• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

Miles X

It comes out December 20th. You can tell the movie has been done for months and Sony doesn't know when to properly release it.

Jumanji, Flatliners, Friend Request and mother! should have been scattered throughout August. They were/will be lost in the bigger films.

Elandyll

Banned
December might actually work well for Jumanji.
Aye.

Trailer was great too imo, and the movie could do very well during the Holidays.

Flatliners otoh... I have no idea what they were thinking.
I get they wanted something "spooky", "around" Halloween (still a month away), but that movie was never a "franchise" and only rellies on youndg and coming stars like Roberts, Bacon and Sutherland to do well.

That genre can make bank, specially around Halloween, but generally with new concepts/ and/ or hard R and keeping budgets very low.

December might actually work well for Jumanji.

It probably will since late December is when families go to the movies.

Now that I think about it, releasing your movie close to Star Wars is pretty smart. A new Star Wars motivates people to go to the movies. Sure they'll mostly see Star Wars but you have a better chance of a family seeing your movie then other months when nothing exciting is happening.

Evolution was the one whose climax involved a giant floating butthole right?

It was not a good movie.

Reitman stranded Orlando Jones iirc. Just left him out there with Sean William Scott to flail limply like "someone please laugh at me"

It deserved its failure.

Jawmuncher

Spiritual reboot of GHostbusters

51QPMVXYJGL.jpg

I am sure Bobby Roberts has words about it

Jesus I forgot all about this. I remember the Ghostbusters angle being played up hard.

I want to ask why Mother cost almost as much to make as American Assassin and It but the less I know the better. For now, I'll assume it's actor paychecks.

Lima

I want to ask why Mother cost almost as much to make as American Assassin and It but the less I know the better. For now, I'll assume it's actor paychecks.

I‘m sure it was the baby being eaten budget that exploded

God that movie was nightmare inducing. 😱

Slayven

Evolution was the one whose climax involved a giant floating butthole right?

It was not a good movie.

Reitman stranded Orlando Jones iirc. Just left him out there with Sean William Scott to flail limply like "someone please laugh at me"

It deserved its failure.
You a cold man Bobby Roberts, i might reconsider our partnership
Valerian getting a 4K UHD release Nov. 21st, I know you're all excited about this news.
It look like it would be great demo ware for tvs. Like Battleship
If I had a 4K TV I probably would buy it just for the visuals.
I thought you were balling?

berzeli

Banned
Deadline has opinions:
September will be good:
the month of September will come close to hitting $700M in the next 10 days, easily an all-time high for the first month of autumn.

To date, per ComScore, September is running 17% ahead of the same 18-day period last year, and will easily eclipse 2015’s record $616.4M for the month (when Sony’s Hotel Transylvania 2 led all titles).

Another September coup this weekend according to ComScore: For the first time ever in the month’s history, the top three films will make over $25M each.
They think Kingsmen will do good:
Kingsman: The Golden Circle from director Matthew Vaughn, is looking at a three-day comfortably in the high $40M range, possibly $50M at 4,000-plus sites with help from premium large format and Imax screens.
And they aren't really sure how Ninjago will do:
Lego Ninjago will easily be behind with anywhere from $31M-$44M per a variety of tracking services; however, the best bet is that the third WB animated Lego pic will arrive in the high $30Ms on 4,000 sites.

I think they are a touch optimistic on Kingsmen.

Miles X

It's second tuesday $5.3m, around the same drop WOW yesterday had.

So it should go into this weekend around $235m and hopefully a $30m weekend.

I think it'll clear $300m easily but don't understand these $350m predictions.

Also, South Korea HATES clowns. IT will end there around $5.3m, Annabelle grossed $13.6m.

AndyVirus

Homecoming passed GotG2 yesterday to become #5 worldwide of 2017 (for now). Will just pass Wolf Warrior 2 too I think.

EDIT: I'm guessing Wonder Woman passing Spider-Man 1 globally won't happen? Needs to stay in theaters another 4 weeks with no drops.

Miles X

Homecoming passed GotG2 yesterday to become #5 worldwide of 2017 (for now). Will just pass Wolf Warrior 2 too I think.

EDIT: I'm guessing Wonder Woman passing Spider-Man 1 globally won't happen? Needs to stay in theaters another 4 weeks with no drops.

WW might be able to gross a little more from Japan. $730k last weekend on a 50% drop.

Only dropped 20% over last Tuesday as well, domestically.

Miles X

Oh wow, maybe it could do it then. Didn't realise anywhere had a 6 figure weekend bar NA.

I say last weekend, I meant the one before. Figures not released for weekend just gone, so perhaps they're not factored into that WW total?

I don't know if it's a record WB much care about, but they could easily overtake with a reissue down the line, before WW2 perhaps. It's gonna be awfully close after all.

kswiston

IT's first Monday and Tuesday were probably inflated a bit. I expect the Week on Week drops to be under 50% by Thursday. I'm also going to guess that this weekend will be $32-34M. Anything over $30M would be good.

Miles X

IT's first Monday and Tuesday were probably inflated a bit. I expect the Week on Week drops to be under 50% by Thursday. I'm also going to guess that this weekend will be $32-34M. Anything over $30M would be good.

Because of the football and the Hurricanes? I hope you're right. I think the low % weekend drops show hope anyhow.

Talking of WW, I think IT will just miss the top 10 :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Random thought, I wonder if Super 8 would've been bigger had it released in 2017.
It's not nearly as good as the recent 80s nostalgia stuff. Also you'd lose half of the reason to see the thing without Ellen Fanning acting her ass off.

It's not nearly as good as the recent 80s nostalgia stuff. Also you'd lose half of the reason to see the thing without Ellen Fanning acting her ass off.

And you would have several more years of lens flare non jokes embedded into the collective consciousness to just dismiss the film immediately.

Folks just straight up halving their original bets on Lego Batman for Ninjago.

Random thought, I wonder if Super 8 would've been bigger had it released in 2017.

I thought Super 8 did well for what it was, kid actors in a sci fi adventure? Are we imagining a Stranger Things cult following + IT multipliers today?

I thought Super 8 did well for what it was, kid actors in a sci fi adventure? Are we imagining a Stranger Things cult following + IT multipliers today?

It's just a thought. Audiences seem primed for that type of story.

Also makes me think X-Men Apocalypse and potentially Dark Phoenix could've captured some of that milieu. Ostensibly Apocalypse was about a group of teens in the '80s coming together to fight an ancient evil (for the brief moments it focused on the teens).

Speaking of which, this description of the X-Men spin-off New Mutants is sure interesting.

http://variety.com/2017/film/features/stacey-snider-21st-century-fox-first-year-1202563799/ said:
Great effort has been put into making sure they’re differentiated. “New Mutants” is about these teenagers who are just coming into their powers. It’s like watching mutants go through adolescence and they have no impulse control, so they’re dangerous. The only solution is to put them in a “Breakfast Club” detention/“Cuckoo’s Nest” institutional setting. It protects the people on the outside, but it’s strange and combustible inside. The genre is like a haunted-house movie with a bunch of hormonal teenagers. We haven’t seen it as a superhero movie whose genre is more like “The Shining” than “we’re teenagers let’s save the world.”

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
New Mutants has me very intrigued. These smaller, more unique X films seems to be going over well with audiences, so I hope it keeps the streak going.

Apocalypse probably could've tapped into that 80s coming of age nostalgia if it was more focused. They have the parts with the intro of Scott, Jean, and Nightcrawler. But then you add in the Magento subplot and it brings the whole thing down.

Elle Fanning legit restored my faith in child actors.

Fox has shown some evidence that they can scout that level of talent in Dafne Keen.

Let's hope they're willing to go the extra mile with an entire cast of young actors.

Probably opening around $30m I would say. $35m tops this weekend.
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting.
Also makes me think X-Men Apocalypse and potentially Dark Phoenix could've captured some of that milieu. Ostensibly Apocalypse was about a group of teens in the '80s coming together to fight an ancient evil (for the brief moments it focused on the teens).

Speaking of which, this description of the X-Men spin-off New Mutants is sure interesting.
I still find it unbelievable that the main X-Men movies never really went in on the teen focus. I was watching a video (this one) where these two X comics fans talk about fixing the mainline movies and one thing they brought up was having a POV character be a teenage girl. Combine that with their second point of making it a big budget soap opera and... boom, you got superpowered teen drama.

Peele debunked that Akira rumor within a couple days of it getting floated, if I remember right.

I'm still curious as to how you even attempt this film without setting it in Japan and using Japanese teenagers.

I mean, I know HOW they could attempt it, it's just that attempt is going to fundamentally fuck up a large part of why AKIRA works like it does.

Like, you guys thought Snyder didn't get Watchmen? Wait til WB ropes someone into adapting AKIRA to take place with 20 something white dudes in NYC
Simple. Make it a sequel.

After the AKIRA incident America has experimented with their own psychic weapon research and they've produced their own psychic teenagers.

Neo New York is about to E X P L O D E

Top Bottom