• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

Well, he's basically the undisputed King of the Box Office. I don't know if that's a cool enough title, though.

Unadjusted All-Time NeoGAF Box-Office Champion (Worldwide)
520+ consecutive weekends at #1

So I finally watched Moonlight yesterday, and while I liked it, I didn't love it. It felt like a well told story about a type of person Hollywood doesn't tell stories about very often, but nothing about it really stood out to me. And as far as the awards talk, I can't remember why I turned off/tuned out La La Land after about 30 mintues, but I did, so it had that beat.

I loved Moonlight, and thought it was way better than La La Land

But my #1 and #2 were The Handmaiden and Green Room, so what do I know.

Speaking of "what do I know," I'm gonna go ahead and put the prediction down instead of hemming and hawing about it like being wrong about a box-office prediction is going to hurt or anything.

IT opens to 65-70mil Opening Weekend.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I did my googles, and first thing that jumped out at me is there are no werewolves involved. And 2 the girl in th second one was in Arrow. Now she is a big blockbuster, when they say Asian Americans have to go to asia to make it big they are not lying

Oh wow, Shado being in Wolf Warrior 2 kind of makes me want to watch it.

So I finally watched Moonlight yesterday, and while I liked it, I didn't love it. It felt like a well told story about a type of person Hollywood doesn't tell stories about very often, but nothing about it really stood out to me. And as far as the awards talk, I can't remember why I turned off/tuned out La La Land after about 30 mintues, but I did, so it had that beat.

Moonlight is my movie of the last-several-years.

It does a lot of subtle interesting camera stuff, the protagonist is complex and original, and the movie goes all sorts of places I never expected it to.

When Chiron is slamming through all those doors on his way to class I was snapped back to my bullied middle-school self in a way that no movie has.

I think the whole thing is remarkable.

I also liked La La Land a lot, but it's fluff. Good fluff.

I loved Moonlight, and thought it was way better than La La Land

But my #1 and #2 were The Handmaiden and Green Room, so what do I know.

Speaking of "what do I know," I'm gonna go ahead and put the prediction down instead of hemming and hawing about it like being wrong about a box-office prediction is going to hurt or anything.

I have IT opening to at least $60 million but can see it going higher as well.

Busty

Banned

I'll see your 65-70m and raise you 80-85m for IT's three day opening.

Just like Wonder Woman when the reviews hit for this the number is going to soar upwards.

The branding it there, the image of the 'killer clown' is pretty iconic and sells itself. Given how weird the box office has been this year (x4 multiplier for WW) I think this could way over perform for a horror film and pull in numbers similar to The Martian or Gravity.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can stretch up to $55 million for It. I can't go beyond that. I think it'll have legs though*

*If the reviews are good. Maybe even if they're not, it's horror.

I'll see your 65-70m and raise you 80-85m for IT's three day opening.

Just like Wonder Woman when the reviews hit for this the number is going to soar upwards.

The Wonder Woman bet paid off, I can't blame you for shoving the chips right back onto the table.

I think 80 is absolutely possible if the buzz is buzzing just right.

But either way - September's records pretty much all fall, guaranteed.

Busty

Banned
The Wonder Woman bet paid off, I can't blame you for shoving the chips right back onto the table.

I think 80 is absolutely possible if the buzz is buzzing just right.

But either way - September's records pretty much all fall, guaranteed.

True. I just think that IT is one of those weird properties that everyone has some working knowledge of despite the fact most people I know misremember it as a film rather than a TV mini series.

kswiston

For a man with over 40 movies based on his works, the records for a Stephen King adaptation are embarrassingly low. 1408 is the only film that opened over $20M (at $20.6M). The Green Mile is the only film that made more than $75M domestic (at $137M).

Oh yeah, it hadn't even occurred to me this is also guaranteed to be the most profitable Stephen King movie ever made, as well.

It'll probably be easily his most critically acclaimed HORROR adaptation, too.

Side note: That letterboxing thread is like this angry HANGNAIL hanging off the side of the front page.

Stephen King movies, for the longest time, were low-budget schlock. It's not like hsi movies were huge budget tentpoles.

Some of that's due to the very nature of horror movies, and others due to the nature of his writing (people-based drama).

GhaleonEB

The branding/name recognition is definitely going to work in its favor.

Yeah, IT is going to break out big time. So many know the source material, and they're going to haul their friends/family with them.

Random anecdote: I saw Annabelle: Creation last night (not recommended). The teaser trailer for IT played before it (not the new trailer). It got applause from 4, maybe 5 people in the audience of 20.

It's been....a long time since I heard anyone clap at a trailer. Can't remember the last one, actually. I got the sense it was giggly excitement spilling over.

berzeli

Banned
I wonder if/how a wildly successful It will affect mother!

My uncertainty about mother! used to stem from their unusual marketing (or rather the lack of such), now with a traditional trailer out It seems like the bigger factor in mother!'s fate.
Side note: That letterboxing thread is like this angry HANGNAIL hanging off the side of the front page.
It's probably going to give me an aneurysm. I don't want to have to start making charts (since I can't find of the one I was thinking of) in order to explain why those black bars on your TV are there by design.

It's probably going to give me an aneurysm. I don't want to have to start making charts (since I can't find of the one I was thinking of) in order to explain why those black bars on your TV are there by design.

It won't work. People will still be going, "muh pixels!" Ugh. That thread is making me physically ill much of the time, but I can't help but go back to it.

Saw Inconvenient Sequel yesterday. I had to nudge my mom's shoulder because she was starting to snore with 25 minutes to go. Some of the nature shots were very beautiful but overall I felt like it meandered around without much focus. And then it ends with a note saying the US left the Paris agreement.

So it's basically 2 hours of waiting for the rug to be pulled out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Years ago, I used to use the zoom function because I wanted the entire screen filled.

I shudder thinking about those times.

You're not living unless you're watching everything in full screen and at 2x speed. Y'all are in 2017, I'm in 3017.

Only time I use the zoom button is when an old DVD I am watching is improperly flagged and is letterboxed and windowboxed. Think I only have one or two of those left, and they are old Hong Kong martial arts films.

kswiston

The only times that I ever notice black bars are during the first 2 seconds of a film, or in films where they switch aspect ratios between scenes. The Dark Knight is an example that comes to mind.

It's a bummer that Nolan is one of the only directors that gets his IMAX aspect ratios for the blu-ray release. And even those aren't the full frame IMAX scenes either.

The main aspect ratio switches I remember:

Tron Legacy when they enter The Grid
Dark Knight Rises when the door closes before Bane beats Batman's ass for being a loser

Bookoo

Yeah, IT is going to break out big time. So many know the source material, and they're going to haul their friends/family with them.

Random anecdote: I saw Annabelle: Creation last night (not recommended). The teaser trailer for IT played before it (not the new trailer). It got applause from 4, maybe 5 people in the audience of 20.

It's been....a long time since I heard anyone clap at a trailer. Can't remember the last one, actually. I got the sense it was giggly excitement spilling over.

I saw Annabelle last night and I was actually more excited to see the 4 minute preview of IT than the movie itself. I ended up listening to the book a few weeks ago and now can't wait for the movie.

Annabelle was pretty good

Dark Knight Rises when the door closes before Bane beats Batman's ass for being a loser

Batman deserved to get his ass kicked in that film. Going in there after 8 years sulking like a loser and not training. Meanwhile, Bane was going all Clubber Lang on his punk ass for getting soft.

Tron Legacy and one version of Star Trek into Darkness did the aspect switching.

I'm talking movies worth buying on blu-ray!

What's weird is sometimes HBO and other versions get IMAX scenes in 16:9 that were left off the blu-rays. I always assumed they were from the same source.

iirc Avengers 3&4 are entirely shot with digital IMAX cameras. It'll be interesting to see if the home releases are entirely 16:9.

I'm talking movies worth buying on blu-ray!

What's weird is sometimes HBO and other versions get IMAX scenes in 16:9 that were left off the blu-rays. I always assumed they were from the same source.

Like or hate the film, Tron Legacy is actually a great show off for blu ray. Fantastic picture and sound quality.

tbh he didn't expect to fight him, Catwoman tricked his dumb super-knee brace having ass

He still went out there without training for 8 years. His punk ass deserved to get tricked and then beaten.

The movie with the best aspect ratio is Catching Fire (Hunger Games)

It goes from regular 2.4:1 to 16:9 (4:3 technically since it's filmed in IMAX 70mm) when Katniss enters the arena.

Ghost Protocol hasn't been re-released with 16x9 IMAX scenes. Bit of a bummer since I always thought that was the best use of IMAX next to Dark Knight.

Lima

It's a bummer that Nolan is one of the only directors that gets his IMAX aspect ratios for the blu-ray release. And even those aren't the full frame IMAX scenes either.

I mean no matter what you do you can't replicate full frame IMAX scenes on 16:9 TVs. 4:3 just looks smaller instead of actually opening the screen so the switch to full 1.78:1 works really well for a TV. I like it. It's definitely a good compromise and those scenes are often the highlights of Nolan's Blu-rays picture quality wise.

Slayven

BOBBY

BOBBY GET THE JPEG

*strokes imaginary beard*

Hmmmm

You trying to be the new david lee mcinnis?

David_Lee_Mcinnis.jpg

Clapping for trailers might be the most american thing ever.

The Catching Fire aspect ratio change when she enters the arena was really striking and well done. It was cool to see in imax. too bad the sequels were dog shit.

Predicted Dark Tower sucking, but the week before release I was like “eh, at least it can't be as bad as Dreamcatcher, right?”

Dreamcatcher RT: 30
Dark Tower RT: 18

jesus

DJChuy

Valerian sinking hard.

Still need to watch Apes. Haven't had the time, and there's always another movie I want to catch.

GhaleonEB

The novel of Dreamcatcher was interesting and very clearly written by a drugged up Stephen King (after the car accident). I have no idea why they tried to make it into a movie but like the book, it was this mix of weird ideas that didn't really fit together. They didn't have solid footing to begin with and then made a bad adaptation on top of it.

Falchion

I finally made it to Atomic Blonde this weekend and it was great. Seems like we're in a release lull right now.

Top Bottom