• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•01-03•16 - Hate flows through BO as TFA eyes all-time DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

The Force Awakens has had good Saturday holds every week. It plays like a family film more than a lot of blockbusters do.

Expected gross for China. At least what I expected last week (I figured $50m).

Estimated weekend for the Revenant is $38m. Star Wars sould beat that by a bit for another first place finish.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Exhibitor Relations ‏@ERCboxoffice
STAR WARS: TFA became the 1st film to top $800M+ domestically as it grossed $41.6M this weekend, $812M total.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS: $921.4M Overseas Total / $1.733411B Global Total #StarWars #TheForceAwakens

jett

D-Member
STAR WARS: TFA became the 1st film to top $800M+ domestically as it grossed $41.6M this weekend, $812M total.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS: $921.4M Overseas Total / $1.733411B Global Total #StarWars #TheForceAwakens

Revenant was so close to getting number one.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice

One billion to go!

munchie64

Yeah...it will.
Nah...it wont.
Ehhh...it might
post-60634-Empire-Strikes-Back-Lando-Calr-fPIp.gif

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $41.6M - $812M total
2) The Revenant - $38.0M - $40M total
3) Daddy's Home - $15.0M - $116M total
4) The Forest - $13.1M
5) Sisters - $7.2M - $74M total
6) The Hateful 8 - $6.4M - $41M total
7) The Big Short - $6.3M - $43M total
8) Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip - $5.5M - $74M total
9) Joy - $4.5M - $47M total
10) Concussion - $3.1M - $31M total

Sunday drop for The Force Awakens seems to be on the optimistic side.

Maybe they're banking on semi-sad moms & dads deciding to take the fam out to the theater for a pick-me-up after losing the Lotto.

That's a what.. 55% drop weekend to weekend? Considering the film had technically never dropped under the 40% mark, that's a bite. But next weekend will be interesting - usually films rebound a little the following weekend. If Star Wars doesn't do that though...

It's possible it could wind up in 3rd next weekend, honestly.

FTF

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $41.6M - $812M total
2) The Revenant - $38.0M - $40M total
3) Daddy's Home - $15.0M - $116M total
4) The Forest - $13.1M
5) Sisters - $7.2M - $74M total
6) The Hateful 8 - $6.4M - $41M total
7) The Big Short - $6.3M - $43M total
8) Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip - $5.5M - $74M total
9) Joy - $4.5M - $47M total
10) Concussion - $3.1M - $31M total

Sunday drop for The Force Awakens seems to be on the optimistic side.

40% Sun drop is doable, it's playing well with families, but playoff football today too.

kswiston

40% Sun drop is doable, it's playing well with families, but playoff football today too.

I don't think it is massively overpredicted or anything, but it's not nearly as conservative as they were last weekend.

I guess Disney was working with a good drop last weekend, so lowballing Sunday didn't really make a difference. It also avoided them claiming the Jan record if TFA ended up missing that mark in the actuals. This weekend, no records are in play.

kswiston

So my projection line last week had TFA at $1715M as of today. Actual total is $18M higher. I lowballed the week by 8%. Not too bad I guess, considering China was a question mark. Overseas weekdays were my biggest miss. Overseas in general seems to be holding better than domestic at this point.

I will post updated graphs in the next thread.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So my projection line last week had TFA at $1715M as of today. Actual total is $18M higher. I lowballed the week by 8%. Not too bad I guess, considering China was a question mark. Overseas weekdays were my biggest miss. Overseas in general seems to be holding better than domestic at this point.

I will post updated graphs in the next thread.
Question regarding this - Why dont we do weekly threads anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom