• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

bjb

Banned
Crap I meant Jaedenar. Not Sargeras.

That's really weird though. I remember him being a teenager with a scraggly voice.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Icecrown mobs will not give experience to a lvl 85 character, so no grisley trophies. There is a ledge in the northern part of deepholm that spawns mobs faster than anyone can kill them. Go there instead and give it a try.

I completed both the Darkmoon Faire quest for grisly trophies and the dailies for each capitals for love tokens by killing the mobs in Icecrown, im not sure what you're talking about, unless you're not killing the same ones as i do, which are these guys : http://www.wowhead.com/npc=32255.

I completed both the Darkmoon Faire quest for grisly trophies and the dailies for each capitals for love tokens by killing the mobs in Icecrown, im not sure what you're talking about, unless you're not killing the same ones as i do, which are these guys : http://www.wowhead.com/npc=32255.

You are not following the conversation well enough to start trying to call people out on misinformation. I do not know which mobs eudaemonic is killing but they are not giving him the trophies so it must not be those.

Icecrown mobs will not give experience to a lvl 85 character, so no grisley trophies. There is a ledge in the northern part of deepholm that spawns mobs faster than anyone can kill them. Go there instead and give it a try.

I'll check out the area Deepholm cause that might be fun in general for the charms. But the mobs I kill in Icecrown do drop the grizzly ears because I can farm 250 of them in 30 minutes. I was just not getting charms and ears at the same time - only ears.

Rokam

I'll check out the area Deepholm cause that might be fun in general for the charms. But the mobs I kill in Icecrown do drop the grizzly ears because I can farm 250 of them in 30 minutes. I was just not getting charms and ears at the same time - only ears.

Yeah because of the way WoW's loot system works, since they're deposited straight into your inventory, you can only get 1 drop.

Sarcasm

Whats the ears for? I saw some druid getting them while lvling my death knight.

Btw death knigh tis remotely fun as frost. I honestly feel I should have just leveled something else.

Whats a good class for healing in PvP?

Magnus

I'm stuck home recovering for a few more days from surgery, and have decided to go apeshit creating some new horde alts. Never really done horde before, so I'd appreciate the advice!

I'm going to actually create all four and dick around with all of them till I find what I like. These are the classes (and the faction!) that I know the least about.

These are all the options available for these classes/races.

Death Knight
• Orc
• Undead
• Troll
• Blood Elf
• Goblin
• Tauren

Warrior
• Orc
• Undead
• Troll
• Blood Elf
• Goblin
• Tauren

Rogue
• Orc
• Undead
• Troll
• Blood Elf
• Goblin

Warlock
• Orc
• Undead
• Blood Elf
• Goblin

I'm leaning toward Blood Elf warrior, Undead warlock, Tauren Death Knight, and...I'd like to suggest either Orc/Troll/Goblin for the rogue...but man, I'm not such a huge fan of the character models.

I'm not as crazy about racial bonuses, as I consider being happy with how my character looks and feels much more important (honestly)....unless the racials are seriously game-breakingly awesome.

Any and all suggestions helpful!

Brykon

Neo Member
Undead female rogues. They look amazing, they do sick flips, etc. For everything else, that seems alright, although I'd do orc warrior, mainly for looks.

Looks>racials in the end, imo!

Whats the ears for? I saw some druid getting them while lvling my death knight.

One of the Darkmoon Fair quests requires 250 of them in exchange for 10 tickets. (Can only do it once per month.)

Yeah because of the way WoW's loot system works, since they're deposited straight into your inventory, you can only get 1 drop.

Ahh... that makes sense then. The ears were just getting picked before the charms. Still kind of a bummer but what can ya do? In the grand scheme, not that big of a deal.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Totally! Which is why I'm hesitant to go with Orc. They look completely terrible, lol.

I can't manage to get into playing a Goblin or Gnome either. I feel so small, inconsequential and NPC-ish.
I have every race covered.

You could spend a lot of time deciding based on animations and how they look in gear.

Magnus

I have every race covered.

You could spend a lot of time deciding based on animations and how they look in gear.

How they look in tier sets is often my first indicator of whether I'm in. I find it frustrating and awesome at the same time that armor gets shredded on an undead character. I really dig some of the horde races but hate that they're like, perma-hunched-over, at least the male characters are.

And I just can't stand short characters, so gnomes and goblins are out. I had a dwarf for awhile and actually rerolled because I wanted a human/taller character on the Alliance. I miss the awesome presence and whimsy of a dwarf though.

And I dig the shit out of male Draenei. Truly the most majestic-looking race, imo. I wish Tauren could match that kind of animation, because I really dig their immensity.

Edit-

Vote Yes/No: Tauren Warrior named Psyduck. Go.

Argh, Blood Elf DK and Tauren Warrior, or vice versa? G'damn. I get so hung up on character creation, lol.

I have a Tauren Warrior, DK, and Paladin. I think all the plate classes look great as Tauren. Though I tend to prefer Tauren in general. I do have characters of other races though, including an Orc Warrior which is pretty fun. Though I find he needs to have a certain hairstyle and face to look acceptable.

Sidetracked a bit there, this is what I came to post about:

Blizzard said:
Mages and Arenas
Just off the top of my head, this is how diminishing returns works for mages:
Deep Freeze is on the stun diminishing returns.
Ring of Frost and Polymorph are on the disorient DR.
The mage Frost Nova and the Water Elemental's Freeze are both on the root DR.
Improved Cone of Cold and Shattered Barrier are on the random root DR.
There are also several snares which are not affected by DR, such as Frostbolt

The random root DR mentioned is actually a separate category to normal roots. We reserve this only for effects that are procs, instead of those that are the general effect of a spell. This is a very subtle and subjective classification that often comes down to simply what feels right.

Currently, we think that Frost mages have too much control in PvP. This is just something that has grown over time because we always felt that these "chilling" and "freezing" effects should naturally slow you down. Part of the design that we are implementing with the Mists of Pandaria talent changes are to move some of that control Frost mages have to the talent tree. This means it will be possible for a Frost mage to choose these options, but they come at the expense of others, Arcane and Fire mages also have the opportunity to get those control choices as well! :O

The overall effect of this is that Arcane and Fire should stay about neutral in regards to their control, but frost will lose some of it. On the other hand though, it is possible for a Frost's damage to go up and be competitive with that of the other mages if they do not go for the control talents.

Funny how it has taken this long to say as much. It's been really bad beginning with Cataclysm, but to see it line by line how they have so many CC options, and they're almost all on different types of diminishing returns. It's pretty disgusting.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How they look in tier sets is often my first indicator of whether I'm in. I find it frustrating and awesome at the same time that armor gets shredded on an undead character. I really dig some of the horde races but hate that they're like, perma-hunched-over, at least the male characters are.

And I just can't stand short characters, so gnomes and goblins are out. I had a dwarf for awhile and actually rerolled because I wanted a human/taller character on the Alliance. I miss the awesome presence and whimsy of a dwarf though.

And I dig the shit out of male Draenei. Truly the most majestic-looking race, imo. I wish Tauren could match that kind of animation, because I really dig their immensity.

Edit-

Vote Yes/No: Tauren Warrior named Psyduck. Go.

Argh, Blood Elf DK and Tauren Warrior, or vice versa? G'damn. I get so hung up on character creation, lol.
Male Tauren Warrior is definitely badass. One of the best combos. The sheer size of weapons.

I like my female blood elf DK but I'm jelly about shoulder size on a lot of other races.

Sarcasm

How are resto druid in PvP specifically BG?

I only rally see Paladin healers than priests. Sometimes a shaman, but I haven't seen a resto druid.

Sciz

Improved Cone of Cold and Shattered Barrier are on the random root DR.
Neither of these are random.

For that matter, does the game even have any genuinely random root effects these days? I can't think of any.

How are resto druid in PvP specifically BG?

I only rally see Paladin healers than priests. Sometimes a shaman, but I haven't seen a resto druid.

It's pretty fun, but as with all BG healing, perhaps even more so because of the HoTs, you really need to be around a bunch of people to be effective.

I'm gonna agree that DKs are preferential tanks to the shield users right now. In addition to the benefits Yanger already talked about, their core mechanics got a huge boost this past patch. The blood shield has always had an advantage against other shield because it is omnidirectional and in addition to that the change to death strike and the triggering of the shield helped to get rid of a large part of DK tanks' spikey incoming damage. This, in addition to their great damage output makes them more sought after than warriors for sure in all of my raids, and especially paladins. Blizzard made all the tanks behave pretty much near each other so this is all a matter of fine degrees, but I know a lot of raid groups in my guild that are kicking themselves for having too many warriors and paladins tanking and not enough access to DKs and druids.

Caused quite the debate :D
Well I moved my Dk across, didnt want to pay £20 to change to horde just yet but I will probably mess about on him and try to relearn tanking.
It funny how after playing for so long, no matter how many times I quit and come back the first week is rough as I cant remember anything or what half my gear is even for!

Weenerz

Banned
Really losing interest of this expansion since I became a casual raider, I do the LFR once or twice a week and I would rather experience different content instaed of farming for loot. Guess I can level alts. Kind of wish I didn't do that year pass thing.

Magnus

Male Tauren Warrior is definitely badass. One of the best combos. The sheer size of weapons.

I like my female blood elf DK but I'm jelly about shoulder size on a lot of other races.

Yeah, I hopped on a level 1 male Tauren warrior I created, dressing room'd some sets and weapons and cried with joy at the badassery. Made my decision for me.

Rollin a BE DK, a Tauren Warrior, an Undead Warlock (that race/class combo just makes perfect sense to me thematically; just need to pick male or female), and am seriously torn on the rogue. Either a BE or UD female. Or maybe...another male blood elf. Fuck, I don't know.

Got to say 25% extra Xp is actually mental. I played for like 2 hours maybe and went from level 10 to 20. I outleveld the zone I was in massivly and now im kind of lost as to where to go at 20!

Also Healing is so bizzare to me, strugelling to get used to it. Being able to use dual spec and spec into healing properly should be good though.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Really losing interest of this expansion since I became a casual raider, I do the LFR once or twice a week and I would rather experience different content instaed of farming for loot. Guess I can level alts. Kind of wish I didn't do that year pass thing.

Same. I do the LFR on Tuesday on my main, I don't really care to do it on my alts anymore, then an actual raid Sun/Mon for about 6-7 hours total. I typically just log onto WoW and go AFK to play some other game and just press W so I don't logged out for inactivity.

daedalius

Playing Amalur is making me want to resub to WoW... again. Maybe I'd actually level my alt since I hear they are making achievements account wide (FINALLY)!

I really can't wait for Pandas now, a new continent to explore is always super fun for me. I think the fact that there wasn't one in Cata impacted my overall experience, but at least the new zones in cata were pretty fun overall.

I also seem to be having a hard time getting into SWTOR... I'm still not level 50, and my wife and I's playtime has dropped off quite a bit. This is very different from the various expansions for WoW, which we'd play like nonstop till we were through the questing and up to dungeons/raiding/etc. The class quests are good, but the rest of the filler somehow seems even worse than WoW's filler, lol.

Alchemy

Same. I do the LFR on Tuesday on my main, I don't really care to do it on my alts anymore, then an actual raid Sun/Mon for about 6-7 hours total. I typically just log onto WoW and go AFK to play some other game and just press W so I don't logged out for inactivity.

My routine is: Farm MC/BWL with my hunter, and level alts. I bounce around alts constantly trying to maximize rest exp so I usually have nothing to do after I burn through everyone's rest. Fortunately, I just play other games during this period. Being a heavy raider was fun for a while but I can't stand scheduled gaming anymore. I like having freedom to play games when I want.

LFR was a nice addition that helped me see some raids while still being pretty casual about things and play on my own schedule.

Weenerz

Banned

I've been playing The Binding of Isaac while in LFR, when we hit a boss, I'll minimize with the sound in background option checked in the options for WoW.

Bisnic

Forgive me for being new, but what items from the World Events (Love is in the Air, Darkmoon Faire, etc.) expire?

It's hard to tell right away, but if an item have "Duration : X days" in the description, those will expire. Not all items are like that, some can be collected and put in the bank for the next year.

Kalnos

Banned
Forgive me for being new, but what items from the World Events (Love is in the Air, Darkmoon Faire, etc.) expire?

If you click the calender that's in the top right-hand corner of the screen with the mini-map you can view those sort of things. The Darkmoon Faire always lasts 1 week, looks like Love is in the Air is 2 weeks.

aristotle

It's hard to tell right away, but if an item have "Duration : X days" in the description, those will expire. Not all items are like that, some can be collected and put in the bank for the next year.

I assumed that the Darkmoon tickets for this year won't expire because of the high cost for the mounts and companions. From what I've read, they carry over each month. I'm more worried about the Love is in the Air stuff since I would like to get a mount (or 3) to either keep or sell.

If you click the calender that's in the top right-hand corner of the screen with the mini-map you can view those sort of things. The Darkmoon Faire always lasts 1 week, looks like Love is in the Air is 2 weeks.

I meant the items you collect for the events, not the events themselves. Sorry if I didn't describe that properly.

Bisnic

I assumed that the Darkmoon tickets for this year won't expire because of the high cost for the mounts and companions. From what I've read, they carry over each month. I'm more worried about the Love is in the Air stuff since I would like to get a mount (or 3) to either keep or sell.

Darkmoon Faire tokens do not expire because they count as "currency"(see the tab for that). I still have 100 Dalaran cooking tokens collecting dust from the last expansion lol.

Not sure about Love is in the Air since those actually go into your bag. Just check its description, if there is no expiration timer, you're all good.

Bisnic

Is there some trick to quickly lvl enchanting without spending a fortune in the AH for greens or mats?

My enchanter is a rogue alt, but since i never play with him, and since i have a great need of mats for my mains, i feel like i should get rid of engineering on my paladin main and just get enchanting instead to get more mats from dungeon runs and future MoP quests. All those runs without an enchanter piss me off, i dont want gold from a purple ring. 70k is enough.

But then i think of all the low lvl dungeons i will have to run hoping for greens to drop or all the gold i will have to waste... ugh. Ores, leathers and herbs arent a pain in the ass to get, why enchanting mats? :(

idlewild_

SO I discovered I have a 63 BE rogue on a server with 74 silver and no talent points. Two swords equipped and some armor.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kalecgos/Identity/advanced

How shall I spec her?

combat's pretty easy: no positional requirements or keeping track of poisons, you can cleave additional mobs, you can pick up bonus armor and imp recup for basically free (the other talents aren't really going to help you level as much as these.)

if you find yourself taking more than maybe 10 seconds to kill a mob and running low on energy, you probably want to switch to using a fast dagger in your offhand for combat potency procs giving you free energy back. I leveled my rogue in full heirlooms, so it was fine using two swords since everything died before I ran out of energy, but with the gear you have you probably want to be using a dagger in off-hand.

Alchemy

Is there some trick to quickly lvl enchanting without spending a fortune in the AH for greens or mats?

My enchanter is a rogue alt, but since i never play with him, and since i have a great need of mats for my mains, i feel like i should get rid of engineering on my paladin main and just get enchanting instead to get more mats from dungeon runs and future MoP quests. All those runs without an enchanter piss me off, i dont want gold from a purple ring. 70k is enough.

But then i think of all the low lvl dungeons i will have to run hoping for greens to drop or all the gold i will have to waste... ugh. Ores, leathers and herbs arent a pain in the ass to get, why enchanting mats? :(

Level a ton of alts, amass all their cloth, tailor it up like crazy and DE it all. I have five alts all on the same server all around the same level, and it took literally all their cloth pooled together plus tailoring to level up enchanting so it kept pace with the character.

I find it a little tricky to keep trade skills up to level now that leveling is so damn fast, I always seem to outpace the herbs and ore that I need to mine.

Chris R

Be careful though, I found it CHEAPER to sell the cloth I got leveling my alts and buy greens with it due to how stupid the price for something like a stack of linen was (25g) and people listing greens at very low markups (use an AH scanner to find them).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I just went ahead and bought everything and made it back in a week or less doing very easy auction house manipulating early Cat.

Praise the lord, I'll never have to do 1-525 enchanting again.

It does suck not having it on a main, but, oh well.

Bisnic

Well i guess i could buy all those mats too... i mean my mage have 30k, my paladin have 20k and my warrior have 20k and i rarely buy stuff anyway. Might as well use it to save myself some headaches.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Add up the cost. Cause I think I might have spent over 10k when I thought I could power level alch and enchanting to make a ton of money on disenchanted stones only to have it hotfixed.

Having a blacksmith helped too.

http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-enchanting-guide.html

1 x Copper Rod
125 x Strange Dust
1 x Lesser Magic Essence
1 x Silver Rod
12 x Greater Magic Essence
9 x Simple Wood
25 x Lesser Astral Essence
122 x Soul Dust
1 x Golden Rod
1 x Iridescent Pearl
2 x Greater Astral Essence
155 x Vision Dust
1 x Truesilver Rod
1 x Black Pearl
20 x Purple Lotus
2 x Greater Mystic Essence
25 x Lesser Nether Essence
15 x Lesser Eternal Essence
230 x Dream Dust
10 x Illusion Dust
1 x Arcanite Rod
8 x Greater Eternal Essence
8 x Large Brilliant Shard
1 x Fel Iron Rod
330 x Arcane Dust
14 x Greater Planar Essence
13 x Large Prismatic Shard
20 x Lesser Planar Essence
15 x Nightmare Vine
15 x Crystal Vial
1 x Primal Might
1 x Adamantite Rod
1 x Eternium Rod
1 x Titanium Rod
600 x Infinite Dust
29 x Greater Cosmic Essence
2 x Dream Shard
10 x Crystallized Water
450 x Hypnotic Dust - You will need a lot less if you choose recipes that requires Lesser Celestial Essence
25 x Lesser Celestial Essence
80 x Greater Celestial Essence
5 x [Elixir's of Impossible Accuracy]
8 x Heavenly Shard
1 x Elementium Rod
5 x Maelstrom Crystal

thatbox

Banned
weird. I have 8gb of ram and yet I go from 60fps in the 32 bit client to 30fps in the 64 bit client?

Rename your 64-bit executable to Wow.exe so that it triggers any of the same application-specific driver settings you're used to (if you're on Windows). That's all I can think of.

Alchemy

Be careful though, I found it CHEAPER to sell the cloth I got leveling my alts and buy greens with it due to how stupid the price for something like a stack of linen was (25g) and people listing greens at very low markups (use an AH scanner to find them).

Depends on the level of the item you're DEing and the costs of greens on your servers. Mine are way too expensive to make this practical.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Rename your 64-bit executable to Wow.exe so that it triggers any of the same application-specific driver settings you're used to (if you're on Windows). That's all I can think of.
This worked:
"Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > [ADD] > WoW Directory > Wow-64.exe"

Which probably has the same effect as renaming.

I guess I was running off integrated graphics instead of dedicated because of this sandy bridge switching.

Magnus

You have 70k and are stressing just power-levelling the prof through purchases? Are mats that expensive on your server?

I only had 20k and decided it was worth it to spend the 10k to go from 1-525. I didn't even take a week or anything to try and catch things at low prices, I just recklessly bought bought bought whatever I needed and borrowed a little here and there from some friends, knowing I'd be able to return it to them via whatever I DE'd the following week. Only ended up spending about 7k (did 1-525 in about like, 3 or 4 hours while watching TV one day, lol), and I made that 7k back nearly twice over the next week.

Totally worth it having it on a main. No more vendored epics. Feels GOOOOD man. Do it. And you have so much money! Should be an easy decision.

I now have 30k or so total over all my characters, and am the richest I've ever been, lol. Staggers me to know some of my guildies have over 150k.

Bisnic

You have 70k and are stressing just power-levelling the prof through purchases? Are mats that expensive on your server?

I only had 20k and decided it was worth it to spend the 10k to go from 1-525. I didn't even take a week or anything to try and catch things at low prices, I just recklessly bought bought bought whatever I needed and borrowed a little here and there from some friends, knowing I'd be able to return it to them via whatever I DE'd the following week. Only ended up spending about 7k (did 1-525 in about like, 3 or 4 hours while watching TV one day, lol), and I made that 7k back nearly twice over the next week.

Totally worth it having it on a main. No more vendored epics. Feels GOOOOD man. Do it. And you have so much money! Should be an easy decision.

I now have 30k or so total over all my characters, and am the richest I've ever been, lol. Staggers me to know some of my guildies have over 150k.

I know, its just that seeing stacks of Arcane/Infinite Dusts sold for 200g makes me want to punch someone. Especially when i need hundreds of them.

But like you said, i got a lot of money collecting dust...

johnsmith

remember me
I know, its just that seeing stacks of Arcane/Infinite Dusts sold for 200g makes me want to punch someone. Especially when i need hundreds of them.

But like you said, i got a lot of money collecting dust...

Why don't you buy greens and disenchant them yourself? People dump crafted greens on the AH all the time that they made while skilling up.

Top Bottom