• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy HD Remasters... of 16-bit classics?

Octagon

I'd probably go for it if i liked the game and if they were really being carefully about not altering the art style of the game.

Oh, was it? They always felt exactly the same to me, control/momentum-wise.

What? No! how you dare... shame on you.

No, but seriously. There're jumps that you just can't just do on All Stars SMB1 where on the OG one, you could. Also, if I remember correctly, when mario touches the ground after a forward jump, it has a little slide that isn't present on the Nes version. I could name a lot more, but it's been years since I played All Stars.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Phantasy Star I - IV please! 2.5D of these games, so good. I'm aware they were released on a collection disc, but they weren't remastered, were they?

I & II were remade in Japan for the PS2. It's not QUITE HD in the modern sense, but it is at a higher resolution with a much larger color palette and totally redesigned visuals that put them more in line with the Online games.

They are alright. For the most part the graphics are decent enough, but things like the dungeons in PS1 look really cheap when done with low budget 3D instead of the amazing full screen scrolling in the SMS game. The music in both versions was terrible. Various things felt weird about them, like the speed and balance.

That's the major issues with these games. If they were built on top of the old ones with just new graphics, that'd be fine for the most part, but most of the time they're recreated from the ground up, and anyone who's spent any significant time with the originals will detect something off about them, whether intentional or not.

I just remembered another example of a remastered 16-bit game:

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection.

FINAL-FANTASY-IV-Complete-Collection-Screens-PSP.jpg

What was the consensus on that? Good or bad update?

I love the graphics in the FFIV remake, except for the main characters. They've changed them for the worse, which is weird because everything else is basically more detailed versions of the original sprites. If they had kept the original designs for the main characters, it would have been a perfect 2D remake.

It's so easy to make "HD sprites" look bad through cheap production methods. If the devs had the same attention to detail that was put into KOF XIII then I'd consider buying them, but I'd absolutely hate it if everything looks as bland and amateur as SSFII HDR. Blegh. Lot's of 2D holds up really well if it's done right to begin with so it's a bit hard to justify the amount of work required to update those games to "HD."

I wouldn't mind. But few would pay full price for these.

Id be more interested in 'spiritual' remakes like ff4 ds.

Or do it like Phoenix wright iOS. Free HD update.

Scavenger

Depends on the execution. I prefer HD remakes like the recent re-release of Sonic CD. Proper widescreen, 60fps and scanlines are all that is needed.

Ubersnug

Being the Amiga whore that I am, I have a list the size of my arm of games I would love to see given the HD treatment.

Right at the top of that list would be Paradroid 90, Uridium 2 and Walker.

Binabik15

The one game I came here to post.

We're now brothers for life, on the Streets.... ...of Rage.

That was one of the first games I could play. The first console game, but I played a few pc games before. My neighbour had a Sega Mega Drive and we played this and some Wrestling game. I bought it on Steam, but it's not the same without a controller. Ah, childhood.

And YES, I'd buy a lot of games with updated graphics. Without updated graphics if they're on a handheld, but only if performance is perfect. There's so many great games lost to OS problems, 10000 FPS or super speed problems etc. For a big pc/tv screen I'd like their graphics to be remade, because low res sprites on big screens are not pretty. Impractical, too, because they're either using a small portion of the screen or horribly blown up. On small handheld screens, just give me the games.

I'd buy a Jagged Alliance 2 remake working on W7 in a hearbeat. I'd buy a straight port to Vita/3DS. Oh yeah. At a high price. For pure fanboyism/nostalgia I'd let a dev punch me in the face if I got Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate or Shadow of the Horned Rat on Vita.

galvatron

Play Mario 1 NES and the All-Stars version back to back, you'll feel the difference.

This. All-stars is horrible for me if for no other reason than scrolling the backgrounds. All my jump timing is based on background position in the original SMB games, so All-Stars is really disorienting.

I'd buy a remake, but an "update" is a lot easier to get right. Otherwise, you're going to need to put in the painstaking adherence to hitboxes and other details of the original that was shown in HD Remix and Puzzle fighter HD...and then still likely fail like those two games did...

I also wonder how many of you would actually want an HD remake if you had access to an RGB setup. That's a big upgrade from the connections most of us were using during the 16-bit era.

beril

On one hand, you're right. On the other, I'm just talking about swapping out assets, leaving the original code untouched.

Except that's not possible. And even if it were it would be awful. Things like animations, tiling and paralax really needs to be reconsidered completely when you're working in a higher resolution than 240p. The animation in SSF2THDR makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Dylan

I'd rather see new games made in a similar fashion - There are already too many remakes being made.

Yeah, on second thought, as pumped as I might get for a Super Metroid / ALTTP remake / FFVI remake, I would prefer if they just made new games in these styles! I know it has been said a thousand times, but it pains me that companies were so quick to abandon this type of game design after 3D became possible.

ScOULaris

Except that's not possible. And even if it were it would be awful. Things like animations, tiling and paralax really needs to be reconsidered completely when you're working in a higher resolution than 240p. The animation in SSF2THDR makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm mistakenly thinking in 3D-game-development terms, where one can easily swap out one model for another.

jimi_dini

I originally played this:
JMKvQl.jpg

and was
Yk0dPl.png

...then bought this
MLD0Bl.jpg

This changed me to:
S2yoQl.jpg

So to summarize yes I did, but it sucked

And i don't know if Monkey Island 1/2 are to be considered 16-bit games. They had 4-bit/8-bit graphics, although the code was 16-bit. I would definitely not call Sam'n Max a 32-bit game. It still had 8-bit graphics, but used 32-bit code.

RedSwirl

I'd probably go for it if i liked the game and if they were really being carefully about not altering the art style of the game.

Basically this. If they could get Final Fantasy VI looking like Complete Collection but in 1080p, I would possibly pay $60 for it.

I think that's pretty much a total remake though. They're probably more likely to be made if it's just a matter of dumping the original code into new paint like SSF2THDR and Halo Anniversary. Hell, even just a straight ROM of Super Metroid running in 1440 x 1080 on Wii-U Virtual Console would be excellent.

Will be HD remasters of:

Super Contra
UN Squadron
Act Raiser
Super Mario World
DKC
Hook
Final Fight
Ecco
Battletoads
Chrono Trigger/Cross

Make it so.

I originally played this:
JMKvQl.jpg

TMNT abomniation.
indeed. as long as they're not done like this. enhance my memories; don't shit on them, developers.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
And i don't know if Monkey Island 1/2 are to be considered 16-bit games. They had 4-bit/8-bit graphics, although the code was 16-bit. I would definitely not call Sam'n Max a 32-bit game. It still had 8-bit graphics, but used 32-bit code.

The "bits" of a system don't necessarilly have anything to do with color depth. Monkey Island 1, 2 and Sam & Max all had 256 color depth, which is technically 8-bit color. But that same depth is more commonly associated with the 16-bit console era, since the SNES could display that number of colors.

So what is general gaf's opinion on ff4 psp?

I found the character sprite art to be plain awful. And the lack of ds stuff is pretty disappointing. Rest of the stuff were fine.

The "bits" of a system don't necessarilly have anything to do with color depth. Monkey Island 1, 2 and Sam & Max all had 256 color depth, which is technically 8-bit color. But that same depth is more commonly associated with the 16-bit console era, since the SNES could display that number of colors.

The bits are actually a reference to the CPU if I'm not mistaken. And Sega Genesis wasn't even 8-bit visually-- it was 6-bit.

As much as I love SSF2T:HD, its one of the most hated games here at GAF. You won't get any positive replies with that image...! :p
I really wonder how SSF2T:HD would look if it was an accurate representation of the original sprites and not a massive style change. That being said if they made some tweaks to how it is now I'd be okay with it.

The problems I had were:
- Sprites are blocky in 1080p
- Shoto's neutral pose animation is jerky compared to the original
- Ken's face/hair look really stupid
- Cammy's eyes aren't the right color

Had they fixed those issues I'd be fine with the way it looks.

Not like HDR. More like Sonic CD or Third Strike Online Edition.

I still wish they had redrawn the backgrounds in 3rd Strike online and gave a widescreen option by making the visual field slightly wider (without changing the size of the play field) and cropping the top and bottom. But yeah, 3rd Strike Online is probably one of the best remasters ever made. I could only dream of something like that happening with MK. I think the problem is when you have people who made the games originally still in charge of the remakes, they don't have as much reverence for the original game. Thats the case in most remakes, but with Capcom, all of the people responsible for the classic SF games are gone so when they go back and remake those games, theres a lot of love and care that goes into it because the people working on them are fans.

beril

Well actually SNES had 16-bit colors. But it was all palette graphics of course so the sprites and tiles were only 4-bit.

But yeah, as said, the 8-bit 16-bit monicer only refers to the cpu and is technically a pretty worthless term when speaking about graphics. But Dos and Windows 3.11 are 16-bit systems so that makes Monkey Island 16bit I guess.

I think there are some 8-bit games that scream HD remake more that 16-bit

1758448-cv3_cast_super.png

castlevania3.jpg

Castlevania 3 being a perfect example. If this happened I'd be willing pay.

Gameboy415

Not like HDR. More like Sonic CD or Third Strike Online Edition.

Agreed. Sonic CD on PSN/LIVE is an amazing port of the original game that preserves the original graphic-style and added a few modern bonuses (trophies/achievements, new playable character, etc.).

On the other hand, the TMNT: Turtles in Time remake a few years back took away the charm of the original game by replacing the sprites with mediocre 3D models and was quite disappointing, in my opinion.

As long as HD-remakes of 16-bit games preserved the original 2D art-style (through up-scaled pixels or re-drawn vector art), I would be all for it.
I would love to see a bunch of my favorite SNES/Genesis games redone with Scott Pilgrim-style HD graphics!

rvy

Banned
I would buy any HD remaster that respects the following guidelines:

• Developed by the same people who originally created the game;
  • Runs at locked 60fps and 1080p (and re-drawn sprites if it was 2D);
  • Doesn't add bugs and removes the ones that existed in the original;

It can be from any console era in history for all I care. Who wouldn't want Comix Zone in HD, with completely re-drawn sprites? Streets of Rage? Shinobi III? Strider 2? Street Fighter II with proper sprites, instead of that ugly shit we got instead? I'd rather pay for these than most of the new games that are coming out.

beril

As long as HD-remakes of 16-bit games preserved the original 2D art-style (through up-scaled pixels or re-drawn vector art), I would be all for it.
I would love to see a bunch of my favorite SNES/Genesis games redone with Scott Pilgrim-style HD graphics!

ermmm... are you sure you know what HD means?

pax217

"General Chaos" would get a purchase from me... but there aren't a lot of 16-bit classics I'd be interested in playing over what I have now on this generation. For nostalgia, maybe-- but that's about it.

Top Bottom