• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•01-03•16 - Hate flows through BO as TFA eyes all-time DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredibly negative?

Wow. Someone didn't read my comments opening weekend where I said SW7 was good but not great and how much I loved the banter and new character dynamics. Did I have issues with the movie? Yep. Did I hate it? NOPE

But extremely negative? C'mon man...just cause you and I had a little back and forth over Hux's motivations doesn't mean I hated the film.

And since then?

Yes you've been negative (and it wasn't just about Hux), that's not in inherently a bad thing, but that's why your sarcasm is harder to pick up on by some.

kswiston

To be clear I wasn't talking Domestic in my quote, just China. Not downplaying Domestic at all.

I was just speaking in general. Not about you. We've had people seriously argue that domestic doesn't matter in either this thread or the #1 domestic announcement thread.

People aren't used to the worldwide and domestic crown being split I guess. It's been 18 years.

And since then?

Yes you've been negative (and it wasn't just about Hux), that's not in inherently a bad thing, but that's why your sarcasm is harder to pick up on by some.

Receipts.

Critiquing things you didn't like =/= to being negative.

I have lots of movie that I love that I have ripped apart with critiques so yeah, you should really stop.

You want a movie where there is clear, undeniably proof that I was EXTREMELY NEGATIVE towards and hated? Movies you can find all kinds of quotes of me not liking (and never mincing words over it).

Transformers anything, Jurassic World, District 9, the list goes on and on.

On the other hand, I critiqued the shit out of TDKR but for the most part, I liked it.

This whole thread's sarcasm meter is busted, apparently.

Except for mine. Which is fucking flawless.

2216488-screenshot20.jpg

Not

Banned
No one said that, but it's not exactly going to be #1 there or anything. It's opening day was 30 million less than Furious 7.

Ohhh, I see. Stupid Sensationalist Headline Deadline. It's like they're accurately reporting nothing at all... nothing at all... nothing at all

EDIT: ah, the studio record. wow Deadline

kswiston

Posted by Olive over in the Chinese Box Office board at BOT:

Code:
Top Single Day gross in China  (day in release)
#1.Fast &Furious 7--------398.7M----------4.12.2015  (OD)*
#2.Lost in Hong Kong----247.0M----------9.26.2015 (2nd)
#3.The Avengers 2--------238.5M----------5.16.2015  (5th)
#4.Fast &Furious 7--------228.0M----------4.18.2015  (7th)
#5.Lost in Hong Kong----226.5M----------9.27.2015 (3rd)
#6.Mojin------------------226.3M----------12.19.2015(2nd)
#7.Trans4mers-------------223.1M----------6.28.2014  (2nd)
#8.The Avengers 2--------217.2M----------5.12.2015  (OD)*
#9.Trans4mers-------------213.4M----------6.29.2014  (3rd)
10.Star Wars EP7----------210.0M----------1.09.2015  (OD)*
11.Mojin-------------------203.7M----------12.20.2015(3rd)
12.Trans4mers-------------194.8M----------6.27.2014  (OD)*
13.Fast &Furious 7--------187.2M----------4.13.2015  (2nd)
14.Fast &Furious 7--------187.0M----------4.19.2015  (8th)
15.Monster Hunt-----------185.2M----------7.18.2015  (3rd)
16.Monster Hunt-----------179.3M----------7.16.2015  (4th)
17.Monster Hunt-----------172.8M----------7.16.2015  (OD)*
18.The Avengers 2--------170.1M----------5.16.2015  (6th)
19.Jurassic World ---------169.9M----------6.13.2015  (4th)
20.Fast &Furious 7--------167.0M----------4.14.2015  (3rd)

Numbers are local currency. Star Wars' second day won't be in the top 20.

Ohhh, I see. Stupid Sensationalist Headline Deadline. It's like they're accurately reporting nothing at all... nothing at all... nothing at all

EDIT: ah, the studio record. wow Deadline

not even a studio record unless AoU isn't a Disney film.

Posted by Olive over in the Chinese Box Office board at BOT:

Code:
Top Single Day gross in China  (day in release)
#1.Fast &Furious 7--------398.7M----------4.12.2015  (OD)*
#2.Lost in Hong Kong----247.0M----------9.26.2015 (2nd)
#3.The Avengers 2--------238.5M----------5.16.2015  (5th)
#4.Fast &Furious 7--------228.0M----------4.18.2015  (7th)
#5.Lost in Hong Kong----226.5M----------9.27.2015 (3rd)
#6.Mojin--------------------226.3M----------12.19.2015(2nd)
#7.Trans4mers-------------223.1M----------6.28.2014  (2nd)
#8.The Avengers 2--------217.2M----------5.12.2015  (OD)*
#9.Trans4mers-------------213.4M----------6.29.2014  (3rd)
10.Star Wars EP7----------210.0M----------1.09.2015  (OD)*
11.Mojin---------------------203.7M----------12.20.2015(3rd)
12.Trans4mers-------------194.8M----------6.27.2014  (OD)*
13.Fast &Furious 7--------187.2M----------4.13.2015  (2nd)
14.Fast &Furious 7--------187.0M----------4.19.2015  (8th)
15.Monster Hunt-----------185.2M----------7.18.2015  (3rd)
16.Monster Hunt-----------179.3M----------7.16.2015  (4th)
17.Monster Hunt-----------172.8M----------7.16.2015  (OD)*
18.The Avengers 2--------170.1M----------5.16.2015  (6th)
19.Jurassic World ---------169.9M----------6.13.2015  (4th)
20.Fast &Furious 7--------167.0M----------4.14.2015  (3rd)

Star Wars's second day won't be in the top 20.

Ok, I need to YT "Lost In Hong Kong" and "Monster Hunt".

Branduil

You mean that arbitrary currency that's been the dominant global reserve currency for the past 70 years and happens to be currency used by the country where all of the studios are based in?

No one complains when Nintendo reports worldwide revenue in Yen, and based their YoY growth/decline on that currency despite their stuff selling everywhere.

The point is, how can we manipulate numbers to make it so our team wins. You know this is going to happen.

here is what I got brothers

I dont know if this is a true imax cinema that I went to or not, maybe you can look over these and tell me. Either way, it was quite a big room but didn't seem as big as I imagined. So I'm not even sure. No photos of the actual screen, sorry.

one of the only parking lots I have ever seen in the whole city (not kidding) it's worth taking a photo of just like that one fast food drive thru I found one. This ended up being just 7 minute taxi ride from my home though. There are cinemas everywhere and could have went to them. Since I went so late, it was the last showing at 11:40 pm and only had like 70 people on saturday night there. Also made the drive there about 3 times faster at least.

Also saw the game cafe with some nice looking screens.

Pretty basic inside with a lot of advertisements and such. Pimpin the panda pretty hard.

I'll say this, any cinema I have went to the snacks are terrible. If you like candy and such buy it somewhere that you know you can get it before you go. This is the first place I saw that actually had icee machines (apple and orange) eh.... but there's that. I learned all of this the hard way. Typical popcorn for chinese seems to be caramel or maybe chocolate in most of the ones I have seen.

Sorry about the photos, hope others can follow suit with their future viewings of star wars. Would be great to see old gaf return strong (long time lurker) lol

Based Disney marketing, knows their audience well. Finn is so small on that poster. Chinese audiences don't like black main characters, but they love white ones.

they seemed to enjoy him more than anyone else in my audience

while I didnt enjoy him. IMO he is not a good replacement for ford. I don't know how the movies can work without him in a lot of ways :(

Anyone else felt like he was forcing his voice a lot?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It's a bad generalization, there's plenty of chinese people who don't care either way, but I understand why they would think it risky.

It's a bad generalization, there's plenty of chinese people who don't care either way, but I understand why they would think it risky.

I think overall it will hold truth. In the schools I go to the "darker" kids they make fun of by calling them black boy, or black girl. Seemed pretty standard to me to be fair. I don't know or cant say how this would play off to actual african euro/western/americans though. They really dont like to be darker skin tones though. They also often say they want to change skin with me so the white thing is there for sure Id say. But im sickly white so it even makes less sense to me

they want it like this

numble

Based Disney marketing, knows their audience well. Finn is so small on that poster. Chinese audiences don't like black main characters, but they love white ones.

I don't think the generalization really applies. I don't think there is data that indicates that is true. Will Smith and Dwyane Johnson movies usually overperform, for instance.

I don't think the generalization really applies. I don't think there is data that indicates that is true. Will Smith and Dwyane Johnson movies usually overperform, for instance.

There will obviously be people who wont like a movie cause of it. Just how it works but... to say its a lot (probably not) but most the Chinese girls i know really to turn their ideas down toward dating a black man. I have black freinds here and when I jokingly say you can be his girl its always a negative response. I have to say the black thing is pretty true in china from my personal experiences with it all. I don't think its about the actual race of black people, it's more to do with them preferirng white skin is the majority of it. I don't think they would be directly racist to a black man or more afraid. They are plenty afraid of foreigners in general if the situation is right.

I just asked my friend just now about black men she said

her friends would ask (can you handle it) but i think this stigma sticks to all foreigners actually lol. that was funny.

And she ended with "i dont like indian but I prefer black" I always knew she was ok with black though. She is a lot more open than most the other girls I know here. I had them asked me in the past if Id date a black girl. Whatever girl is suitable for me, doesnt matter what she looks like.

numble

There will obviously be people who wont like a movie cause of it. Just how it works but... to say its a lot (probably not) but most the Chinese girls i know really to turn their ideas down toward dating a black man. I have black freinds here and when I jokingly say you can be his girl its always a negative response. I have to say the black thing is pretty true in china from my personal experiences with it all. I don't think its about the actual race of black people, it's more to do with them preferirng white skin is the majority of it. I don't think they would be directly racist to a black man or more afraid. They are plenty afraid of foreigners in general if the situation is right.

I just asked my friend just now about black men she said

her friends would ask (can you handle it) but i think this stigma sticks to all foreigners actually lol. that was funny.

And she ended with "i dont like indian but I prefer black" I always knew she was ok with black though. She is a lot more open than most the other girls I know here. I had them asked me in the past if Id date a black girl. Whatever girl is suitable for me, doesnt matter what she looks like.

I don't think any of the above personal anecdotes apply to willingness to see a foreign movie with a fantastical story.

As other examples with non-white leads, Life of Pi really overperformed in China with its Indian lead (I think it was top 10 in China that year, but not top 10 in the US), and Avatar starred blue cat people.

I just don't see it in the data available, which is admittedly limited since only 30 or so foreign movies can play each year, and very few are minority-led (just think of the top American movies from year to year, and how many are minority-led).

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I don't think any of the above personal anecdotes apply to willingness to see a foreign movie with a fantastical story.

As other examples with non-white leads, Life of Pi really overperformed in China with its Indian lead (I think it was top 10 in China that year, but not top 10 in the US), and Avatar starred blue cat people.

I think Ang Lee made most of that backbone though.

Still, yeah, the whole race thing is a kindasorta generalization.

Exodust

Banned
This China "thinks white skin is more attractive" thing doesn't really matter to a movie's success and earnings, or even if people will watch it or not.

I live in a similar area where that similar idea of "beauty" applies. Never got in the way of a movie's success or word of mouth from what I've seen. You'll see very, very few people outright refuse to watch something like it but there aren't enough to make any sort of dent on a film money wise.

GamerSoul

they seemed to enjoy him more than anyone else in my audience

while I didnt enjoy him. IMO he is not a good replacement for ford. I don't know how the movies can work without him in a lot of ways :(

Anyone else felt like he was forcing his voice a lot?

I didnt know it was the common thought that finn would play more of the Han Solo role. Cool, so im not the only one who made the assumption.

I dunno, because of his past i felt most of his lines were going to feel forced. Imo it lines up with his character.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I didnt know it was the common thought that finn would play more of the Han Solo role. Cool, so im not the only one who made the assumption.

I dunno, because of his past i felt most of his lines were going to feel forced. Imo it lines up with his character.

I thought Finn was the lead character going in and that Rey was going to be the sidekick.

Really happy the opposite turned out to be true and Star Wars finally got it's first strong female lead.

The jacket and such sort of makes it that way in my mind... but with the way they handle rey and chewbacca also makes it seem like they want to set her up in the han role with lke I guess.

I assume they want luke to be as big or bigger part of the next movie like Han was this time around? In my mind fin is the male replacement of ford at least. I hope the female lead can really act a bit more like ford but I don't see that happening. She is much more serious, a bit more like luke at times without that actual personality though. Not overly cocky and a bit of an ass like ford though.

I will say I hated leia's voice in the movie. Just wanted her off the screen....

Abounder

Banned
If the Sony leaks are of any indication, Hollywood producers think the rest of the world is racist, not just China (which is somewhat ironic considering the leaked emails joking about Obama and Django):

Denzel Washington has emerged as the latest target of the Sony Pictures hack, with executives saying he should not get lead roles in international films because he is black.

The Oscar-winning actor was the subject of emails sent shortly after the release of his film The Equalizer, with an unnamed producer telling Sony chairman Michael Lynton that they hoped the shocking comment was not “inappropriate or provocative”.

“I am not saying The Equalizer should not have been made or that African American actors should not have been used (I personally think Denzel Washington is the best actor of his generation),” wrote the producer.

“Casting him is saying we’re okay with a double [baseball term] if the picture works. He’s reliable at the domestic [box office], safe, but has not had a huge success in years.

“I believe whenever possible the non-event pictures, extra ‘bets’, should have a large inherent upside and be made for the right price. Here there isn’t a large inherent upside.”

Despite grossing $191 million in cinemas globally, with just under half of all ticket sales coming from outside the US, the leaked emails argued that overseas takings were not good enough because of Washington’s race.

“I believe that the international motion picture audience is racist – in general pictures with an African American lead don’t play well overseas,” the producer continued.

"But Sony sometimes seems to disregard that a picture must work well internationally to both maximise returns and reduce risk, especially pictures with decent size budgets.”

He or she added that they believe a sequel to The Equalizer would be “a double with a remote chance of a home run”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...seas-because-the-world-is-racist-9932507.html

Other examples might include Creed's domestic take (89%) which will probably finish much higher than Rocky Balboa's (45%).

AniHawk

The jacket and such sort of makes it that way in my mind... but with the way they handle rey and chewbacca also makes it seem like they want to set her up in the han role with lke I guess.

I will say I hated leia's voice in the movie. Just wanted her off the screen....

if any character was close to the han solo type, it was poe. i assume he doesn't get much screentime because there's already han solo. rey is the luke-type of this movie and finn is a new addition that isn't trying to be anything like the old.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
if any character was close to the han solo type, it was poe. i assume he doesn't get much screentime because there's already han solo. rey is the luke-type of this movie and finn is a new addition that isn't trying to be anything like the old.

Poe is a much better character than Han Solo. His sidekick BB-8 is also much better than Chewbacca.

Finn is the Princess Leia of Episode VII, needing to be rescued on multiple occasions.

Exodust

Banned
Poe is a much better character than Han Solo. His sidekick BB-8 is also much better than Chewbacca.

"Much" better? I like the movie too but slow your roll here. Han did a lot more in ANH and this movie individually than Poe has yet. BB-8 is awesome but he's still relatively new and is a droid, comparing him to Chewbacca is strange considering he's a different character with a different level of importance.

I understand preferring them to the old characters but come on.

GamerSoul

I assume they want luke to be as big or bigger part of the next movie like Han was this time around? In my mind fin is the male replacement of ford at least. I hope the female lead can really act a bit more like ford but I don't see that happening. She is much more serious, a bit more like luke at times without that actual personality though. Not overly cocky and a bit of an ass like ford though.

Poe does have some Han-like characteristics but Poe with BB-8 reminds me more of Luke during his flying days between the first 2 movies. Finn is his own man which was awesome to see but i also share the feeling that he might end up more like a more righteous Han or something like that lol.

Saying that, i think the new cast did a great job playing their parts.

I thought the thread was funny about r2 vs bb8, bb8 is honestly like a droid bab where r2 is the adult version.

Also, they couldn't even get bb8 in much of the movie for what reason? R2 and c3po made it to and off the death star :)

Poe is not going to be replacing any han solo though. I do hope for more c3 and r2 in the coming movies.

CassSept

Other examples might include Creed's domestic take (89%) which will probably finish much higher than Rocky Balboa's (45%).

It's hard for Creed to have a better ratio when it's been out in the US for 1.5 months and only opened in few countries overseas so far.

Abounder

Banned
It's hard for Creed to have a better ratio when it's been out in the US for 1.5 months and only opened in few countries overseas so far.

Indeed, I tried to weakly qualify that with 'might' and it will undoubtedly rise. But it looks like Creed doesn't have a release date for China or South Korea, and in Japan it only opened to $361k vs Rocky Balboa's $1.3m (Rocky had a better date though and Japan's numbers are still being updated for Creed).

However casting a black lead like what Creed has done would make its potential international success that much more impressive, especially in emerging markets. It'll definitely do well in western markets especially if Australia and USA/CAN are of any indication. Still, Creed will have to make something like ~$50m more than Rocky Balboa's overseas numbers to rival its split

linsivvi

This China "thinks white skin is more attractive" thing doesn't really matter to a movie's success and earnings, or even if people will watch it or not.

I live in a similar area where that similar idea of "beauty" applies. Never got in the way of a movie's success or word of mouth from what I've seen. You'll see very, very few people outright refuse to watch something like it but there aren't enough to make any sort of dent on a film money wise.

And yet, in that thread about the Star Wars poster in China, people accused China of being racist (yes all 1.3 billion of them) and so they made the black guy in the poster smaller.

Never mind it's a Hollywood studio doing the marketing in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom