• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Case Scenario for the Vita

They're obviously targeting PSP owners but they shouldn't have ignored the importance of giving long time PSP owners an easy upgrade path until the Vita's library improves.

It wouldn't have been easy but I can guarantee you that Vita would be doing better if there was more incentive for people with UMDs to upgrade.

I don't really think that was viable, especially for 3rd party games.

Zee-Row

Banned
Razor scooters!

LOL that one of the main reasons Nintendo went back to a regular controller for the Wii-U , sure it has a touch screen but its still a regular controller with no waggling. All the casuals that got wowed with waggle are gone now.

What does this have to do with anything? It's better for the consumer if Nintendo followed Sony's route with ps1/ps2 classics. Buy it once, run it on any device. It's not even just a Sony thing, it's the industry standard. When you buy an iphone app, you don't have to buy it again to use it on the ipad, or vice versa.

I think we're at the point where Nintendo can cook up NES/SNES/N64 emulators and run them on all their consoles.
Did I miss something or are PS2 games coming to Vita as well?

It's worth noting Sony isn't entirely consistent in this either. NeoGeo games aren't cross compatible, and Genesis/Dreamcast aren't cross supported.

i'm talking about the N64 games i bought in the shop for Wii and that i want them playable on 3ds.
They won't be, I doubt N64 ever makes it to 3DS VC due to interface differences. 3D remakes are a better route anyway.

Zekes!

They're obviously targeting PSP owners but they shouldn't have ignored the importance of giving long time PSP owners an easy upgrade path until the Vita's library improves.

It wouldn't have been easy but I can guarantee you that Vita would be doing better if there was more incentive for people with UMDs to upgrade.

I would've bought a Vita day one if there was an easier way to play my PSP games. I realize how difficult that may be, but if some how it had happened, yeah, I'd own a Vita right now.

Vita can't play umds or pirated games.

Ice cold.

LOL that one of the main reasons Nintendo went back to a regular controller for the Wii-U , sure it has a touch screen but its still a regular controller with no waggling. All the casuals that got wowed with waggle are gone now.

Consoles that appeal to the "casuals" sell better than ones that don't (look at the 360 sales after Kinect built up some momentum), & as for the Wii U the Wiimote+ featured in all the promo vids so far(I believe they went backward with their controller because of developers, not consumers).

Rich!

They won't be, I doubt N64 ever makes it to 3DS VC due to interface differences. 3D remakes are a better route anyway.

3DS theoretically has enough behind it to run a high level N64 emulator but probably not well enough overall for Nintendo to ever consider implementing it for the mass market.

I don't see why they can't put SNES on the 3DS VC though. I would love to have SNES games on the go, and there's nothing really stopping them.

Zee-Row

Banned
Ice cold.

Consoles that appeal to the "casuals" sell better than ones that don't (look at the 360 sales after Kinect built up some momentum), & as for the Wii U the Wiimote+ featured in all the promo vids so far(I believe they went backward with their controller because of developers, not consumers).

I'm pretty sure Wii Remotes won't be required for the games though. It will just be a "Better with Kinect" scenario. Which is great for me because I don't like using the Wii remote , Kinect or the Move. I like the options instead of just being stuck with one control scheme.

3DS theoretically has enough behind it to run a high level N64 emulator but probably not well enough overall for Nintendo to ever consider implementing it for the mass market.

I don't see why they can't put SNES on the 3DS VC though. I would love to have SNES games on the go, and there's nothing really stopping them.
I think SNES will happen. Probably also SMS/Genesis, NeoGeo and possibly MSX and C64.

BigDug13

You paid to play them on the Wii, nothing else. I own plenty of games that are on the VC but I have never once thought that Nintendo should give them to me for free(& I paid a lot more money for them than you did for yours, why should you receive better treatment than me?). Also do you believe that Microsoft are dinosaurs? They have very similar policies (Game Room, WP7 etc.), it seems Sony are the odd ones out ( & I gave a potential reason why).

The bolded is simply incorrect.

You don't think in the portable market. In a world where you can buy a game on your iphone1 and pay nothing to play a patched, graphically improved version of that same game on your iPhone 4S. You don't think that the old "industry norm" of purchases not being allowed over cross platforms has been murdered and buried? You really think Nintendo can get away with recharging for the same 1988 game over and over with zero graphical improvement and continue to get away with it?

The "industry norm" dictated by the unmatched success of the iOS app store is for your purchase to be cross platform usable. Even if the app isn't "universal", all that means is a separate purchase for your iPad, but that is not a requirement. That iPhone version of the game will still run across every single iOS system you have.

Sony is obviously onboard with what they see as the new industry norm. Not sure that Nintendo's old model of charging for the same game every few years is sustainable.

Where does this theory come from? 3DS isn't even as powerful as the PSP and the PSP can only manage PS1 emulation at most. Just because Nintendo ported a couple N64 games to the system, that doesn't have anything to do with emulation, which requires a whole lot more juice.

Besides, you're missing a 3 buttons from the N64 controller.

But all the other older systems, there should already be a wealth of games. The fact that I can get a ton of SEGA classics on iOS and I still can't get them on the 3DS store is not good. I can buy Sonic 1, 2, Shining Force, Altered Beast 1-3, Streets of Rage, etc. I can buy A Bard's Tale (PS2) and GTA3 (PC-level graphics) on there as well. When the iphone 10 is released, those same game purchases should still be available for me to download for free (due to my initial purchase during the iphone 4 days) as opposed to the Nintendo model of recharging for the same thing each gen.

jondy1703

Neo Member
I am I the only one that feels as though a lot of the same stuff was being said about the 3DS Pre-E3 last year? There were absolutely no games. This is coming from someone who bought a 3DS at launch too. Zelda was the only somewhat worthy game to buy that was in sight... at least the Vita had games worth buying at launch, plus MK comes next week and the Zelda equivalent MGS Vita Collection is coming soon too.

I think they'll give a great showing at E3 and support will come. Price drop around holidays probably.

Worst case scenario, there's no 3rd party support shown at E3 and they do a 3DS magnitude price drop.

OmegaZero

Where does this theory come from? 3DS isn't even as powerful as the PSP and the PSP can only manage PS1 emulation at most. Just because Nintendo ported a couple N64 games to the system, that doesn't have anything to do with emulation, which requires a whole lot more juice.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say the 3DS is weaker then the PSP?

Rich!

Where does this theory come from? 3DS isn't even as powerful as the PSP and the PSP can only manage PS1 emulation at most.

You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about, so shut the fuck up.

PSP can only manage PS1 emulation at the most? Obviously you've never seen Deadealus 64, a full N64 emulator for the PSP which can run Mario 64 with sound at full speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OIEo_HRqA

And the 3DS is several magnitudes more powerful than the PSP. Don't even make me get the specs to compare them - even if I did, I doubt you'd even be able to understand what's been placed in front of you.

This is a problem for me as well. They should at least pack in a card with the system. 2 to 4 GB in every Vita should be standard.

I can't understand this.

So, you're not buying Vita because it don't have a 2 to 4Gb memory card. But... if you find a Vita offer that has a memory card bundled (or a 20$ cheaper Vita, that will afford to buy a Vita and a card for the regular price) you'll jump in?

Because if very easy to find offers and bundles to get a Vita and a card for the same price that Vita was at launch. And even 20-30$ cheaper.

I can't understand this.

So, you're not buying Vita because it don't have a 2 to 4Gb memory card. But... if you find a Vita offer that has a memory card bundled (or a 20$ cheaper Vita, that will afford to buy a Vita and a card for the regular price) you'll jump in?

Because if very easy to find offers and bundles to get a Vita and a card for the same price that Vita was at launch. And even 20-30$ cheaper.

Probably because a card less than 16 gigs won't cut it.

BigDug13

PSP can only manage PS1 emulation at the most? Obviously you've never seen Deadealus 64, a full N64 emulator for the PSP which can run Mario 64 with sound at full speed:

And the 3DS is several magnitudes more powerful than the PSP. Don't even make me get the specs to compare them - even if I did, I doubt you'd even be able to understand what's been placed in front of you.

Dude, calm down. So I made one mistake. I remember N64 emulation to be extremely slow on PSP a few years ago. Now it can run the launch game at full speed. Ok fine. And you're probably right in the 3DS more powerful than PSP angle even though games like Ridge Racer still look better on PSP.

I specifically asked "where does this theory come from?" and you explained it. There was no need for the insults. Did I start my statement off with you have no fucking clue?

That doesn't mean that full N64 emulation is ready to go on 3DS out of the box. If Nintendo had it ready, we would have heard something by now. Not to say that they are not currently working on it.

But my point still remains that Nintendo's model of reselling the same games over and over and over and over while other platforms are charging you once for the game and allowing you to continue playing it across all iterations of hardware is not sustainable.

sajj316

I can't understand this.

A previous post of mine goes through my other reasons why I have not bought a Vita yet. Now, I was making a point about the Vita with respect to the competitive landscape in comparison to the 3DS. I will shop for the best offer. So will you. For others, total cost of ownership is too high if all they do is shop Best Buy and GameStop. That's my point.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I actually want to purchase a Vita, but those memory cards are holding me back.

Those propietary formats keep pushing me away from sony products. It's absurd and unsustainable in this day and age. Specially since the goal of locking the consumer through hardware is nowadays obsolete; locking consumers through software is much better at keeping consumers hostage and less conspicuos, therefore easily accepted.

It's worth noting Sony isn't entirely consistent in this either. NeoGeo games aren't cross compatible, and Genesis/Dreamcast aren't cross supported.

But Master System/Genesis games were.

It's nice to want things.

IMO, it's a chicken and egg question. Will the developers get serious before the sales of consoles are significant? Who will take that risk in this economy? I say no, they won't. That's why it's distressing that Sony hasn't been more aggressive with their marketing. creative, system-defining software won't be made by the 3rd party in significant numbers until there is a base able to buy them to mitigate the risk.

Egg must come before the chicken, or the Vita will lose out.

No, with any hardware when it first launches the first party is both the chicken and the egg. They need to treat the Vita no different than the PS3/PS4 with the money for games and the quality of dev teams assigned to it if they want it to succeed. Third parties are going to push your platform after it gets going but at first, it must be dedicated exclusive games from the first party.

You don't think in the portable market. In a world where you can buy a game on your iphone1 and pay nothing to play a patched, graphically improved version of that same game on your iPhone 4S. You don't think that the old "industry norm" of purchases not being allowed over cross platforms has been murdered and buried? You really think Nintendo can get away with recharging for the same 1988 game over and over with zero graphical improvement and continue to get away with it?

As I keep pointing out Nintendo isn't the only company to think that this is an acceptable way to sell games (& as for "recharging over & over" most VC games are only available on the Wii, & I would happily bet that my Wii VC purchases will cross over to the Wii U), & a key difference between Nintendo & Sony is that Sony have a unified store, Nintendo don't.

But my point still remains that Nintendo's model of reselling the same games over and over and over and over while other platforms are charging you once for the game and allowing you to continue playing it across all iterations of hardware is not sustainable.

The problem is you think "Nintendo" is a platform, you are wrong.

Yep, as i just read, nothing less then a 16gb card will do for me if i bought a Vita and i damn sure am not paying 50 dollars extra over the PS VITA hardware cost just to get a game running on it. Also as others have said and now that i think about it, i have not bought any Sony product that has had a proprietary accessory needed for that hardware. I love that my 3DS came with a 2gb sd card in the price of the 3DS. Now granted i will finally be upgrading my SD to a 16 or 32gb sd card since Nintendo will start letting us buy DD content of retail game releases in August and going forward. Still though, even if i get a 32gb SD card upgrade for my 3DS, it will cost me as of now only 28 dollars versus 84 dollars for the 32gb vita card, ridiculous.

stilgar

ahahah oh wow

Some people should take a deep breath.

SmokyDave

Huh?

I have Metal Slug on my PS3, PSP & Vita. I'm sure it was the Neo Geo version and not PSP. UK Vita, if that matters.

jaxpunk

vFAWJ.png

I actually like move

Worst case scenario is that it sells 0 more vitas worldwide starting tomorrow.

A likely worst case scenario is that no more major sony franchises get on it for 2 or 3 years, playstation suite is a colossal failure, devs abandon the vita market for iphone development, the vita gets hacked and software sales plummet, and sales chug along at 1/10th of what the 3DS does.

You forgot aids

BigDug13

The problem is you think "Nintendo" is a platform, you are wrong.

The problem is that you think Nintendo can remain competitive by remaining separate from their own products, charging you $5 for super Mario bros 1 on Wii, then charging you $5 more for Super Mario Bros 1 on 3DS, you are wrong.

The iOS model of unified purchases across all platforms is clearly a superior choice for the consumer's game purchase.

If you honestly think otherwise, then you are ok with rebuying same content on different platforms from the same company and there's really nothing I can say to change your mind.

Sony really dropped the ball on that too. They could have done something like: Bring your UMD games to a Sony store, turn them in and get those games added to your playstation account. Boom, instant game library for Vita that you already paid for once. Nobody that has a PSP and UMDs wants to rebuy those same games digitally.

The problem is that you think Nintendo can remain competitive by remaining separate from their own products, charging you $5 for super Mario bros 1 on Wii, then charging you $5 more for Super Mario Bros 1 on 3DS, you are wrong.

The iOS model of unified purchases across all platforms is clearly a superior choice for the consumer's game purchase.

If you honestly think otherwise, then you are ok with rebuying same content on different platforms from the same company and there's really nothing I can say to change your mind.

Don't bother. They'll argue tooth and nail that this is totally normal practice.

Until of course Nintendo reveals their unified account system and cross compatible DD software. Then they'll be praising the high heavens and blasting any exceptions on this point on Sony or Apple's side.

But Master System/Genesis games were.
Genesis/SMS/Arcade (ie: Sega Vintage Collection) games on PS3 PSN aren't playable on PSP/Vita afaik.

Huh?

I have Metal Slug on my PS3, PSP & Vita. I'm sure it was the Neo Geo version and not PSP. UK Vita, if that matters.
Neo Geo PSN games have to be individually purchased on either PS3 or PSP/Vita. If you have it on both, you've paid for it on both.

Worst case scenario:

E3 with minimal amount of Vita games which would mean 1-2 years of system riding on the back of Sony studios till Sony can afford to make it 150 euro with memory built in.

Alright, I took the plunge. Picked up a Vita w/ Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Uncharted.

Very impressed so far. Some people may not like "full console experiences" in portable form, but I love it. Marvel vs Capcom runs silky smooth and shooting in Uncharted is actually fun and not cumbersome w/ two analog sticks.

Here's to crossing my fingers that this console actually moves some units and gets long term support. Because the hardware is definitely there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright, I took the plunge. Picked up a Vita w/ Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Uncharted.

Very impressed so far. Some people may not like "full console experiences" in portable form, but I love it. Marvel vs Capcom runs silky smooth and shooting in Uncharted is actually fun and not cumbersome w/ two analog sticks.

Here's to crossing my fingers that this console actually moves some units and gets long term support. Because the hardware is definitely there.
Have you tried using gyro assist for aiming in Uncharted? It feels really damn good.

I wish this option had shown up more on PS3, to be honest, though it feels best when the gyro and screen are directly connected.

SmokyDave

Neo Geo PSN games have to be individually purchased on either PS3 or PSP/Vita. If you have it on both, you've paid for it on both.

Are you sure about that? It's possible that I've bought it twice, but I can't see how that would have happened. I actually bought it on the Vita last, but are you telling me if I'd only bought it on Vita and then went to re-download it on my PS3, it wouldn't work? How can that be? It's a link to the exact same file, surely?

Edit: Thinking about it, I must've bought it on PS3 and PSP and then redownloaded the PSP version onto the Vita.

Sucks for those with a big physical PSP library, but I don't own UMDs so it's not an issue for me. I'll take Vita's BC over 3DS' BC any day.
I think the whole "it doesn't play UMDs" thing is a straw man argument, and I don't really believe that anyone would have bought the Vita for backward compatibility with UMDs despite their assertions to the contrary. I own about 300 UMDs (over 280 last time I updated my spreadsheet) and I bought Vita day one. I also bought a PSPgo day one. PSPgo was worth it for the form factor (it's my favorite "portable" system) and the Vita is worth it for the Vita games... Double-dipping on PSN at $10-$20 a pop on games I want to play on the PSPgo or Vita because I just can't stand to play them on my PSP3000 is a price I'm willing to pay because it's entirely voluntary, and I can still play all my UMDs on any of the several PSPs we've got lying around the house...

With the 3D off, sure. RE:R is 100x better with 3D off. I think the only game that was better with 3D was SM3DL
Quoted for truth... I'm playing Revelaitions right now and I tried so hard to do it with 3D on and without the Circle Pad Pro (so it would be commute-friendly). Hand cramps and headaches were not incentives to return to the game between play sessions. Turning 3D off and adding the Circle Pad Pro made the game playable for me....

Have you tried using gyro assist for aiming in Uncharted? It feels really damn good.

I wish this option had shown up more on PS3, to be honest, though it feels best when the gyro and screen are directly connected.

Was playing for about an hour and a half on the train into work this morning. Since the train is shaking I try not to use gyro functions. I'll try when I get home though.

I don't buy the same game across different formats, I just don't see the issue with treating a Handheld & a Console as separate things(especially as there are very few games available on both platforms, & I expect my Wii VC games to be playable on the Wii U), it's not like Nintendo are the only company that thinks like that.

Most games look the same with 3D on or off, and with the exception of a couple launch games, all look better than they would on PSP.
As they should. The PSP was released in 2004 while the 3DS was a 2011 system.
Although the 3DS has the upper hand with AA and effects and whatnot, the differences don't really seem that compelling to me... I still think the PSP God Of War games look better than anything I've seen on the 3DS.

Koroviev

As has been stated, the worst case scenario is the discontinuation of the Vita. However, I don't see that happening. I think E3 will start to fill in the barebones release schedule and Sony will start offering more bundles. I know the recent GameStop bundle was a huge hit in my city. They ran out of the cases and most of the games before the promotion had even ended.

idk. Might just be me, but after 20 mins or so I can probably play MC3 better than any psp fps game. Just don't overthink it ;)

The biggest problem I have had with psp and vita is the abundant of ports with compromises.

It's way worse now that I picked up a ps3. Why pay more for a game that's missing graphical elements or modes or what not?

This is an important point. You don't want the supposed selling-point of your system to be that it can play most of the games offered on a system that you already own. The Vita needs "Gravity Rush" and more games like it. I certainly didn't buy an NDS and a 3DS for their ability to emulate a home console. I have them because they offer unique titles not available on any other system.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Although the 3DS has the upper hand with AA and effects and whatnot, the differences don't really seem that compelling to me... I still think the PSP God Of War games look better than anything I've seen on the 3DS.
Eh, there have been a number of 3DS games with shaders, textures, and effects all beyond what the PSP could have handled. RE:Revelations is one such game.

I believe one of the issues is simply that the 3DS main screen has an effectively lower resolution screen than the PSP. As a result, most 3DS games lacking AA appear to have very poor image quality. With its rendering capabilities, the 3DS would definitely appear much more impressive if it were provided a higher resolution screen but that was a sacrifice made in order to produce 3D.

I think the whole "it doesn't play UMDs" thing is a straw man argument, and I don't really believe that anyone would have bought the Vita for backward compatibility with UMDs despite their assertions to the contrary. I own about 300 UMDs (over 280 last time I updated my spreadsheet) and I bought Vita day one. I also bought a PSPgo day one. PSPgo was worth it for the form factor (it's my favorite "portable" system) and the Vita is worth it for the Vita games... Double-dipping on PSN at $10-$20 a pop on games I want to play on the PSPgo or Vita because I just can't stand to play them on my PSP3000 is a price I'm willing to pay because it's entirely voluntary, and I can still play all my UMDs on any of the several PSPs we've got lying around the house...

Dude, whatever you're smoking is bad, bad stuff. It would probably be best to get off it.

Just because you didn't mind leaving your UMD collection behind doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't is making up excuses. I upgraded from my PSP 1000 to the 2000 as soon as it came out but I skipped the PSPGo entirely. Want to guess why?

And the GoW PSP games weren't even the best looking games on PSP so... yeah, that's all that needs to be said about that.

Top Bottom