• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman to be named Honorary UN Ambassador

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Well firstly there are a huge amount of real life woman who could have been used for this role which would probably sent a better message than using wonder woman

Also sure pop culture is used a lot to raise awareness for issues but this is too close to the WW film to be anything but blatant advertising
This.

Lift up an actual real woman that girls growing up could aspire to. Not a comic book character. Smh

Bronx-Man

Banned
CK04syd.jpg
...this actually happened?

Prototype

Yea cuz no one looks up to fictional superheroes. Nope. They all mean nothing.
Right.... That's not what I said. But ya since this is the Internet everything needs to be spelled out - ok, Sure some do look up to. Superheroes, but its not the end all be all of role models, and not an entirely appropriate one for the United Nations... In My Opinion.
The UN should have chosen a more fitting figure considering what kind of institution it is and the things they deal with.

Firebrand

you people need to read up a little more, wonder woman is 75 years old and is far far far more popular than those two characters. she's a symbol for women's rights and feminism (somewhat) what's iron man got? a popular movie?
I was responding to the argument that WW is somehow a globally recognized pop icon, which I very much doubt.

Purkake4

Banned
I was responding to the argument that WW is somehow a globally recognized pop icon, which I very much doubt.
Some people seem to be under that impression that US comics are widely known outside of the US, they are not, other parts of the world either have their own comics (Belgium, France, Japan) or just don't do comics.

Some characters like Superman, Batman and Spiderman have gained some recognition thanks to TV and movies, but that's pretty much it.

Some people seem to be under that impression that US comics are widely known outside of the US, they are not, other parts of the world either have their own comics (Belgium, France, Japan) or just don't do comics.
Luckily there are TV series, animated movies and series, toys, games and LEGO that has helped characters such as Wonder Woman in other parts of the world. Ske's know throughout it and her merch sells.

Right.... That's not what I said. But ya since this is the Internet everything needs to be spelled out - ok, Sure some do look up to. Superheroes, but its not the end all be all of role models, and not an entirely appropriate one for the United Nations... In My Opinion.
The UN should have chosen a more fitting figure considering what kind of institution it is and the things they deal with.
And they still do. Wonder Woman is essentially the face and mascot of that movement now. It's fitting.

Slayven

A lot of folks mad at a token gesture.

That aside, there needs to be oversight int eh Amazonian bee weapon program

2016_05_13_my_god.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom