• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Patch 6.2 - Fury of Hellfire out June 23 (check if you like TBC)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
furyofhellfire9qyt3.png

Trailer: https://youtu.be/QUtoLaQfC0A

This was announced today:

Patch 6.2: Fury of Hellfire is almost here! On Tuesday, June 23 players will be able to build their Garrison Shipyard and venture into Tanaan Jungle to face Gul’dan and the twisted remnants of the Iron Horde. Hellfire Citadel Normal and Heroic modes will also be available for those who are brave enough to confront the dangers within.
Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19803325/patch-62-fury-of-hellfire-arrives-june-23-6-17-2015

I normally don't make threads for patches, but this one is quite anticipated as it is likely the last big patch concerning the Iron Horde (which was introduced in Warlords of Draenor) and instead shifting focus to the Burning Legion, demons and fel powers. And as The Burning Crusade is regarded by many as the greatest expansion, perhaps this can be of interest.

New features

• Zone Unlocked: The Invasion of Tanaan Jungle
  • New Garrison Feature: Shipyard and Naval Missions
  • New Raid: Hellfire Citadel
  • New Dungeon Difficulty: Mythic
  • Adventure Guide (suggests content based on character level, item level etc.)
  • Finish the Legendary Ring Quest Line
  • Bonus Events (Activities granting a passive bonus to a particular game activity)
    • Timewalking - The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King
    • Draenor Dungeons (increased reputation and loot)
    • Battlegrounds (triple Honor points)
    • Arena Skirmishes (triple Honor points)
    • Apexis Crystals (triple the amount)
    • Pet Battles (triple pet experience, chance on Ultimate Battle-Training Stone)
You can read the full patch notes here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18539917/62-ptr-patch-notes-june-2-6-2-2015

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Those colors... fucking TBC, man.

Tenebrous

Nostalgia aside, the patch seems like a case of too little too late. I'll check it out now I'm playing for free, but my expectations are practically zero.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Dawg

I think WoW is finally over for me. Played it since 2006, became less active around ~2011 and eventually only played when a new expansion/patch would come out.

I still get nostalgia bombs when I rewatch old footage and patch trailers or listen to some of the music, but I'm pretty much done with the game.

The nostalgia will never, ever leave though. Simply watching the Zul'Aman trailer Tenebrous posted ITT was enough to bombard me with several nostalgic thoughts :( I'm grateful for having experienced WoW from Vanilla until now. Was one of my best gaming experiences ever and I don't think I'll ever play a MMO again like I used to play WoW.

Schryver

Don't remember ever watching the ToT trailer even though I was playing a lot and raiding when it came out. Good stuff

M.D

Right around the time that my sub expires.
I was playing all day for a few months, really got into raiding with my guild and then out of nowhere lost all intrest the same week I re-subscribed

I played less then a year and had a lot of fun but doubt I'll ever play again

HowZatOZ

Banned
Are they still on track for one expansion a year or is that still pie in the sky talk? Do we even expect another large patch after this or will it devolve into small ones while everyone waits for the expansion.

Bregor

Looks good to me. A little late, but not anywhere near as bad as Seige was. Note that if they wanted to get the next expansion out within 6 months of the release of the last tier (their stated goal), it should fall in November or December. This would require they announce it _very_ soon.

Pretty much. 4.1 was mainly the continuation of the legendary ring quest along with Blood Elf models and the long awaited, frequently demanded S.E.L.F.I.E. camera.

Man, if you think about it, 8 months x $15.

People paid $120 for this content. I mean, yeah, they're paying for the service, but that's a shitton of money for so little content.

Tenebrous

Man, if you think about it, 8 months x $15.

People paid $120 for this content. I mean, yeah, they're paying for the service, but that's a shitton of money for so little content.

And that content isn't really of a spectacular quality, either - Especially from a PvE point of view. Pretty much every TBC raid was more impressive in 07/08 than Highmaul is now, and some raids, like (TBC) ZA, are better than Highmaul regardless of time comparisons. I still can't believe they launched an expansion with just that one terrible raid.

Sophia

Didn't Blizzard say a few years back they wanted to push out content faster?

Somehow I don't think one content patch in eight months is going to attract customers. Especially when their competitors are anywhere from a few months to a few weeks.

Friend of mine keeps wanting me to go back, but I can't justify it anymore. I kept getting bored and playing other games. This patch doesn't seem like it has a lot of content in either. :\

Brokun

And that content isn't really of a spectacular quality, either - Especially from a PvE point of view. Pretty much every TBC raid was more impressive in 07/08 than Highmaul is now, and some raids, like (TBC) ZA, are better than Highmaul regardless of time comparisons. I still can't believe they launched an expansion with just that one terrible raid.

What's terrible about it?

lazygecko

Didn't Blizzard say a few years back they wanted to push out content better?

Somehow I don't think one content patch in eight months is going to attract customers. Especially when their competitors are anywhere from a few months to a few weeks.

Friend of mine keeps wanting me to go back, but I can't justify it anymore. I kept getting bored and playing other games. :\

It's something they've been saying consistently since... well, the first expansion. And this time their team has allegedly doubled since people from the cancelled Titan project were brought back into the fold. Yet it seems slower than ever.

The way they started designing the game around actively herding the playerbase towards the latest raid tier some time during WotLK also seems counter-intuitive and only exasperates the content drought problem as more people consume the content faster.

Sophia

It's something they've been saying consistently since... well, the first expansion. And this time their team has allegedly doubled since people from the cancelled Titan project were brought back into the fold. Yet it seems slower than ever.

The way they started designing the game around actively herding the playerbase towards the latest raid tier some time during WotLK also seems counter-intuitive and only exasperates the content drought problem as more people consume the content faster.

Yeah. That time period (late WotLK) is about the time I started seeing people gradually slip away too. :\

Okay, just watched the patch trailer. While it was decent, it was one of those "low budget" trailers (identical to the trash that was Hour of Twilight and nowhere near as well written and/or as absolutely fucking amazing as The Thunder King, Rage of the Firelands or The Black Temple.

What do you guys think is the best patch trailer?

I know jack and all about WoW, but I just watched The Black Temple trailer and wow, that was really good. Great voice acting, and gripping considering it was in game. Cool stuff

Yoshichan

Regarding the poem in "The Thunder King", I just read this:
The poems main verses are exactly eight syllables per line and a iambic octameter. Dave Kosak chose a iambic because every other syllable is stressed. "When from her sacred vale did spring -- built by slaves their hearts in chains" -- all the important words are accented, every other syllable. Kosak worked hard on that, to get three line rhymes, to get eight syllables per line. They had a version of the poem that was three stanzas of four lines each, but the music that we did had four musical phrases, followed by the transitional sequence. Kosak wanted the poem to match the music, so they went back to the drawing board and he had to re-write the poem and try to get everyone on the quest team to help feed him rhymes. Finally they came up with four three line stanzas that fits into the music. So if you listen to the trails music, you can see there's a change in between each stanza helping to build an epic experience.
Very interesting for someone who appreciated the trailer :)

Tenebrous

What's terrible about it?

It's just nothing special, and paired with the fact it was the only raid available on launch, my feelings towards it are amplified. Cleared it on normal in the first reset week, and was never inspired to go back.

Apt101

I think I'll take a return trip to Eorzea instead and check out Heavensward, but it's good to know this is finally out. I haven't been paying attention to WoW after playing Draenor some and leaving months ago. I just assumed this patch was already out. Man, Blizzard is still glacial with these patches.

After playing FFXIVZ and enjoying the frequency of updates...I can't ever go back to this... Sorry Blizzard. You never should have killed Kael and Arthas.

Schryver

Looks good to me. A little late, but not anywhere near as bad as Seige was. Note that if they wanted to get the next expansion out within 6 months of the release of the last tier (their stated goal), it should fall in November or December. This would require they announce it _very_ soon.
Is this (2nd tier right?) the last tier already?

Top Bottom