• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman removed as 'honorary ambassador' for UN after protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....But the version of Wonder Woman that I follow is portrayed by Gal Gadot... and she is Israelian.

My version of Wonder Woman isn't white.

Are they also saying that this fictional Israelian woman is too beautiful to represent anything?

Tosyn_88

.....But the version of Wonder Woman that I follow is portrayed by Gal Gadot... and she is Israelian.

Are they also saying that this fictional Israelian woman is too beautiful to represent anything?

I think it is safe to say the critics are focused on the comic one not the live action one.

The American iconography is because her mother designed it to be worn in America, sort of like a sign of peace. I suppose after the better part of 75 years of wearing it, the history and story of why gets murky.

i'm glad the movie got rid of the american flag pants lol. if her culture is more related to ancient greece she should be wearing duller gladiator colours anyways.

Reminds me of "catgirls wear skimpy clothes because it's their culture"

Don't know what this catgirl thing is. I agree insofar sticking with the American imagery for decades wasn't wise. Just saying the character doesn't identify nor represent America, even back at the inception; to say nothing of how paradise island was shown next to America and the world of man. And it isn't like the Marstons' needed an in universe reason to dress a character in a revealing American flag getup back then.

i'm glad the movie got rid of the american flag pants lol. if her culture is more related to ancient greece she should be wearing duller gladiator colours anyways.

Yeah. Her movie costumes are nice and I'm happy Rebirth followed it in removing the stars. They kept trying to work the stars in there for some reason.

Don't know what this catgirl thing is. I agree insofar sticking with the American imagery for decades wasn't wise. Just saying the character doesn't identify nor represent America, even back at the inception; to say nothing of how paradise island was shown next to America and the world of man. And it isn't like the Marstons' needed an in universe reason to dress a character in a revealing American flag getup back then.

Yeah. Her movie costumes are nice and I'm happy Rebirth followed it in removing the stars. They kept trying to work the stars in there for some reason.

Umm Rebirth didn't remove the stars there are just fewer of them

iaTMLzgIUyh2-H6rhbTjL6U8Ltkvo5ukDi5GP-NJ1ERNGq8drubW8mU0baUY_CEJ8WYkRiepcpIQ=s0

Though from research it seems stars might just be only on a lot of the costumes featured on Rebirth covers, I can't tell if they are there in the book itself but they're all over the place on overs.

What I want to know is why they killed this costume so fast, this was only last year.

The new one Greek inspired or not, this a much better costume than a skirt that barely covers the pubic area.

Tweak it a bit by removing the stars and the weird shoulder things and we have an amazing costume.

Trokil

Banned
The new one Greek inspired or not, this a much better costume than a skirt that barely covers the pubic area.

Tweak it a bit by removing the stars and the weird shoulder things and we have an amazing costume.

Wow, even then it still would look terrible. There is a reason why artists usually get inspiration in classic style instead of this Todd McFarlane overdone insanity. Usually less is more, even for Superheros. There was a video posted only a few days ago when Stan Lee ridiculed McFarlane for that.

Wow, even then it still would look terrible. There is a reason why artists usually get inspiration in classic style instead of this Todd McFarlane overdone insanity. Usually less is more, even for Superheros. There was a video posted only a few days ago when Stan Lee ridiculed McFarlane for that.

Yes less is more is generally the rule of thumb for women... that;s why you see all that skin and why their skirts barely cover the pubic area in many cases.

Costume from last year with some tweaking would great, hell I'd take Wonder Woman 600 too. It's not really that busy of a costume the gold shoulder crap aside. It's taking her regular top and extending it with blue collar and sleeves. For the bottom half I'd ditch the V too but the boots are similar to her usual only she's wearing pants.

To compare that costume to Overkill btw is bloody hilarious... because that's not even remotely comparable. Overkill was literally overkill on design, this is just a couple too many flairs.

Gadot has not reached the levels of RDJ and Chris Evans to be associated with the character.

Big muscly incredibly handsome men in skintight latex/tights.

Granted, that gets into the muddy waters of "power fantasy VS sexual fantasy", but the point stands that many male superheroes represent grossly unrealistic standards of beauty.

you do realize the audience for comics are largely men and not women right? Read 50 Shades of Gray, that's called sexualizing a man

Guardian Opinion piece.

Part of it:
In October this year, Wonder Woman was named a United Nations honorary ambassador for the empowerment of women and girls. Earlier this week, due to a petition of 45,000 signatures, her role was cut short. The petition stated that Wonder Woman’s current image, referring in particular to her outfit and appearance, was inappropriate, and the empowerment role should be held by a real woman.

Absolutely, real life women should hold official representation roles, especially for such a loaded global goal, but an “honorary” ambassador, unlike a goodwill ambassador, is traditionally created for fictional characters. Winnie the Pooh was an honorary ambassador for friendship in 1998. Tinkerbell was named honorary ambassador of green (environmental awareness) in 2009. Fictional characters have the ability to cross borders and boundaries that real people can’t. Their accessibility and interest to children help spread important goals to younger generations.

Liz's Legends of Wonder Woman book got cancelled. This has been a pretty shitty week for Wonder Woman.
Yes less is more is generally the rule of thumb for women... that;s why you see all that skin and why their skirts barely cover the pubic area in many cases.

Costume from last year with some tweaking would great, hell I'd take Wonder Woman 600 too. It's not really that busy of a costume the gold shoulder crap aside. It's taking her regular top and extending it with blue collar and sleeves. For the bottom half I'd ditch the V too but the boots are similar to her usual only she's wearing pants.

To compare that costume to Overkill btw is bloody hilarious... because that's not even remotely comparable. Overkill was literally overkill on design, this is just a couple too many flairs.
Any new costume Wonder Woman wears never sticks. It doesn't help that they're mostly way too busy. The fans are immediately split and writers typically can never justify the costume for it to last long before DC relaunches her book with the classic look. DC is all about iconic images and the fact is WW classic costume is iconic. There is nothing wrong with her classic costume as long as artist know how to portray her in it.

There's a difference between how someone like Ed Benes draws WW:

And how Nicola Scott draws her:
It's possible to have female characters wear costumes that show skin and not sexualize them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Gal Gadot commenting on the "attractiveness" criticism in a recent TIME article about the movie, Jenkins, and the history of the character.

But the woman who now plays her hasn’t gotten used to the vitriol. “There are so many horrible things that are going on in the world, and this is what you’re protesting, seriously?” Gadot asks, reflecting on the U.N. blowback. Warner Bros. cast perhaps the only actor in the world who, like Wonder Woman, is both a model and a soldier: Gadot won the title of Miss Israel in 2004 and served in the Israel Defense Forces. But that doesn’t mean the 31-year-old hasn’t been baffled by persistent debates about Wonder Woman’s looks—and the sexual and anti-Semitic harassment Gadot has received online over the past two years. “When people argue that Wonder Woman should ‘cover up,’ I don’t quite get it,” she says. “They say, ‘If she’s smart and strong, she can’t also be sexy.’ That’s not fair. Why can’t she be all of the above?”

Ploid 3.0

Can't they just create a character? A nice symbol of empowerment that has no ties to an intellectual property that may be used to do whatever a company wants? It shouldn't take much to create one. Some artists would be happy to do it for free I bet.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Can't they just create a character? A nice symbol of empowerment that has no ties to an intellectual property that may be used to do whatever a company wants? It shouldn't take much to create one. Some artists would be happy to do it for free I bet.

Eh?

The idea is saluting a fictional character who's had long standing ties to the UN throughout her 75 year history and who's traditionally served as an advocate of diplomacy and equality within popular culture. It's not to just create a "CAPTAIN UN" style character as a means of filling some sort of cultural void.

Theorry

Lynda Carter responded on it.

In a recent interview, Carter issued a no-holds-barred response to the controversy. She began by defending the size of Wonder Woman's breasts. ”Well, excuse me, women have breasts!" the 65-year-old actress/jazz singer exclaimed to The Daily Telegraph. ”Superman has got a big pouch in his crotch, so does Spider-Man and Green Lantern and their muscles are bulging — no one has a problem with that If they have a problem with a female who is strong, they're missing the entire point; it's the ultimate sexism to say because she has big breasts and a costume on, that is what you think represents her and who she is. Women do have breasts and women can defend themselves and fight back. Wonder Woman is about telling the truth."

As for the protesters complaining about Wonder Woman being a "white woman," Carter pointed out how silly that rationale is: ”I'm half Hispanic and [Gal Gadot] is Israeli."

rackham

Banned
I agree. Comic book females aren't the best role models. A majority exist to be boobs in spandex.

Wonder Woman is the worst offender imo. Touted by DC as their strong feminist character, she has the worst storylines and worst costumes.

Volimar

A strong answer. Always did like Lynda Carter.

Hispanic is not a race

Excuse me, herpanic.

I agree. Comic book females aren't the best role models. A majority exist to be boobs in spandex.

Wonder Woman is the worst offender imo. Touted by DC as their strong feminist character, she has the worst storylines and worst costumes.

They worked on that in the DC animated shows and films.

Her point still stands, she only half white, and current Wonderwoman actor is Israeli and also not completely white. The idiots behind the uproar don't do much research.

American Protestants sure do have weird and warped definition of Caucasian or White, LOL

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Lynda Carter responded on it.

Gal Gadot not being white. Ummmmm........... I'm pretty sure she is of germanic jewish ancestry that is identified as white.

nOoblet16

Gal Gadot is white, her ethnicity is a mix of all sorts of European. That's as white as you can get.
American Protestants sure do have weird and warped definition of Caucasian or White, LOL
Lol indeed.
Her mother was supposedly of mixed French, Spanish and Mexican ancestry...she can be all of that and still be what is classified as white. And even if she wasn't that'd still make Lynda Carter like 80-90% white than anything else...at which point why even bother arguing about this ?

Gal Gadot is white, her ethnicity is a mix of all sorts of European. That's as white as you can get.

Lol indeed.
Her mother was supposedly of mixed French, Spanish and Mexican ancestry...she can be all of that and still be what is classified as white. And even if she wasn't that'd still make Lynda Carter like 80-90% white than anything else...at which point why even bother arguing about this ?

again, Hispanic is not a race

it's Richard Nixon term to place a whole bunch of people into one basket

nOoblet16

again, Hispanic is not a race

it's Richard Nixon term to place a whole bunch of people into one basket
I know that already, but you can tell that to Lynda Carter

As for the protesters complaining about Wonder Woman being a "white woman," Carter pointed out how silly that rationale is: “I’m half Hispanic and [Gal Gadot] is Israeli.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom