• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•01-03•16 - Hate flows through BO as TFA eyes all-time DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Gonna be interesting if Leo's star power can push Revenant to profitability despite that insane budget.

I'll be surprised if it turns a profit during its theatrical run. Will rely on video/streaming/cable/TV and such, but I think with that opening weekend it's on its way to the black.

Agree with both line of thoughts being silly, I don't know or have come across anyone hating on a film for the sole purpose of it being #1 but have come across you.
I don't hate it for being #1. Love the movie in fact. Just pointing out that others do. I've met enough people over the years of working in movie stores and whatnot that will hate something just because it got popular. Shit, I hear enough about it about Game of Thrones now. Random customers saying it was great until so many people started reading it.
It baffles me.

Surfinn

Looks like the final estimate for Saturday dropped slightly to $31.8M (including midnights).

Sunday presales are mediocre so far (For a OD over $200M RMB). I wouldn't bank on extraordinary legs.

The Chinese pre-sale and very early estimates roller-coaster reminds me of the domestic opening. Even people who make decent projections start buying into hype and excitement. Some of the Chinese posters on BOT who are usually pretty good at extrapolating were calling for OD numbers approaching $40M a few hours ago (which would have been around $65M for the weekend as I posted last night).

The weekend estimate will probably a couple million higher than the $50M I predicted last Sunday. $150M is still the target gross in China.

Thanks for the update.

So is this talk of $33 million and records being broken in China going to equate to beating Titanic? Is that even possible to guess at this point?

Toothless

Perhaps with The Revenant's success, Disney will be calling Inarritu to direct an Star Wars anthology film.

QrBUr3g.jpg

I'm up for Wookie Origins: A Star Wars Story.

kswiston

So is this talk of $33 million and records being broken in China going to equate to beating Titanic? Is that even possible to guess at this point?

The only record being broken in China is one that doesn't matter. Largest opening day that happens to be a Saturday. Movies can open any day of the week in China. TFA scored the 6th highest Saturday. All the other movies just happened to open on other days.

I still think beating Titanic is possible.This weekend's domestic take is quite a bit lower than expected, but overseas grosses might have held up better. We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see.

Somnia

Records being broken? Sure, but ones that are pointless really.

The movie realistically has a chance to not pass Titanic now, I think it will get to or pass titanic, but it has a chance of not happening.

Beating Avatar is 100% not happening.

kswiston

Leo should pull off a win this year. Redmayne just won last year. Fassbender's likely nomination is coming from a film that made $8. Cransten will probably be his biggest competition.

Leo should pull off a win this year. Redmayne just won last year. Fassbender's likely nomination is coming from a film that made $8. Cransten will probably be his biggest competition.

I, for one, can't wait for the voice of Fei Long in the Street Fighter 2 Animated Movie to get a goddamn Academy Award

Ridley327

Yeah, I've been surprised to see Cranston somewhat surge recently, given the middling reviews for Trumbo.

kswiston

The Force Awakens will finish far enough below Avatar worldwide that exchange rate differences wouldn't change the overall placement of the two films. At least we avoid that argument for the next several years.

The domestic record isn't "pointless," though.

That's more than a little unforgiving/shortsighted.

100% agree. Disney is looking long game, worldwide wise.

For a lot of markets, SW needs to get a foothold. Their planned release cadence will allow them to do that so going forward. If the quality of the films hold, you'll see SW opening things up a lot more overseas.

No, that's not how you heard it explained.

What are you doing.

Why are you even addressing that statement like I wasn't being sarcastic?

Branduil

The Force Awakens will finish far enough below Avatar worldwide that exchange rate differences wouldn't change the overall placement of the two films. At least we avoid that argument for the next several years.
Yeah but what if we arbitrarily convert the grosses to different currencies?

No, even after Titanic, the Domestic record was still a higher priority than the worldwide.

It wasn't until Avatar (and the emergence of international markets to an extent not previously seen) that the worldwide numbers began gaining extra weight.

Even WITH the emergence of those markets, I still believe the studios themselves prioritize domestic, being as they still get a larger cut of the domestic than they do the international reciepts.

No, I understood the sarcasm. I'm wondering why you're employing it.

Because it didn't work, you see.

I'm sorry. I didn't know I was making jokes specifically for you. :p

C'mon Bobby. Why are you throwing flags on the play?

LET EM PLAY, REF!

Because we've had a lot of posts along the lines of 'only one record mattters, but are actually serious, over the past few weeks. It can get hard to tell sometimes!

But y'all know me!

Somnia

The domestic record isn't "pointless," though.

That's more than a little unforgiving/shortsighted.

No, that's not how you heard it explained.

What are you doing.

I wasn't talking about the Domestic record, we were talking about the record it got in China. Which the post I quoted mentioned.

kswiston

Yeah but what if we arbitrarily convert the grosses to different currencies?

You mean that arbitrary currency that's been the dominant global reserve currency for the past 70 years and happens to be currency used by the country where all of the studios are based in?

No one complains when Nintendo reports worldwide revenue in Yen, and based their YoY growth/decline on that currency despite their stuff selling everywhere.

Dude you've been incredibly negative towards the movie, why would people assume you're being sarcastic?

Incredibly negative?

Wow. Someone didn't read my comments opening weekend where I said SW7 was good but not great and how much I loved the banter and new character dynamics. Did I have issues with the movie? Yep. Did I hate it? NOPE

But extremely negative? C'mon man...just cause you and I had a little back and forth over Hux's motivations doesn't mean I hated the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom