• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 11•27-29•15 - Katniss laps as Dino soars, & Rocky passes the shorts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Wow, The Martian jumped a bit.

Big success.

It opened to $48M in China over the past 5 days.

I think it is safe to call $600M for The Martian. It would have to collapse next week in China, and completely flop in Japan to miss that number now. The film will end up in the $225-230M range domestically as well.

Yeah, I'm curious as to what the holds will be. It seems to be garnering extremely positive word of mouth.

But it's already $5 mil north of its reported budget. (37 mil)

I don't see how it misses $100M domestic with this start given the holidays next month.

Do we have demo breakdowns on this weekend yet?

Creed obvously appeals largely to men, but I personally had a full screening that was at least 50% women (two or three groups of ONLY women among them, actually) attending.

(Anecdotal evidence and all, I know)

How does Max Landis still have a career?

Oh yeah...

nepotism-quotes-6.jpg

kswiston

Mockingjay part 1 was sitting at $254M internationally and $480M by this point in its run. Mockingjay pt 2 is $40M behind (over $60M if you subtract the Chinese gross, since MJ1 opened this past February in China).

Given that, I don't think the Hunger Games finale will even hit $700M worldwide. It's quite likely that it will fall under the first film's $694M to become the lowest grossing entry worldwide as well as domestic.

Creed obvously appeals largely to men, but I personally had a full screening that was at least 50% women (two or three groups of ONLY women among them, actually) attending.

My theater was about half women as well. Quite a few couples, and even a few small groups of just women.

Sanjuro

Oh, sure. It definitely has that reach. It's just them making the jump if they are unaware of the franchise. I've had to specifically sell it on another level to people I wanted to show it to. Most conversations I imagine just go like this,

Honey, let's see a film!
Okay.
It's about a guy.
What does he do?
He plays sports.
Oh, like golf?
No. Boxing. He gets punched in the face a lot.
...OH. Well, have fun!

On that same note, I had the distinct honor of being the ONLY male in a screening of Magic Mike XXL, in a theater with a wine special specifically for the film. Wish I could have captured the looks I got!

kswiston

ERC Boxoffice posted this:

CREED stats: Budget ($35M), CinemaScore (A), Males (66%), 25+ (62%), RT (93%)

I wish they gave us ethnicity breakdowns as well in this case.

Abounder

Banned
The need for Creed:

Creed played heavily male (66 percent), with 62 percent of the audience over the age of 25. Caucasians made up 38 percent of the audience, followed by African-Americans (30 percent) and Hispanics (20 percent), according to Rentrak exit polls.

"It played very broadly, which is what we need for long legs," said Jeff Goldstein, Warners executive vice president of domestic distribution. "Ryan Coogler just brought out the best in these actors. Everyone loves an underdog story."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-hunger-games-wins-844106

Holiday revenue is up sharply from 2014 despite 'Victor Frankenstein' being a turkey; 'Carol' beats the debut of 'The Danish Girl' at the specialty box office.

Also, completely beside the point and mostly off-topic, but who the hell gave xaosslug their filthy-ass tag and what the hell does that nasty shit even mean?

CREED stats: Budget ($35M), CinemaScore (A), Males (66%), 25+ (62%), RT (93%)

I wish they gave us ethnicity breakdowns as well in this case.

Abounder got your back!

Interesting - definitely male oriented, but 66-34 split isn't as heavily weighted towards the dudes as people might have expected.

Sanjuro

Yeah. WB should be ecstatic by that early breakdown. It's also a film they can possibly repackage with a Stallone nomination post Star Wars.

kswiston

Abounder got your back!

Interesting - definitely male oriented, but 66-34 split isn't as heavily weighted towards the dudes as people might have expected.

It got the expected boost from black audiences given the lead, but overall those numbers seem to be pretty evenly split. Legs should be good.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Are there plans for a Creed sequel? It's in my top 3 of the year, I wouldn't mind if this continued on with a couple more movies.

Are there plans for a Creed sequel? It's in my top 3 of the year, I wouldn't mind if this continued on with a couple more movies.

There are definitely hooks built into the story to continue on with sequels. Question is whether Coogler/Jordan wanna do 'em.

Can't imagine they wouldn't, though.

gdt

Yay for Creed. Watched Rocky 1 and Rocky Balboa in preparation the other day. Gonna see Creeed on Saturday.

This drop for the Hunger Games is very interesting. Would like some thoughts as to what's going on with it. Watched MJpt1 yesterday on Hulu and it was ok enough. Not much happened but not a bad way to spend time at home. People must've walked out the theater pissed though.

Musolf815

Yay for Creed. Watched Rocky 1 and Rocky Balboa in preparation the other day. Gonna see Creeed on Saturday.

This drop for the Hunger Games is very interesting. Would like some thoughts as to what's going on with it. Watched MJpt1 yesterday on Hulu and it was ok enough. Not much happened but not a bad way to spend time at home. People must've walked out the theater pissed though.

I feel like splitting the weakest book in the series (anecdote: I've never met someone in person who liked the book) into two parts killed a lot of the hype. They did a pretty good job of making Part 1 interesting, I remember the first half of Mockingjay feeling really really boring as I read it. but for non readers it must have been a pain. Then in addition to the lack of hype it also felt like they didn't advertise Part 2 as much.

mreddie

Creed still wins regardless of being 3rd. Hell, this weekend looked better than a month ago where it was 3 weeks of bombas.

Slayven

Using Kwinston's patented Jem math, it looks like they might have made more money sending the projectionist home and cutting off the lights with Frankenstein

kswiston

Using Kwinston's patented Jem math, it looks like they might have made more money sending the projectionist home and cutting off the lights with Frankenstein

The average theatre owner could have snagged themselves a Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle with their cut of the box office from Frankenstein this weekend. The limited edition bundle might be pushing it though.

Slayven

The average theatre owner could have snagged themselves a Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle with their cut of the box office from Frankenstein this weekend. The limited edition bundle might be pushing it though.

Lol earning reports should always use this type of terminology.

Ridley327

RIP in peace Geena Davis career post Cutthroat Island

Considering that it was more or less responsible for killing Carolco completely dead, it took pretty much everyone down with it. Renny Harlin stopped being the go-to action director for Hollywood, Geena Davis lost her star power, and whatever hopes Matthew Modine had of being a headliner were killed, resurrected and then shot in the head to put them down for good. Only Frank Langella seemingly escaped unscathed, but he's Frank Fuckin' Langella.

i'm glad Creed's doing pretty well. It should make hundreds of millions but sadly the market aint like that. but at least it's being considered a success, so damn good.

jett

D-Member
Hopefully this stops people from trying to make Radcliffe happen. Only way this dude gets a hit if they one day make Harry Pottah: The After Years.

I don't know why, but I just can't seem to enjoy movies anymore. The last two movies I watched were Mockingjay and The Martian. I swear in both of the movies all they're doing the entire time is a dramatic, prolonged "walking around." It's been a chore sitting through 2 hours.

Hopefully it's just the movies haha and not a permanent disinterest in cinema

have any of the potter kids really taken off? I've seen emma watson in like 2 movies but her career doesn't seem to be blossoming either.

whatever, they're likely swimming in money anyways.

gdt

have any of the potter kids really taken off? I've seen emma watson in like 2 movies but her career doesn't seem to be blossoming either.

They've gotta be set after the last couple movies.

And you know I like Radcliffe, a cool guy. He's funny too really.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

daniel has done a fair few things, woman in black was pretty big but most of his stuff is just weird
Emma I think took a break and went to uni and is focusing on other stuff
Don't really hear much about Rubert

Can't really blame them, will be a long time before they stop being the harry potter kids and people start looking at them like actual people, if at all

I'd say Emma has the best chance

I was told Fantastic Four ruined Michael B. Jordan's career.

Biggest surprise for me is the Seth Rogen movie didn't drop harder.

I always felt Creed had him covered the way they approached adding this story into the Rocky franchise and him working with Ryan Coogler seemed like a sure hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom