• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I love Rough Night... as a case study.

It has a 2015 Black List script*, it's being written and directed by the people behind one of the most acclaimed comedy TV shows, it has Scar-Jo + star from said acclaimed comedy TV show, it's edited by a dude who worked with Judd Apatow (because of course he did), and it's only going to cost $20 million to make.
It's like listening to Bruce Campell explaining how Congo got made. Only that Congo was profitable.

*(though I'm of the opinion that The Black List is outplayed and was always overrated)

The thing you realize after reading lots of Black List scripts is that while most of them are well-written scripts, many of them won't necessarily make good movies.

border

Where's Rough Night at again?

I feel like Rough Night would have done okay if it had gotten more promotion. And if its central premise wasn't so damned ghoulish. I think the Bridesmaids audience wasn't really looking for a comedy about doing coke all night and disposing of corpses.

Very Bad Things did 9M box office on a 30M budget. So for once the gender-swapped reboot has outperformed the original.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Speaking of dramas that aren't doing well, Detroit's drop is pretty harsh after a lower than expected start last weekend. I can't imagine that anyone involved is thrilled with the numbers they are getting.

Can't imagine why audiences aren't excited to watch Detroit right now.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I feel like Rough Night would have done okay if it had gotten more promotion. And if its central premise wasn't so damned ghoulish. I think the Bridesmaids audience wasn't really looking for a comedy about doing coke all night and disposing of corpses.

Very Bad Things did 9M box office on a 30M budget. So for once the gender-swapped reboot has outperformed the original.

Bobby was right when he said that movie just completely misread the room of 2017.

Also, it didn't help that it was billed as "female Hangover" years after The Hangover got run into the ground.

kswiston

Bobby was right when he said that movie just completely misread the room of 2017.

Also, it didn't help that it was billed as "female Hangover" years after The Hangover got run into the ground.

The trailer was a mess. Drunken, drug-induced manslaughter isn't a feel-good tone to hook a general audience comedy on.

I don't know how the actual film plays out (hopefully they all go to jail), but if it was supposed to be a dark comedy, they sold it poorly.

Promotion costs money though. Looking at the reception, I think what probably happened is that it tested poorly internally, and then the trailer came out to a mixed at best reception, and at that point, you can either try to spend the money on marketing to polish a turd, or just let it go and not chase good money after bad, and Sony picked the second option (which all things considered, was probably the right one).

Shauni

How does Annabelle fare as a stand alone movie? I haven't seen any of the Conjuring movies, but am in the mood for a horror flick.

This is from a few pages back but I don't think anyone answered you. It works fine as a standalone film, you don't need to see any of the previous films. I will say that the ending may seem a little weird, though, because (I'll put in spoiler tags for the super sensitive)
it ties into the first Annabelle movie, it's like a bridge of sorts since Creation is a prequel to that, but it's not that big. It just feels kind of abrupt if you haven't seen the first movie

Lima

The trailer was a mess. Drunken, drug-induced manslaughter isn't a feel-good tone to hook a general audience comedy on.

I don't know how the actual film plays out (hopefully they all go to jail), but if it was supposed to be a dark comedy, they sold it poorly.

There are several scenes from the trailer that are not even in the final movie.

It's also nothing like Hangover and plays in like 1 location most of the time. An expensive beach house. How original.

And no they don't go to jail because they are heroes because the male stripper they accidentally kill was actually a bank robber.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Glass Castle doesn't seem to be doing very well critically or commercially, but then again it's just a relatively cheap indie drama so there probably wasn't really anything expected of it.

Speaking of women who aren't having particularly great years, Naomi Watts though. At least she's got Twin Peaks.

I was really disappointed when the reviews for Glass Castle started coming in. Was really looking forward to that one.

Yeah, Naomi Watts is having a dreadful streak of projects recently. Shut In, The Book of Henry, The Divergent Series, The Sea of Tree, Gypsy. The Book of Henry and Gypsy are the ones that hurt her the most since they generated lots of headlines. Henry cause of Trevorrow's involvement and how ridiculously bad people thought it was, and Gypsy because Netflix doesn't cancel much. Hopefully she can turn Twin Peaks into something...but I don't know, people don't seem to know how to feel about that.

Random Human

Hey, I come to this thread for cool titles not spoilers for Rough Night deep lore.

There are several scenes from the trailer that are not even in the final movie.

It's also nothing like Hangover and plays in like 1 location most of the time. An expensive beach house. How original.

And no they don't go to jail because they are heroes because the male stripper they accidentally kill was actually a bank robber.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

Are you telling me that Rough Night is a remake of Mixed Nuts???

Speaking of dramas that aren't doing well, Detroit's drop is pretty harsh after a lower than expected start last weekend. I can't imagine that anyone involved is thrilled with the numbers they are getting.

Detroit has been getting some questionable word of mouth, at least from what I've been seeing.

kmfdmpig

Now that the rest of the summer is clearer:

Top 10 Domestic Films of Summer 2017 (my best guesses at final grosses)

1) Wonder Woman - $407-412M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $389-390M
3) Spider-Man Homecoming - $320-330M
4) Despicable Me 3 - around $260M
5) Dunkirk - $185-195M (maybe $200M if WB does a re-expansion for Labor Day)
6) Pirates 5 - $172M
7) Cars 3 - $150M (EDIT: More if Disney brings it back for Labor Day)
8) War for the Planet of the Apes - $145-150M (fading hope that it will pass Cars 3)
9) Transformers 5 - $131-132M
10) Girls Trip - $115-125M

Worldwide (not as clean yet. Some of these could be off):

1) Despicable Me 3 - $960M-1B
2) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $862M
3) Spider-Man Homecoming - $835-880M (depends on China)
4) Wolf Warrior 2 - $800M+ (Not sure at the final gross. China is crazy)
5) Wonder Woman - $815-825M (depending on Japan)
6) Pirates 5 - $790M or so
7) Transformers 5 - $600-620M
8) Dunkirk - $475-525M (depends on China)
8) War for the Planet of the Apes - $475-525M (depends on China and South Korea)
10) The Mummy - $410M

I wonder if the writers of all the articles about the "decline or superhero movies" or "superhero movie fatigue" realize just how ridiculous the articles are this year given that the top 3 summer movies in the US are all superhero movies and then the dropoff is pretty significant.

For the year so far 5 of the top 8 domestic results are superhero movies (counting Lego Batman).

4 of the top 8 worldwide were superhero movies.

Thor and Justice League will make the top 10 as well.

Superhero movies seem to be gaining, not declining and if Wonder Woman really signals an upward trend (rather than a one off fluke) for DC's movies then I imagine that they'll be strong for several years to come.

noquarter

Small drop from TS3 I think. The fact that everyone generally loves all 3 Toy Story movies can't really be viewed as a negative. It's certainly not a Cars/Transformers/Pirates situation.
TS3 also is coming out at a point where the kids that saw the original in theater have kids and can take them to see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it does really good. Don't think it will get the nostalgia boost that Jurassic World got, but think that will help it out.

Unless they fuck it up.

Slayven

I was in love with Michael Crichton as a teen and read many of his books. And learned Jurassic Park was the exception not the rule. How many of you crumb snatchers saw Timeline? Thank the deities you didn't

Peter Parker is one of the few average height heroes. They all seem to be over 6 feet or Danny DeVito tier.

You shitting on Puck?

You were saying it would be lucky to clear $30 mil a couple weeks ago though, right?

I think you might be lowballing it, is all. I dont' think people are overestimating it. I think WB said they're putting the floor at 50mil? Maybe I read that wrong.
No. Yoy are mixing my Bladerunner estimate with IT. I already said IT should have np trouble clearing 55 million OW but, it won't have legs and will be frontloaded unless the WOM wround it explodes. Basically I see slim chance of 150 million but it will easily pass 100 million and should settle under 150 million.

Again, I don't expect it to have WOM to carry it weeks after weeks if it opens way higher in the 70-80 million range. I don't think 200 million is possible for a horror movie now unless it is an 'event' film.

kswiston

Danny DeVito is the name of the tier, not a judgement of the people in it!

But now I am puzzling over who could be cast as Puck if Fox ever runs out of X-Men side characters to ruin and moves onto Alpha Flight.

Slayven

Danny DeVito is the name of the tier, not a judgement of the people in it!

But now I am puzzling over who could be cast as Puck if Fox ever runs out of X-Men side characters to ruin and moves onto Alpha Flight.

Puck is only short because he is possessed by a demon, think about that. The demon could curse him with eternal pain, impotence, etc. But he chooses shortness. That is some petty shit

kswiston

If i was a demon, why would I haunt Canada? That means you were late for when they were handing out assignments.

Reading a wiki entry, it looks like the demon was once a Persian sorcerer who was trapped in a sword called the Black Blade of Baghdad. Puck took it 100 years ago, back when white people were allowed to waltz into Eastern countries and steal their shit under the guise of being "explorers".

Slayven

Reading a wiki entry, it looks like the demon was once a Persian sorcerer who was trapped in a sword called the Black Blade of Baghdad. Puck took it 100 years ago, back when white people were allowed to waltz into Eastern countries and steal their shit under the guise of being "explorers".

Yeah Reed Richards did something similar.

a69d9ec235019a3abf42d4b004112769--the-fantastic-for-sale.jpg

So Wolf Warrior 1 is on Netflix and I'm watching it now

It's just a basic ass direct to video action movie, to the point that Scott Adkins is in the damn film

Slayven

Haha. That got me thinking about evil versions of Reed Richards, which got me thinking that someone should make a TV series out of Planetary. I don't know that a film would do the series justice.

Back when Wizard magazine was a thing Planetary and Fables was always being rumored to get a tv show.

Slayven

So Wolf Warrior 1 is on Netflix and I'm watching it now

It's just a basic ass direct to video action movie, to the point that Scott Adkins is in the damn film

I did my googles, and first thing that jumped out at me is there are no werewolves involved. And 2 the girl in th second one was in Arrow. Now she is a big blockbuster, when they say Asian Americans have to go to asia to make it big they are not lying

GhaleonEB

Couple things.

Annabelle Creation sucked ass and I didn't even get to see the IT preview, just the first teaser trailer. Boo!

I asked an admin to yank xaosslug's tag and they graciously did so. I don't know the origin of it but it didn't seem relevant or warranted any longer. (Chalk up another one to the Bobby was right tally.) Hope you were't too attached to it, xao.

His thread titles are a feature, not a bug and the threads would go a lot better if we could just stop complaining about them every week. I mean, sure, comment on them but this week too large a proportion of the discussion was about the thread title vs. the content. I tweaked the title on my way out the door earlier in an effort to stymie that since it was proving a distraction, but I didn't have enough time to post about it (which kinda backfired). But going forward let's not go all in on thread titles, okay?

I'm squarely on #teamxaosslug and hope he sticks around making them.

BOBBY

BOBBY GET THE JPEG

I did my googles, and first thing that jumped out at me is there are no werewolves involved. And 2 the girl in th second one was in Arrow. Now she is a big blockbuster, when they say Asian Americans have to go to asia to make it big they are not lying

*strokes imaginary beard*

Hmmmm

kswiston

Wait, was that Shadow? I thought she looked familiar.

Annabelle's RT score is close to high i'd rank it. I didn't think it was very good.

If you're not discerning maybe you'll like it. By the 3rd act, they'd unsold me.

Two villainous Persian X-men (yeah, actually Alpha Flight but whatever) characters I can think of now. Puck demon guy and that Horseman of Apocalypse from Remender's X-Force.

When we gonna be heroes, Marvel?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wtf is Frank Grillo doing in Wolf Warriors lol

The Russo Bros did some consulting on Wolf Warrior 2, I wonder if they threw his name in a hat. Playing the American in foreign action movies seems about right for his career trajectory 😛

Couple things.

Annabelle Creation sucked ass and I didn't even get to see the IT preview, just the first teaser trailer. Boo!

I asked an admin to yank xaosslug's tag and they graciously did so. I don't know the origin of it but it didn't seem relevant or warranted any longer. (Chalk up another one to the Bobby was right tally.) Hope you were't too attached to it, xao.

His thread titles are a feature, not a bug and the threads would go a lot better if we could just stop complaining about them every week. I mean, sure, comment on them but this week too large a proportion of the discussion was about the thread title vs. the content. I tweaked the title on my way out the door earlier in an effort to stymie that since it was proving a distraction, but I didn't have enough time to post about it (which kinda backfired). But going forward let's not go all in on thread titles, okay?

I'm squarely on #teamxaosslug and hope he sticks around making them.

I'd like to back someone's earlier statement that he should get a new tag as befits him. Not joking. He's been doing this for years and it gives everyone a place to discuss the BO. Provided the tag is kind, I think it'd be a great thing to do.

If the tag is a pun, even better.

Top Bottom