• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus listed by Amazon.de for October 27

was old blood any good? i keep meaning to give it a try. the new order was great.

I love The New Order but Old Blood wasn't very good imo. It cuts out most of the great storytelling and doubles down on poorly designed stealth and arenas. A gameplay twist in the second half sucks too. The art direction and new bolt action rifle are great though. It's worth a play for yourself if you can get for cheap.

Truant

I hope the sequel expands on the systemic nature of the combat. I like how you had to manually pick up everything, made the world feel more tactile.

Risev1

75%+ of my experience with howlongtobeat has seen me finish games in at least 1-2 hours less than the time they give. This makes sense, since a large amount of those who submit numbers do so based on playthroughs done on consoles, where the majority of games do not provide an exact time of completion. I've also seen this sentiment shared with a large amount of the players I interact with.

For example, check this page for Andromeda: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=26802

It says that a completionist playthrough of the game averages around 90+ hours. That is completely insane and inflated. My normal playthrough of the game which ended at a 90% total completion (only things missing were a few miscellaneous objectives such as scanning all planets / crafting all Nomad upgrades, which in no way would take any more than 5 hours), and that took me exactly 50 hours.

Howlongtobeat also lists Doom 2016 as a 11 hours and a half game, yet I completed it in 9 hours. Same deal, even replayed a level once to get all collectibles.

Basically, Howlongtobeat numbers have always been inflated.

I love The New Order but Old Blood wasn't very good imo. It cuts out most of the great storytelling and doubles down on poorly designed stealth and arenas. A gameplay twist in the second half sucks too. The art direction and new bolt action rifle are great though. It's worth a play for yourself if you can get for cheap.
I agree with every part of this, haha. Bolt action rifle was so good. Maybe the only good thing besides "
killed your fucking dog, Rudy
"

I need to see Wolf 2 like yesterday. But tomorrow works too I guess

Machinegames art direction is incredible and if they've upgraded to idtech 6 I think minds are going to be blown

All I want from a sequel is a return to the encounter design of TNO. Let me clear out an entire room of human soldiers with silenced pistol headshots, and if things don't work out I'll slide and kill all of them loudly. TOB encounter design was fucking miserable.

Justinh

I'm day1ing this go-round (day1 of the reviews coming out, that is). I loved The New Order.

Could never get into The Old Blood though. I still haven't finished it, although I plan to someday.

Yeah the 2 is kinda strange and threw me off too. I never played the 09 game, but I always understoond that TNO was a sequel to it and they even reference the old game in some of the dialogue. At least that's what I heard.

Aselith

ÜBER TEXTURES

We don't use them Natzi words to describe our red blooded REAL AMERICAN TEXTURES

737972758_240535.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
75%+ of my experience with howlongtobeat has seen me finish games in at least 1-2 hours less than the time they give. This makes sense, since a large amount of those who submit numbers do so based on playthroughs done on consoles, where the majority of games do not provide an exact time of completion. I've also seen this sentiment shared with a large amount of the players I interact with.

For example, check this page for Andromeda: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=26802

It says that a completionist playthrough of the game averages around 90+ hours. That is completely insane and inflated. My normal playthrough of the game which ended at a 90% total completion (only things missing were a few miscellaneous objectives such as scanning all planets / crafting all Nomad upgrades, which in no way would take any more than 5 hours), and that took me exactly 50 hours.

Howlongtobeat also lists Doom 2016 as a 11 hours and a half game, yet I completed it in 9 hours. Same deal, even replayed a level once to get all collectibles.

Basically, Howlongtobeat numbers have always been inflated.

"Completionist" refers to, well, literally everything the game has to offer, including achievements:

Completionist (100%)
You strive for every achievement, every medal and conquer all that the game has to offer.

It sounds like your playthrough would fall under "Main story + extras", in which case 50 hours is within the ballpark.

For some reason, I have the feeling that this will be semi open world. Not Fallout ooen, but Dishonored open. More interactable. Idk, it would just be very odd to release this next to Cod if it was a straight shooter campaign again.

For some reason, I have the feeling that this will be semi open world. Not Fallout ooen, but Dishonored open. More interactable. Idk, it would just be very odd to release this next to Cod if it was a straight shooter campaign again.
One of them will have giant mecha supersoldiers and laser weapons

The other will be COD in World War 2

They'll be OK

The team excells at narrative driven, linear games. I definitely think we'll see more intricate level design with more ways to handle encounters, but nothing close to open world

FPS of the generation getting a sequel? Hell yeah. Most consistent FPS developer for me (Riddick, The Darkness and Wolfenstein). Bring on E3!

Risev1

"Completionist" refers to, well, literally everything the game has to offer, including achievements:

It sounds like your playthrough would fall under "Main story + extras", in which case 50 hours is within the ballpark.

I see. Still the Main story + extras is illustrated as 63 and half, which is still at least 5+ hours from what I would have if I went for scanning the rest of the planets and crafting the last Nomad upgrade. This pretty much confirms what I'm saying I think.

By the way, I never meant for the length to be an issue. I actually think 8-10 hours is perfect, as The New Order does drag out a bit towards the end with the game throwing you in increasingly difficult arenas with incredibly bullet-spongy enemies. Any longer and the game would have been worse for it.

One of them will have giant mecha supersoldiers and laser weapons

The other will be COD in World War 2

They'll be OK

The team excells at narrative driven, linear games. I definitely think we'll see more intricate level design with more ways to handle encounters, but nothing close to open world

You say that, but both Dishonored 2 and Prey flopped. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we get a three peat. Wolfenstien worked because it released when it did, as did its expansion. New Order in particular came out in a very dry area with very little competition, there was nothing else to buy near it, except Watch Dogs and Ground Zeroes. This will be competing with everything.

They'd better hit a home run at E3.

You say that, but both Dishonored 2 and Prey flopped. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we get a three peat. Wolfenstien worked because it released when it did, as did its expansion. New Order in particular came out in a very dry area with very little competition, there was nothing else to buy near it, except Watch Dogs and Ground Zeroes. This will be competing with everything.

They'd better hit a home run at E3.
To be fair, all of the recent "immersive sims" have struggled with sales

You are right though, there was pretty much nothing in 2014.

I think they'll use DOOM's success to prop up Wolfenstein just as they used the beta to get people to pay attention

Maybe they'll even advertise a DOOM 2 beta and not honor it until 2 years later again

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I see. Still the Main story + extras is illustrated as 63 and half, which is still at least 5+ hours from what I would have if I went for scanning the rest of the planets and crafting the last Nomad upgrade. This pretty much confirms what I'm saying I think.

Oh, I wasn't saying you were wrong to suggest the average figure shouldn't be taken as gospel. What I meant by "within the ballpark" is "between the fastest time of ~41h and average time of ~64.5h". That's what people should expect -- something within the range presented, not necessarily the average specifically.

The two games in the new Wolfenstein series were so good, I am more than down for this one.

The characters are some of my favorites from any FPS too.

EndersAres

Neo Member
This is probably my biggest want. TNO and Old Blood were so damn good. I really loved the things BJ said. So much different that what other characters in games say.

daveo42

Banned
Glad this is happening. TNO was a super pleasant surprise one of the best fps games to come out in the past decade.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Bleh. Too bad evil within couldn't make Halloween instead (if true)

Don't need another fps right there in the mix with all the heavyweights in the fall (bf2, codww2, Destiny 2)

I hope you're right with that extreme wishful thinking lmao

You're getting me all excited. :p

Not that wishful, honestly. Fallout Obsidian was a joke, but I think we might see Fallout Arcane in that slot, or a new ip from Arcane. The rest are pretty straightforward. Evil Within is getting announced at E3, more evidence pointing to that than Starfield, but Bethesda specifically made a second team at their main studio to avoid the 4 year dev time that Fallout 4 suffered, so I think there's a very good chance that Starfield releases next year, baring any unforeseen catastrophes. I doubt they release Evil within and Starfield near each other, and even with the Halloween bump, a BGS product will fare better in the Fall. Doom 2 and Fallout Arcane are just me spit balling, they might hold off another year on Doom, and Arcane may do Dishonored 3(though I'm thinking not likely).

Top Bottom