• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good enough for me to buy and then resell after beating it. I need a new game on my PS4!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't plan on playing the Game you can Watch my Video showing off the best Moments the Campaign has to offer.

SPOILER ALERT (Don't watch if you want to play it):
Best Single Player Moments in 14 Minutes

Wolfenstein The New Order ENDING CUTSCENE

I'm just posting this for people who are interested.
I think it's best to keep spoilers out of here, personally. The last thing we want in a review thread is people accidentally revealing major plot points. But that's just me.

Much better scores than I expected! I was anticipating a score in the low 60s, mostly cuz I've noticed a trend that next gen AAA games are getting a hard time having a +75 mc average.

meanspartan

For most games, being in the 7.5 to 8 range would be solid, but kind of a letdown if I was looking forward to it.

But this game for some reason I honestly thought would be terrible, so I am pleasantly surprised to see it scoring relatively well.

During any other time a game in this range I would wait til it dropped to $30, but Wolfenstein may benefit from the launch drought and get me to buy it full price, especially if Watch Dogs is a let down. And I even have a PC which I could totally play this on, but I am sick of my Ps4 just being a Netflix and NBA2k machine (with a nice 10 hour Infamous break in March).

Hip Hop

people who equate price to hours actually exist? I guess you learn something new every day

Don't know why you are acting surprised. There are tons of people out there just like that(including myself).

If a game has 10 hours of play but no multiplayer (or it's not open world) I just wait for it to go on sale or something before plucking down on full price. I hate replaying games, so it's not gonna give me anything more than the initial hours.

For instance, Watch Dogs already has my money being that it is open world. Those type of games offer me more (It doesn't have to be the same way for you of course) just by experimenting in the world alone.

Even Mario Kart 8, with its online focus is already a day one buy for me for the same reason. Online play gives me a reason to keep coming back to it. I get that not all online multiplayer games are good, so I avoid those too just like everyone else would. No biggie, I'll just wait for a sale, again.

Price/Hour ratio is not everything of course, but I do take it into consideration when there are other alternatives out there. Everyone's different.

About what I expected review-wise.

Definitely worthy of a purchase

Already got this paid off, so I am certainly going to pick up my copy tommorow.

LTWheels

One of the things I've heard about the game is that the story is suppose to be surprisingly well written and entertaining.

Have the reviews in general been backing this up?

MaxiLive

The reviews seem all over the place :eek:

Glad its getting some high scores and hopefully some success.

As for me I'll probably pick it up later down the line as Wolfenstein never really offered much interest for me but I think a old school shooter might hit the spot when it comes down to an average price range. I'm also all FPS'd out at the moment.

It looks great though!

One of the things I've heard about the game is that the story is suppose to be surprisingly well written and entertaining.

Have the reviews in general been backing this up?

CVG says
Narrative is intelligently written, brilliantly voiced and highly polished

imjust1n

Banned
"kill kill all the nazis. We will stay here...KILL THEM ALL"

yes old polish man I will kill them all.

9/10 for me this game is AWESOME!

Sweep14

Playing it on PS4 since Saturday. Good game with a really nice presentation. My only complaint is that the AI is dumb (and I'm playing at Über difficulty).

Footos22

Playing it on PS4 since Saturday. Good game with a really nice presentation. My only complaint is that the AI is dumb (and I'm playing at Über difficulty).

Yeah i second this the A.I is abit hit or miss sometimes they can see you side on.
Other times you can be jumping in front of them like a maniac and they just stare lifelessly at you lol. Still hasnt happened often and the game is incredibly fun.

prudislav

If a game has 10 hours of play but no multiplayer (or it's not open world) I just wait for it to go on sale or something before plucking down on full price. I hate replaying games, so it's not gonna give me anything more than the initial hours.

well Wolf NO supposedly has two different story timeline so it might be worth to replay , but didnt found anywhere how much different are those timelines yet

Wasn't sure about this, but a 9/10 from Gamecentral is very unusual. Tempted, but I need to read more reviews first.

In my opinion Eurogamer tends to overrate or underrate games. This is looking great. Despite any reviews I was getting this anyway. Can't wait.

Well that's clear as mud.

CthulhuPL

Yeah, those guys at Eurogamer...

8/10 for Titanfall, MP game only

6/10 for Wolfenstein, SP game only

They really tend to overrate or underrate games.

Kaversmed

6/10 - Gamereactor (Denmark, Sweden, Norway)

+ Great visual design, flexible gameplay with the opportunity to choose your own style.

- Bad A.I., flat sounds, unimpressive graphics, seems unfinished.

Vin Diesel is talking about reviving the franchise. I want to say he acquired the rights from Atari's corpse, but don't know if that is completely accurate.

Wasn't the first game as a result of that the iOS game that came out at the same time as the film last year? I think it was called CoR: Mercenaries, or something.

Good with my Best Buy pre-order

$48 ($51 w/ tax) for the game - $20 for reward zone - $5 for an egift card

I'm ok with paying $27ish dollars for this

ttocs

Amazon gave out a $10 credit if you bought the game so that's where I got mine. Decided to go for PS4 because I haven't really played anything on the console since Second Son. Looking forward to playing this tonight though!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
From Eurogamer: "All these scripted events mean that this is mostly a game on rails, taking you from point to point with the minimum of distractions, secrets or alternate routes. Though a few examples of these do exist, they won't keep you off the the path laid before you for very long. If you were to go back and play the original Wolfenstein 3D, you'd discover that the contrast between the two is remarkable. Its ancestor serves as a reminder of just how sprawling first-person shooters used to be, along with how much of their expanse was entirely superfluous, existing only to be explored. In comparison, Wolfenstein: The New Order, like many of its peers, is rigid and claustrophobic."

On rails? Ugh. I'll pass. Maybe when this hits Redbox I'll give it a rent. I can't stand linear on rails FPS games. Why is it that every FPS game in the past...I dunno...five or more years...they're always linear and on rails?

Battlefield 3 & 4, All the CODs past COD4MW, Halo Reach & 4, etc.

This is the new FPS game design? This is acceptable?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yeah, those guys at Eurogamer...

8/10 for Titanfall, MP game only

6/10 for Wolfenstein, SP game only

They really tend to overrate or underrate games.

I would argue that Titanfall having an 8/10 is because it lacks a SP campaign. On top of that, the 8/10 is basically avg in my opinion, the MP only game does what it intended to do, be a MP only game.

For Wolf being a SP only game and is mostly on rails...6/10 is very warranted. Wolf should have been very non-linear and non-on rails. Why do designers continue to make linear FPS games that's basically an interactive movie where you just sit like a veggie and hit some buttons to keep the screens rolling? How is that even remotely a game or much less, fun?

game
gām/
noun
noun: game; plural noun: games

a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Top Bottom