• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

After eight years of failure I finally got that GOD DAMN HORSE.

IJGgxnp.jpg

Hallow's End can officially go eff itself.
ohh shit, grrats man!

Still going for mine. Have four characters run it at this point :lol no luck yet though.

How can someone "not get" the appeal of heirlooms even if they don't want to level quickly themselves? Lol

It's something that speeds up a long process. The value is self-evident.

Once you go with looms you never go back.

If you want to get anything done with any expediency, looms are the way to go.

Because the actual point of the game is loot. And heirlooms destroy that completely. I still level fast enough where that extra 30% or whatever doesn't mean much when I'm fully rested on most chars anyway. These garrosh looms are literally the only looms I've ever owned.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh. Loot is a big part of WoW, but it's not the actual point of the game. It's not a loot game like Diablo. It's a primarily a content game where loot is a means to an end whereas Diablo there effectively is no end besides the loot. Sure loot is a nice reward, but the real victory comes from downing bosses. If you play WoW only for loot you're doing it wrong.

And the bonus XP does make a HUGE difference.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've done the hardcore raiding and world first races.. it gets old real fast, whether it's 40, 25, or 10 man. Pvp is the real reason to play the game anyway, the mode where loot differentiation is least emphasized. But like the guy said above, I like grabbing random gear while I level. If I just keep slots filled all the time, meh..

also, no clue why guys are going ape shit over that ugly ass black horse mount. It's the same shit, different skin.

RPGCrazied

Had to downgrade my WoD CE to normal so I can have more funds to get a PS4, its time. I really wanted that mousepad, oh well. If its anything like MoP, the CE should be available long after release and I can get it later.

Kraftwerk

I've done the hardcore raiding and world first races.. it gets old real fast, whether it's 40, 25, or 10 man. Pvp is the real reason to play the game anyway, the mode where loot differentiation is least emphasized. But like the guy said above, I like grabbing random gear while I level. If I just keep slots filled all the time, meh..

also, no clue why guys are going ape shit over that ugly ass black horse mount. It's the same shit, different skin.

"Pvp is the real reason to play the game anyway"

That is your opinion of course.

And nearly all the mounts are a reskin of something else. Guy is happy about getting a mount, chill out and don't shit on someone else if you don't like something.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Had to downgrade my WoD CE to normal so I can have more funds to get a PS4, its time. I really wanted that mousepad, oh well. If its anything like MoP, the CE should be available long after release and I can get it later.

No bullshit.. I'm using the tbc ce mousepad as we speak. It's the one thing that randomly followed me around my entire life. I didn't even want the ce, dude at store randomly gave it to me back then.

"Pvp is the real reason to play the game anyway"

That is your opinion of course.

And nearly all the mounts are a reskin of something else. Guy is happy about getting a mount, chill out and don't shit on someone else if you don't like something.

Do I seriously have to preface everything I type with "it's my opinion that.." ..like, really? Did I some how come across as trying to ram down your throat the idea that it's pvp or nothing? As for the mount, dude on the other page was willing to rage quit over it lol. I'm not shitting on someone getting an rng roll. -_-

Dresden

I actually like leveling. The sense of discovery and evolution going from 1 to cap appeals to me far more then the minute refinement of end-game.

Paradoxically, I also like heirlooms (although I only have one piece), because it can get to be a real chore near the cap.

The real endgame is getting there earlier than most and spending the rest of your month's subscription ganking them.

RPGCrazied

No bullshit.. I'm using the tbc ce mousepad as we speak. It's the one thing that randomly followed me around my entire life. I didn't even want the ce, dude at store randomly gave it to me back then.

They are really high quality. I like them. I have MoP, BC, Cata ones. Using the MoP one now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The real endgame is getting there earlier than most and spending the rest of your month's subscription ganking them.

Speaking of fast, I was a huge altaholic during the WOTLK days. I'd get a strange feeling of satisfaction from going through the 10-60 gauntlet just a bit faster each time.

Then Cat happened, and while I enjoy the changes to Azeroth overall, sometimes I miss streamlining the choppy progression of the old content with every new toon.

PvP has always been imbalanced in WoW though.

As of late I've been of the opinion that if I want to PvP I'd be better off playing Dota 2 or whatever. Not that the PvP can't be a fun diversion now and again, but I can't take all that chain CC bullshit seriously.

I'm an expert

They are really high quality. I like them. I have MoP, BC, Cata ones. Using the MoP one now.

One side of mine is peeling off a bit, but I can't blame it, it's been on like 4 continents and through a kid using it. In that sense, it is really durable. Also, best expansion..

IN MY OPINION

vocab

but I can't take all that chain CC bullshit seriously.

Pretty much. The problem I have with pvp is that it's incredibly broken 1v1 for some classes, but the game isn't balanced for 1v1. There are no support classes in WoW, but some of them feel unplayable in 1v1. In dota it's fine because you accept your role, and you aren't meant to 1v1 people as someone like crystal maiden. In WoW that shit doesn't exist. You either do damage or heal, and it's funny that some classes just cant do either well at all.

PVP has pretty much halted evolving the game play. Anything that could be potentially added into the game has to be looked at from two perspectives. I honestly just wish their was a pvp only spec that had different gameplay so we can finally get some new shit so some classes can actually deal with the bullshit.

I only care about end game raiding. It's why I play the game.

Fjordson

PvP is so incredibly boring to me. Like I watch top arena players on Twitch and it seems like torture (though spectating it is fairly entertaining). Constant CC and matches that drag on and on and on. I've played a bit with friends who are into rated BG's and arenas and I've just never enjoyed it. Occasionally you'll get an exciting close match or something, but I always get sick of it after a while.

Questing and raiding will always be the heart of the WoW experience for me.

I'm an expert

You guys are typing stuff I've been reading for over a decade. Absolutely nothing different. Blizz has never balanced around pvp (in a good long time at least - skillcoil) but arena is the best thing that happened to the pvp game, and then rated bgs. Teamwork pvp. 1v1 was always "there's a flag, it's this guy vs me" in something like AB. It was never the core of the game. Grinding rank 14 in our premades was.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
may seem weird but ive never played WoW before. is it worth jumping in this late but also with expansion coming shortly. my passed mmo history is mostly most free to play (played pretty much most of them from 2moons/dekaron to requiem bloodymare to marvel heroes). also guild wars etc.

is this game enjoyable (not sure if thats right word here) for someone jumping in so late.

StayDead

may seem weird but ive never played WoW before. is it worth jumping in this late but also with expansion coming shortly. my passed mmo history is mostly most free to play (played pretty much most of them from 2moons/dekaron to requiem bloodymare to marvel heroes). also guild wars etc.

is this game enjoyable (not sure if thats right word here) for someone jumping in so late.

I'd say the game is enjoyable for people hopping in and also it's worth jumping in now since you won't even need to buy the expansion until you hit near max level (unless you want to take advantage of the preorder free 90 boost but tbh, I think it's better if you play through the game with a class to get to grips with it and the game so even if you choose to do it then level a character from level 1 to help.

I joined the game 1 month after TBC released but I didn't actually buy TBC until I hit 60 which took me a while :p

I have to make one of the hardest decisions of my WoW career yet.

I have two potential offers from two separate guilds on two separate servers for raiding. One guild seems like they are better at progressing, but they are on a low pop server. The other guild is on a high pop server, but seems to be a little slower at progressing.

I love raiding and being at the cutting edge of progression, but I don't want to go back to a low pop server.

At the same time, the lower progressed team seems to have they Mythic team pretty much set for next expac, but the higher progressed team still kinda seemed like they were having some troubles.

I raided with the lower progressed team yesterday and they seemed nice and they invited me back on Tuesday. I already set up a schedule to raid with the higher progressed team on Tuesday.

Decisions, decisions...what do?

iirate

Because the actual point of the game is loot. And heirlooms destroy that completely. I still level fast enough where that extra 30% or whatever doesn't mean much when I'm fully rested on most chars anyway. These garrosh looms are literally the only looms I've ever owned.

Eh, not for everyone. Even when I was on the cutting edge of progression(seven years ago), loot was always just a means to an end for me. I was far more interested in seeing how far I could push myself as a player, and thus I needed to kill the strongest stuff in the game. Loot just kind of came along with that.

I actually like leveling. The sense of discovery and evolution going from 1 to cap appeals to me far more then the minute refinement of end-game.

Paradoxically, I also like heirlooms (although I only have one piece), because it can get to be a real chore near the cap.

This is how I feel, too. Time permitting, I enjoy putting on some music or a podcast and questing all day. At the same time, heirlooms make the process even easier, and thus more relaxing, while giving me an even stronger sense of progression through faster leveling. Plus, I'm a transmog junkie and heirlooms make it easier to maintain while leveling.

Mastamind

Didnt play at all on mop and just recently leveled a hunter to 90. So far on the hunter i've been mainly going through the zones to see the quests I haven't done (everything past jade forest).

I plan on playing my prot paladin for WoD, I haven't done most of the dungeons in mop and none of the heroics or scenarios. When the paladin hits 90 should i do the heroics/raids this late in the expansion or just kill time till WoD comes out?

vocab

I have to make one of the hardest decisions of my WoW career yet.

I have two potential offers from two separate guilds on two separate servers for raiding. One guild seems like they are better at progressing, but they are on a low pop server. The other guild is on a high pop server, but seems to be a little slower at progressing.

I love raiding and being at the cutting edge of progression, but I don't want to go back to a low pop server.

At the same time, the lower progressed team seems to have they Mythic team pretty much set for next expac, but the higher progressed team still kinda seemed like they were having some troubles.

I raided with the lower progressed team yesterday and they seemed nice and they invited me back on Tuesday. I already set up a schedule to raid with the higher progressed team on Tuesday.

Decisions, decisions...what do?
What do you mean by troubles?

I'm an expert

Eh, not for everyone. Even when I was on the cutting edge of progression(seven years ago), loot was always just a means to an end for me. I was far more interested in seeing how far I could push myself as a player, and thus I needed to kill the strongest stuff in the game. Loot just kind of came along with that.

There's essentially a basic skill level in this game, sort of like hearthstone. Once you reach that level, there's really nothing in the game they can throw at you that's difficult. And it's usually gear that's really holding you back because you haven't squeezed every bit out yet. I haven't felt "challenged" by any of the pve content in this game in a looooong time. Unless they some how switched the mechanics drastically (which, the way they redid some of the classes, might be this expac actually), I don't really see how pve content will ever "challenge" me. The challenge was always the synchronization of your raid to execute, not the encounter itself. Knowing your rotation inside out doesn't take much effort.

There are other "challenges," though, like total mastery of your character. I remember when that warlock soloed heroic lich king. That was a great mastery of the game and mechanics.

Pvp for me is the only challenge in the game because another player is always dynamic and not scripted. The random situations that arise are very enjoyable, and it really takes thinking outside the box sometimes to overcome another player, not just knowing the basic branched paths for your rotation. When Laintime dropped his warrior pvp video we were all like omgggggg at how he played out situations we'd been in but never thought to play like that.

What do you mean by troubles?

They weren't 100% sure of getting 20 people for Mythics. Another thing I noticed was during the interview the officer mentioned a lot of stuff about people having drama issues and stuff with the GM.

I'll probably give them a shot on Tuesday and see what their personality is like. If all bears well I'm leaning towards them right now, simply because I play the game to raid. But oh how I will miss being on a high pop server. T_T

vocab

They weren't 100% sure of getting 20 people for Mythics. Another thing I noticed was during the interview the officer mentioned a lot of stuff about people having drama issues and stuff with the GM.

I'll probably give them a shot on Tuesday and see what their personality is like. If all bears well I'm leaning towards them right now, simply because I play the game to raid. But oh how I will miss being on a high pop server. T_T

If they are running on a tight 20 man team with no backups, that is pretty troubling. If one person cant make it, you're basically screwed. We recently picked up a hunter, and we have about 23-26 people.

Ya, give them a shot, and see how it is. If they are all assholes, and getting shit done then that's cool. It really depends on what the drama is. Because that shit can get out of control really fast. Pretty much destroyed my guild twice, and were forced to go to ten man to clear the content. Pretty sad when they were easily world 100 quality.

Have you compared the logs of the two guilds, and check the quality of players?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wow, old dungeons are still fucked after the squish. Even in heirlooms and moonkin armor, I get two shotted by regular enemies. I just saw a monk tank get splattered by the monk in SM.

Too bad Blizzard has adopted the 'lol we'll get to it when we feel like it if it's not end-game content.' No reason to dungeon level anymore, really if you're just trying to get through it as fast as possible.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, I don't know about pre-60 content...

But once I discovered LFR my 60+ leveling got much faster. It is essentially 4-5 quests for less time than it would take to do those quests, given travel time and quest item drops.

Have you compared the logs of the two guilds, and check the quality of players?

You know what, that's actually one thing I had not done yet. I had compared the guilds' WoWProgress pages, but that's about it.

EDIT: Actually I believe I might have already, but the logs were so old that they had been archived already.

I'm an expert

Bet you didn't see that cyclone coming.

Considering cc has been nerfed dramatically from tbc days.. I don't even know why guys are hung up on cc. Hell, pvp is about the only place you find it anymore period. Why even have sheep or cyclone anymore.

For reference, all our mythic teams currently have rosters of 27-28 or so with room to cut down a bit as people drop out or trials fail. Besides having a large bench to be flexible for pushing progression fights. I wouldn't run less than 25 people on a full mythic roster.

Struggling to fill a 20-man is concerning, since it would indicate a 10-man that has tried to grow rather than a 20-man that has cut down. No hard evidence for this, but I think most of those will fail or generally be less stable.

My guild is fairly unique in that we'll be running 7 mythic raid teams in WoD and we've been able to pull on the larger guild resources to fill slots when needed - never had to outright cancel a raid for attendance. I don't know if I could stand going back to a smaller guild and the problems sometimes associated with it.

I don't know if I could stand going back to a smaller guild and the problems sometimes associated with it.

That is definitely some good food for thought. In my situation, the lower progressed guild I'm debating over has been around for 3 years.

I did just remember another reason why I'm hesitant to joint he lower progressed guild, they only raid twice a week, whereas the higher progressed guild raids 3x/week.

I feel like there is some definite cause and effect going on there.

I raided 2 nights/week 3 hours/night for most of this tier and we went 14/14H pre-patch but barely. The caveat there is that the team started near the beginning of the year rather than the start of the patch, so we were something like 3-5 months behind in terms of time spent raiding. We did still beat one of the 3-night teams in the guild to heroic Garrosh, but they had a lot of roster problems.

I am switching to a 3-night team for WoD though (earlier times besides the extra time) because I wanted to raid a bit more and the extra time each week DOES make a difference. Time management clearing farm and trash was a large part of the battle when you're limited to 6 hours a week. 3 or 4 days gives that extra little buffer to allow for bad nights and such without resorting to extending as much as we did to get our first H Garrosh kill (we went straight Siegecrafter -> Paragons -> Garrosh without any farm).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wow, old dungeons are still fucked after the squish. Even in heirlooms and moonkin armor, I get two shotted by regular enemies. I just saw a monk tank get splattered by the monk in SM.

Too bad Blizzard has adopted the 'lol we'll get to it when we feel like it if it's not end-game content.' No reason to dungeon level anymore, really if you're just trying to get through it as fast as possible.
I went from 30-60 this week almost entirely through dungeons. I didn't notice people dying super quickly but with some of the lesser tanks it was at least moderately tasking, which I found to be a welcome change from the pre-squish stuff. I did RFD along the way, and if that's the one they reworked it was remarkably easy compared to every other dungeon.

vocab

I would not judge post squish dungeons based on one tank (a BrM at that). I have only did SFK, BRD (all of it), and Sunken Temple since the patch. Seemed fine. I Pulled a lot in BRD, and it felt like a normal dungeon. Of course if I knew how to pally tank it would of been easier. I forgot like two things for mitagation, and it was just harder because of it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Good thing you can't queue as tank as a dps huh. =|

Kraftwerk

There's essentially a basic skill level in this game, sort of like hearthstone. Once you reach that level, there's really nothing in the game they can throw at you that's difficult. And it's usually gear that's really holding you back because you haven't squeezed every bit out yet. I haven't felt "challenged" by any of the pve content in this game in a looooong time. Unless they some how switched the mechanics drastically (which, the way they redid some of the classes, might be this expac actually), I don't really see how pve content will ever "challenge" me. The challenge was always the synchronization of your raid to execute, not the encounter itself. Knowing your rotation inside out doesn't take much effort.

Well, you have players who are currently in #1 guilds, and blizz literally asks them for class advice when moving forward, and even they constantly feel challenged with new content. You have people who wiped on Heroic Ragnaros 500 times. The same pople, who are the top of their game went on to wipe to Siegcrafter and garrosh 500-700 times.

And yes, gear does help, but these folks who are at the top of their game, still wipe to siegcrafter and garrosh when someone fucks up or when they lost focus for a pull. They havent really done many patchwerk style fights lately, so that you could just stack dps and zerg though the mechanics, which would simply reck you.

I just dont agree with someone not finding the content challenging, no matter how good you are.

There is simply no 'ceiling' in wow. you can only get better and better.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Toybox related, but I hope they add a new Ogre Idol that is actually acquired in the fucking game with the new ogre models.

ampere

Been selling Heroic Garrosh heirloom runs tonight, making some good money. Prob will buy some TCG pets or a mount on the AH

Toybox related, but I hope they add a new Ogre Idol that is actually acquired in the fucking game with the new ogre models.

AGREED

The item is hundreds of USD on ebay now, wtf.

For fuck's sake fix the god damn Roll mechanic for soloing Spine already.

They did 'fix' it. Takes 10 seconds to roll now you just have to move around a lot.

I can post a vid if you need to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom