• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy HD Remasters... of 16-bit classics?

orioto

Good Art™
Rayman Origins looks great, but a screenshot on Rayman Origins still looks like a game. What you make are explicitly pictures. There's no way I could see anything that looks like what you make animate and interact with other objects cohesively.

It wouldn't look that well composed all the time but i mean those asets and light could be the same.

Let's just dream for a little.
Folks, imagine this made into whole games:

wallpaper-up-in-the-sky.jpg

Zebus_cave_by_Orioto.jpg

I would gladly play this on a big screen in all it's HD pixel glory.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I would pay for remakes of all the classic co-op beat em ups like SoR or 8bit River City Ransom. Speaking of remakes of N64 games I would pay a 100 dollars for WWF no mercy remake.

Oh and I mean I'd want those Phantasy Star games the same way Final Fantasy IV complete for the PSP is.

This:

phantasystar2.jpg

To this:

615911_20110419_screen016.jpg

Yes, please! :)

The Japanese only PS2 remakes of 1 and 2 might interest you, they were originally meant to have a localization when IV was remade but unfortunately IV's remake fell through.

200757-sega-ages-2500-vol-17-phantasy-star-generation-2-playstation.png

phantasy-star-generation-2-20050405071836148_640w.jpg

Monkey-Island.jpg

So I'm gonna say no.

You forget the MI2 remake which was a thousand time better done than the first one.
monkey-island-2-lechucks-revenge-special-edition-20100419025421859_640w.jpg

monkey-island-2-lechucks-revenge-special-edition-20100419025418484_640w.jpg

Retained the art style while polishing it up.

The best remasters are those that act as if they just supplanted the original high resolution art into the game. Would absolutely kill for a Curse of Monkey Island remaster with the Bill Tiller art at high resolution for current age PC's.

RPGCrazied

The Japanese only PS2 remakes of 1 and 2 might interest you, they were originally meant to have a localization when IV was remade but unfortunately IV's remake fell through.

Wow, cool. Too bad they're in Japanese, and its only the first 2? Maybe one day the whole set will get this kind of look and released in other places.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
IOS controls like shit, and the PSP rendition had some nifty stuff added, however it might be a bit off topic, but it's a "feel thing" in this case.

Touch controls are shite, but I assumed he was talking about the graphics, not the controls (the PSP would obviously have the upper hand there).

Vitet

So basically:

- Virtual Console: "What? Not even a single filter? Nintendo you lazy bastards if I want to play SMB I just grab my NES and plug it!"

- 2D remakes: "WTF is this shit, that's not the art style AT ALL. It's just some dumb drawings made by a monkey who doesn't know shit (my shit) to how to redraw a sprite!"

- 3D remakes: "MY GOD. Take this aliased crap away, the animations are recorded from drunk monkeys ?"

A developer will have a hard time deciding how to do an HD remake reading this thread xD

Eusis

I'd prefer Phantasy Star remakes that stayed closer to that 80s sci-fi/anime style anyway. Or better modernized it, same general style but looking like it was drawn today instead, rather than doing a complete overhaul.

RiverBed

Banned
Let's just dream for a little.
Folks, imagine this made into whole games:

wallpaper-up-in-the-sky.jpg

Zebus_cave_by_Orioto.jpg

I would gladly play this on a big screen in all it's HD pixel glory.

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope next gen can allow for such graphics playable. I would kill to retain that childhood memory of pure amazement and awesomeness and thats the only way; to make concept art playable.....
Fuck, it ain't happening any time soon...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd be fine with Sonic CD treatments, really. Wish my Genesis Collection could run in fullscreen.

VerTiGo

Banned
If Nintendo only produced HD remakes of 16-bit greats on the Wii U I would dare call it the greatest system ever. So yes...

Decado

I'd buy a Jagged Alliance 2 remake working on W7 in a hearbeat. I'd buy a straight port to Vita/3DS. Oh yeah. At a high price. For pure fanboyism/nostalgia I'd let a dev punch me in the face if I got Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate or Shadow of the Horned Rat on Vita.
It doesn't? I was planning on loading it up again (once I find my disc) and trying some of the mods :(

To be honest, I think a game like Symphony of the Night looks alot better than say Street Fighter HD Remix and Rayman Origins.

Creating something with depth and beauty out of a limited amount of pixels just fascinates me. Not too mention the financial benefits of it.

There doesn't seem to be much of a nuance anymore when talking about graphics when even portables are supposed to look like Uncharted and Killzone.

Not really. I'd buy re-releases that packed as much value as Sonic CD. They need to be doing that. Cram in loads of extras, filtering options, widescreen support, maybe re-do the soundtrack- but I don't give a damn if all that's new is that it looks 'HD'.

If you're redoing the visuals, you might as well remake the whole game.

You know, originally I really liked the idea of HD remasters, like ICO/Shadow and Sly Cooper and all that, but I'd buy them and never feel compelled to actually play them. I guess it's because I don't mind the old graphics, though Shadow of the Coll obviously played better.

But no. I wouldn't buy HD remasters of 16 bit classics. To me it's almost like adding color to the old black and white classic films. I'd rather play them in their original form.

Gavavva

Banned
I would love some of the classics done in HD, like Super Metroid, or in the classic style but as the pics above.

But I'm gonna have to say I would LOVE to have some new games actually use the old engines... Like for example an Offical Super Metroid 2, using the original sprites and some new ones, all new areas... They just ooze charm.

Metallix87

If they ever make an Orioto Entertainment System consisting exclusively of 16Bit-remakes done with Orioto's art I will pay big bucks for it.

Also check out the remakes of Toki and Joe & Mac by french developer Golgoth Studio:

Toki:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvJnQjDoXY

pure gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQg9CRJgN0

Joe & Mac:
http://golgothstudio.com/devblog/category/joe-mac/

UGH... I had forgotten all about the Toki remake.

Any word on that ever coming out?

plc268

So long as you can easily switch to the original graphics (you know, like the Monkey Island remakes), then I'm completely fine with it. I would love to replay some of these games with a fresh coat of paint, but I wouldn't want to lose the originals in the process.

I think the biggest problem with stuff remastered stuff like SFHDR or that great Orioto artwork is that the animation would have to match or else it looks really out of place. If Super Metroid looked like those awesome mockups but still animated like the 16 bit game it would create a strange uncanny valley of 2D hand drawn art. Updating all the animation is what is probably more intensive than just updating the pixel art to most publishers and developers. I'd settle for something that retains the classic 2D 16-bit look but maybe filters it to look good on an HD, wide screen display.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I really liked that Metroid pic. I've never played them or many of Nintendo's classics but I could see them doing something like that for the Wii-U be an excellent way to appeal to newcomers who haven't experienced the games yet and it would be good for nostalgic fans who want that classic gameplay with a fresh, shiny coat of paint! I for one would jump onboard for that.

Holy shit. Why didn't XSEED or NIS pick this up for localization? I would pay absurd amounts of money for those games..

ScOULaris

So long as you can easily switch to the original graphics (you know, like the Monkey Island remakes), then I'm completely fine with it. I would love to replay some of these games with a fresh coat of paint, but I wouldn't want to lose the originals in the process.

Yeah, I agree with this. HD Remix did this as well, but GAF still hated on it. Some of the changes made to the game other than just the graphics irked GAFers, I guess, but the game was meant to be an iteration/sequel to SSF2T than just a re-release.

Also, WOW @ those Phantasy Star I and II remake screenshots. ◉_◉

Top Bottom