• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 11•27-29•15 - Katniss laps as Dino soars, & Rocky passes the shorts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
have any of the potter kids really taken off? I've seen emma watson in like 2 movies but her career doesn't seem to be blossoming either.

whatever, they're likely swimming in money anyways.

Emma Watson is gonna be Belle in the live action beauty and the beast, and looking at the past disney live action stuff, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be huge and if she gives a good performance, that will be her launching pad.

Mockingjay, as a complete story, had the best acting and action of the HG series. It's just a super depressing downer story. There were a few changes made to tighten up the languishing narrative, but it was always going to be the weakest entry on screen.

kswiston

The Potter kids are doing about as well as anyone else from that sort of mega-franchise, save your odd Harrison Ford.

Well other than Rupert Grint. His career didn't happen.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
And I thought the Hunger Games Part 2 would have performed better at the box office than MJ1 - kinda surprised.

Victor Frankenstein had the smell of death all around it. Aiming it at the audience who may have liked the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movies is basically like asking no one to come along at this point in time.

If it we're made in 2013, it might have made its budget back.

Jawmuncher

Had a feeling Frankenstein was gonna bomb. The very little i saw of it, definitely was trying for a Sherlock Holmes vibe. But it barely seemed to stand out with advertising. Really felt like some typical january fare, so was surprised to see it release on thanksgiving weekend. Had it scored well, it maybe could have been saved. But the low scores just seemed to help seal it's fate.

Not

Banned
Lol VF was a Max Landis script?

Hahahahahaha

hahahahaahahahaahaaa

Oh man

I think he's a cool guy but oh boy this has to sting

So this is Pixar's worst 3 day opening total since Toy Story and a Bug's Life. And if you take the 5 day total, it still ranks at the bottom, only above Toy Story, Bug's Life (which had some weird limited release before its opening weekend) and Ratatouille. The five day total is worse than the 3 day total of 12 other Pixar films!

Saw Creed today. Was a good size crowd that was really into it. I liked it. Wouldn't say it was as good as the original or Balboa, but better than the rest. I'd watch a sequel for sure. Now the wait for Star Wars begins. Don't think there's anything else coming I give a fuck about until it.

kswiston

So this is Pixar's worst 3 day opening total since Toy Story and a Bug's Life. And if you take the 5 day total, it still ranks at the bottom, only above Toy Story, Bug's Life (which had some weird limited release before its opening weekend) and Ratatouille. The five day total is worse than the 3 day total of 12 other Pixar films!

Ratatouille made $62M in its first 5 days.

Saw Creed today. Was a good size crowd that was really into it. I liked it. Wouldn't say it was as good as the original or Balboa, but better than the rest. I'd watch a sequel for sure. Now the wait for Star Wars begins. Don't think there's anything else coming I give a fuck about until it.

You don't want to see Tom Hardy play Kray twins? :p

Just saw a trailer of the Revenant with a new release date for January 8th. Most likely moving away from a crowded Christmas (Star Wars, Hateful 8,Daddy's Home,Concussion). Understandable but was really anticipating that one.

kswiston

Just saw a trailer of the Revenant with a new release date for January 8th. Most likely moving away from a crowded Christmas (Star Wars, Hateful 8,Daddy's Home,Concussion). Understandable but was really anticipating that one.

Hateful 8 goes wide January 8th as well. Both films are in limited release on X-mas.

Why both of those films decided to release in the same week of January (considering the audience overlap), who knows. Two other wide releases open that weekend as well.

Glad to see Creed doing well. I was scared because of the good dino and hunger games that it might not do that well. Glad the good movies prevail!

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legs it has with Star Wars coming up.

Thewonandonly

Shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

Was it that bad? @ The Night Before.
Na bro I just got back from the night before and I thought it was hilarious. I was laughing the whole time and the ending had a good story. Overall it was the funniest comedy I have seen on a long time. But I'm a huge fan of Seth rogan

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Krampus - $6.0m
2) Mockingjay part 2 - $5.6m - $214m total
3) Creed - $4.6m - $54m total
4) The Good Dinosaur - $3.4m - $60m total
5) Spectre - $1.6m - $181m total

kswiston

Weekend Estimates:

1) Mockingjay part 2 - $18.6m - $227m total
2) Krampus - $16.0m
3) Creed - $15.5m - $65m total
4) The Good Dinosaur - $15.5m - $76m total
5) Spectre - $5.4m - $185m total

Good hold for Creed. Horrible hold for the Good Dinosaur.

Everything else was more or less expected.

EDIT: Cars 2 was at $117M after 2 weekends. Even with holidays, I don't see how the Good Dinosaur will avoid being the lowest grossing Pixar film ever (currently A Bug's Life with $163M back in 1998).

I'm the only one finding this movie really underwhelming. The charm of the relationship between the dino and the kid fades quite quickly and TBH I think that "Land before time" did this story way better. Basically is not as bad as Cars 2, but not as good as Brave,

kswiston

I'm the only one finding this movie really underwhelming. The charm of the relationship between the dino and the kid fades quite quickly and TBH I think that "Land before time" did this story way better. Basically is not as bad as Cars 2, but not as good as Brave,

Considering the fact that it will take the film 4 weekends to break $100M, I think a lot of people agree with you.

Jem still wins. 5M budget and still flopped.

Na. $5M productions aren't even qualified for entry in Bomb of the Year.

Talk about damning with faint praise. Brave is my least favorite Pixar movie, though I haven't seen either Cars film.

Its a very well made, boring movie. It also had no hidden adult layer to it. It's also not particularly original in its jokes, so it's not very funny unless you've never seen those jokes before.
when the whole "make your mark" thing was explained, I knew this would be the last adult Pixar movie

jett

D-Member
Weekend Estimates:

1) Mockingjay part 2 - $18.6m - $227m total
2) Krampus - $16.0m
3) Creed - $15.5m - $65m total
4) The Good Dinosaur - $15.5m - $76m total
5) Spectre - $5.4m - $185m total

Everything else was more or less expected.

EDIT: Cars 2 was at $117M after 2 weekends. Even with holidays, I don't see how the Good Dinosaur will avoid being the lowest grossing Pixar film ever (currently A Bug's Life with $163M back in 1998).

The dino-fad is officially over. Jurassic World 2 to bomb horribly confirmed.

Seriously though, I haven't seen it, but I guess audiences just didn't respond to it. Weren't there reports of it being a troubled production?

Slayven

Jem was made with Age of Ultron's Food Services budget. Even if it was a spectacular flop, it didn't cost enough to get a megabomb status.

Pan was already a bigger flop than Jupiter Ascending.

That's not how it works. Jem flopped but it also was a minor loss at best cause of its tiny budget. Frankenstein is going to lose more money probably

I still say it is notable because at 5 million that is like striking out at tee ball, the barrier was soooo low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom