• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

Grief.exe

What is a good FPS reviewer these days?

Wolfenstein is 60fps on all consoles. Rage would dynamically drop its resolution to maintain 60fps on consoles.

That is very impressive.

I think the engine struggles doing anything other than 60fps. Game speed is tied to framerate and unable to change, which is kind of nuts for a modern engine.

Especially when some of the PC demographic is trying to hit 120,FPS, while the consoles are struggling to hit 30 in many cases.

Pulling in opposite directions.

Personally, 60 is the minimum.

Tapejara

What the hell did Eurogamer expect? An openworld game?

Uber Corridor-esque shooter is in the series' DNA and when it did deviate from that, we got Wolf2009, where said deviation felt mostly superfluous...

Game is reviewing better than I expected none the less :)

Not that I'm saying Eurogamer's opinion isn't valid, but I've never really understood linearity as being a problem. Especially in a game like The New Order, which always looked like it was going to be a linear, story based shooter.

85 Meta on PS4

Nice. Hopefully it'll stay above 80.

Levyne

Banned
So if i buy the 53.99 version on PSN tonight.. do i get access to Doom 4 beta?

Apologies for the color.

C0fFObb.png

Basically, in the US, should be yes. Otherwise no.

Edit: But apparently it's not among pre-orders anymore so you may be too late.

Wurdfurd

Great, its back to $60 even for plus, and no more Doom beta. damn my procrastinating ways.

Edit: So, theres a 53.99 one that you cant buy, and a 59.99 one you can. Nice sony.

Vire

Amusing to see some think the narrative is awful while others remark it's a highlight of the game.

I'm going to lean on the awful side since it is Wolfenstein.

DukeBobby

Amusing to see some think the narrative is awful while others remark it's a highlight of the game.

I'm going to lean on the awful side since it is Wolfenstein.

I'm going to lean on the great side since it's made by ex-Starbreeze devs.

edit: anti, my man.

Vire

I'm going to lean on the amazing side since it's former Starbreeze.

Definitely seems like it's tonally inconsistent, one minute you are gunning down a huge mechanized robot dog, the next you are having a heartfelt love scene with your girlfriend?

antitrop

Definitely seems like it's tonally inconsistent, one minute you are gunning down a huge mechanized robot dog, the next you are having a heartfelt love scene with your girlfriend?

That sounds fucking awesome.

Have you watched the trailers?

I wasn't gonna get this game. A few of the trailers made me sorta interested in getting it after a while, then stuff about them taking the story got me intrigued, then hearing that it's from Starbreeze people got me to pre-order for Day 1.

El_Chino

If you supposedly don't trust them anyway, yeah, why care about their review?

Assuming anything they review positively must be bad is just contrarian.
I was just about to say this.

Damn the negativity, this game will remind me what FPS were all about. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

tumblr_moe867jJWD1rvb9sdo1_500.gif

I'm so fucking ready to kill some motherfucking nazis on the motherfucking moon.

If this game sucks I'll be all like:

26068.jpg

But in my heart I know this will be:

tumblr_inline_mvv37q8FMd1ro2x8m.jpg

Vire

That sounds fucking awesome.

Have you watched the trailers?

Haha, I mean yes it sounds great from an over the top cheesy summer blockbuster perspective, but it doesn't exactly make me take your story seriously.

I haven't seen the trailers yet, just checked in on a few of the video reviews.

Maddrical

The fact that this hasn't got shitty reviews has me sold for the first time it's on sale on Steam. I'm keen for an old school FPS.

Haha, I mean yes it sounds great from an over the top cheesy summer blockbuster perspective, but it doesn't exactly make me take your story seriously.

I haven't seen the trailers yet, just checked in on a few of the video reviews.

There's nothing more proper B-movie/grindhouse than the game taking its story seriously while also being over the top ridiculous. If they're doing it without any of the overtly nerdy self awareness of our generation, that sounds like a great thing to me.

Vinc

Any word on PS4 version vs XOne? I'd like to play it on XOne due to the triggers, but I'll get the PS4 version if it has the better visuals. I remember hearing both were 1080/60

Vire

Even a stopped shill is right twice a pay period.

I guess you could go with that, a broken clock is right twice a day. But usually when Gies or even Polygon in general like something, I'm the exact opposite and vice versa for the games they dislike.

See:

Child of Light - 6.5

Forza Horizon - 6

The Last of Us - 7.5

and the above aforementioned reviews in my earlier post about Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, Sim City and Halo 4.

There's nothing more proper B-movie/grindhouse than the game taking its story seriously while also being over the top ridiculous. If they're doing it without any of the overtly nerdy self awareness of our generation, that sounds like a great thing to me.

Sounds like an incredibly difficult line to balance. Godzilla comes to mind..

I guess you could go with that, a broken clock is right twice a day. But usually when Gies or even Polygon in general like something, I'm the exact opposite and vice versa for the games they dislike.

This is like when people go "haha, pachter says it'll sell so it must be a bomb" except you're apparently serious. An untrustworthy review should be ignored, not taken as to mean the opposite of what it says. Assuming that anything they like is bad and vice versa is just as silly as taking their word as the truth automatically.

Murtrod

The Last of Us - 7.5

Still don't understand that review and never will.

Anyway, I'm downloading! Damn, this game is gargantuan though...

I'm excited to play this tomorrow. IV been calling this out to be a sleeper for the past month when I started to actually look in to it. Looks good and I'm glad to see it getting good reviews.

Top Bottom