• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woody Harrelson Eyed to Play Han Solo’s Mentor in ‘Star Wars’ Spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abounder

Banned
Just don't make him blue and it's all good

guardians-of-the-galaxy-sean-gunn-michael-rooker.jpg

Fury451

Banned
I have the strange feeling this is going to basically be a copy/paste of Yondu and Star-Lord's relationship

Edit: I see I'm not the only one

Not

Banned
Han Solo went without a movie for too long and thus people formed unbreakable personal perspectives about his backstory

This movie's gonna be hard for a lot of folk

Cheebo

Banned
The funny part of Han having no mentor claim is it contradicts what Lawrence Kasdan wrote as backstory for the character back in in 1979. Han's mentor has been an element of his origin since Kasdan wrote Empire.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Han Solo went without a movie for too long and thus people formed unbreakable personal perspectives about his backstory

This movie's gonna be hard for a lot of folk

Perhaps, but we already had movies that ruined backstories for Darth, Emperor, Yoda, C3P0, R2D2, Chewbacca etc. What's one more?

Cheebo

Banned
Perhaps, but we already had movies that ruined backstories for Darth, Emperor, Yoda, C3P0, R2D2, Chewbacca etc. What's one more?

If there is one single person in the universe who gets Han Solo and who he is outside of Harrison Ford it has been Larry Kasdan. Again and again and again. Why are people suddenly just now questioning his abilities to write who Han is after basically crafting every single element about him post-A New Hope?

norm9

what type of racist bs is this.

If the poster meant some actors are bigger than their roles (I certainly wouldnt put Whittaker into that category with examples being The Shield and Ghost Dog), then i kinda agree with Sam Jackson and Woody Harrelson. I wouldnt put Bill Murray, Vin Diesel, The Rock, or Channing Tatum in Star Wars either.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
If there is one single person in the universe who gets Han Solo and who he is outside of Harrison Ford it has been Larry Kasdan. Again and again and again. Why are people suddenly just now questioning his abilities to write who Han is after basically crafting every single element about him post-A New Hope?

I don't mean to question Larry at all. I was just trying to get across that even IF the movie 'ruins' Han, it's just one more ruined backstory in a long list of characters from the OT so people should be able to handle it by now.

Cheebo

Banned
That was on Lucas. Kasdan wanted to go in a different direction but was overruled.

Kasdan actually wanted Han to have his own plotline in Return of the Jedi that got canned....about his mentor. And after that was a fierce advocate for killing off Han in Jedi.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Would he have the first good-ol-boy accent in SW history?

Kasdan actually wanted Han to have his own plotline in Return of the Jedi that got canned....about his mentor. And after that was a fierce advocate for killing off Han in Jedi.

Yep. TFA essentially reset the pieces from the end of Jedi to how Kasdan wanted to end the saga in the first place:

- Han Solo dead
- Luke goes off on his own
- The transition from rebellion wouldn't necessarily be smooth

Essentially he wanted it to be a bit more melancholy but Lucas decided to go with happy endings across the board.

Weckum

Didn't Han grow up with chewi on the wookie planet?

If I recall correctly Han was a Stormtrooper before he became a smuggler. He saved Chewie's life which made Chewie a life indentured servant because of Wookie rules.

That's how I remember it, and of course non of this is canon anymore.

Cheebo

Banned
Well the Wookiee thing nearly happened. Lucas considered having pre-teen Han Solo in Revenge of the Sith with the Wookiees. Concept art was even done.

jelly

I like Woody and you need someone like him if you're going to do it as his mentor. Kind of like, Sean Connery as Henry Jones.

If I recall correctly Han was a Stormtrooper before he became a smuggler. He saved Chewie's life which made Chewie a life indentured servant because of Wookie rules.

That's how I remember it, and of course non of this is canon anymore.

Close, he was a TIE pilot and than a Lt. on Coruscant. And it wasn't an indentured servitude, it was a life debt. Chewie chose to follow Han into the smugglers life.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Han Solo's mentor?

hahahaha

Yeah. I honestly hate the direction nuStar Wars has gone in. These spinoffs are just the worst fanfilm ideas given Disney budgets.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah. I honestly hate the direction nuStar Wars has gone in. These spinoffs are just the worst fanfilm ideas given Disney budgets.

They have an entire universe and we're seeing a fucking Han Solo film. Well hopefully once they get it out of their system they can move on to more interesting topics.

If Han Solo must have a mentor, I hope that he at least screws him over in spectacular fashion in some way. I'm very much in the camp of "Han Solo doesn't need a mentor", but I'm willing to give this a chance.

Pretty indifferent about Woody Harrelson tbh

TL21xx

Banned
God, do I want to be excited for this movie... Miller and Lord, written by Kasdan... And yeah, the actor choices are actually really solid, but I just can't get past the fact that it's a young Han Solo movie with not-Harrison Ford. I know that it has the potential to be awesome, hell, just look at all the memorable Solo stories from that period in the Legends and Classics continuity! But man... I just can't get behind it. I'll be there day one, but I'm not gonna be able to shake the bad feeling until that first trailer drops, and possibly not until the credits roll.

I have to be out of my mind GAF, because I liked TFA and really enjoyed Rogue One, am I crazy for not feeling this concept?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom