• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

I say with no reservations that IT has the most hype, online and off, of any horror film I can recall. Barring apocalyptic bad reviews, I will be shocked if it opens with less than $70M

kswiston

but...the streak...

If Dunkirk hits $500M, Nolan becomes the first director in history to have 5 films in a row over $500M worldwide.

Here are a list of the directors who managed 4 films in a row over that mark:

George Lucas (Star Wars + Prequel Trilogy)
Peter Jackson (LOTR trilogy + King Kong)
David Yates (Harry Potter 5-8)
Pierre Coffin (Director of Minions, Co-director of all the Despicable Me films)

Coffin is the only other director with an active run going on. The Russos will join the club in 2019, assuming they don't sneak a smaller film out between the next two Avengers movies.

ww chart added

aside: it all started as me just wanting to "contribute" to the forum in some meagre way and seeing an empty spot to fill. I can understand and see that Box Office GAF is sooooooo much bigger than just me. I'm glad peeps have a place to chill and chat. I'm sorry about the bad thread title(s). This one in particular was probably too vulgar. I apologize.

i can/will keep making the threads unless (i get banned or die or something, LOL) peeps object. It's all good.

<3 y'all! :)

Good to hear!

From my pitch hitter experience, making the thread takes 30-60 minutes. Grabbing all the info off of RT and Metacritic is pretty tedious, even if you have some shortcuts worked out. That's a sizable chunk of your Sunday to be donating to GAF 50+ times a year.

Yeah, making threads like these are a lot of work. Even using a basic formula for he op like these do still means a lot of work.

Xaos is doing great work.

bratpack

what's going on with apes why didn't it have more of an impact I have not seen it yet but it got killer reviews and has a great set of movies behind it how come it didn't do better?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Your streak had to end, huh.

That's not a prediction, I said it's a target.

Second,
umad.png

On top of a long history behind the brand, Spiderman had the momentum and push of the MCU this iteration. Was expecting that it to be a bigger hit than it already is.

Your comment though didn't make much sense. It seemed to imply that Spidey should be a much bigger film than Pirates when there is no former context to that.

On film Pirates is a bigger grossing franchise on average than Spidey is. It has 2 films over 1 billion, Spidey has 0

kswiston

Not just the title but Xaos' tag is gone too. Gone but not forgotten.
Never managed to figure out his tag so I dunno.

Shane Kim ran Microsoft Gaming Studios at one point I believe. No doubt it came out of the 360 v PS3 system wars stuff that was the status quo here for the first few years post-Gaming Age split.

GAF on a whole has become a bit less juvenile since the mid-00s though. Mean spirited and raunchy tags used to be more commonplace than they are now. You can still get tagged for being a dumb ass, but fewer of them read like they came out of a Jay and Silent Bob film.

what's going on with apes why didn't it have more of an impact I have not seen it yet but it got killer reviews and has a great set of movies behind it how come it didn't do better?
This has been brought up a lot in the past threads.

The marketing made it seem like an all out War movie while the actual movie is nowhere close to that (keep in mind I haven't personally seen it but just read the impressions). There are also complaints about the lackluster second half which drags down the whole movie. Overall for some people, it wasn't as good as Dawn even Rises so you can consider it a divisive movie.

Bad WOM and disappointing reactions to the movie from even the die-hard fans can be blamed for the lackluster box office for it.

Your comment though didn't make much sense. It seemed to imply that Spidey should be a much bigger film than Pirates when there is no former context to that.

On film Pirates is a bigger grossing franchise on average than Spidey is. It has 2 films over 1 billion, Spidey has 0

the MCU was the context. thought that was obvious since its been the biggest story behind this iteration of the film franchise and one i expected to help it finally get it its 1Bil

xaosslug

Not just the title but Xaos' tag is gone too. Gone but not forgotten.
Never managed to figure out his tag so I dunno.

it came from a MS thread where Shane Kim said something about first to 10m wins the generation, I think?

i commented that every pearl of pre-cum MS thinks is a climax. And a mod clocked me on that one.
NJCS0IV.gif

the MCU was the context. thought that was obvious since its been the biggest story behind this iteration of the film franchise and one i expected to help it finally get it its 1Bil

I guess but a billion never seemed likely just like it didn't for Guardians 2. People just keep forgetting exchange rates aren't what they were a few years back. To a hit a billion right now the movie had to seriously break out in a huge way

Spidey is gonna do under what I thought, I went with $900 but it's plenty successful

Shane Kim ran Microsoft Gaming Studios at one point I believe. No doubt it came out of the 360 v PS3 system wars stuff that was the status quo here for the first few years post-Gaming Age split.

GAF on a whole has become a bit less juvenile since the mid-00s though. Mean spirited and raunchy tags used to be more commonplace than they are now. You can still get tagged for being a dumb ass, but fewer of them read like they came out of a Jay and Silent Bob film.

it came from a MS thread where Shane Kim said something about first to 10m wins the generation, I think?

i commented that every pearl of pre-cum MS thinks is a climax. And a mod clocked me on that one.
NJCS0IV.gif
Thanks for the explanation guys.

I still believe that the bad WOM from the past two Amazing Spider-Man films coupled with this being a reboot so soon after the previous movies did a bit of damage at the box office, but it still held well and has grossed more than $300 million which is a victory for the movie as far as I am concerned.

Spider-Man Homecoming 2 will be the real test though. We will find out just how much people like this new Spider-Man by then.

Where do you see the movie ending up? DOM and WW?
I've been adamant about an $80M opening for awhile, and I'll stick with that. DOM total is a lot trickier, but if the movie is as good as I think it is, then it will lear $200M. Horror films often have horrible legs, but the good ones hold on really well, see Signs, The Ring, Conjuring, Split, Get Out, etc.

Also working in the movie's favor in terms of word of mouth is *BOOK SPOILERS*
if it follows the novel to a tee (which I believe it will) all the main characters will live and the ending won't be downbeat.

I've been adamant about an $80M opening for awhile, and I'll stick with that. DOM total is a lot trickier, but if the movie is as good as I think it is, then it will lear $200M. Horror films often have horrible legs, but the good ones hold on really well, see Signs, The Ring, Conjuring, Split, Get Out, etc.

if it follows the novel to a tee (which I believe it will) all the main characters will live and the ending won't be downbeat.

Isn't It supposed to just be the first half of the book?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Spider-Man Homecoming 2 will be the real test though. We will find out just how much people like this new Spider-Man by then.

SMH 2 comes out 2 weeks after Toy Story 4 and 2 weeks before The Lion King. I'm typically of the opinion that big movies can coexist at the box office but Sony really needs to move that date.

I still think Signs did well because it was released after the blockbuster success of The Sixth Sense. That movie had crazy legs and the end twist was perhaps one the most talked about thing during those years.

While good films can have good legs, there is always a ceiling for a genre. The Sixth Sense was a cultural phenomenon but IT won't have the same impact. $200 million gross is a lot for a horror movie. $150 million seems like with $80 million opening but like you said, horror movies are front-loaded and there are plenty of people who prefer to watch these type of movies at home instead of a theater. There are many examples of movies which became a hit in the home cinema while they flopped at theater.

There is no horror movie with such huge opening so you have films like Get Out and Split with low opening which had good WOM leading to more people coming out to see them in theaters leading to good legs for them. $80 million opening will cover majority of the horror fans and I don't think many people will keep seeing it back in cinema.

An example here is the Friday The 13th Reboot which opened great but tanked shortly afterwards.

kswiston

SMH 2 comes out 2 weeks after Toy Story 4 and 2 weeks before The Lion King. I'm typically of the opinion that big movies can coexist at the box office but Sony really needs to move that date.

Disney: Thanks for the Spider-Man partnership. Now take $800M-1B in competition to close it out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Summer 2019 box office champ is going to be interesting, Episode IX vs Lion King. I won't even pretend like Avengers 4 is going to compete with those two.

kswiston

I think that Toy Story 4 will take a domestic tumble from TS3. 3 was a perfect ending.

However, we all know that Toy Story 4 is there to sell toys. The film is a $200M commercial that we will pay for the priviledge of seeing. Toy Story 3 did close to $3B in merch within the first year or so.

I think that Toy Story 4 will take a domestic tumble from TS3. 3 was a perfect ending.

However, we all know that Toy Story 4 is there to sell toys. The film is a $200M commercial that we will pay for the priviledge of seeing. Toy Story 3 did close to $3B in merch within the first year or so.

Hell, even KH3 has a Toy Story world.

JohnDrake

This Conjuring Universe is moving full steam ahead. There is a lot of goodwill in it even with the first Annabelle being poorly received.

The two Conjuring movies plus this new Annabelle have done a good job and with The Nun, The Crooked Man and The Conjuring 3 still coming, WB must be felling good about it.

Top Bottom