• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/03: Argentina vs. Germany, Paraguay vs Spain |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

confuziz

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
A little off-topic:

US numbers...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/soccer/29sandomir.html

Through the first 52 games of the World Cup finals, ESPN averaged 2.86 million viewers per game, and Univision averaged 2.1 million viewers per game.

The US-Ghana game drew 19.4 million viewers (prime time MLB World Series level for a round of 16 game that had no championship implications.) on both ESPN and Univision. The Argentina-Mexico game drew 14.9 million viewers on both ESPN and Univision.

7.9 million people watched Germany vs. England.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/2...illion-viewers-team-usa-ratings-jump-68/55272

In the group stage, the US-England game drew 17.1 million viewers. The US-Slovenia game drew 7.5 million viewers. The US-Algeria game drew 8.6 million viewers.

The NBA is barely getting these ratings in the finals in prime time.

wow, this is great stuff!

womfalcs3 said:
A little off-topic:

US numbers...

Through the first 52 games of the World Cup finals, ESPN averaged 2.86 million viewers per game, and Univision averaged 2.1 million viewers per game.

The US-Ghana game drew 19.4 million viewers (prime time MLB World Series level for a round of 16 game that had no championship implications.) on both ESPN and Univision. The Argentina-Mexico game drew 14.9 million viewers on both ESPN and Univision.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/2...illion-viewers-team-usa-ratings-jump-68/55272

In the group stage, the US-England game drew 17.1 million viewers. The US-Slovenia game drew 7.5 million viewers. The US-Algeria game drew 8.6 million viewers.

ESPN has to be loving it, plus it ain't prime time, it's early morning-late afternoon, ESPN is licking there chops right now for Brazil 2014 because the games will be prime time on the east coast.

Karud said:
It's a phrase of the "Lied der Deutschen", but it's commonly unused, except for some right-winged people/ parties. I you visit Germany some day, or Germans, I recommend not to use it. No offence here, just nice to know, I think.

From wiki, don't know if true but I agree.

i think you even might get in trouble with the law, i think its not allowed to sing that song in public.

Karud

No, it's not forbidden. The "Horst-Wessel-Lied" (I don't even link this piece of shit by the nazis) is prohibited to sing and distribute.

2San

A little late to the party, but oh my did Argentina get trashed? Here I was thinking European countries didn't matter anymore. :lol

thy_

Roude Leiw said:
i think you even might get in trouble with the law, i think its not allowed to sing that song in public.

Karud said:
No, it's not forbidden. The "Horst-Wessel-Lied" (I don't even link this piece of shit by the nazis) is prohibited to sing and distribute.

Guys, I think it gets posted exactly because it is frowned upon in Germany.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
2San said:
A little late to the party, but oh my did Argentina get trashed? Here I was thinking European countries didn't matter anymore. :lol
turns out it's all europe with only uruguay handballing it's way in there!

Everybody bagged europe early due to the spectacular France/Italia implosions with England threatening to fail so hard as well. Germanys 1 loss in the groups also added to this. But then europe proved its class by dominating South Americas greatest hopes.

uruguay is a long shot big time to get passed Netherlands, but that's not impossible, the bookies are calling it about the same odds for Uruguay as NL had against brazil, big underdogs, but magic can happen!

Honestly Germany gonna have a hard time with Spain, not only can they play defense better than the likes of England/Argentina, there Goalie is better than those 2 nations combine.

womfalcs3 said:
A little off-topic:

US numbers...

Makes the US crashing out early all the more depressing. Can you imagine the numbers for USA-Uruguay and if we were lucky enough to advance, USA-Netherlands in the semi's? Epic.

:/

[Nintex]

Spain and Germany will destroy eachother, neither of them will give up easily. The Netherlands will beat Uruguay and face a totally demolished and exhausted Spain or Germany. Do not underestimate the talent that the Dutch seem to have, they can break the other team just look at the way Brazil imploded.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
[Nintex] said:
Spain and Germany will destroy eachother, neither of them will give up easily. The Netherlands will beat Uruguay and face a totally demolished and exhausted Spain or Germany. Do not underestimate the talent that the Dutch seem to have, they can break the other team just look at the way Brazil imploded.
"Imploded" means that there was no external influence.

And there wasn't.

2San

catfish said:
turns out it's all europe with only uruguay handballing it's way in there!

Everybody bagged europe early due to the spectacular France/Italia implosions with England threatening to fail so hard as well. Germanys 1 loss in the groups also added to this. But then europe proved its class by dominating South Americas greatest hopes.

uruguay is a long shot big time to get passed Netherlands, but that's not impossible, the bookies are calling it about the same odds for Uruguay as NL had against brazil, big underdogs, but magic can happen!
Put my money on the Germans from the start they have a lot better roster overall and play as a team better as well. For some reason people like to ignore the players and seem to rate countries based on the country name rather than the players. Ah it's good to be from Europe.

The France and Italy failing wasn't new though(we knew this for years), England wasn't really a shock either(though to be honest how bad they where surprise me).

To be honest the odds books described to the Dutch where amazing, anyone who knows anything about football knew they had equal chances.

Kozak

Banned
2San said:
To be honest the odds books described to the Dutch where amazing, anyone who knows anything about football knew they had equal chances.
:lol

Really?

Brazil are a level above any national team in the world. Netherlands were lucky to grind a result out of that game.

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that Brazil are ALWAYS favourites for any match.

confuziz

Banned
Kozak said:

Really?

Brazil are a level above any national team in the world. Netherlands were lucky to grind a result out of that game.

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that Brazil are ALWAYS favourites for any match.

Yea just not this year if you paid attention to the dutch team. This was an expected result by the nation

2San

Kozak said:

Really?

What...?

So even if Brazil fields a shitty team they are still favorites? Past results don't mean shit if the team changes every time. Do you only watch international football or something? We have a better midfield and our forwards are slightly better as well(I say slightly, because we lack a CF and van Marwijk doesn't want to field Huntelaar so I can't make an assessment, all our forwards next to the CF position are better). Defense of Brazil is a lot better(though playing with 3DM's! helps with that). I'd say Brazil has a better keeper, but Stekelenburg is really really solid.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Kozak said:

Really?

Brazil is always the favourite, but this year had a relatively average-to-good team (you can blame the coach for that).

Haunted

Lightning said:
The only thing good about Uruguay is the luck of the draw they got to even make it this far. They haven't faced any of the best sides, crappy performing France aside who they couldn't even beat I might add, and yet some how these guys have gathered themselves a following that believe these guys can topple the best teams in Europe? Yeah... no I've seen nothing from these guys to even remotely give me anything to worry about.

Uruguay fans should brace themselves for a loss and then another loss in the 3rd/4th play off game and thank your lucky stars that you even achieved that.
Yup. Uruguay had the luck of the draw on their side this time, they're not better than England or Brazil (or Chile and Paraguay, really), and would've lost against these teams or the teams these came up against (Germany, Spain). No doubt in my mind about that.

That said, having the luck of the draw is simply part of the game. You can bemoan it all you want, but in a way they "deserve" to be in the semis because they beat all the opponents which came up against them. And once you're in the semis, it'd be foolish to not want to go through to the end.

Do I think they're massive underdogs and should get trounced easily by the Netherlands if you compare the quality of players available and their respective performances in the knockout stage? Of course.

But that's no guarantee.

jamesinclair said:
As for germany, the turkish dude was shockingly absent this past match. He had been on fire the previous two. Wonder what happened?
Mesut Özil. Don't call him "the turkish dude", it's disrespectful. He's German, German-born, even his parents are German-born. A third-generation German player shouldn't be called "the turkish dude".

As for his play, he was great against England, probably our best man next to Müller and Schweinsteiger.

Against Argentina, he wasn't as prominent on the pitch, but still had a lot of contacts, played good passes (good quota) and most importantly opened up spaces for the other players through his runs without the ball (which is something you rarely see mentioned on TV broadcasts, since eyes are on the ball 100% of the time). Not to forget his assist - a good run and fantastic pinpoint cross to Klose for the 4:0.

CTLance

Yeah, Özil is a bit of a strange player.
At first I thought he sucked*, but once it was pointed out to me how he drags the other team around the place and/or turns up at the perfect place at the perfect time I started to see his value in the team. It's funny, you can't NOT keep an eye on him, but you can't afford to keep too close a watch on him either. Tricky guy. Extremely team-oriented gameplay.

*In my defense, I'm a football noob.

n0n44m

Kozak said:

Really?

What happened was not a total fluke, there was a complete tactical plan behind it. Hell even the first (own) goal we scored was crossed by Sneijder that way because he knew, being a teammate of Julio Cesar, that he was sometimes fumbling those types of inswinging crosses at Inter...

Basically Brazil were just playing football bullies. Big guys in the back kicking the ball away, left and right backs storming the pitch and acting like wingers, and three technical dudes in the front. Power, speed and height everywhere to get it forward, and some nice technical play to score. Effective, but risky as you're bottlenecked by your flow forward. To use those bottlenecks against them a team needs some good wingers to occupy their backs, and good DM's to snuff out Kaka/Robinho ... Ivory Coast and Chile didn't have those, we fortunately did =]

The only part that was really luck was Brazil not scoring more in the first 30 mins, as that was just bad football by the Netherlands. Too nervous, not playing their own game but trying to mimic Brazil's tempo, first goal never should have happened etc =[

For the second half it simply consisted of utilizing Kuyt and Robben to keep their upcoming backs at bay, not let Kaka receive any passes, then make Robinho track an upcoming Van der Wiel and $profit$
(or total meltdown on the Brazil side)
all according to keikaku*

One of the most important parts was that van Bommel and de Jong not only defended well, but distributed the ball as well. The Brazilian DM's became useless when they couldn't reach Kaka/Robinho. Their (irrational?) fear of Robben also helped a lot, just letting him run with the ball around the sideline immediately resulted in 4 of their players bundling up on that side of the pitch...

What was surprising in the 2nd half was that Brazil didn't acknowledge these problems but basically ragequited by going totally mental. Superiority complex combined with some obvious anger-management issues as exhibited by their coach ... it was like watching some team play Champions League football for the first time and freaking out when discovering that their kick and rush tactics don't work against more sophisticated opposition. :|

Apart from that it played out exactly like anyone who had followed the Dutch team's previous games would have predicted. That Brazil didn't respond with some tactical changes to go for an equalizer was not because of our luck but because of their own shortcomings.

No rational analyst would have predicted a Dutch victory on the basis of their expected tactical plan, but anyone should keep in mind that even Brazil just consists of players made of flesh-and-bones :lol held together by some more muscles than most, but football is a tactical game and this was a tactical victory :D

2San

I'm sorry all according to plan? van Marwijk does the same thing every match. The win boiled down to us having world class players that are match winners. To be honest all the space that was created by everyone flocking to Robben was hardly utilized. I somewhat blame Kuyt for not being able to win 1v1. I find the Kuyt love in weird if you want a player that defends and is able to pass the ball up front why not field another DM? He would do everything Kuyt does but better. >_>

n0n44m

2San said:
I'm sorry all according to plan? van Marwijk does the same thing every match. The win boiled down to us having world class players that are match winners. To be honest all the space that was created by everyone flocking to Robben was hardly utilized.

the finishing was fucking weak and I screamed more at the screen during the last 15 mins than during the entire first 45 ...

but yeah they play the same way every match, and as long as the defense-DM part of the strategy works out it gets very hard for opponents to play football against a team like that ... which is why they're still playing that way

the problem with the team is that Van Persie is not in shape to be really dangerous, but Huntelaar is not the type of striker to complement the guys around him (at least not at the start of a match)

Oranje 2008 was awesome when they were on the attack, but go watch a 10 min summary of the NL-France match and gasp at the amount of chances they gave away to the French ....

more than they gave away during all 4 matches before Brazil that's for sure :lol that team would have a hard time against Denmark/Japan as well, and they would get destroyed by this Brazil

Outdoor Miner said:
Makes the US crashing out early all the more depressing. Can you imagine the numbers for USA-Uruguay and if we were lucky enough to advance, USA-Netherlands in the semi's? Epic.

:/
yes USA vs Urugauy would have hot,
I would have preferred seeing a Luis Suarez handball against the Americans...
the reactions would have been gold

n0n44m said:
the problem with the team is that Van Persie is not in shape to be really dangerous, but Huntelaar is not the type of striker to complement the guys around him (at least not at the start of a match)

I wonder if Van Persie would have made use of those huge chances at the end of the game. He is a better player then Huntelaar, I think he would have finally scored.

Let's hope he scores some against Uruguay to get in the spirit for the finals.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
[Nintex] said:

I'm fairly sure that Germany will steamroll Spain. Spain hasn't been impressive at all while Germany is looking great. I doubt Spain will manage to turn their entire team around until then but who knows.

2San

n0n44m said:
the finishing was fucking weak and I screamed more at the screen during the last 15 mins than during the entire first 45 ...

but yeah they play the same way every match, and as long as the defense-DM part of the strategy works out it gets very hard for opponents to play football against a team like that ... which is why they're still playing that way

Oranje 2008 was awesome when they were on the attack, but go watch a 10 min summary of the NL-France match and gasp at the amount of chances they gave away to the French ....

more than they gave away during all 4 matches before Brazil that's for sure :lol that team would have a hard time against Denmark/Japan as well, and they would get destroyed by this Brazil
I'm just of the of the school if we played Elia on left he would win a 1v1 and would have all the space in the world. To create goal. Similar to how Bayern Munich played with Ribery. Robben is like a lightning rod which creates space for the others. Kuyt doesn't have skill to win a 1v1 or the passing game to exploit that space. I'd prefer Hunterlaar over van Persie because we don't need possesion on top. We have a great midfield and wingers to feed him the ball. All RvP did with his possesion on top was lose the ball. >_> You could ofset the instability created by the lack of kuyt by setting up a pure defender as LB.

longdi

Banned
Spain will be a much tougher opponent for Germany, reason being they play like a team! With England you try to play stars/rivals from man-u, man-c, liverpool, chelsea and you get a disjointed team.

With Argentina, over-reliance on messi, 4 centrebacks, 1 midfield, somewhat of team is going to get crush by a real team.

Spain is basically barca midfield off loading to on form villa and a good gk. Granted Spain is 1 dimensional and could be inter'ed by germany, i still feel the laws of the modern game means germany get at best 2 great wins in knockout matches before running out of steam.

my bet on spain to nick it 2-1 or penalties!

n0n44m

2San said:
I find the Kuyt love in weird if you want a player that defends and is able to pass the ball up front why not field another DM? He would do everything Kuyt does but better. >_>

but who would that guy be ? De Zeeuw and Schaars are relatively inexperienced, not physical enough against Maicon, have less stamina and thus would be playing around the middle of the pitch which would have given Maicon plenty of opportunity to race forward

Van der Vaart passes very well but isn't comfortable on that position, which is OK against Japan but not against Brazil

and finally keeping the same team/formation for many games at least gives the players confidence ... I mean hell that goal from the corner was something that had been practiced a lot, with Kuyt and Robben being the key players for that move

I wasn't certain about him during the first games as I never really enjoyed seeing him play, but he is like 2 players in 1 at times. Not 2 very good players, but when used effectively he definitely has his uses :D

2San

n0n44m said:
but who would that guy be ? De Zeeuw and Schaars are relatively inexperienced, not physical enough against Maicon, have less stamina and thus would be playing around the middle of the pitch which would have given Maicon plenty of opportunity to race forward

Van der Vaart passes very well but isn't comfortable on that position, which is OK against Japan but not against Brazil

and finally keeping the same team/formation for many games at least gives the players confidence ... I mean hell that goal from the corner was something that had been practiced a lot, with Kuyt and Robben being the key players for that move

I wasn't certain about him during the first games as I never really enjoyed seeing him play, but he is like 2 players in 1 at times. Not 2 very good players, but when used effectively he definitely has his uses :D
De Zeeuw is proven to be really solid though. You could put the Zeeuw in the back and move Van Bommel(who's great in offense as well) or Nigel up. It's too late for a last minute changes now sure, but I would have hoped that van Marwijk would experiment more. When we had the chance. Kuyt wastes too many chance to be productive in my book. I wouldn't change the formation last minute either. I'm just sad we could be playing more proper football with the talent we have available.

msv

Oh my. When I'm being cocky about Netherland I'm not really serious and kidding/jerking around. But these Brazil supporters here... woah dead serious in their extreme arrogance :lol

n0n44m

2San said:
De Zeeuw is proven to be really solid though. You could put the Zeeuw in the back and move Van Bommel(who's great in offense as well) or Nigel up. It's too late for a last minute changes now sure, but I would have hoped that van Marwijk would experiment more. When we had the chance. Kuyt wastes too many chance to be productive in my book. I wouldn't change the formation last minute either. I'm just sad we could be playing more proper football with the talent we have available.

I also secretly wonder at times how they could improve their game etc, but van Marwijk's real problem here is that when he was experimenting during the friendlies, everything worked out beautifully. Ghana Hungary and even Mexico; the defense was solid except for a few gaffes and nice goals were scored. Van Persie looked to be on fire at times ...

Experimenting now would not be because of the defensive performance of the team, but because we're not lethal/effective enough when attacking. I think van Marwijk fears that if he would try anything drastic, it would change balance in the midfield/defense as well and therefore affect what seems to be our biggest strength yet ...

at least Spain seems to have to same problems as us, and they got to the semi's as well :lol

Wessiej said:
690e94b6_ANP_13073509.jpg

she should cut off that tag, the long rectangular shape of the tag... you can't unsee it

n0n44m

Battersea Power Station said:
Why was Paraguay's goal disallowed? Was it a mistake or was the dude that was offsides somehow involved with the play?

the offside dude clearly jumped for it to head it at goal, he lacked a few centimeters but you couldn't say he was passively offside anymore

Empty

Battersea Power Station said:
Why was Paraguay's goal disallowed? Was it a mistake or was the dude that was offsides somehow involved with the play?

the offside guy, by jumping to head the ball, distracted the keeper and defense allowing valdes to score, so became active in the move, ruling it offside.

2San

n0n44m said:
I also secretly wonder at times how they could improve their game etc, but van Marwijk's real problem here is that when he was experimenting during the friendlies, everything worked out beautifully. Ghana Hungary and even Mexico; the defense was solid except for a few gaffes and nice goals were scored. Van Persie looked to be on fire at times ...

Experimenting now would not be because of the defensive performance of the team, but because we're not lethal/effective enough when attacking. I think van Marwijk fears that if he would try anything drastic, it would change balance in the midfield/defense as well and therefore affect what seems to be our biggest strength yet ...

at least Spain seems to have to same problems as us, and they got to the semi's as well :lol
True, but I'd at least would have liked to see Elia starting with Robben to see how he'd exploit on the space left over on the left(or just Elia playing a full match against Cameroon). Or even RvP on the left(Huntelaar as CF).

n0n44m

2San said:
True, but I'd at least would have liked to see Elia starting with Robben to see how he'd exploit on the space left over on the left(or just Elia playing a full match against Cameroon). Or even RvP on the left(Huntelaar as CF).

What I'm most pissed about with Huntelaar is fucking up that 3 to 1 (+keeper) situation in 92nd minute

he waited for 3 seconds on the sideline to pass it, which was like 2.5 seconds too long, and then he gave it to the right of Robben while everyone and their grandma know that he can only shoot with his left foot

Every hope I had at him performing well as a sub (after his previous stable performances) instantly vaporized ... don't even want to know what would've happened if that last second Alves freekick had been more dangerous =[

2San

n0n44m said:
What I'm most pissed about with Huntelaar is fucking up that 3 to 1 (+keeper) situation in 92nd minute

he waited for 3 seconds on the sideline to pass it, which was like 2.5 seconds too long, and then he gave it to the right of Robben while everyone and their grandma know that he can only shoot with his left foot

Every hope I had at him performing well as a sub (after his previous stable performances) instantly vaporized ... don't even want to know what would've happened if that last second Alves freekick had been more dangerous =[
So he did one thing wrong and he's useless? Football doesn't work that way. If that's the case why is Kuyt still playing considering his amount of fuck ups and losing possession when there are enough options, all because it wasn't a clear chance? Regardless of foot Robben should have been able to make that shot. It was a pretty easy ball to receive. A simple 2 touch goal.

n0n44m

2San said:
So he did one thing wrong and he's useless? Football doesn't work that way.

it was more that he looked like the Huntelaar that didn't get any playing time at Real

the Huntelaar that performed below average during the first weeks of training in Austria

the Huntelaar that hardly got any playing time in the friendlies

I was glad when I heard he was doing well in the training, as he seemed a good option to replace van Persie. His short stints against Japan and Slovakia made me sorta hopeful even

but that chance, and especially the way he fucked it up, with no sense of urgency or whatever ... it just destroyed any hope I had about him doing it better than van Persie :( especially with regards to mutual understanding among his fellow players

it could have been a critical point in the game, and Germany plays out these types of situations with their eyes closed at the moment

and Robben did the two touch thing, except Lucio was there before his second touch ;)

I think they all should just skip the regular training and do afwerk-training only until the final :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom