• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy Demo is out! (PS4/PS Vita)

ramyeon

You select heal for moogle, then you go left, it will go to select the enemies list.

You can't see anything on fenrir because he has a mirage on top of his head. You need to make them fall first, then you can libra him.
You can use Libra to see the conditions before toppling them. Just need to use L1/R1 to toggle between them. Need to topple to imprisim them though.

Really enjoyed the demo.

The combat was fun and the Stacking mechanic is pretty interesting and kind of hilarious. Playing on Active Mode with the combat speed maxed made the final battle pretty stressful. (I was a dope and didn't have any uses of the Tidus summon left)

I really dig the chibi-style they're going for with the characters though I don't really like the "Jiant" form for the characters. I'm a big fan of Nomura's art-style but it just seems weird to me for this game. I will chime in with other people and say I don't like the writing/voice acting that much. From the little they've shown in trailers and in this game it's too "Saturday Morning Cartoon" for me. To be fair that IS what they're going for by targeting small kids but it doesn't make me want to strangle the character that adds "the" to everything any less. I'm sure I'll get over it or just switch the Japanese audio.

I also really appreciate when turn-based RPGs like this respect your time. You can just fast forward combat with R1 and even initiate Auto-Battle. This kind of stuff makes grinding out levels a lot more convinient and just makes sense. I wasn't that big of a fan of Tokyo Mirage's battles being so lengthy.

So yeah, I'm Day 1 on this. Excited to have a charming JRPG to play while waiting for FFXV!

Hexer06

I enjoyed the demo for what it was. Gave me a taste of the battle and Mirage system. I'm getting this Day One already, and this demo didn't even make me think about cancelling. I'm pretty excited for it, and it's coming soon! :D

Krammy

Thought I'd seen and caught everything there was in the demo, with Behemoth, Bomb, Chocochick, Fenfir, Moogle, Mandragora and Tonberry, when all of a sudden Ahriman showed up with some bats!

worldoffinalfantasydu73pad.png

I was able to get it into imprism status, but after 6 or 7 attempts, it still wouldn't catch. Is it possible in the demo?

EDIT: I see on Page 6 that someone mentioned having it in their team, so I guess that answers my question. Hopefully I see it again!

Thought I'd seen and caught everything there was in the demo, with Behemoth, Bomb, Chocochick, Fenfir, Moogle, Mandragora and Tonberry, when all of a sudden Ahriman showed up with some bats!

I was able to get it into imprism status, but after 6 or 7 attempts, it still wouldn't catch. Is it possible in the demo?

EDIT: I see on Page 6 that someone mentioned having it in their team, so I guess that answers my question. Hopefully I see it again!

I was able to get it pretty easily. Just knocked it's health down to about 15-20% and Imprism worked on the first try.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I finished the demo last night.

Game was pretty but requires a lot of menu organization. I have a feeling I'll be spending quite some time tinkering the Mirage stats in the menu.

Your monster inventory wasn't full, was it? Had this happen but it's because I had no space on my team.

Your monster inventory wasn't full, was it? Had this happen but it's because I had no space on my team.

You can capture monsters even if your inventory is full. You get the option to switch the mirage you captured out with one in your inventory or send it into WoFF's version of Pokemon's PC.

Rainy

Banned
So just finished the demo. Seems kinda fun but the battles seem a bit slow for my taste. The stacking mechanic is pretty interesting, was kind of weird that they didn't really explain how to do it at all in the demo but yeah.

What's really the purpose between switching between chibi and the bigger forms? What purpose does that serve?

Exentryk

What's really the purpose between switching between chibi and the bigger forms? What purpose does that serve?

Being in chibi (M) means you can use Large (L) mirages. You might have captured a nice powerful Behemoth or Malboro or whatever, but if you want to use it, you have to be in chibi (M) form. Being in large (L) form means you can use Medium (M) mirages like Tonberry, Chocobo, etc. It's all about optimising your stack setups with different mirages and different abilities. Remember that if two members have Fire, the ability gets upgraded to Fira... and so on.

Rainy

Banned
Being in chibi (M) means you can use Large (L) mirages. You might have captured a nice powerful Behemoth or Malboro or whatever, but if you want to use it, you have to be in chibi (M) form. Being in large (L) form means you can use Medium (M) mirages like Tonberry, Chocobo, etc. It's all about optimising your stack setups with different mirages and different abilities. Remember that if two members have Fire, the ability gets upgraded to Fira... and so on.

Oh yeah I realized that and did equip them like that. Didn't know about the bolded though, that's cool. I guess just in terms of the story. Of course you wouldn't know, but I wonder how they're gonna explain that.

Also in terms of stacking the large monsters, noticed the Behemoth stack already has a "Good" stability while Ahriman started off as "Weak," you improve stability by just leveling it up on the sphere-grid like structure right?

Exentryk

Also in terms of stacking the large monsters, noticed the Behemoth stack already has a "Good" stability while Ahriman started off as "Weak," you improve stability by just leveling it up on the sphere-grid like structure right?

Yeah, not sure about how stability works as of yet. A weight combination of 2, 4, 7 resulted is GOOD stability, but a weight combination of 2, 3, 6 resulted in WEAK stability. Mirages might have an innate stability stat not visible to us perhaps? We'll find out once the game releases.

Quocia

Neo Member
Yes. Actually i wished in this game, the character voices was completeply muted. The voices are so forced high pitch it makes me want to punch my ears. I wonder how the japanese voices are compared to the english ones.

My main PSN account being japanese, I downloaded the japanese demo.
I thought voices were ok but I wish the two main mirage spoke less. The one who was explaining everything kept talking and had this high-pitched, childish voice we usually have in anime.Vivi actualy had a similar one.

As for other characters, it was their original voice I think. Other than Vivi, only Squall surprised me because he had a really grave voice but it worked for him.

Yeah, not sure about how stability works as of yet. A weight combination of 2, 4, 7 resulted is GOOD stability, but a weight combination of 2, 3, 6 resulted in WEAK stability. Mirages might have an innate stability stat not visible to us perhaps? We'll find out once the game releases.

Sphere-grid and mirage customization is what sold me the game.
Now I just hope we won't all end up having the same team of mirage, with the most iconic character in it.

ethomaz

Banned
Loved the battle system.

- The Basic menu is only a pre-configurable shortcuts to most used skills and to be fair the Classic menu is where you can do strategy with everything you have.
- Battle are faster than old FFs and the fast forward makes it even faster.
- You have 3 type of monster to use S (small), M (Medium) and L (Large)... each party member is formed by a group where you can mix a S, M and L monster like a pyramid (L in bottom and S in top)... your party member is M or S in chibi form and M or L in normal form (you have two battle setthings each one with it own monsters).
- Each party member can play combined in pyramid with everything combined (HP, power, etc) with one turn for the party member or split in 3 monster with 3 turns per party member (the damage is splinted too).
- Each monster has 2-5 variations that you can chance in save spots after unlock it.
- The upgrade grid is cool and you can unlock abilities, monster variation or increase stats fro each monster variation... you can add custom abilities so it heavy customizable.
- Party members can be equipes with abilities learned from the monsters.
- You can uses Champions (Summons) in battle that are the old FF characters and it is super cool.
-You can ride monsters on map too after inlock this upgrade for this mosters but in the demo I just found monster big enough to ride with chibi form.
- You choose the form you want to battle in the map before enter in the battle.
- If you have the same ability in two mosters (one can be the party member) you have a upgraded version of the ability like Cure > Curaga.

I can't say how much I loved the battle system... the monster collection is great.

I did not like the fixed camera that moves wherever you change to a new location... it could allow you use the camera freely.

Haaaaa the battle system is a charm.

wvnative

This game isn't for me... Hate pokemon type stuff and I found the UI confusing and everything is so kiddy... I don't mind that type of stuff usually but it just seems too much.

I was excited for this one too...

Oh well, XV will give me that fill.

ethomaz

Banned
This game isn't for me... Hate pokemon type stuff and I found the UI confusing and everything is so kiddy... I don't mind that type of stuff usually but it just seems too much.

I was excited for this one too...

Oh well, XV will give me that fill.
I found the menus simples on the go... I played 30 minutes up to the first save point and get how the battle/mirage system works.

It is like old FFs menus.

I found the level of customizations awesome... I was expecting way simpler.

Demo is legit. Had a blast with it. There is a part of the world song that is Xenogears-esque. Sounds like the Thames song. Good to copy from the best but it is quite distracting cuz Im thinking Xenogears everytime it plays.

Only thing that truly annoyed me is the character who says "The---" 3 different times.

Z3M0G

So are there spells or abilities that take time to cast?

If not, I see no reason for the wait time between turns while using "Wait" mode... There should be a Wait/Instant option... unless there is cast time for some things which affect strategy.

Even on highest battle speed, I find myself holding R1 needlessly just to move things along quicker...

Edit: And is there no way to access spells / abilities from Basic menu without switching to Classic menu? Really?

Thought the demo was okay, but unfortunately since Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland has been translated into English for 3DS, it'll not be being picked up until I'm done with that.

ethomaz

Banned

If not, I see no reason for the wait time between turns while using "Wait" mode... There should be a Wait/Instant option... unless there is cast time for some things which affect strategy.

Even on highest battle speed, I find myself holding R1 needlessly just to move things along quicker...

Edit: And is there no way to access spells / abilities from Basic menu without switching to Classic menu? Really?
For example in Wait the ATB stops but in resume for exemple if you cast a Champion that takes 30 seconds the ATP will run to everything reaching it turn before the cast ends... so everybody will be at the top of the bar ready to action.... while in wait the place is the bar are maintained until the cast ends.

Basic menu is only a shortcut to access commands directally and it is configurable... so you just need to put the spells / abilities in one direction/button and you will have it.... btw it come configured to left direction but I don't remember the button.

You have 4 directions and 4 buttons... so you can have at max 16 shortcuts configured in Basic Menu.

For example in Wait the ATB stops but in resume for exemple if you cast a Champion that takes 30 seconds the ATP will run to everything reaching it turn before the cast ends... so everybody will be at the top of the bar ready to action.... while in wait the place is the bar are maintained until the cast ends.

Basic menu is only a shortcut to access commands directally and it is configurable... so you just need to put the spells / abilities in one direction/button and you will have it.... btw it come configured to left direction but I don't remember the button.

You have 4 directions and 4 buttons... so you can have at max 16 shortcuts configured in Basic Menu.

While I find the game sluggish even when everything is turned up full speed (I think this is a feature of the delay between inputting a command, your little character's making their move, and then seeing the effect on the enemy), I do agree that the control issues WON'T be issues in the final version. It won't be hard to learn w/ a proper tutorial, and the shortcut approach could be nice.

I think, sluggishness aside, the battle system will be fairly interesting/rewarding.

If only everything else (presentation/narrative/characters) weren't so grating :-(

Battles are a little slow but that's solved by increasing the battle speed. I get the whole Ni No Kuni aspect and understand the appeal of the stacking mechanic.

Unfortunately I am not a fan of the chibis. Usually the art style isn't a main gripe in games but in this case it really is, sadly. It's my problem, not the game's. The regular sized characters are completely fine though so I ignored the other forms mostly (only tried out Behemoth).

Would probably pick it up for 15$ down the road.

Alucrid

Banned
uhhhh is the whole "the-*insert noun*" supposed to be a cute tic of that fox thing? because i don't think i can take a whole game of that, it's not endearing like kupo is.

Quocia

Neo Member
In japanese, she says "nanodesu" at the end of each sentence.
It doesn't mean anything in particular and it's supposed to make her sounds cute or recognizable.

Sometimes they try to translate these things, as in Star Ocean 4 and the "m'kay" thing. It just doesn't work in other languages.

ZeroX03

Banned
Okay after taking the time to learn the mechanics, I like the gameplay a lot more. Would normally just wait on a price drop, but that pre order stuff...

zoukka

Wow this demo bored me to sleep. I pretty much knew it just by watching videos of it, but my god the UI is slow, cumbersome and the battles braindead.

And the game looks bad.

Dark_castle

Why is it that a game from 1997 could have characters actually being animated to step forward to physically attack a target and yet a 2016 console game could not?

Lazy? Lack of budget? Dumb design decision?

Ray Down

Banned
Why is it that a game from 1997 could have characters actually being animated to step forward to physically attack a target and yet a 2016 console game could not?

It's all 3!

But yeah the attacks in this game lack impact/looks like it lacks it.

Haganeren

The dungeon was kinda tedious with all those battle without anything interesting going on and the UI was really confusing for me too. (Hopefully, there is the "classic" version of it)

But i love the visuals, to bad this game seems to be more about past Final Fantasy games than something new, i realise now that it's a bit disappointing since i love mid budget RPG so much.

Interesting but not day one for me.

I've been pleasantly surprised by all the various specific ability animations for the various creatures, they all seem to be unique. That being said, not doing a basic attack animation is a bit disappointing.

Teknoman

So if I would give anyone here who are not feeling it right now or would want to try this demo for the first time, give yourself a treat, and start the game in Active mode + fastest battle speed + UI Classic mode.

Bingo.

The dungeon was kinda tedious with all those battle without anything interesting going on and the UI was really confusing for me too. (Hopefully, there is the "classic" version of it).

There is.

Demo is legit. Had a blast with it. There is a part of the world song that is Xenogears-esque. Sounds like the Thames song. Good to copy from the best but it is quite distracting cuz Im thinking Xenogears everytime it plays.

Only thing that truly annoyed me is the character who says "The---" 3 different times.

Wow, I see what you mean. I was getting a Mt. Ordeals / 16 bit RPG mountain dungeon theme from it, but I guess the drum part does sound like "The man of the sea" heh.

Laws00

I hope they come out with a strat guide for this game

I weakened Ifreeta enough t try to capture her but it failed and then i was unable to capture her again

Cockatrice have not been able to weaken enough to capture

When you topple somebody, or paralyze them, they will skip their turn by not moving on the waiting list, then they will start to go at a slower speed. I saw also circumstances were some party members, when toppled, were going faster on the wait list, or even passing by enemies who were initially going to attack first.

I dunno if I can try to make a fair comparison, but for me, it looked like each party members/enemies have a proper ATB bar (just like in IX for example), but that ATB was just meant to be in one centralized waiting list with everyone else.

The dungeon was kinda tedious with all those battle without anything interesting going on and the UI was really confusing for me too. (Hopefully, there is the "classic" version of it)

But i love the visuals, to bad this game seems to be more about past Final Fantasy games than something new, i realise now that it's a bit disappointing since i love mid budget RPG so much.

Interesting but not day one for me.

If you hit L1 (I think) when in battle and the menu changes to classic. Though you seemingly have to do this every time it's your go (unless there's an option to turn this on by default).

Loved the battle system.

- The Basic menu is only a pre-configurable shortcuts to most used skills and to be fair the Classic menu is where you can do strategy with everything you have.
- Battle are faster than old FFs and the fast forward makes it even faster.
- You have 3 type of monster to use S (small), M (Medium) and L (Large)... each party member is formed by a group where you can mix a S, M and L monster like a pyramid (L in bottom and S in top)... your party member is M or S in chibi form and M or L in normal form (you have two battle setthings each one with it own monsters).
- Each party member can play combined in pyramid with everything combined (HP, power, etc) with one turn for the party member or split in 3 monster with 3 turns per party member (the damage is splinted too).
- Each monster has 2-5 variations that you can chance in save spots after unlock it.
- The upgrade grid is cool and you can unlock abilities, monster variation or increase stats fro each monster variation... you can add custom abilities so it heavy customizable.
- Party members can be equipes with abilities learned from the monsters.
- You can uses Champions (Summons) in battle that are the old FF characters and it is super cool.
-You can ride monsters on map too after inlock this upgrade for this mosters but in the demo I just found monster big enough to ride with chibi form.
- You choose the form you want to battle in the map before enter in the battle.
- If you have the same ability in two mosters (one can be the party member) you have a upgraded version of the ability like Cure > Curaga.

I can't say how much I loved the battle system... the monster collection is great.

I did not like the fixed camera that moves wherever you change to a new location... it could allow you use the camera freely.

Haaaaa the battle system is a charm.

Nice summary of the battle system. Didn't get to tinker with much on my demo playthrough as I wanted to save most of it for the game's release. But it all sounds rather cool.

JoeNut

Considering this, but don't understand why they're releasing it so close to FFXV - seems odd but i suppose it wasn't planned that way with the delays to XV

Considering this, but don't understand why they're releasing it so close to FFXV - seems odd but i suppose it wasn't planned that way with the delays to XV

Well, the two games aren't really aimed at the same audience. Even here on GAF you constantly see people saying that they are looking forward to either one or the other so much more than the other, lol.

Top Bottom