• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Mario Kart tracks?

Neiteio

uvPfgRh.gif
Hahaha, I know, right

The new Bowser's Castle is fantastic

BiggNife

Yoshi's Valley sucks. It like a kindergartener drew a bunch of scribbles on a piece of paper and they turned that into a MK track.

I used to hate N64 Rainbow Road but to MK8's credit they fixed a lot of what I hated about that track, namely the fact that it's so long and has so many guardrails so there's no risk.

People seem to hate Neo Bowser City but I've never had an issue with it. If nothing else, it's pretty fucking cool visually.

Neiteio

Neo Bowser City is so much fun. Just driiiifting in the rain! We just need an Akira x Mario Kart promo featuring Kaneda's bike.

Majora

Choco Mountain from MK64 is an abomination. Possibly the single ugliest thing Nintendo have ever released. Shit brown, shit brown, more shit brown and some fog. Just terrible.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I actually love a lot of the Wii ones, the Mushroom Gorge and the maple tree one especially.

What's that flat desert from the N64 that was also in 7? Maybe the single most forgettable track

Dad

Toad's Turnpike is just awful. Not even Mario Kart 8 could save it. About as much fun as driving on an actual congested highway

I actually love a lot of the Wii ones, the Mushroom Gorge and the maple tree one especially.

What's that flat desert from the N64 that was also in 7? Maybe the single most forgettable track
I can't come up with a single reason for why I love Kalimari Desert but I still do

Ritzboof

baby park is one for the ages. it can get reasonably intense, though. its all about ho you use your items, and one fuckup will lose you the race

Everything from double dash.
Looking at the list does show that a lot of them are worse than I remembered but come on, DK Mountain is one of the best MK tracks ever.
Mushroom Gorge. Those jumps on the giant mushrooms is like the easiest way to fuck up a really good lead in a race. Also, basically any track from MK Wii with half pipes.

I really dislikes MK Wii's track design in general. Not a single good one in that game. Worse Rainbow Road too.
Nah man, Mushroom Gorge is one of the better tracks of a game with an already stellar tracklist.

Toad's Factory, Maple Treeway and Coconut Mall are all amazing.

I really don't like Music Park or Water Park (which also has the laziest name ever, haha). I'm also slowly realizing I don't care for Wario's Gold Mine either.

Never liked the GCN version of Dry, Dry Desert. But I was happy with what they did with it in MK8. Maybe it's a combination of the lusher graphics and replacing the Pokey section at the end with a pool, but it feels much more fun to play on.

Stopdoor

Yeah, Dolphin Shoals is kind of bad, but it's also pretty forgettable and never even seems to come up in online voting lol

Forgettable. What.

How is surfing a giant eel, emerging from the ocean, looping around in anti-grav and jumping an active whirlpool not the coolest thing ever.

Myriadis

Baby Park is the 8 player Smash of Mario Kart, ridiculously hectic. A massive blast when playing with friends. So not that one.

Rainbow Road 64 is unnecessarily long for three laps, but they fixed it in MK8 and it's good on its own. So not that one either.

Kalimari Desert is really boring, I would say that one.

Nanashrew

Banned
There are good tracks from Double Dash :C

I think most have issues with Double Dash itself cause quite a few tracks from that game were on Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, and 7.

Let me just target two tracks that most might overlook in this discussion, there are worse tracks but let me just vent...

Mushroom Gorge Wii: See on paper the concept behind this track is actually cool, music is nice, so what's the problem Owl?! HUH?
Well see the whole bouncy mushroom mechanic leads to a hot mess, here are a list of things that greatly affect the bouncing...
- Being shrunk
- Being Mega
- Boosting with shrooms
- Superstar
- Thundercloud
- Being hit by anything while over a shroom
As a result hitting the item boxes before the shroom string in the cave and getting speed increasing things will pretty much cause you to overshoot the correct bounce paths if you dare to use them.
And certain events just lead to you being kinda screwed on this stretch, the inconsistency would drive me nuts online.

Bowser's Castle MK7
Bowser's Castle may be a series of often recurring tropes, but you can always rely on a great obstacle course channelling the spirit of the platforming titles into a kart race.
Until MK7 came along that is.
The track is shockingly bland, there's surprisingly little going on, the underwater lava room is an aesthetic misfire, seriously what's going on in there? you don't have to put water in there guys. Compare it to any of the Bowser Castles around it and it's the clear dud.
On a similar note check MK DS for the rainbow road equivalent.

Baby park is pretty great if you're playing Double Dash with frantic items, otherwise it's complete trash, truly a course of extremes.

KraytarJ

The Mario Kart 8 version of Rainbow Road 64. They jazzed it up to such a prefect degree that had they not made it a single lap it might be my favourite track ever but that one choice completely ruins it. In stead of a beautiful marathon it's a garbled sprint that completely loses the essence of what made the original so good.

Ice Ice Outpost in 8 is ass.
It's just so bland, in track design, overall aesthetic, music, colour palettes, even the shortcuts are boring.
My least favourite for sure along with Cheese Land

Fumpster

Grumble Volcano stresses me out when I play it. It's just the general atmosphere, music, and track design that makes it feel so tense.

The Mario Kart 8 version of Rainbow Road 64. They jazzed it up to such a prefect degree that had they not made it a single lap it might be my favourite track ever but that one choice completely ruins it. In stead of a beautiful marathon it's a garbled sprint that completely loses the essence of what made the original so good.

I love the hell out of Mario Kart 64, but some of you really enjoyed going over that track THREE times? I don't get that. The music is great, it's colorful, but it definitely gets a little dull after a while.

Nanashrew

Banned

But the original wasn't good.

Wiped89

Ah the thread that makes me realise the UK names are far superior to the US ones.

Melody Motorway > Music Park
Wuhu Mountain Loop > Waka Wuhu (seriously what does that even mean?)
Wario's Galleon > Wario's Shipyard
Piranha Plant Pipeway > Piranha Plant Slide (lol)

There's loads more

Ogodei

ICE ICE OUTPOST.

This is a good answer. It's like they took an internal-use test stage, gave it some easy art assets and farted it out for DLC. Bland as hell (though i still pick it online once in a while, if the other options are too far on the chaotic side like Big Blue).

Yoshi's Valley purely because the N64 could not handle it. The idea was solid, being that there are a variety of paths to take. The problem is that the N64's cpu is not powerful enough to keep track of who's where, so until you're back on the main path you don't know what place you're in,

That was by design. You can tell because you can change the UI to show every racer around the border of the screen and the game knows everyone's exact position. It just obscures the icons with ? Blocks to make it a mystery to you. I actually loved that idea

Mentok

Banned
Donut plains 3 is straight trash to me. I hated it back in SMK and I hate it in MK8.

THANK YOU! I friggin hated this track. The fact it was the first race on the special cup, always ruined it for me.

I also couldn't stand N64's Sherbet Land.

Choco Mountain from MK64 is an abomination. Possibly the single ugliest thing Nintendo have ever released. Shit brown, shit brown, more shit brown and some fog. Just terrible.

You're the ugliest thing Nintendo ever released
(well Majora isn't a looker)
Choco Mountain is amazing, some of the most fun races I've had happened on this track.

N64 has a bunch of other boring and uneventful tracks like Kalamari Desert, but realistically the worst one is probably out of the original Mario Kart or Super Circuit. Something like Mario Circuit GBA or Bowser's Castle 1 SNES, which everyone forgot because they don't have anything remotely memorable in them.

Banned
Rainbow Road from MK64 sucks. If you're gonna have a course that takes 6+ minutes to play it better be interesting, and it is not. It's a long boring path with rails the whole way. Nothing exciting ever happens and no, the nice music that course has doesn't make up for it. It's total slog to play and I hate it.

Thankfully Nintendo had the sense to fix it for MK8. I actually really like it in that game.

Top Bottom