• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woody Harrelson Eyed to Play Han Solo’s Mentor in ‘Star Wars’ Spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer3993

Kasdan had little to do with the mentor idea. Like just about everything Star Wars in cinema from 1977 to 2005, it came from George Lucas. Han's stepfather appeared in the first, rough draft for Empire Strikes Back, written by Leigh Brackett. Kasdan would be brought in after Brackett's untimely death. The stepfather's name was Ovan Marekal and he was an extremely powerful figure in the galaxy. According to the draft, only the Emperor and Vader were more important. George had come up with a back story for Han and his stepfather during story conferences with Leigh in late 1977. From those notes:

George Lucas said:
Han's stepfather is a Hemingway-esque character. His father was a trader and his father's father was a trader, and they honed out this trading post-empire and pretty soon it became this giant thing. In his trading, he came across Han and took him under his wing for eight or nine years- until they had a falling out at the end and had a bitter fight over something. Han swore he would never talk to him again.

(From The Making of The Empire Strikes Back)

In the early drafts of Empire, Leia approaches Han early in the movie to talk to his stepfather about allying with the Rebellion. Han initially refuses, but by the end of the script he agrees and it ends with him and Chewie flying off in the Falcon to find the stepfather.

jett

D-Member
Kasdan had little to do with the mentor idea. Like just about everything Star Wars in cinema from 1977 to 2005, it came from George Lucas. Han's stepfather appeared in the first, rough draft for Empire Strikes Back, written by Leigh Brackett. Kasdan would be brought in after Brackett's untimely death. The stepfather's name was Ovan Marekal and he was an extremely powerful figure in the galaxy. According to the draft, only the Emperor and Vader were more important. George had come up with a back story for Han and his stepfather during story conferences with Leigh in late 1977. From those notes:

In the early drafts of Empire, Leia approaches Han early in the movie to talk to his stepfather about allying with the Rebellion. Han initially refuses, but by the end of the script he agrees and it ends with him and Chewie flying off in the Falcon to find the stepfather.

That's interesting stuff, didn't know the first draft diverged that much. Reading up on it, Vader isn't Luke's dad in it, and in fact Ghost Obi-Wan brings Ghost Anakin with him to say waddup to his son (and tell him about his sister "Nellith"). This dialogue is all awful.

Boba Fett had Cad Bane as a mentor, only fair Solo gets one too. These people aren't born badasses, they gotta learn.

You know what, I don't think I'm interested in that. I thought this was just a Han Solo prequel, not Han Solo Begins or Han Solo: Origins. I actually wonder what's it gonna be titled.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Everyone has mentors in their life. One does not need the title to play the role. You had some, I had some, your grandma had some, Harrison Ford had some. A mentor is just someone who helps you grow and shape your beliefs, behavior and values.

So yes, Han Solo had a mentor.

Jarmel

Banned

lol wtf

We'll see how they handle it in the film but Han's 'dad' being some super rich guy that nobody fucking mentions is beyond laughable.

rekameohs

Banned
That's interesting stuff, didn't know the first draft diverged that much. Reading up on it, Vader isn't Luke's dad in it, and in fact Ghost Obi-Wan brings Ghost Anakin with him to say waddup to his son (and tell him about his sister "Nellith"). This dialogue is all awful.

You know what, I don't think I'm interested in that. I thought this was just a Han Solo prequel, not Han Solo Begins or Han Solo: Origins. I actually wonder what's it gonna be titled.
I don't see why they'd pick anything other than Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

This film is either gonna be the best SW film since ESB or worse than the prequels...

Every single Star Wars movie from here on out will have both of those descriptions given to it by the fans in the first week of release.

inm8num2

In my head this movie is basically Rounders: A Star Wars Story.

Han is Damon. Woody's character is Turturro. Lando is Ed Norton. Han wins the Falcon in sabacc, after which Lando decides to get out of smuggling and gambling. In the film's climax Han battles Malkovich the Hutt in an even higher stakes sabacc game.

I'm all in.

I don't care at all if Han Solo has a mentor or not (mostly because I don't think he's interesting enough to hold sacred or even remember exists a lot of the time), but Woody Harrelson is AWESOME news. Zombieland is easily one of my favorite movies ever and he rocked that movie HARD

Even though I don't give a damn about the Han Solo character, the amount of talent coming into this movie easily makes it the first Star Wars movie that I feel like is going to be amazing! Excited!!

harrelson%20smile.jpg
Wait what!? He was on 2012? mindblown!

The story of Han Solo before he was Han Solo, i.e. when he was just some loser. No thanks, bruh.

The stepfather's name was Ovan Marekal and he was an extremely powerful figure in the galaxy. According to the draft, only the Emperor and Vader were more important. George had come up with a back story for Han and his stepfather during story conferences with Leigh in late 1977.

Yikes.

jett

D-Member
The story of Han Solo before he was Han Solo, i.e. when he was just some loser. No thanks, bruh.

Han Zero: A Starwar Story

Han Solo doesn't need a mentor. But I guess for the film to work he needs someone to talk with as 2 hours of just Chewie would not be interesting.

Well there's Lando I guess. Two swindling street rats, partners in crime?

And now I assume Han will meet Chewie in this movie for the first time. How Solo Met Chewie, if you will.

Well there's Lando I guess. Two swindling street rats, partners in crime?

And now I assume Han will meet Chewie in this movie for the first time. How Solo Met Chewie, if you will.

they also got to show Lando losing the Falcon in a card game

Han having a mentor doesn't mean that he is actually being mentored in the film. It's just as possible that Harrelson was a mentor before the film begins and they've since had a falling out. Harrelson is probably most likely going to be the antagonist of the film.

Han having a mentor doesn't mean that he is actually being mentored in the film. It's just as possible that Harrelson was a mentor before the film begins and they've since had a falling out. Harrelson is probably most likely going to be the antagonist of the film.

every post-prequel Star Wars film has had a main character lose their father so maybe in this Han loses his mentor because CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

norm9

In this new canon, Han is sensitive to midichlorians.

A tragic experience which results in him losing his mentor will sour him to the idea of the firce, hence his condescending speech about not believing in mystical nonsense years later in New Hope.

Woody Harrellson would come with onscreen baggage. I hope he doesn't get it.

The whole time he is in THG, I just thought yup. Woody Harrelson. See also: now you see me + that one with the earth ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom