• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

JayEH

Looks like the OT was freaking out over nothing like many predicted. When scores like this come in, it makes no sense to me why there is a release day embargo.

Grief.exe

From the Eurogamer review

The game begins as a very showy series of set-pieces, a prologue set toward the end of the war that has you pressing X to close a valve, X to pull a lever, or even X to climb into a plane's nose turret and shoot at Nazi jets. It's all very prescriptive, and although you soon have a gun in your hand and the freedom to run around shooting people, Wolfenstein: The New Order does like its set-pieces and cut-scenes. While the latter are often cheesy, the former throw up a few neat moments, including roping up the wall of a fortress and piloting an awesome giant robot.

All these scripted events mean that this is mostly a game on rails, taking you from point to point with the minimum of distractions, secrets or alternate routes. Though a few examples of these do exist, they won't keep you off the the path laid before you for very long. Later in the game, a rather obvious Easter egg makes it possible to play some of the original Wolfenstein 3D and the contrast between the two is remarkable. Its ancestor serves as a reminder of just how sprawling first-person shooters used to be, along with how much of their expanse was entirely superfluous, existing only to be explored. In comparison, Wolfenstein: The New Order, like many of its peers, is rigid and claustrophobic.

Pretty much what I expected. Yet utterly disappointing.

KaYotiX

Banned
Im expecting 8's

Game looks like fun though, cant wait to play through it. Always like a good single player game and it kinda sounds like it has a decent story also

Gryph

This all sounds pretty lovely. Glad I went with my gut and pre-ordered...

Terrifically excited to play this tomorrow.

Raptomex

If you're looking for more after the roughly 10-hour campaign, you'll want to hunt for every collectible, unlock all the concept art, and search for the elusive "Enigma Codes." The codes are basically the ultimate secret in The New Order consisting of 18 individual pieces for each of the four codes. If you can find them all and solve the numerical puzzle in the extras menu you'll unlock additional modes, which are mainly just modified difficulty levels.
I really hope this is super customizable. Kind of like Halo's skulls.

Karak

I gave it a 7(low buy rating) for ACG games.
A good shooter that didn't do anything spectacular but was enjoyable to play-through and longer than most other shooters.
Edit: One warning. With a couple play-throughs I did get some fairly horrendous game stopping bugs. I wouldn't call it super polished but it was better than others than have been called "final"

Vire

Man... I just hope this is the last time anyone uses that Rage engine. Watching the video reviews, dear god is this game ugly.

Tapejara

Pretty good reviews overall. Game seems right up my alley so I was going to pick it up regardless, but it's still nice to see some 8's and 9's.

I'm excited to pick this up tomorrow. I was kinda worried that the publisher or best buy was desperate because I'm effectively picking the game up for $28 bucks tomorrow

I'm surprised eurogamer called out the sex scene given it's probably the most tactful one I've seen in gaming. Which doesn't mean much on its own, but it wasn't really juvenile.

SFenton

On resolution/framerate:

HvDwrFw.png

I guess DF will put up a thing eventually, but unless anyone can confirm he's blatantly downplaying or anything, there you go.

Eusis

Now that I read the Eurogamer one it DID sound overly linear. Well, it'd probalby make a solid rental for me at the least.

Sounds like it hits all the notes I'm looking for and even some I wasn't expecting. I'm in.

I couldn't get into Wolfenstein 2009 but the 2001 Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a great time, and that was mostly linear punctuated with some larger battles and secrets, so I'm fine with that. If anything it'll be an over-reliance upon set pieces that might bug me - but that'll depend upon execution. Lets do this.

K' Dash

I was impulse buying this last friday, realized there was no preload for PS4, they lost 1 sale, now I'll wait for a heavy discount or PS+

No excuse for this day and age not to have preload on all games, this isn't a fucking WiiU (I love my WiiU), I expect this from Nintendo, certainly not from Sony.

I'm glad it is revewing OK.

On resolution/framerate:

HvDwrFw.png

I guess DF will put up a thing eventually, but unless anyone can confirm he's blatantly downplaying or anything, there you go.

I don't believe this person, trying to keep the insults in my head.

Respectable scores. My mind was made up to support this dev team long ago so I don't really care about the reviews, but it's good to see that people mostly enjoyed it.

JLeack

Banned
On resolution/framerate:

HvDwrFw.png

I beat it on Xbox One and can't remember the frame rate ever dropping. VERY smooth experience. <3 id Tech 5.

What the hell did Eurogamer expect? An openworld game?

Uber Corridor-esque shooter is in the series' DNA and when it did deviate from that, we got Wolf2009, where said deviation felt mostly superfluous...

Game is reviewing better than I expected none the less :)

USgamer 4/5

Wolfenstein: A New Order's story is a serpentine, meandering epic that endlessly twists and turns. Sometimes surprisingly, and at other times with the kind of predictability you can hear coming a mile away.

Hanging on for dear life is a game desperately trying to keep up. Sometimes it does so with absolutely spectacular results, and sometimes it falls flat as a pancake. It challenges you with tasks that range from pulse-poundingly thrilling to teeth-grindingly tedious, and mixes gameplay moments of sheer brilliance with ones of excruciating mundanity. In many respects, Wolfenstein is too ambitious for its own good: it writes several checks it can’t quite cash. Yet those checks are so big, and it comes so damn close to cashing them, it really does deserve a cigar. That’s ultimately my judgment on the game, but it’s why it deserves that cigar that is the interesting bit, and the reason why I decided to start this review with its conclusion..

Grief.exe

Man... I just hope this is the last time anyone uses that Rage engine. Watching the video reviews, dear god is this game ugly.

I wonder if Bethesda is going to stick with Gamebyro or they are going to push Rage as well.

Either use the engine or it becomes a wasted investment I guess. The

one really nice thing about Rage is it has a nice frame rate on consoles. Correct me if I am wrong, but Rage ran at 60 FPS. Not sure what framerate the Wolfenstein console release is hitting, but it is probably pretty good.

antitrop

Either use the engine or it becomes a wasted investment I guess. The

one really nice thing about Rage is it has a nice frame rate on consoles. Correct me if I am wrong, but Rage ran at 60 FPS. Not sure what framerate the Wolfenstein console release is hitting, but it is probably pretty good.
Wolfenstein is 60fps on all consoles. Rage would dynamically drop its resolution to maintain 60fps on consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wolfenstein is 60fps on all consoles. Rage would dynamically drop its resolution to maintain 60fps on consoles.

I think the engine struggles doing anything other than 60fps. Game speed is tied to framerate and unable to change, which is kind of nuts for a modern engine.

Top Bottom