• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•21-23•15 - Knockin' niggaz out the box weekly... challengers DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

I'm glad American Ultra is out so I won't have to see any more of its horrible TV spots. I got really tired of seeing them during every commercial break when I watched Adult Swim or Comedy Central. It looked like a really horrible movie.

kswiston

Some of these have been listed, but here are this weekend's Worldwide Updates:

Ant-Man - $361M
Inside Out -$690M
Minions - $989M
Jurassic World - $1.623B
Ted 2 - $180M
Terminator Genisys - $353M
Mission Impossible Rogue Nation - $439M

Minions will most likely pass $1B next weekend. With a Chinese release in September, it will end up being the second highest grossing Animated Film of all time behind Frozen.

Straight Outta Compton was really bad. Lifetime Unauthorized Movie Bad.
I don't see the appeal of these truncated narrative movies vs. a really well done documentary (not some VH1 Behind the Music shit).

That scene where Dre is struggling to find the synth hook for Nothing But a G Thang and and then Snoop just strolls in with his whole verse seemed like straight parody.

IS that a record?

I'm wondering this too.

Seems crazy, I don't follow the weekly threads as much as I'd like to, but I can't recall the last time a movie shed nearly 1500 theatres from one to the next, especially when it's only been out like three weeks or thereabouts.

Slayven

Straight Outta Compton was really bad. Lifetime Unauthorized Movie Bad.
I don't see the appeal of these truncated narrative movies vs. a really well done documentary (not some VH1 Behind the Music shit).

That scene where Dre is struggling to find the synth hook for Nothing But a G Thang and and then Snoop just strolls in with his whole verse seemed like straight parody.

Did you see the Aaliyah movie? I refused to believe a Hollywood production could be that bad.

DMczaf

Ant-Man - $361M
Terminator Genisys - $353M

giphy.gif

Did you see the Aaliyah movie? I refused to believe a Hollywood production could be that bad.

Its as bad as any biopic I have ever seen..whether its big budget (Walk The Line/Ray) or basic cable bullshit (TLC/Saved By the Bell). Just bullet points and anecdotes.

Where'd you hear that about Marvel? So far as I can tell nobody's actually talking about anything yet. Everyone knows Fox wants an X-Men show, and Fox & Marvel will have to knock out a deal if they're going to get it, but so far as I can tell nobody's actually heard shit about any particulars, especially since FF splat-packed.

I mean, it makes perfect sense that Marvel would lowball, but I don't know that anyone's actually heard that's what's going on yet.

I heard from a podcast. Could have been a guess.

That X-Men tv deal will probably be the leverage to get it back though.

The only good thing that might come from China saving Genisys is that a lower budget might force the filmmakers to try making a Terminator movie that's actually scary again. A 60-70 million horror film starring a single killer robot might actually get people interested in the series again, in a way NOTHING since T2 has done.

Terminator movies where never scary they are action sci fi films not horror films.

Terminator movies where never scary

The first movie was a horror film. It was scary. That's why people liked it.

T2 was the one that turned it into an action fest. T3 & Salvation chased that dragon and nodded out on their own bullshit.

Going back to a lower-budget horror vibe is a good idea. Hopefully they do that.

Anth0ny

The only good thing that might come from China saving Genisys is that a lower budget might force the filmmakers to try making a Terminator movie that's actually scary again. A 60-70 million horror film starring a single killer robot might actually get people interested in the series again, in a way NOTHING since T2 has done.

give me my low budget, gritty, tech noir terminator

tech noir terminator is best terminator

It will certainly be interesting to see how they handle a Terminator sequel if they manage to get it off the ground. Surely they're going to try to cut that budget as much as possible.

Neoxon

Any realistic properties Fox would want from Disney to trade for?
The X-Men live-action TV rights. I doubt Marvel would want to give up the animated TV rights. But at the same time, it's not like they're using the X-Men in their cartoons, anymore (they have no plans to bring back Wolverine or Deadpool).

Universal stays winning this year.

I saw Straight Outta Compton on Friday and really enjoyed it.
Disney still has their Star Wars trump card.

That being said, this clearly isn't a good year for Fox.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So I saw Fantastic Four and it wasn't too bad till after they got their powers...I think that a lot of the hate is towards it just ending so fast, otherwise it's not too bad. Certainly not 9% or whatever it is on Rotten Tomatoes.

ZoddGutts

I'm glad American Ultra is out so I won't have to see any more of its horrible TV spots. I got really tired of seeing them during every commercial break when I watched Adult Swim or Comedy Central. It looked like a really horrible movie.

Same, seeing Topher and eisenberg annoying voices and faces makes it godawful to see and watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom