiston

Cars 3 predictably drops to #3 with around $24M over the weekend.

Wonder Woman also drops for the first time. $24.9M.

Transformers 5 will be closer to $44.5M in the actuals.

Seeing angry DC fans/randoms trying to say Wonder Woman is only succeeding because of SJWs and paid off reviewers is absolute bliss for me. Even better when you ask why reviewers weren't paid off for MoS or BvS.

Why the hell aren't DC fans just happy that a DC movie is unambiguously good?

I liked MoS and I didn't hate BvS, and I am a DC fan.

Moana has been the only decent kids movie in a long time.

Not really true. In fact, apart from the music, I thought it was rather so-so. Zootopia and Kubo are both better. And Trolls and Boss Baby are far better than their reputations suggest. Trolls is weighed down by the whole cinderella plot, but Boss baby is actually decent.

Zootopia > Kubo > Moana > Boss Baby > Sing > Trolls

But all are "decent" enough that I didn't regret seeing them.

Secret Life of Pets, BFG, Angry Birds-- those are the movies that were a waste of time. Although BFG looks amazing, at least.

Schlorgan

Why not just "correct"? Because they are interspersed with other movies?

1 was complete ass, 2 was OK and 3 was incredible.
I don't think they were ever billed as a trilogy and there aren't really any connections between them besides them starring Wolverine. But I think it counts.

Wolverine one works, Logan is a real stunner and I didn't mind The Wolverine. I'm just glad they trusted the director enough after seeing The Wolverine did ok, and it paid off

Civil War isn't better than Winter Soldier

NastyBook

Should've brought Frank Welker in at the ground floor. Thinking he wasn't iconic enough to voice Megatron alongside Cullen/Prime was my biggest issue. Now they get him after Weaving poo poos the role, but nobody cares anymore.

Sorry this happened to you, Frank.

Toa TAK

Banned
I actually really liked Weaving in the role. I don't miss him, but he did good considering the dude didn't give a fuck about the role and was going through the motions.

Despite the voice change and all, I'm really glad they brought back Welker for these last two. He was doing Megatron's voice in the movie tie-in games, if I remember correctly.

The fact Marvel are already saying Spider-Man 2 will be the CW of the ones after Infinity War feels weird. Do they mean stakes, amount of characters, being more of a event?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The fact Marvel are already saying Spider-Man 2 will be the CW of the ones after Infinity War feels weird. Do they mean stakes, amount of characters, being more of a event?

thats not what i got out of that at all. i read it as:

cw changed spidey, and we see that change in homecoming

iw changes spidey, and we will see those changes in homecoming 3

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

yeah definitely Snyder fanboys and not DC

you can tell by how they shit all over the Nolan films to try to make Snyder's bullshit look better

Bronx-Man

Banned
yeah definitely Snyder fanboys and not DC

you can tell by how they shit all over the Nolan films to try to make Snyder's bullshit look better
I can't imagine what must have happened to someone in their life to make them outright believe that any Zack Snyder movie comes close to any NolanBats movie.

Top Bottom