• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Good to hear that the game works on PS4 without the day 1 patch after all, I'm getting my retail disc copy tomorrow from a Norwegian store. Started to get worried after seeing that other thread earlier, but now I'm back to just being pumped about the game.

baconcow

I have not been following this game, much. What sort of replayability and length have been suggested? I have read 15-20 hours. Is this a game that is expected to have multiple playthroughs? Also, any unlockable modes or just the single player campaign (like Dishonored vanilla)?

Mr Swine

Banned
I wish that Beth could release the game tomorrow or Monday since it's "out" already and people will probably spoil all the fun :/

DieH@rd

Banned
In this trailer it was stated that Nazi stole tech from someone. Who could that be?

I have not been following this game, much. What sort of replayability and length have been suggested? I have read 15-20 hours. Is this a game that is expected to have multiple playthroughs? Also, any unlockable modes or just the single player campaign (like Dishonored vanilla)?

- Bethesda claims 15-20h for first play-through
- Game has 5 basic difficulties, all are unlocked at start.
- Early in the game there is a storyline branching that will change the flow of campaign/gameplay a little.
- By discovering all "enigma codes" collectibles you can unlock Ironman mode, 1 death = erasing of your campaign progress.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Like I said before, it's probably megatextures taking up a lot of the space.

Yeah. If there was an anomaly in a texture there's no way to fix it other than to redo that portion of the texture and repackage the entire thing.

Fucking horrible

I just read that the UK version is also completely uncut, so I'll just order from Amazon.co.uk. It should arrive somewhere around the 22nd.

Holy crap, calm down dude, it's really not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.
I'm normally the first who's bitching about censorship, the German index and banning games like Dead Rising but in the case of Wolfenstein I'm not making a stupid witch hunt out of it.

At least they're creative in how they're changing the symbols and Nazis without changing the sense of the story.
There were many games and other media that made less sense because of it.
Hell, the German version of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream was unbeatable because they cut out a whole part of the game in which a crucial item has to be obtained in order to progress through the game after that sequence. THAT is a stupid and very bad case of censorship worth bitching about.
Wolfenstein is not such a case.

gruenel

Holy crap, calm down dude, it's really not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.
I'm normally the first who's bitching about censorship, the German index and banning games like Dead Rising but in the case of Wolfenstein I'm not making a stupid witch hunt out of it.

At least they're creative in how they're changing the symbols and Nazis without changing the sense of the story.
Hell, the German version of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream was unbeatable because they cut out a whole part of the game in which a crucial item has to be obtained in order to progress through the game after that sequence. THAT is a stupid and very bad case of censorship worth bitching about.

Creative censorship is still censorship. Yes I know Bethesda has no choice because it's the law here.

Aside from that I hate german voiceovers, they're just horrible in 99% of all games.

I'm not supporting that shit so I'll just get the UK version which is cheaper, too.

In this trailer it was stated that Nazi stole tech from someone. Who could that be?

- Early in the game there is a storyline branching that will change the flow of campaign/gameplay a little.
- By discovering all "enigma codes" collectibles you can unlock Ironman mode, 1 death = erasing of your campaign progress.

Iron man mode is the secret mode? Aww...That's disappointing. They made it sound like it would be awesome, not just an extra difficulty level.

scitek

Alright, I guess I'll go ahead and cancel my preorder from SimplyCDKeys. What's the best deal elsewhere right now?

Xater

Ironman mode is kinda disappointing as an unlock. Thought they would do something more creative.

They changed up the story in the German version of TCW as well and it sucked ass. I really don't think such excessive changes are necessary but they went with them anyway.

zorbsie

Just watched the German trailer. I hope we have the choice of picking language for the enemies. Would love it to be German with subtitles.

bidguy

Banned

should have made an achievement/trophy for beating the story on ironman

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They're claiming 15-20 hours for a single playthrough? Seems excessive for a single player shooter though I suppose Rage was roughly that long my first time through thanks to the hub stuff.

Is there a hub in this game or is it just a collection of levels and cutscenes?

mtm5925

You can unlock extra modes by collecting enigma codes for each levels. Ironman mode is just one of them. It's supposed to have
(number of levels) + 1 unlockable modes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They're claiming 15-20 hours for a single playthrough? Seems excessive for a single player shooter though I suppose Rage was roughly that long my first time through thanks to the hub stuff.

Is there a hub in this game or is it just a collection of levels and cutscenes?

That time estimate is coming from the publisher which means you should cut it in half for an accurate number.

sjay1994

Its obvious isn't it?

aliens-meme-image.jpeg

Levyne

Banned
Aww man, I swear somewhere they said that the Bonus mode unlocked by Enigma Codes was not just a "super hard mode".

:/

Was very surprised to wake up to an email from Amazon today saying they bumped my order up to launch day delivery for free. Pretty cool stuff, anyone else get this?

Got the same email, but I am prime so I thought it was a bit odd.

That launch trailer has me super hype. I really want to plat this one, but know it's gonna kick my butt. Bring on next week!

Lima

Fucking horrible

I just read that the UK version is also completely uncut, so I'll just order from Amazon.co.uk. It should arrive somewhere around the 22nd.

Amazon.co.uk won't send the game to a German address. You either get a "sorry we can not ship this to your destination" during the checkout process or will get an email later to inform you that your order has been canceled.

gruenel

Amazon.co.uk won't send the game to a German address. You either get a "sorry we can not ship this to your destination" during the checkout process or will get an email later to inform you that your order has been canceled.

That sucks, thanks for the info.

Good thing there are plenty of other retailers out there :p

Bricky

The timing of this game couldn't be any better. I'm completely in the mood for a good World War II single-player shooter (even if it's weird, alternate WWII). Not even a Wolfenstein fan (haven't played any of the previous games) but I just pre-ordered this one once it was clear the game isn't going to be complete shite going by previews.

From what I have seen it seems like Singularity if it was made by Tarantino. That game didn't set the world on fire, but I enjoyed it for sure.

Bittercup

Ah, okay. I was just going to say that Bethesda has forbidden German PC users from accessing the ROW version.
Activating a ROW key in Austria should be no problem? It seems that it was restricted at one time but the restriction removed. I hope they don't decide to suddenly add the restriction again.
I'm so excited for this game but very hesitant to buy it until I know for sure :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Activating a ROW key in Austria should be no problem? It seems that it was restricted at one time but the restriction removed. I hope they don't decide to suddenly add the restriction again.
I'm so excited for this game but very hesitant to buy it until I know for sure :/

What's weird about that is although the runtime restriction was removed, the activation restriction was not, so you still need to use a VPN to activate a ROW key. I'd like to say this is Bethesda throwing Austria a bone but I'd seek confirmation from Bethesda's community rep as it's entirely possible that the former restriction was removed in error.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I tend to not really invest myself in media reviews or previews, I'd much rather read gaf impressions, but the fact that the embargo lifts so late is still mildly annoying :/

Where are all the impressions of leaked copies? Need

Top Bottom