• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

"Wolfenstein is a video game. It contains guns in which the player can use, if he chooses to, to shoot humans dressed in Nazi iconography. It has cutscenes in-between the gameplay sections. It cost $60.

itsavideogame/10"

You can be objective and discuss short comings or triumphs in performance and mechanics. Use Titanfall or Infamous Second Son as examples, there are many things to be said both positive and negative about those games that are nearly universally accepted. It's lazy to say, "doesn't feel next gen" or some other vague reasoning, 8/10. That's lazy and doesn't inform the consumer properly on what is and isn't well executed.

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

Is it me or would this game have been better if they decided to add multiplayer. I think this missing element is going to hurt sales. I'm definitely waiting to grab this on the cheap in a few months.

Jito

Banned
79 metacritic is mediocre? Would 80 be great?

That one point makes all the difference to some haha

Is it me or would this game have been better if they decided to add multiplayer. I think this missing element is going to hurt sales. I'm definitely waiting to grab this on the cheap in a few months.

I think it's going to sell perfectly fine based on all the reviews and peoples reaction to it so no, not everything needs tacked on multiplayer.

Hari Seldon

79 metacritic is mediocre? Would 80 be great?

I didn't even look at meta critic, just at the quotes in the OP. Single Player FPSs better be getting "OMG BEST GAME EVER!" type of reviews for me to pay full price for them. That is my personal opinion obviously, as I am bored with the genre.

I get that, but there are some that will use just the scores as a measure of quality. Most egregious being Publishers. I don't see how that is possible when reviewers are all over the map. I understand difference of opinion but reviews should come from a place of objectivity.

You can be objective and discuss short comings or triumphs in performance and mechanics. Use Titanfall or Infamous Second Son as examples, there are many things to be said both positive and negative about those games that are nearly universally accepted. It's lazy to say, "doesn't feel next gen" or some other vague reasoning, 8/10. That's lazy and doesn't inform the consumer properly on what is and isn't well executed.

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

You're operating under the assumption that there's some "objective" middle ground to be stood upon when no such thing exists. A reviewer can either express their own subjectivity or they can make up another subjective perspective that may or may not exist. Objectivity has nothing to do with it.

It's lazy to say something like "doesn't feel next-gen" without backing it up using examples, or quantifying what that means. Poor reviews won't justify themselves well.
Good reviews will use examples from the game, tie points together and make a coherent thesis.

Even a bad review can be useful though, much like how many users' impressions on GAF (many of which are poorly articulated) can add up to a generally useful vision of what the game entails.

I didn't even look at meta critic, just at the quotes in the OP. Single Player FPSs better be getting "OMG BEST GAME EVER!" type of reviews for me to pay full price for them. That is my personal opinion obviously, as I am bored with the genre.

Some people seem to think the game is quite good. Your interpretation of the reviews as "mediocre" is a failure in reading comprehension, regardless of your tastes in the genre.

scitek

There's too much going against it in the form of meh graphics and no multiplayer for practically every mainstream reviewer to give it above an 8-something. As far as single-player FPSes go, it's really good.

Skyzard

Banned
Another day or so and I think we'll hear more opinions on the second half of the game and how it holds up to the first.

Hari Seldon

There's too much going against it in the form of meh graphics and no multiplayer for practically every mainstream reviewer to give it above an 8-something. As far as single-player FPSes go, it's really good.

Well yeah those are two major reasons not to buy it. So meh graphics, no multiplayer, decent campaign. Sounds like a steam sale game to me.

scitek

Well yeah those are two major reasons not to buy it. So meh graphics, no multiplayer, decent campaign. Sounds like a steam sale game to me.

Yeah, it's not worth $60, but I don't pay that for any game these days. I paid a little more than half that for this one, and I feel it's easily worth that.

Synth

Lol it would be dead within a month.

I'm not one of those that thinks every game needs a multiplayer mode.. but I seriously doubt a multiplayer mode that was in line with previous Wolfenstein MP offerings (RtCW and Enemy Territory) would be dead within a month.

Right now, I'm somewhat interested in this and would probably pick it up when it's a little cheaper. If it was also a RtCW MP sequel, I would have already pre-ordered it, and would be sidelining everything else in favor of it... Titanfall? Never heard of it.

funkypie

Banned
the thing is, while all these reviews are complaining about this that and the other. At the end of the day, just reading this thread, everyone seems to be having fun with it.

throw back to old school style FPS with guns killing nazis, with plenty of gore? Might not be the best technically, but all i'm hearing how good and fun it is.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Deplorable sound mixing would be another reason, but less people care about that aspect.

The sound is the worst part of the game. I didnt enjoy the first 2 hours at all, these levels were horrible, but thankfully the game opened up a bit and throwed in some gameplay and story surprises here and there and I enjoyed my last session quite a bit.

LordOfChaos

Anyone see a good PS3 vs 360 comparison yet? I can only find each compared against XBO/PS4 or PC, not each other. Deciding which one to get. I'd assume 360 is better as usual though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone see a good PS3 vs 360 comparison yet? I can only find each compared against XBO/PS4 or PC, not each other. Deciding which one to get. I'd assume 360 is better as usual though.

If its anything like Rage,both versions maintain a solid 60 and drop resolution to make sure the frame rate doesn't go down.

Been playing the PS3 version myself and happy to say the frame rate is super fluid all the time. There are occasions where low resolution textures are really in your face, but it never detracts from the gameplay part of it.

Archer

Fantastic game. Loved every minute of it. The game environment was really telling.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Chabbles

Mediocre reviews, skipping this one. Maybe I'll splurge purchase it and never play it in some future steam sale.

(1) A 79 puts you off a (Great) game, (2) at some point you'll probably splurge purchase it during a steam sale, (3) but you wont get around to actually playing it ?
So not only have you fucked up once or even twice, but thrice. Thats a triple fuck up right there.

Top Bottom