• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

That's that dead, then. Living Steel is now the same price as Living Steel Belt Buckle. Both 1200g on my shitty server.

Also, Yoshi's playtime might seem crazy to some of you, but your playtime is crazy to a lot of people I know. (ie, any). It's all relative.

Oh AND! Where's confirmation about the ~155 rares? Or are people just seeing, for the first time, the crapload of rares they added to old zones with Cata?

Yep this is pretty much dead on Mal'Ganis now too. Living Steel is in the 700-800 range and buckles were going for around 850 this morning. After the AH cut it is totally not worth it. Fun while it lasted though!

I am still seeing slow, but steady returns on some craftables. Also the cooking materials shuffle is worth doing a few times a night if I have nothing better to do. Made about 3K on Scallions last night.

Honestly I cannot complain if gold making completely crashed today, it would actually free up a lot of time for me. I broke the 500K profit since expansion launch mark last night and that is well beyond anything I hoped to achieve. I actually feel like I might see gold cap within the next few months at this point.

Fjordson

Honestly I cannot complain if gold making completely crashed today, it would actually free up a lot of time for me. I broke the 500K profit since expansion launch mark last night and that is well beyond anything I hoped to achieve. I actually feel like I might see gold cap within the next few months at this point.
Holy fuck! That's impressive. What did you do to earn that much? I've never even had more than 10k, my gold making skills are absolutely dreadful :lol

Does skinning make any money these days? Accidentally hit max level with it while questing yesterday. It's pretty much the only high level profession I have on any of my characters.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm down from the 500k I made early cat to 100k. Haven't been playing the ah since then or this expansion. Not to mention I need to level a few alts for all my professions to work cohesively. I have everything but leatherworking.

Still burnt out from that. I have tons of stockpiled cat ore and cat gems on like 8 alts I should have gotten rid of. I think I lost some in mail expirations too.

I don't like "AH gameplay". Big thing about D3 I hated.

All I'm doing now is the daily gem discovery and selling what comes out.

All I've done this expansion was level a monk to 85, level a DK to 90, do some heroics to inch toward lfr, make a jade jc mount, some gem discoveries. Haven't touched a few uncompleted zones or rep.

I was thinking about leveling the monk to 90 and rogue (alch, enchanting) a make the monk a second alch and jc. But I don't know if I want to get into that or what the current gold making strat is profession combination wise.

I may just play super casual once I hit lfr able.

Holy fuck! That's impressive. What did you do to earn that much? I've never even had more than 10k, my gold making skills are absolutely dreadful :lol

Does skinning make any money these days? Accidentally hit max level with it while questing yesterday. It's pretty much the only high level profession I have on any of my characters.

First few days I just sold all of my Ore as bars since it was stupidly profitable and then leveled up my Blacksmithing. Doing the Ore->Bar shuffle made decent profit for the first week as well. You would pay 15-20G for two pieces of Ore and sell the bar for 25-30G, free money. After that I just cornered the market on crafted PvP gear. You have to be ruthless, but at its height I was making 20-30K a day just from that. Like was mentioned earlier Belt Buckles were a decent money maker for a while as well, but that market has crashed.

Honestly it was just applying lessons I learned at Cataclysm launch. That was my first real push to make money at the start of an expansion and I learned a lot doing it. One thing I wish I had done though was stocking up on items that have gone up in price. Illusionary Bags I am looking at you.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
First few days I just sold all of my Ore as bars since it was stupidly profitable and then leveled up my Blacksmithing. Doing the Ore->Bar shuffle made decent profit for the first week as well. You would pay 15-20G for two pieces of Ore and sell the bar for 25-30G, free money. After that I just cornered the market on crafted PvP gear. You have to be ruthless, but at its height I was making 20-30K a day just from that. Like was mentioned earlier Belt Buckles were a decent money maker for a while as well, but that market has crashed.

Honestly it was just applying lessons I learned at Cataclysm launch. That was my first real push to make money at the start of an expansion and I learned a lot doing it. One thing I wish I had done though was stocking up on items that have gone up in price. Illusionary Bags I am looking at you.

Yeah I made a decent profit on bars, pvp gear, and belt buckles in the cat launch. Didn't level my BS alt tho or plan to for a while.'

I wanted to level a monk right off the bat, which I did slowly, and I had 0 professions from that.

Yeah I made a decent profit on bars, pvp gear, and belt buckles in the cat launch. Didn't level my BS alt tho or plan to for a while.'

I wanted to level a monk right off the bat, which I did slowly, and I had 0 professions from that.

Yeah the PvP gear thing has been doing decent despite several people coming in and being completely idiotic with their pricing. Thankfully those same people list their items and then walk away until they expire. When they keep not selling due to undercuts they eventually give up.

mclem

Lore: I can't wait until Wrathion is revealed as evil.

Actually - and I'm sticking my neck out here, I know - that strikes me as too obvious. He's a child of Deathwing, he is being positively Machiavellian behind the scenes...

...I'm thinking that a fun curveball would be if he ended up as Chaotic Neutral.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah the PvP gear thing has been doing decent despite several people coming in and being completely idiotic with their pricing. Thankfully those same people list their items and then walk away until they expire. When they keep not selling due to undercuts they eventually give up.

I had an undercut battle with pvp gear once. I was watching tv and had the addons to make it easy every few minutes, and just ate a few hundred gold and had a guy freak out on me. lolz. Then I stopped selling pvp gear cause the market crashed.

The only thing undercutting has hurt me in was glyphs. Which I quit. I don't want to relist hundreds of glyphs once a day let alone more than once. Along with the other shit.

Yeah I haven't put as much effort into gold-making as I thought I would. At the absolute minimum I should be logging in each day to do JC research on my alt, but when I don't feel like playing much, I just don't log in at all. I just barely made enough Valor yesterday so I'm able to buy chest/legs at 2250 if I cap this week. Only had a little more than 500 for last week, but it was 90% done in one day. The system is pretty brutal in this regard, if you don't pace yourself and play at least a little everyday with dailies/daily heroic. For some reason they ditched the 7 rewards/week thing and it's back to per day where you get double VP for the first random heroic.

Being limited to just the professions on two characters at the moment is hard, and it's really more like 2 rather than 4 since I'm not 90 on the warrior (and I do need to start leveling him again - he's full rested) for Pandaria flying mining, and Enchanting is pretty much worthless (at least for the way I like to make gold.) Probably the most profitable thing at the moment though is shuffling cooking mats, at least if you don't/didn't have a scribe (mine's stranded on my old server, though I have him making Scrolls of Wisdom anyway to do something with eventually.)

My Rogue is 41 though, and Priest at 43. Skinning/Herb and Tailoring + ? (haven't picked a second prof on her yet, maybe another Alch?), so they're coming along nicely. Behind on the skinning/herb, but I'll catch up when I get flying.

Also started up my Paladin yesterday and got him to 15 in about 90 minutes. Don't have the full tanking set for him yet (though the DPS plate will work fine), but he needs a shield of some sort before I can hop into instances as a tank. He's gonna be my miner I think when/if I hit 90 on him, dropping it on the Warrior for blacksmithing. Also have a Mage at 12, but I've avoided him somewhat since he shares gear with the Priest who has been going strong and she has some of the heirlooms transmogged.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What is the cooking mat shuffle again? Is it something with farming and fishing? People buying stacks of fish to turn into groceries and then tokens? I don't think I wanna fool with that. I don't like farming. I'm probably just retired from the AH.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, that felt good to say the least.

Woke up, MoP down... completely forgot about the maintenance. Ugh.

What is the cooking mat shuffle again? Is it something with farming and fishing? I don't think I wanna fool with that. I'm probably just retired from the AH.

Once you get to a certain point in the cooking quests out at Halfhill you are able to trade in a stack of cooking materials for an Ironpaw Token which you can then use to buy another stack of cooking materials. So you find out what is selling low and trade it in for something selling high. For instance yesterday I bought like 10 stacks of Raw Turtle Meat for around 100G a stack and turned it into Scallions which were selling for 450G.

What is the cooking mat shuffle again? Is it something with farming and fishing? People buying stacks of fish to turn into groceries and then tokens? I don't think I wanna fool with that. I don't like farming. I'm probably just retired from the AH.

Pretty much trading meat in for (generally) vegetables, as vegetables are in a much shorter supply than the meat. If the margins were right you could do meat -> meat transfers as well, but that's more unlikely. You can do it either via buying the meat (if profitable) or farming/fishing it yourself.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Once you get to a certain point in the cooking quests out at Halfhill you are able to trade in a stack of cooking materials for an Ironpaw Token which you can then use to buy another stack of cooking materials. So you find out what is selling low and trade it in for something selling high. For instance yesterday I bought like 10 stacks of Raw Turtle Meat for around 100G a stack and turned it into Scallions which were selling for 450G.

Pretty much trading meat in for vegetables, as vegetables are in a much shorter supply than the meat. You can do it either via buying the meat (if profitable) or farming/fishing it yourself.

Ah, cool thanks, I might do that.

I'm never buying BOE gear again. I think I have enough gold for all the outstanding mounts I want. I'm not gonna do black market auction house. The only think I'd want is mimi's head or ashes and if that ever pops up it'll probably go for millions and I'm not gonna put that much effort into making money.

Right now I think I want to level some pets up so I can actually collect high level ones I see everywhere. That's bugging me.

mclem

Feng down last night, by the way. Still only Normal, though. We're not particularly good! The key for us was nailing the Draw Flames in phase 2; once we got into P3 without having any stacks left up, we killed it that go.

Part of me wants to work on the third boss tonight, but I think we have a bit of an obligation to the rest of the guild to try to piece together a second ten-man and get some more people with raid experience/opportunities to loot prior to the onset of 'official' raiding.

I'm finding tanking in conjunction with a monk somewhat frustrating, since they do seem to significantly outthreat me and take less damage. I suspect that's somewhat misleading, though, since my Sacred Shield would mitigate a lot and my Seal of Insight would selfheal a lot. Either way there's a warrior who's tanked with me a lot in the past who suffers a lot from a crisis of confidence; I think next week it might be wise if I were to run with him, because I'm rather better at motivation than the, ah, less introspective raid leaders we have.

Ah, cool thanks, I might do that.

I'm never buying BOE gear again. I think I have enough gold for all the outstanding mounts I want. I'm not gonna do black market auction house. The only think I'd want is mimi's head or ashes and if that ever pops up it'll probably go for millions and I'm not gonna put that much effort into making money.

Yeah the funny thing is I keep acquiring all of this gold, but I really am pretty frugal when it comes to spending it. So I pretty much have 700K gold just for the sake of having it. I might start getting involved in GDKP runs this expansion though since my guild cannot field a raid and I am not sure I want to be on the hook to raid every week anymore. As long as I am somewhat consistent in doing the runs I should not be looking at losing a ton of money by doing so.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I was thinking about /roll random x gambling. Kungen went from broke, to more gold to me, to broke, to more gold than me in like an hour of gambling. I liked the way they were doing it. /roll random 50 plus or minius. You roll 10 I roll 40, you pay me 30k.

I guess I need to establish some weekly income first if I do that tho. Don't wanna lose everything all at once lol.

Put in less effort making money, try to get lucky.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Actually - and I'm sticking my neck out here, I know - that strikes me as too obvious. He's a child of Deathwing, he is being positively Machiavellian behind the scenes...

...I'm thinking that a fun curveball would be if he ended up as Chaotic Neutral.

He isn't evil. The creators have already said he's just good in his own way that doesn't necessarily align with Alliance/Horde interests. =(

mclem

So Blizzard decided to stick ~155 new Rare mobs in 5.1...

This is shaping up to be a very crazy patch.

Wonder what other surprises they have in store for us?

I have a theory about this.

There are - effectively - only eight rares in Mists of Pandaria. Eight skillsets scaled to (four, is it? Pretty sure I've killed four Hozen rares) different levels of strength depending on which you encounter. All soloable, potentially, but with varying amounts of stuff to avoid

Hold that thought of content scaling to different levels.

The Brawler's Guild. Introduced as testing their solo PvE mettle against some of the toughest creatures found in World of Warcraft."

My theory: the new rares are the combatants in the Brawler's Guild. They'll exist in the world in their own right, but will also scale to L90 (or, if they're being ambitious and making the feature scale more continuously, to 'your level') in the guild.

Yeah the funny thing is I keep acquiring all of this gold, but I really am pretty frugal when it comes to spending it. So I pretty much have 700K gold just for the sake of having it. I might start getting involved in GDKP runs this expansion though since my guild cannot field a raid and I am not sure I want to be on the hook to raid every week anymore. As long as I am somewhat consistent in doing the runs I should not be looking at losing a ton of money by doing so.

The beauty of GDKP is that as long as you don't spend an inordinate amount on a trinket or something, you'll pretty much break even across multiple runs. If you buy just one thing for an average price or on the cheap, you'll probably make more money from the payout (or only be out a bit) than you lost. ICC GDKP runs is where I made a good bit of gold that I wasn't making elsewhere (going from around 10k at most to 20k+ - biggest hump at least at the time) that really helped me build the small fortune I have now.

No, there's no bank that gives you interest in WoW, but having a good base of gold lets you do so much more (depth/breadth of crafting/flipping/etc. investments) which is about equivalent, than just feel comfortable about repairs/consumables.

Oh, and besides the Pandaria rares being a hit (I think - most spawn frequently enough, even on a server as crowded as Mal'Ganis), if they really are putting a bunch of new rares (and they aren't just all hunter pets) in the older zones with similar kinds of vanity things, I think that would be great. Would also love to see more rare objects spread about the old zones like the mining pick and others in Pandaria.

Robin64

I've only ever seen two Pandaria rares and one of them was a bug guy in Four Winds that utterly kicked my arse.

I did find a ghost though that when spoken to gave me a grey item that had the text "+15 Woodworking". Wonderful.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've only ever seen two Pandaria rares and one of them was a bug guy in Four Winds that utterly kicked my arse.

I did find a ghost though that when spoken to gave me a grey item that had the text "+15 Woodworking". Wonderful.

Only 2? Damn man, they are all over the place. :p

Entropia

No One Remembers
I always despise having to use things that aren't part of the game to play the game.

Yeah, I never saw a need for it or anything. I still don't, but I have it installed just because of the amount of rares that are out there.

My only gripe is having to clear that cache file every time you re-open the game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If you don't have NPCScan, that's probably why.

I should probably download it too, i think i also only saw 2 of them, and one was a panda who was meditating in western Townlong Steppes i think... he kicked my ass badly with his 3000k+ HP and abilities that can easily kill you when i was lvl 88-89.

Ultratech

Yeah, I know, I'm just never lucky. Maybe I should install that NPCScan doohicky.

Yeah, if you have NPCScan and keep the cache clear, they pop up like crazy.

Speaking of that though, I finally ran into a Pandaria rare I couldn't solo. It was one of the Pandaren rares in Dread Wastes. I couldn't keep interrupting her heals, since I'd run out of interrupts and she'd heal like 2-3 times in a row.
Ended up having to have a guildie help me kill her. (In retrospect, I had about 2 more interrupts I didn't think of using...stupid me.)

Surprising, since I typically don't have a problem with rares, and as a Hunter, I can solo them pretty well, even if it does take a while. Especially those ones with 4 mil HP...
Every time I run into a Rare in Pandaria, this song plays in my head.

Bizazedo

I think world bosses on random timers that cause a stir are a great idea. That being said, I also think the "problem" which we're seeing Galleon cause is that because he's the only target, you have tthe insanity of 100 people in a circle for 24 hours+.

As for Yoshi.....yes, it's silly, but having done equally stupid things myself in Everquest, I can't bash him for it. I get it.

Separately (and perhaps related to that lol), Depleted Kyparium Rocket get!

Robin64

I had the exact same problem against a healing Pandaren rare. Blood elf ret paladin, so I was able to fist her and arcane torrent her, but then when both those were still cooling down, she'd go and heal again. Annoying. Must've been fighting her for 10 mins before a dwarf landed and helped out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Delete this file:
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb
Just delete it, straight up ._.? Will it create a new one automatically?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Has Blizzard ever said anything about pooling currencies account-wide in WoW like Diablo III?

They mentioned they'd like gold to be account wide, but I doubt other currencies would make it to that system.

I have to say that I would be in favor of account wide currencies 110%. It would be nice to not have stuff like cooking rewards and darkmoon fair tokens tied to characters. If you grind it on any toon, then any of your other toons should be able to use them IMHO. I mean why not? Having to grind all of those little currency circles on multiple toons is like the one thing left that is non-alt friendly. If they made both currency and reputations account wide, well then we'd be free to level up any new toon we wanted and switch mains completely independent of negatives, you would only really need to play to gear up and be ready to go. Which would be AWESOME.

I don't see any reason to be against this, from anyone's point of view...?

I have to say that I would be in favor of account wide currencies 110%. It would be nice to not have stuff like cooking rewards and darkmoon fair tokens tied to characters. If you grind it on any toon, then any of your other toons should be able to use them IMHO. I mean why not? Having to grind all of those little currency circles on multiple toons is like the one thing left that is non-alt friendly. If they made both currency and reputations account wide, well then we'd be free to level up any new toon we wanted and switch mains completely independent of negatives, you would only really need to play to gear up and be ready to go. Which would be AWESOME.

I don't see any reason to be against this, from anyone's point of view...?

The main downside is having to make the quests/actions account wide instead of character based for these currencies.

How many times do you have to clear cache? And you have to quit, than delete and than go back in game?

Just whenever you want a mob you've seen to pop up on the scan again. Usually I clear it every few days or once a week unless I've seen a bunch of things, or something I'm specifically tracking. But you do have to keep clearing it indefinitely for the addon to work properly, and yes, you have to be out of the game to delete the file. It will repopulate fine - there's no negative consequences to getting rid of it.

Ultratech

I had the exact same problem against a healing Pandaren rare. Blood elf ret paladin, so I was able to fist her and arcane torrent her, but then when both those were still cooling down, she'd go and heal again. Annoying. Must've been fighting her for 10 mins before a dwarf landed and helped out.

Normally, it's not an issue for me since there's a bit of lag time before they attempt to cast it again. However, this particular mob would attempt to heal, I'd interrupt, then a few seconds later, attempt to heal again.

I didn't even think to use all my availible options, since I was just using Silencing Shot and Intimidate. I could've used Scatter Shot or even Freezing Trap (which would be very last resort due to the arming time on Trap Launcher; I'd probably never get it off in time).

Just delete it, straight up ._.? Will it create a new one automatically?

Yup. The game will make a new one when you start up the game. You can make a .bat file and make it to where it automatically deletes it before starting up the game.

Robin64

They don't want you to be able to gear up someone you aren't playing, so things like Justice/Valor and Honor/Conquest are off the cards. I'd love to see other stuff account-wide though. Ironpaw, Crusader, World Tree, Coins, all that jazz.

Yeah, if you have NPCScan and keep the cache clear, they pop up like crazy.

Speaking of that though, I finally ran into a Pandaria rare I couldn't solo. It was one of the Pandaren rares in Dread Wastes. I couldn't keep interrupting her heals, since I'd run out of interrupts and she'd heal like 2-3 times in a row.
Ended up having to have a guildie help me kill her. (In retrospect, I had about 2 more interrupts I didn't think of using...stupid me

I fought a lvl 90 rare when I was 87 and the panda rotated between healing, an AE whirlwind attack, and a channeled DD spell. He cast them at random and could cast them multiple times in a row. My first fight was basically learning his mechanics. My second attempt I got him to 1/2 health. My third attempt got him below a third health. As I was getting ready for a fourth try, 3 90 horde dropped out of the sky and engaged. They got their asses handed to them, lol. The mage and shadow priest died to the very first AE. Even more horde showed up and they zerged him to death :(

He was an excellent challange for my bear druid. I had to juggle my interrupts and cooldowns and pray he didn't try and heal 3 times in a row. I really wish I had another shot at him. I'm hoping the Brawler faction has lots of fights like these. I could have played against that rare all damn day!

All of the other rares have been a push over in comparison.

idlewild_

6 days and two tickets later the Battle Helm of the Thunder King quest is still bugged in my server. I guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow's reset.

Ask someone from another server to invite you to group, that's what I did yesterday and it worked like a charm. When I got sent to their server, I saw like 5 or 6 other people from various other servers doing the same thing.

Top Bottom