• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy Demo is out! (PS4/PS Vita)

Teknoman

Wow, I really dislike the UI in this game in both look and feel. Feels like a B-tier Dreamcast JRPG's menu systems. Certainly not what I'd expect from Square Enix who usually has great UI (i.e.: FF XIII series menus).

What about classic? The standard feels too simple yet flashy.

Raybunny

So I was wondering about this game for a while. Played and explored the demo and this is what I got out of it.

Fully aware that it's a demo and might not represent the totality of it. So here we go.

Stacking system is interesting taking into consideration it ties with the stackable's skills.
The chibi characters are somehow cute and they do transpire their originals upon some lines of dialogue.
The combat system directional menu is limited so better go with the classic menu.
Combat felt sluggish but thanks for having the speed option in the menu and the turbo on the bumper.
Sound wise oh boy that breaking glass became torture after 4 or 5 fights.
Dungeon design let's to be desired: empty, rince and repeat, why I can't go into those tents?
The libra and capture system is fun. Go catch them all.
Riding is cool.
All in all without the story the demo felt boring.

My conclusion WoFF showed us a dungeon demo (call it a menu exploration and combat system demo) that does not comply with my standards. Will need to see if story is good.

DSix

Banned
Oh man that was genuinely trash. I love the classics but this looks and plays very bad and definitely not on the level.

This demo is gonna save so many people time and money, I guess someone at Square knew it and released it to avoid a huge backlash from gamers who would've bought it otherwise.

Game feels slow and kinda budget releasey or maybe like it would've been awesome as a DS game a couple years ago. I guess if I had a Vita I'd be excited for it but I don't so I'll probably hold off for awhile.

Thoraxes

Caught Ifreeta and called it a night. The demo was quite enjoyable, and the upgrade paths, types, and form upgrades for each of the monsters were really enjoyable to play with. The unbalance mechanic added a neat flair to battle and monster capturing too. Definitely looking forward to the full game a lot more now.

And phenomenal music as expected of the master.

Generally like FF and cute stuff but this can probably wait until next year.

Might have been good for them to include a "story mode" option like similar demos have recently.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Just finished the demo and went straight away to bestbuy.com to put in my preorder. I need a light JRPG like this in my life right now. Very glad there will be Japanese VO, because the English was nauseating.

HotHamBoy

Just finished the demo and went straight away to bestbuy.com to put in my preorder. I need a light JRPG like this in my life right now. Very glad there will be Japanese VO, because the English was nauseating.

Out of curiosity, why preorder?

I don't get preordering unless it's ultra limited, you are pre-loading or there is a really good preorder bonus.

Vivi spoke?! What is this blasphemy? It was actually kinda cute, so I'll excuse it.

Actually thought it was fun. It's a game in a subgenre that barely exists anymore. And is it a bunch of fan service? Duh! But this looks like one last effort at a turn-based game to see if anyone can be conned into buying them again. Highly considering a play on classic battle with no voiceovers for as much as a traditional feel as possible. Once more! Need to brush up on my FF3-5 characters, though.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

I don't get preordering unless it's ultra limited, you are pre-loading or there is a really good preorder bonus.

Because I played the demo through, seen the various trailers and have determined that I'll like the game. Oh, and there's a Limited Edition version and a standard both releasing on day one for $60, so I'd rather get it locked in now for the LE and mini art book just in case it does end up being limited.

N° 2048

Price match guarantee. I got Xenoblade X Wii U for $15 lol because I pre-ordered and there was a glitch... Amazon.ca had to honor that price.

You get a Sephiroth champion. Pre-order validated.

Is there ANY point to going into chibi form in battle? The big form gives you an extra character with extra abilities and extra health. You could argue chibi form is less prone to topple, but that never happened to me even once in the demo.
???

You can enter battle in chibi form and have the same number of mirages with you as you would in large form. Did you capture the Behemoth and/or Fenrir and put those in the Large sections of your stacks?

ZangBa

Gameplay seemed interesting, everything else was wack. The ending trailer was quite possibly the most cringeworthy trailer I've ever witnessed, completely souring the whole demo.

Lucreto

Love the classic turn based random battles with the active time battle mechanic.

It's like putting on those comfy old slippers you haven't worn in a while.

I never used the speed up button and I don't plan to as the game is at a perfect speed.

I think people have become too impatient with the rise of action RPG's.

Behemoth random fight pops up near end before save point. Was fun to ride with Behemoth instead Chocobo :p.

They actually pop up all over the demo. I remember getting mine in the first area.

How did I miss this? Where did you find him?
I'll spoiler tag how to imprism one, in case you don't wanna waste a libra

You'll want to kill one off, then work on getting the other's HP down before you can imprism it.

Had a go on this last night and this really does seem like one of those demos that'll actually reduce overall sales of the game. You get to try a segment of game that offers a good enough feel of how it's like to play and it's enough that if you didn't think it's any good you won't be coming back.

It's a harmless game but it just feels so pedestrian and unambitious, and the sort of thing that you'll forget exists in a few years' time.

The visual design is interesting but ultimately the sheer amount of effects work courtesy of Silicon Studios' post-processing middleware actually makes the game look less distinctive and unique despite it unique character designs.

Wow, I really dislike the UI in this game in both look and feel. Feels like a B-tier Dreamcast JRPG's menu systems. Certainly not what I'd expect from Square Enix who usually has great UI (i.e.: FF XIII series menus).

Yeah, it's symbolic of the game: pedestrian in nearly every way.

HeelPower

Random screen breaking encounters are dated & unfun,especially with the insane load times here.

Really sluggish game in large part due to Low framerate and loading.(which I have no idea why this the case considering the visuals)

Was wondering between this & DQ Builders but I think builders is a lot better.

DQ Builders runs better,has a better artstyle,smoother, more interesting & original mechanics.

Interesting that a DQ game got the bigger budget this time around.

fionel

As soon as I saw the TOSE logo I was like oh no I hope this doesn't play like some half-assed port. After playing through the demo it seems like my fears are more or less confirmed :(

jb1234

Played through the demo a second time. It's just so safe and dull. Something tells me the only thing people are going to remember from this game in a few years time is the soundtrack.

Ferr986

Gameplay seemed interesting, everything else was wack. The ending trailer was quite possibly the most cringeworthy trailer I've ever witnessed, completely souring the whole demo.

Yeah that trailer had too much "drama" that clash with the overall aesthetics of the game. Felt like one of those games that, even if lighthearted at first, ends up taking itself too seriously, but it's not fair to judge a game for a trailer, I guess.

Wish the demo had some actual dialog.

For this magiteck unlock am i supposed to get some kind of message to say i unlocked it? I finished the demo and didnt see anything saying about it

RocknRola

It's an okay game from what I could experience from the demo. Seems they're betting all their chips in a cute look (which does look very charming IMO) and a Pokemon-like feature (which I feel is actually pretty well implemented).

Though the combat can probably really get more complex by the later stages of the game (if they want it to) what was in the demo was far too "simplistic" and kinda boring to convince me to buy this day 1. Definitely one of those I'll buy/play when it's cheaper though. Kinda the opposite effect of DragonQuest Builders for me really, in which the demo convinced me to get it.

Evilmaus

It's interesting how divisive this demo is turning out to be. I've seen people cancel pre-orders, while others are now insisting it's a day-one purchase.

I think this demo is definitely bare-bones, and as it's showing off a dungeon that isn't actually in the final game, I like to think that's why it's leaving a bit to be desired, but overall, I find the fundamentals behind the mechanics to be enjoyable, I have a lot of nostalgia for FF to work off, and as I grew up with classic JRPG's I don't mind slower systems and random encounters.

It's a day-one purchase for me. I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyone know when the reviews are due out? I'll be really interested to see if critics' opinions are as diverse as some people's here.

Played the demo.

I don't understand what's the fuss is all about. It's your average turn based JRPG with one fatal flaw. Game is only playable with R1 held down, and even then some animations are still too slow.

Seriously, ff9 could get away with being this slow because it's old. And even then, when re-released, it had a speed up function.

TL;DR animations are too slow, makes every battle feel like it's dragging on.

BadWolf

Played through the demo a second time. It's just so safe and dull. Something tells me the only thing people are going to remember from this game in a few years time is the soundtrack.

Iirc they mentioned something about this being geared towards a younger/new audience to get them into the series.

This seems to be showing through everything so far, from the characters/story to the gameplay.

I thought the demo was fine, if a bit bare (in that it basically only tells you whether you'll enjoy the core combat and growth systems). What's there is enjoyable, but if the full game features dungeons that are as boring and empty, that'll drag this whole thing down significantly.

It really continues to feel to me like an FF game designed by a B-tier JRPG developer. It's not a bad thing, and I'm sure it'll fill in the time before FFXV just fine, but I don't expect to ever be thinking about it once I finish it.

poncle

Pacing, loading times, and frame rate killed it for me on Vita.
Also really disappointed by the bland battle effects, heck even FFExplorers had better ones.

wilstreak

I really like the concept and maybe a little bit of Nostalgia, but after trying the demo, maybe i will hold off from buying day 1.

Battle is really slow and boring. Gonna buy it when it is on sale though.
Graphic and animation quality is good and colorful in PS4, not that it is surprising.

Beartruck

You get a Sephiroth champion. Pre-order validated.

???

You can enter battle in chibi form and have the same number of mirages with you as you would in large form. Did you capture the Behemoth and/or Fenrir and put those in the Large sections of your stacks?
I literally never fought either of those 2 monsters in my playtime in the demo. That explains a lot.

And here I thought SE learned to make demos after playing the Dragon Quest Builders one. With no story and a very bland map this demo did more harm than good. I liked the battle system and it has a lot of potential with the Pokeman style but the demo could have been better.

Exentryk

Some tips on stacking/unstacking/toppling:
- Unstacking, Stacking, and Defending pushes you slightly down the turn bar, but doesn't make you completely restart your turn.
- When the enemy is far enough away from taking a turn, it is efficient to unstack, take a couple of turns, and re-stack with the third turn.
- When enemies are taking their turns, you'd want to be in stacked form to spread out and reduce damage.
- When charging for a turn, it is better to be stacked as you have higher agility.
- Toppling enemies means their individual resistances are lower, and thus are weaker to certain attacks or ailments, so make sure to Libra check individual members of the enemy stack too.
- Toppling an enemy while they are further up the turn is better than if they are just starting their turns. Use defend/unstack/restack to adjust accordingly.

Here is the demo boss being beaten efficiently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gej5y1f099s

I enjoyed the demo a lot and the stacking system is interesting.

It annoys me so much though I have to manually change to classic each turn as there is no way to lock it in place. The basic menu is just awful....

ZeroX03

Banned
Not a great demo. Will reconsider if it gets good reviews, maybe this is just a sucky showing but yeah doesn't surprise me that SE put out something out like this. Uninspired, low budget, weaker clone of a popular genre.

Performance on PS4 is pretty bad. Like for a game that looked like a PS4 title, it'd be perfectly fine. But this is a Vita port.

zarnold56

I enjoyed the demo a lot and the stacking system is interesting.

It annoys me so much though I have to manually change to classic each turn as there is no way to lock it in place. The basic menu is just awful....

You are able to change the battle menu to classic in the games options. Worked way better for me that way.

-NeoTB1-

Demo was fun. It was definitely barebones, though. I can see why this would do little to attract people who are on the fence.

My pros:
-Imprism and stacking. I can see how this would lead to some interesting strategies in certain battles.
-Music. Love it and totally fits the look and feel of the game.
-FF npc's/monsters/characters/items/abilities. It lives up to my idea of an ultimate Final Fantasy fan-service game.
-Ultimate (or whatever it's called) abilities. Of course, we only get the one in the demo, but it was cool and I bet the others will hit the right nostalgia notes for fans.

My cons:
-Art. I don't care much for the Chibi and "KH" style. The former is more tolerable than the latter though, surprisingly.
-Battle menu. It's awful. I immediately switched to the classic one.

The battle speed didn't bother me much, but I can definitely see how this would annoy people. I moved the speed to 5 and it was good enough. All in all, I liked the demo and will most likely keep my pre-order.

BadWolf

The more I think about it while sitting here at work the closer I'm getting to cancelling the pre-order after trying the demo yesterday :/

So I played the demo first on wait mode (by default, like anyone else), and then after I played on Active mode, so I would want to give my impression after having played both.

Wait mode : By default, you get that + normal battle speed when you start the demo. My time with the combat system was fairly easy. I could take whatever the time to think about my strategy, although they were simplistic choices, I had all the time to focus on what to attack/cast next. Overall, it was ridiculously slow and easy. It let a bitter taste in my mouth when I finished the demo (like, was I the target audience or what?). The battle UI was different but interesting, although I liked to be able to use shortcuts to cast spells and abilities quickly (that you can define in the main menu beforehand)

Active mode : Now, what I did is that I went straight away in the option menu from the main menu and I selected : Battle speed - 5, Active Mode and Classic UI and I started the demo. Now, the experience changed a lot for me (and in a good way), not only because the battle UI was far more enjoyable to browse, but because the monsters didn't wait for their turn to attack me, like a real ATB system. I can say that at the beginning, I struggled a lot in front of those tonberries and mandragora, just because you need to think quickly before getting attacked from all corner by Knife Tonberry's OP attack. I sensed overall that this batte mode + fast battle speed is the way to go if you want a fairly challenging experience in the full game.

On the other hand, you need to think about why it was set on wait mode by default : You guessed it, WoFF is targeting a younger audience who wants to be introduced to Final Fantasy, so actually a casual market first and foremost. So if I would give anyone here who are not feeling it right now or would want to try this demo for the first time, give yourself a treat, and start the game in Active mode + fastest battle speed + UI Classic mode.

Top Bottom