• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy Demo is out! (PS4/PS Vita)

I'm beyond excited for this game. I feel like a bunch of people who were never pre ordering it are just nitpicking to justify no purchase. It's gonna be a great games guys.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
My pre-order copy will take like a week to get to me after release (after 28th Oct). And I see all these people already have the game >_>

And I'm saying you and him are wrong when using that logic. I explained how turn bar has a purpose. This purpose is the same regardless of the battle mode (Active, Wait). The changing decisions and tactics based on who will win the turn stay the same regardless of Active or Wait mode. The battle mode is just preferences.
Wut. We are agreeing on the bolded. So why make the player wait for the bar to fill in wait mode? Just skip to the next turn.

Exentryk

I'm glad they're giving us the option to turn off the voices. Might be worth doing a playthrough without voices for that classic FF feel. One of the videos I saw that had the voices off felt quite nice actually.

Having said that, we'd miss out on some funny aspects like hearing a deep voice coming from a chibi Squall, and so on. Definitely going English voices for a start.

So why make the player wait for the bar to fill in wait mode? Just skip to the next turn.

Because turn bar is important. I already explained that below. For some reason you seem to believe that being in wait mode means the turn bar is not important. If you want to say the turn bar is not important, then why should it even exist for Active mode?

Players move along the turn bar based on their Agility. There are also other mechanics that put the player along middle or 70% of the turn bar, and then they race to the top to see who wins the turn. Your tactics change based on if you would win a turn or not.

Shuusui

Both PS4 and Vita Day One Editions include the Japanese VO DLC. Vita digital version is marked as a bundle for that reason, despite no mention in the actual listing.

Retail, it will be a code inside:

Thanks for confirming.

No way I can pre-order it on VITA yet, though.

Having said that, we'd miss out on some funny aspects like hearing a deep voice coming from a chibi Squall, and so on. Definitely going English voices for a start.

Along with gruff Chibi!Squall, Steve Burton's voice coming of Chibi!Cloud is the funniest thing ever. On the other hand, Jouji Nakata's voicing a Tonberry is equally amazing. I might have to flick back and forth between language tracks.

N° 2048

I didn't mind any voices too much but holy hell Tama.

Who the-thought it was the-smart to the-make that decision?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Because turn bar is important. I already explained that below. For some reason you seem to believe that being in wait mode means the turn bar is not important. If you want to say the turn bar is not important, then why should it even exist for Active mode?
... Let me explain from the top one more time.

Given this turn bar:
| <- Monster
|
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann

What happens? Monster goes, then he moves to the bottom:
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann
|
| <- Monster

Reynn and Lann get to go. In ATB, if you take too long to decide on a turn, Monster A may get another turn:
| <- Monster, Reynn, Lann

This is why waiting for the bar to fill is important, but only in ATB. Following? Assuming this doesn't happen, so go back to the previous scenario:
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann
|
| <- Monster

Maybe Reynn uses a move that lets her act again 70% faster (as per your example of why waiting for the bar is essential):
| <- Lann
| <- Reynn
|
| <- Monster

Now, do you see how I've kept leaving an empty space open? This is important in ATB because decisions take time. That empty buffer is essential because I have some time to think about Reynn's move. In Wait, decisions take 0 time. So what is the point of the empty space? Why not simplify to:
| <- Lann
| <- Reynn
| <- Monster

Now suppose Lann also uses a move that's 90% faster to recharge. She can just insert herself between Reynn and the monster's turns. Now the bar can look like:
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann
| <- Monster

There is no scenario where waiting for the bar to fill in Wait Mode affects anything. Decisions take 0 time, so empty space is meaningless. It should be compressed like I've done and then just skip from turn to turn. This is not my opinion. It's pretty simple to think about.

EDIT: I thought about it some more. There is one scenario where you are right. Take the last bar. If the Monster is grossly faster than Lann, the Monster could overtake Lann and go after Reynn. If we had to wait for bars to fill up, this bit of uncertainty could force you to make a nonoptimal move for Reynn vs a skip mode like I suggest where you would knowledge beforehand that the Monster would go second. I suppose there is a small amount of "skill" involved to just keep track of who is faster than whom. But in more casual game where the default control scheme doesn't even let you target enemies, I think this is a fine trade-off for not sitting around waiting for bars to fill, considering the battle speed is the #1 complaint I've seen in this thread. Besides, how often will this rare situation even happen?

Its like pokemon evolution. You change from a Chocochick to a Chocobo, so yes you go to a small to medium. You can also change back and forth between them.

No you can't do it the demo.
You can do it in the demo actually, in the Prism Case menu at the save point.

There are five monster who can evolve/devolve in the demo, the rest are locked.

ethomaz

Banned
... Let me explain from the top one more time.

Given this turn bar:
| <- Monster
|
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann

What happens? Monster goes, then he moves to the bottom:
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann
|
| <- Monster

Reynn and Lann get to go. In ATB, if you take too long to decide on a turn, Monster A may get another turn:
| <- Monster, Reynn, Lann

This is why waiting for the bar to fill is important, but only in ATB. Following? Assuming this doesn't happen, so go back to the previous scenario:
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann
|
| <- Monster

Maybe Reynn uses a move that lets her act again 70% faster (as per your example of why waiting for the bar is essential):
| <- Lann
| <- Reynn
|
| <- Monster

Now, do you see how I've kept leaving an empty space open? This is important in ATB because decisions take time. That empty buffer is essential because I have some time to think about Reynn's move. In Wait, decisions take 0 time. So what is the point of the empty space? Why not simplify to:
| <- Lann
| <- Reynn
| <- Monster

Now suppose Lann also uses a move that's 90% faster to recharge. She can just insert herself between Reynn and the monster's turns. Now the bar can look like:
| <- Reynn
| <- Lann
| <- Monster

There is no scenario where waiting for the bar to fill in Wait Mode affects anything. Decisions take 0 time, so empty space is meaningless. It should be compressed like I've done and then just skip from turn to turn. This is not my opinion. It's pretty simple to think about.

EDIT: I thought about it some more. There is one scenario where you are right. Take the last bar. If the Monster is grossly faster than Lann, the Monster could overtake Lann and go after Reynn. If we had to wait for bars to fill up, this bit of uncertainty could force you to make a nonoptimal move for Reynn vs a skip mode like I suggest where you would knowledge beforehand that the Monster would go second. I suppose there is a small amount of "skill" involved to just keep track of who is faster than whom. But in more casual game where the default control scheme doesn't even let you target enemies, I think this is a fine trade-off for not sitting around waiting for bars to fill, considering the battle speed is the #1 complaint I've seen in this thread. Besides, how often will this rare situation even happen?
I don't know what you are trying to say but even in Wait mode I had my character having two turns before monster and the opposite the monster having two turns before my characters... in the demo alone and I'm sure more complex monster with speeds spells will change even more the turn sequence created by the ATP time bar in the final game.

Wait makes a lot of sense because even outside the Wait time (menus) the turn is generated dynamically based in actual speed of each char/monster and the spaces matter a lot to animate you run to reach the turn with your speed.

Maybe you want to just have the turn showing the names without a running animation bar but that is really not cool like you see the positions in the ATB bar.

Exentryk

Now, do you see how I've kept leaving an empty space open? This is important in ATB because decisions take time. That empty buffer is essential because I have some time to think about Reynn's move. In Wait, decisions take 0 time. So what is the point of the empty space?

You're basically saying the only purpose of the turn bar is to give people playing in Active mode time to think. And I'm saying this is wrong, because turn bar has a strategic purpose, which your simplified examples don't show.

You firstly need to accept that turn bar has importance. Be aware that you can have up to 6 members on the turn bar from the player side, and a similar number from the enemy side too. So, using stacking, unstacking, defending, toppling, agility changing moves, etc., can all impact on who will win the turn. This aspect of winning the turn is something you're completely ignoring, and this is an important strategic element in this combat system.

Watch the video below to see how stacking, toppling, etc., can change who gets a turn. Also notice the player (Lann's stack) getting in multiple turns via unstacking before the enemy gets their turn. Stuff like this is only possible because of the turn bar, and the player can plan for that. If there was no turn bar, how would the player know if he has enough time to unstack and restack before enemy turn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gej5y1f099s

This is a monster catching and raising game! I didn't know what to expect when I started the demo but holy moly did the battle system and gameplay excite me.

I didn't get to play the whole demo yet but I'm enjoying what I am playing so far. Shame though. Besides Persona 5 I'm not getting anything else for the PS4. If this happens to come out for the Switch though I'll buy the fuck out of it.

ethomaz

Banned
You're basically saying the only purpose of the turn bar is to give people playing in Active mode time to think. And I'm saying this is wrong, because turn bar has a strategic purpose, which your simplified examples don't show.

You firstly need to accept that turn bar has importance. Be aware that you can have up to 6 members on the turn bar from the player side, and a similar number from the enemy side too. So, using stacking, unstacking, defending, toppling, agility changing moves, etc., can all impact on who will win the turn. This aspect of winning the turn is something you're completely ignoring, and this is an important strategic element in this combat system.

Watch the video below to see how stacking, toppling, etc., can change who gets a turn. Also notice the player (Lann's stack) getting in multiple turns via unstacking before the enemy gets their turn. Stuff like this is only possible because of the turn bar, and the player can plan for that. If there was no turn bar, how would the player know if he has enough time to unstack and restack before enemy turn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gej5y1f099s
I think I get what he is saying...

Your example can be just calcules by the game changing order of turn without need to wait the char reach the top of the bar. You have all your strategy without need to wait any bar animation reaching the top.

You do in background but just show the turn order... of course the turn order changes based on what happens in the battle and a char/monster can have two sequencial turns.

It is only change the way it shows to player but the mechanics are the same in background.

Some JRPG just go to next turn when there is a space to run to reach the turn... so it is faster without need to wait these space runs.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

Your example can be just calcules by the game changing order of turn without need to wait the char reach the top of the bar. You have all your strategy without need to wait any bar animation reaching the top.

You do in background but just show the turn order... of course the turn order changes based on what happens in the battle and a char/monster can have two sequencial turns.

It is only change the way it shows to player but the mechanics are the same in background.

Some JRPG just go to next turn when there is a space to run to reach the turn... so it is faster without need to wait these space runs.
Yes, this. Do the calculations in the background. Literally like FFX. Like I already said.

Exentryk

If the game calculates it all, how do I know if I should unstack or not? It's only because of the turn bar I know I have enough time to unstack, and still get a turn before the enemy.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If the game calculates it all, how do I know if I should unstack or not? It's only because of the turn bar I know I have enough time to unstack, and still get a turn before the enemy.
In FFX, when you hover over an ability, it shows you how it affects the time bar. I'm not asking for some crazy complex system. This has all been done before.

wispsmoke

Neo Member
Holy hell this battle system is S L O W

No shit. Not impressed by the gameplay in the demo. I like what they're getting out of the Vita graphically, but I'm not feeling a sense of exploration. The demo presents the game as pretty linear, punctuated with slowwww battles.

Maybe it's just that the genre is no longer for me. In general, I'm done with monster catching games. Ni No Kuni might be the last one that I give any time to, but it's buried deep in the backlog due to what I thought was a lackluster first couple of hours with grating voice acting and plotting. Who knows if I'll ever go back to it. The last game of this kind (and JRPG, really) that I enjoyed was P4G, where I was able to submerge far enough that I actually enjoyed the fusion system. But first I needed to be sucked in by the characters, Inaba, and the plot. Without that buy-in, I never would have bothered with so much menu-driven gameplay.

I'm probably just old, though. Everyone who has hype for WoFF should just go with it.

Exentryk

In FFX, when you hover over an ability, it shows you how it affects the time bar. I'm not asking for some crazy complex system. This has all been done before.

Okay, that would be one way of going about it, and it'd work. However, it removes the calculation from the player. This calculation is also part of the skill in this system. It's why systems in Child of Light and Grandia are so fun to play.
Having a turn bar also provides a thrill of whether you will win the turn or not. It's exciting and fun to overtake the enemy and then knock it down the turn bar via toppling moves.

So, given these reason, I don't feel it is fair to say the turn bar is pointless (regardless of battle modes).

ethomaz

Banned
Okay, that would be one way of going about it, and it'd work. However, it removes the calculation from the player. This calculation is also part of the skill in this system. It's why systems in Child of Light and Grandia are so fun to play.
Having a turn bar also provides a thrill of whether you will win the turn or not. It's exciting and fun to overtake the enemy and then knock it down the turn bar via toppling moves.

So, given these reason, I don't feel it is fair to say the turn bar is pointless (regardless of battle modes).
They can maintain just like it is now and do an instant move to the next turn... just to make the bar faster... so if you have a space between the top and the next character to reach the turn it just move the positions to the next turn char.

It was already done in others games and it won't affect how you see the positions for strategy.

That way you just get out from the R1 press to fast move to the next turn.

Thinking a bit about just make the R1 automatic ;)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I find the battles are snappy with the R1 button pressed. I don't get the slow complaints, but I do understand the complaints that the R1 needs to be constantly pressed to get to that speed. I don't know why they did this instead of putting an option in the menu. Still, I consider it a minor annoyance.

I greatly enjoyed the demo on the vita.

Exentryk

They can maintain just like it is now and do an instant move to the next turn... just to make the bar faster... so if you have a space between the top and the next character to reach the turn it just move the positions to the next turn char.

The problem with that is that since the player has to calculate/visualise how fast everyone is moving, if you start jumping to turns then it makes it harder for the player to perform this calculation.

ghibli99

For those defending the passing of time between turns, don't you think something similar to FF10's system would have been much better? If turns are affected by agility or Haste/Slow is cast, etc., you'd see the battle order change, but you wouldn't have to arbitrarily wait for time to pass. It just makes no sense to me even with the explanations (which tbh, sounds like grasping at straws to justify flawed design).

ethomaz

Banned
The problem with that is that since the player has to calculate/visualise how fast everyone is moving, if you start jumping to turns then it makes it harder for the player to perform this calculation.
Most player will use the R1 that already do some kind of jump loosing this player tracker.

Maybe automatic R1 option???

For those defending the passing of time between turns, don't you think something similar to FF10's system would have been much better? If turns are affected by agility or Haste/Slow is cast, etc., you'd see the battle order change, but you wouldn't have to arbitrarily wait for time to pass. It just makes no sense to me even with the explanations (which tbh, sounds like grasping at straws to justify flawed design).
I'm not defending it because I got why it is not needed but I do like the way it show the time passing between turns... I just don't use R1 because I found more realistic to wait the icon reach the top for turns.

This. Also, this game isn't made exclusively for long time JRPG players. Sure a lot of us grew up with systems that was much more obtuse or didn't provide visual information the way WoFF is, but a appreciate it being visually easy to ready so that my daughter can easily understand what is going on.

Most player will use the R1 that already do some kind of jump loosing this player tracker.

This would be a good solution.

Exentryk

@ghibli - Feel free to read my posts about why the turn bar is important.

Some people might need more time to figure out who is going to the win the turn. Some people might need less time to do this calculation, and so they can use R1. Remember this game is aimed at kids, who will need the extra time.

Automatic R1 can be an option, but it should not be compulsory.

ethomaz

Banned
Some people might need more time to figure out who is going to the win the turn. Some people might need less time to do this calculation, and so they can use R1. Remember this game is aimed at kids, who will need the extra time.

Automatic R1 can be an option, but it should not be compulsory.
That is why I said an option and not a forced change.

I do like to play in the actual speed ;)

What they showed on demo can end being one of the best turn based games I played in the last years... it is really that good and complex.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
In any case, the passing of time is not so different from a game like final fantasy 7. I don't really mind it. Automatic R1 should be an option yes. Maybe we can ask SE to implement it.

Its like pokemon evolution. You change from a Chocochick to a Chocobo, so yes you go to a small to medium. You can also change back and forth between them.

No you can't do it the demo.

It was call a Dungeon demo. I don't know what you were expecting. I think this is also a self contained Dungeon and won't be in the final game.

Meh, something more than literally just a dungeon. I'll pick this up on sale if reception is good.

Bladenic

I cancelled my PS4 pre-order but can't decide now whether I want the Vita one now or just wait for a sale. You don't get the mini artbook with the Vita version regardless, but I don't really care about that. The voices being a patch is a bummer though. Hmm.

Lucreto

I see nothing wrong with the battle system. I don't think it is slow but I plays FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX when they originally released so I am well used to it and actually enjoyed it.

You can do it in the demo actually, in the Prism Case menu at the save point.

There are five monster who can evolve/devolve in the demo, the rest are locked.

I didn't know this. I will get the demo another shot.

Impulsor

I really did not like the chibis tyle of this at all, but it's growing on me, and right now I'd kill for final fantays so I may just dive in.

Do you unlock anything by playing the demo?

Hackbert

yeah i think i read you get to keep one mirage. maybe ifreeta? not sure. Tried the demo yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, nostalgia is a mean thing. oh how the chibi puppets will be sold.. i played with semi active and speed on 4 and found it alright. the option to fast forward was nice for leveling. weird voices for some characters. will be waiting for the first sale.

Impulsor

yeah i think i read you get to keep one mirage. maybe ifreeta? not sure. Tried the demo yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, nostalgia is a mean thing. oh how the chibi puppets will be sold.. i played with semi active and speed on 4 and found it alright. the option to fast forward was nice for leveling. weird voices for some characters. will be waiting for the first sale.

A magitek armor mirage I think.

Thanks!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Not for me I guess. I can't remember ever playing a demo that turned me off a product so much. Equal parts incredibly dull and annoying (please tell me that character just putting 'the' in front of random words isn't in the whole game). I have no idea if the whole game is good or not but dear god that demo was beyond boring. I was thinking of getting the vita version but I'm worried it's just not worth playing now.

I kinda got the impression the combat would be super slow from the gameplay videos but yeah... it is a bit more slow than I would like even with the R1 down. Still not bad but would have liked it either to pass more quickly or FFX style flat turns.

Think I will enjoy this enough though.

I kinda got the impression the combat would be super slow from the gameplay videos but yeah... it is a bit more slow than I would like even with the R1 down. Still not bad but would have liked it either to pass more quickly or FFX style flat turns.

Think I will enjoy this enough though.

Even with the battle speed set to the highest?

apd_ng

How to use mirage fying ability?

To use abilities you have to come across a tooltip sorta thing, then it activities the fantasy-mon comes out of his fantasy-ball and carries you over, you step on that tool tip again to get him to bring you back

this works for most tooltips, smash sizzle zap etc

but for joyriding + stroll (a mon stands beside you as you walk; 3 man party sorta thing), the directional buttons are there

the abilities are learnt via the mirage board; some people are gonna have slave mons for sure

Einhandr

Anyone else double dipping for both versions? I'm considering it since it supports cross save. That way I can play a bit on my lunch breaks at work, transfer and continue where I left off at home if I get to put some more time into it there.

BHK3

Banned
When does the Japanese psn store update/get there new PS+ content? I wanna make an account and get the final fantasy theme and whatever new stuff they had for November during my 2 day trial.

My first impression of the demo was, this is crap, and yes I always play on active, five speed battle. I've being doing that since ff7. I put it on classic menu too.

Wasn't till i started collecting bigger monsters like Behemoth the eye and that wolf where battle felt kinda cooler. Didn't really like being a jiant at all. Its cooler to ride one Giant beast then having 2 small beast on your head. To me anyway. I generally don't like chibi style, but I think it works for this game. Like if they didn't have big size at all i think it would be better honestly.

By the end of the demo I thought it was just ok, just a tad boring to be honest. I don't think its the type of game I would want to pay full price on ps4 for. Maybe in a sale or something.

I do see a bit of potential in the battle system though. Maybe something that would be super fun by the end. With lots of Fanservice summons, and giant awesome mounts.

Top Bottom