• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

Courage

y75lhbe.png

wbEMX

But Gies said they were the same? Who to believe...

I think that the FPS are basically the same on both of them. They don't eloborate on the console differences that much. They just mention that the PS4 version looks better in the end because the textures on the X1 version are worse.

Start it before you leave tomorrow.
Already started and played through the first 10 minutes before the game stopped and said I had to wait on the rest of the content download.

Looks and runs just fine but I was getting subtitles even though I had them set to "foreign only", but that was probably for the best as the sound mix wasn't great and I could barely discern the voices over all the other sounds. There didn't seem to be an option for specifying an audio setup. PS4 game options were as limited as they come.

Tomorrow it is.

Sotha_Sil

Let's pray for Bethesda not buying them. I don't want another Prey 2 situation.

Zenimax bought MachineGames back in 2010. This game was made with their money.

Zenimax also owns Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, Arkane Studios, iD Software, Tango Gameworks, Zenimax Online Studios, and Battlecry Studios.

Footos22

Games fun as hell. About halfway in. Don't.pay attention to the jaggy mess of ps4 screenshots in the other thread. Looks nothing like that.

soultron

Banned
Just got finished playing the first few areas on my PC. Runs really well on my 660, i5 4670K, 8GB RAM. I don't even have anything overclocked and I'm pretty sure I'm hitting 60 right now with High settings at 1080p.

Also, the game is fun. Firing two weapons at once feels really great since the weapons, solo, offer a good sense of snappiness when you pull the trigger. There's opportunities for stealth if you sneak up behind guys or use the leaning mechanic and a silenced pistol. The environments tend to open up a bit so as to offer multiple pathways when you're in the bigger sandbox-y areas, again reinforcing stealth if you choose to play that way. There are stealth-specific perks (as are there for other playstyles) you can earn by playing in a stealthy way, such as increased silenced pistol damage if you get 10 silenced pistol stealth kills.

I was worried the cinematics would really go overboard on the gore but they haven't so far, and I'm grateful. I passed one point in the story where they really could've gone overboard (spoilers for after the first 2 chapters: in the
Polish couple's
house when you use the
chainsaw on the Nazi officer
.) but MachineHead showed restraint. The cinematics are really well shot and the great backing music is subtle but really adds to the atmosphere. Also, the writing and dialogue is really well-delivered from what I've heard so far. I feel like Inglorious Basterds was an obvious influence, but that's not a bad thing. The game does enough visually with its environment and mechanical art to distinguish itself as a unique work.

There are also some neat environmental puzzles hidden away. You'll really have to slow down and search the environment for them, but even though they're simple once you've figured them out, they manage to be very gratifying and reward you for your attentiveness. I've encountered 2 so far and was smiling once I "unlocked" them.

I can't wait to play more.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is there more or less a consensus on how long it is?

i'm pretty excited to check this out, but i'll save it for a later date with price drops. it seems like a good one and done game to me, wether that is true or not. i think what i've been most looking forward to with this is the story/writing. from the trailers it seems surprisingly sharp and has some really interesting scenes. i feel like good shooting or not i'd just wanna rampage my way through to get to more story.

soultron

Banned
i'm pretty excited to check this out, but i'll save it for a later date with price drops. it seems like a good one and done game to me, wether that is true or not. i think what i've been most looking forward to with this is the story/writing. from the trailers it seems surprisingly sharp and has some really interesting scenes. i feel like good shooting or not i'd just wanna rampage my way through to get to more story.

Without spoiling anything, you make a choice very early in the game that (might) make a difference later on. I'm not sure yet, but the achievements also kind of lead me to believe this. Also, you can play areas aggressive or stealthy if you want. Might lead to more replay value if you're into that kind of thing.

jaosobno

Wow, some really great reviews out there. Looks like most reviewers love the game. Glad to see that after those few bad impressions we were getting here on GAF.

Zenimax bought MachineGames back in 2010. This game was made with their money.

Zenimax also owns Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, Arkane Studios, iD Software, Tango Gameworks, Zenimax Online Studios, and Battlecry Studios.

Zenimax was created by Bethesda as a shell company.

Bydobob

Some great reviews rolling in considering expectation levels. Interesting one from Metro, David Jenkins actually thinks the game has something meaningful to say about nazi racism. Didn't see that coming.

Remember when Bioshock had no multiplayer and people complained and then we got that sorry excuse for a multiplayer mode in number 2?

Also, I'm playing on PS4 and it's telling me "content is currently unavailable" after playing the introduction part.. I don't see it doing any more downloading though in my PS4 menu and I'm on a super fast 100 Mbps connection and it's been like this for a while. Anyone else experience this?

EDIT: looks like it was still downloading stuff after all. I'm playing now.

Eusis

Remember when Bioshock had no multiplayer and people complained and then we got that sorry excuse for a multiplayer mode in number 2?
I think people have certain expectations from id properties as they were what really established the FPS MP scene.

Although I do think the kind of game design has to be taken into account regardless, and Wolfenstein DOES sound more like a linear thrill ride rather than something more open ended or deeper. That's why it was kind of BS with Bioshock (and funnily enough might have been legitimate for Bioshock Infinite.)

MrBenchmark

Glad to see good reviews I grabbed it digital since ps+ discounted it.
Was it preloaded? I only downloaded 2 files over 4 Gb and was playing.

Really fun played about 45 minutes in bed on my vita. Probably start over in the morning just to see it from the beginning on my TV.

Glad to see good reviews I grabbed it digital since ps+ discounted it.
Was it preloaded? I only downloaded 2 files over 4 Gb and was playing.

Really fun played about 45 minutes in bed on my vita. Probably start over in the morning just to see it from the beginning on my TV.

PlayGo system, the rest downloads in the background as you play.

frogg609

Liking this game on the PC. I wish I could interact with all the letters and notes I see, as the world seems well developed and interesting.

Had one crash to desktop about 5 minutes in, but other than it's been fine. (About 2 hours in).

Great game so far!

I think people have certain expectations from id properties as they were what really established the FPS MP scene.

Although I do think the kind of game design has to be taken into account regardless, and Wolfenstein DOES sound more like a linear thrill ride rather than something more open ended or deeper. That's why it was kind of BS with Bioshock (and funnily enough might have been legitimate for Bioshock Infinite.)
Yeah but the last Wolfenstein game made by iD was Spear of Destiny.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Gies really is gaf's punching bag, isn't he? Don't care for his stuff? Then just stop bringing him up, it works wonders.

glaurung

7 VERSUS 9

FIGHT!

I am glad I have my PS4 copy flying in from Amazon UK. Hopefully it'll be here before the end of the week.

Looks good! Just what I expected, a very good FPS.

I'm glad it's focus is on SP. Hate shoehorned MP, and equally hate SP's that are 5 hrs long.

Really hate shoehorned co-op or a focus on co-op with a story and plot that is thin as wafers.

I'm glad a dev decided to make a good FPS that is well thought-out and a focus on SP, like the good ol' days.

KHlover

Banned
Technically, that is what you are supposed to do. Find a reviewer who has similar tastes. Ignore those that are polar opposites to your core beliefs.

I have never been able to figure out good reviewers though. I just go by objective GAF impressions/reviews.
Choose one.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Already started and played through the first 10 minutes before the game stopped and said I had to wait on the rest of the content download.

Looks and runs just fine but I was getting subtitles even though I had them set to "foreign only", but that was probably for the best as the sound mix wasn't great and I could barely discern the voices over all the other sounds. There didn't seem to be an option for specifying an audio setup. PS4 game options were as limited as they come.

Tomorrow it is.

That was happening to me to, then I realized it only appeared to be happening when Ferguson talked. IDK, maybe they thought his accent would be hard to understand?

Top Bottom