• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Maybe it's just his opinion, which is what a review is, after all.

Very likely is the case, but we'll never know based on his history of being a very biased individual. He tainted his credibility by himself that affects his future reviews and opinions. I have hope for everyone, so maybe one day he'll realise what a twat he has been and changes his ways.

So if we take away the personal opinion in these reviews, this sounds like a mechanically functioning and good fps game. That's truly all I need to know. Hearing someone saying the story sucks in a videogame these days is the equivalent of telling me the sky is blue. So yeah, Wolfy, I'll see you later today!

Steroyd

Watched the Totalbiscuit first impressions and colour me surprised, was expecting COD-influenced corridor of mehness, but it's more open arena based with the ability to customise your cover and how you approach things with your own style of play, reminds me of Splinter Cell Blacklist's type of approach alot.

These reviews are all over the fucking place.

I think the Giantbomb review will do it for me. When does that come up?

I sadly dont think there will be one. Im going to assume that if there was one it would be on the calendar of things to be released. Plus, the guys have repedeadtly said that QLs have taken the place of reviews in a lot of ways. Im just expecting the QL

ttocs

I sadly dont think there will be one. Im going to assume that if there was one it would be on the calendar of things to be released. Plus, the guys have repedeadtly said that QLs have taken the place of reviews in a lot of ways. Im just expecting the QL

I always watch their Quick Looks but rarely read their reviews. I'm more of a video consumer though when it comes to gaming. During my lunch break it's easier to watch a video while I eat lunch than read an entire review. Plus - the GB guys are hilarious and that shines in their quick looks.

scitek

So if we take away the personal opinion in these reviews, this sounds like a mechanically functioning and good fps game. That's truly all I need to know. Hearing someone saying the story sucks in a videogame these days is the equivalent of telling me the sky is blue. So yeah, Wolfy, I'll see you later today!

The story doesn't suck, surprisingly. At least not in the first half.

Loxley

How can anyone use reviews as a measure of quality when seemingly every game gets scores from 6-9?

supermanthatsrighttkkrz.gif

I always watch their Quick Looks but rarely read their reviews. I'm more of a video consumer though when it comes to gaming. During my lunch break it's easier to watch a video while I eat lunch than read an entire review. Plus - the GB guys are hilarious and that shines in their quick looks.

Oh yeah, I've never been a fan of the written review. I would much rather watch people actually playing the game.

Dawg

The story doesn't suck, surprisingly. At least not in the first half.

I'm one of those people who had critique about the story. First half is excellent, but (imo) it loses some of its momentum as you get closer and closer to the ending. Second half just isn't as good as the first half. I realize this is very personal though, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people don't have this problem.

It's a very good first-person shooter despite the story issue and graphics. I've looked through the PC performance thread and it kinda looks better there, I noticed more blurriness and low res textures in the PS4 version. I wouldn't say it bothered me THAT much, but it's an obvious limitation of the engine. That, and the fact their priority seems to have been 1080p60fps. Can't blame them, game feels very smooth on PS4.

How can anyone use reviews as a measure of quality when seemingly every game gets scores from 6-9?

I read the text and the reviews paint a picture of a FPS that I would enjoy because I'm aware of my tastes.

Scores or not, the justification of each opinion and how each review highlights different aspects of the experience is extremely useful to me.

At the very least this seems like a good, functional game. At the same time, the reviews scream to me "Wait for the inevitable PSN 1/2 off sale!"

FaintDeftone

I'm happy to see the positive scores on this. I preordered the Xbox One version seeing as the game looks to be identical on both current gen systems and I have nothing but Titanfall to play on it. My PS4 will get some Watch Dogs love next week.

I'm really happy that this game is styled off of classic shooters. I would love to play a modern shooter without cover mechanics and recharging health/shields. Just let me run in and mow dudes down. I think this game will fit the bill nicely.

I preordered from Amazon to get that $10 credit. $50 isn't bad at all for this game and I want to support a new Wolfenstein game being made as it is a classic.

Hopefully it recaptures the glory days of RTCW, even if a little.

Nice to see solid reviews which will hopefully help sales. Watch Dogs can wait, this can not.

scitek

The best news to me is that the exodus from Starbreeze didn't hurt its output (I liked Syndicate, and we know about Payday and Brothers), and that led to MachineGames forming, which is capable of putting out quality games itself, so now we have two good devs instead of just one.

Donos

Well at least only the symbols/swastikas are censored in the german version but the violence/gore is all in. So i'm back to renting, even if i have to endure the german dub. Feared that they would butcher it like Bulletstorm.

camaropilot

I loved the last Wolfenstein so I really want this game! The reviews help me solidify that choice. I'll be pickings it up when the first sale on it hits. I would totally get it day one but I made myself stick to a budget this year :(

el_brio

Neo Member
I just moved and my internet doesn't get hooked up till Saturday. Will I be able to pop this into a non-connected ps4 and play or is the patch mandatory or something idiotic like that? Also any news on a performance delta between ps4 and xboxone?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At the very least this seems like a good, functional game. At the same time, the reviews scream to me "Wait for the inevitable PSN 1/2 off sale!"
Just buy it now and resell it after you're done. I expect to get most of my money back.

Listonosh

GameZone - 7.5

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a next-gen game with an old-school approach both in terms of presentation and gameplay. It’s certainly a fun game, but there’s only so much Nazi slaying you can do before things begin to get repetitive, and that’s where things begins to slip up.

I read the text and the reviews paint a picture of a FPS that I would enjoy because I'm aware of my tastes.

Scores or not, the justification of each opinion and how each review highlights different aspects of the experience is extremely useful to me.

I get that, but there are some that will use just the scores as a measure of quality. Most egregious being Publishers. I don't see how that is possible when reviewers are all over the map. I understand difference of opinion but reviews should come from a place of objectivity.

sn00zer

Because most games arent that bad anymore?.....seriously unless a game is downright unplayable most games arent that bad....its too expensive to make a truly bad game anymore

Levyne

Banned
reviews should come from a place of objectivity.

Reviewers should try to leash their biases, sure, but what you are asking for is literally impossible. It's at odds with what a review is, a person's opinion. You can't just isolate someone from their preferences. Unless you just want a fact sheet of verifiable truths.

CozMick

Banned
Just finished the first chapter....

Looks like ass, plays amazingly.

Ripping through Nazis with dualies is a thing of beauty.

Reviewers should try to leash their biases, sure, but what you are asking for is literally impossible. It's at odds with what a review is, a person's opinion. You can't just isolate someone from their preferences. Unless you just want a fact sheet of verifiable truths.

"Wolfenstein is a video game. It contains guns in which the player can use, if he chooses to, to shoot humans dressed in Nazi iconography. It has cutscenes in-between the gameplay sections. It cost $60.

itsavideogame/10"

Mman235

Because most games arent that bad anymore?.....seriously unless a game is downright unplayable most games arent that bad....its too expensive to make a truly bad game anymore

That's exactly why review scales need to open up, and stop giving an automatic 5-6 points for "it works".

It's weird seeing a Wolf game that's not developed by id Software (who is busy with Doom 4)

hah, they haven't developed the two previous Wolfenstein games, either. Someone is in for a shock.

Anyhow, being a big fan of Starbreeze and an old school fan of Wolf3d I'm looking forward to eventually getting this on steam. It's still kind of weird that it's a direct sequel to Wolf 2009 given that 2009 isn't even available on steam anymore and was a great B-tier Raven developed shooter but ill take a decent wolf game in whatever shape it comes in.

A quick question for those who know:
Is it possible for them to patch in some AA in the PS4 version?
Assuming there is parity betwee XboxOne and PS4 i figured tjere must be some room for that on PS4...

Apparantly there will be, they said so at the end of the QL.

Top Bottom